sunday's news 30th june includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

sunday's news 30th june includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

49 day's to go

Shoulders above: Andy Carroll dances in Las Vegas
Confirmed: Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

Jimmy Greaves on why West Ham fans shouldn't get too distressed by pictures of Andy Carroll partying

The football great tells the Sunday People's Dave Kidd that there used to be a time when you'd fail a medical for having no alcohol in your bloodstream

Let's get one thing straight: Even at the height of my drinking, I never dressed up as a giant chipmunk while sipping champagne in a Las Vegas nightspot.

Nor did I climb on the shoulders of a fellow party-goer, bare-chested and in a Superman cape while firing a smoke gun.

But West Ham fans should not get too distressed at photos of Andy Carroll, who has just cost the club £15million, going ballistic in the Nevada desert at 4am, 36 hours before his Hammers medical.

Because there was a time when you’d have failed a medical at West Ham if they found out there was NO alcohol in your bloodstream.

Not that new signings had to undergo any sort of medical at English clubs in my playing days.

At least we were responsible drinkers down at West Ham.

When Bobby Moore, Clyde Best, Brian Dear and I were banned for a match after Ron Greenwood discovered we had gone out for a few on the eve of an FA Cup defeat at Blackpool, the fifth member of our party was club physio Robbie Jenkins – how much more medically responsible could you get?

We were banned not because we went out boozing but because we went out boozing and then lost 4-0.

We had a far heavier session in Manchester the day before my Hammers debut. I woke up feeling rough as a pair of sandpaper underpants, yet we went to Maine Road and beat City, the champions of England, by five goals to one.

We never got banned after that one, funnily enough.

After Blackpool, we were suspended for what turned out to be a 4-1 home defeat by Derby.

The following week I scored the only goal at Coventry and Bobby Moore ran half the length of the field to deliver a V-sign at Ron – the most emotional I ever saw Bob on a football field.

Earlier in my career, when I signed for The Filth, I made my debut in a reserve match at Plymouth. I’d just come back from AC Milan, amid plenty of talk that I was a prima donna who just wasn’t up for it in Italy. So the best way I could endear myself to my new team-mates was to go drinking with them before and during the trip home on the sleeper from Devon.

On that journey we earned ourselves a real badge of honour when a Rugby Football Union bigwig, on the same train, made an official complaint about our rowdy behaviour.

Those were the days when rugby players were regarded as the most hardened drinkers of all, and it was a real feather in our caps.

So despite his strange taste in fancy dress, you certainly won’t hear me condemning Carroll for his heavy night in Vegas.

It’s a shame players cannot go out drinking together more often – partly because of increased fitness levels, which make them athletes first and footballers second and partly because of the curse of mobile-phone cameras.

They are missing out on a lot of enjoyment and camaraderie, and I have always been convinced that, whatever they earn, modern
players won’t look back on their careers with the same sort of fondness as we did.

Summer holidays for top players have always been pretty brief – no more than a month between the end of a post-season tour and the start of pre-season training.

For me, married with young kids, summer holidays were generally a time to go away and do a little less drinking than I’d normally do!

Not so Carroll, it seems, who is an uncomplicated footballer and an uncomplicated bloke.

He isn’t a £35m player, or even a £15m one, and his status as a member of the England squad shows how limited Roy Hodgson’s striking options have become.

But Carroll is a big old-fashioned centre-forward who works hard on the pitch and plays hard off it.

Which makes him all right by me.

i do not care what the big lad does in his spare time within reason as long as he does the businees for west ham that is all that matters

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... wn-2011539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
click the link to watch the video

Watch Andy Carroll let his hair down in Las Vegas nightclub 36 hours before medical with West Ham

The England striker enjoyed a night on the town – and we are not talking about a quiet evening of roulette, the Sunday People reports

Soccer star Andy Carroll was boozing until 4am as he let his hair down just 36 hours before having a medical with West Ham.

The England striker enjoyed a night on the town in Las Vegas – and we are not talking about a quiet evening of roulette.

Sin City revellers were gobsmacked when a 6ft 3in chipmunk bounded on to the dance floor and pulled off its head to reveal Premier League favourite Andy, 24.

Not content with that, West Ham’s new £15million signing returned to the floor wearing a Superman cape and perched on a pal’s shoulders.

Clutching a bottle of wine and a glowstick in one hand and a bottle of champagne in the other, bare-chested Andy looked a true party animal.

He also brandished a “club cannon” and fired smoke into the crowd, finally calling it a day as dawn came up.

One Vegas holidaymaker seated near Andy and his pals said: “They were really going for it. He wasn’t acting like a guy who had something important coming up – he just seemed like part of a group who were really out to enjoy themselves. There were champagne and beer bottles all over the table and they seemed determined to enjoy every second of it.”

Andy went clubbing at the five-floor Hakkasan party resort – known as the King of Clubs – in the heart of the Vegas strip.

The 80,000 square feet venue is part of the legendary MGM Grand complex and cost an

estimated £125million.

Hakkasan’s multi-million dollar nightclub, with arena standard sound and lighting system, is one of the world’s top party venues. Stars Jennifer Lopez and Paris Hilton were at the opening night earlier this year.

A behind-the-scenes area at the club is stocked with costumes for DJs to wear, which provided fun-loving Andy with his chipmunk and Superman gear.

Hours later he was on a plane to London to seal his move from Liverpool to West Ham – and sailed through a rigorous medical. He had been on loan at the East London club since 2012.

Hammers chairman David Gold told fans: “I am delighted to inform you that he has passed with flying colours.”

Andy has signed a six-year deal worth £100,000 a week – more than enough to pay for future antics in Las Vegas.

why have they dug this up now as this was a couple of weeks ago the twat s

On the move: Jonjo Shelvey (left) could head to West Ham, while Carlton Cole (right) may head to Turkey

West Ham among trio of clubs in hunt for Liverpool's Shelvey

Liverpool will let England Under-21 midfielder Jonjo Shelvey leave and boyhood heroes West Ham, Swansea and Norwich are all interested.

Besiktas are one of two Turkish clubs looking at signing striker Carlton Cole after his release by West Ham.

Cole, 29, is willing to consider a move abroad, with Galatasaray interested, along with Premier League Hull.

come home lonjo

Nabil Ghilas set to snub Premier League interest and join Porto

Algerian forward Nabil Ghilas has indicated that Porto are in pole position to sign him from Moreirense and beat off competition from the Premier League.

Ghilas has reportedly caught the eye of several clubs this summer after netting 13 goals last season for Portuguese outfit Moreirense.

West Ham United, West Bromwich Albion Everton have all been credited with an interest in the 23-year-old, who was also linked with a move to Marseille in January.

However, his desire to play in Europe has given Porto the edge and he has suggested a deal could be imminent.

"I am much closer to Porto than any other team," he explained.

"I would like to play in the Champions League and that makes a big difference.

"To go to England could have been perfect but when the biggest club in the league come to you, you take notice,

"Nothing is done yet but we are not far from agreeing everything with them."

Midfielder set to confirm new West Ham deal

West Ham midfielder Gary O’Neil has revealed that he has signed a new contract with the Hammers.

The 30-year-old was out of contract and named on the Premier League’s released list but it appears that a new deal has been agreed.

“Everything’s been agreed,” O’Neil told Sky Sports. “I didn’t need a medical, obviously they know me quite well. All the terms are agreed and everyone’s happy, so I’ll just sign Monday morning.

“It took a little while. With everyone being on holiday stuff drags out, but we got there in the end… We were always sorting it out and I was confident I would end up there.”

good honest pro welcome back

Arsenal have made a £20m offer for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, 27, which will spark a rival bid from Chelsea.

Sunday Mirror

But new Manchester United manager David Moyes, who officially starts his job on Monday, has already had a secret meeting with Rooney and wants the England international to stay at Old Trafford.

The Sun

Chelsea have made a £45m bid for Napoli forward Edinson Cavani, although the offer does not meet the 26-year-old's £52m buy-out clause with the Serie A side.

Daily Mail

Manchester City's interest has switched from signing Uruguay international Cavani to bringing in 29-year-old Brazil attacker Fred, who plays for Fluminese, and Benfica forward Oscar Cardozo, 30.

Daily Mail

New City boss Manuel Pellegrini will attempt to sign Sevilla's 27-year-old striker Alvaro Negredo, who has an £18m buy-out clause in his contract with the Spanish club.

Daily Mirror

A new-look Arsenal frontline could feature 29-year-old Chelsea striker Fernando Torres partnering Real Madrid forward Gonzalo Higuain, 25, if Gunners manager Arsene Wenger gets his way.

Sunday People

Aston Villa have placed a £25m price tag on 22-year-old Belgium striker Christian Benteke to put off interested clubs.

Sunday Mirror

Villa have yet to receive a bid for out-of-favour forward Darren Bent, despite Newcastle, Fulham, Crystal Palace and Hull having been linked with the 29-year-old.

The Sun

Newcastle have said it would take £25m for them to sell midfielder Yohan Cabaye, 27, as they seek to fend off interest in the France international from Arsenal, Manchester united, Monaco and Paris St-Germain.

Daily Star

Liverpool are willing to sell Jonjo Shelvey, 21, with West Ham, Norwich and Swansea keen on signing the midfielder.

Daily Mail

Yossi Benayoun's agent says West Bromwich Albion are among several clubs interested in the 33-year-old midfielder, who is a free agent after being released by Chelsea.

Skysports.com

The Baggies are also keen on recruiting Chelsea striker Demba Ba on a season-long loan.

Sunday Times (subscription required)

Wolves winger Bakary Sako, 25, wants the League One club to lower their asking price so he can move to Fulham, who are unwilling to pay £4m for the Frenchman.

The Observer

Wayne Rooney will seek assurances about his prospective role in the Manchester United team when he meets this week with manager David Moyes.

Sunday Telegraph

Newcastle United's contingent of French players face being ­ordered to take intensive English lessons by manager Alan Pardew.

Sunday Mirror

The Filthmanager Andre Villas-Boas says he will quit football management within a decade - and then take part in the Dakar Rally.

Sunday Mirror

Mexico striker Jesus Escoboza has shown he is a true predator in front of goal after running on and scoring against Mali at the Under-20 World Cup - despite losing his boot.

Full story: Metro

BAKARY SAKO is begging Wolves to let him leave for Fulham.

The French midfielder was a £2.2million arrival a year ago and is desperate for a crack at the Premier League.

Sako, 25, said: “I’d like things sorted. I am only being ambitious.”

TITUS BRAMBLE is wanted by Turkish club Besiktas.

The defender, 31, was released by Sunderaland in May.

STEVE BRUCE is in pole position to sign Grant Holt.

Hull boss Bruce wants a proven top-flight striker and the Norwich skipper, 32, is eager to return north after tumbling down the Canaries’ pecking order.

The hitman, available for £2million, has moved his family back to Cumbria and will happily fit into the Tigers’ pay structure.

ROY CARROLL has been offered a one-year deal to stay with Greek champs Olympiakos.

The ex-Manchester United keeper, 35, has overcome both drink and gambling problems to win successive titles.

NEW Millwank boss Agent lOMAS bidding to lure Stoke winger Matty Etherington.

Lomas wants old West Ham pal Etherington, 31, to lead the Lions’ bid to reach the Premier League.

Etherington does not yet know if he fits into Potters chief Mark Hughes’ Britannia plans.

PABLO OSVALDO is heading to La Liga, frustrating long-term admirers Tottenham and Southampton.

The Roma and Italy striker, 27, is closing in on a £15million switch to Spanish side Atletico Madrid.

http://bl.definebabe.com/0/04/21640/01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Re: sunday's news 30th june includes west ham

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Sin City revellers were gobsmacked when a 6ft 3in chipmunk bounded on to the dance floor and pulled off its head to reveal Premier League favourite Andy, 24.

Hahaha, what a sight that would have been.
Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

cockney hammer wrote:i do not care what the big lad does in his spare time within reason as long as he does the businees for west ham that is all that matters
Hear hear :thup:

Cheers for the news CH
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

The odds that even a single person in a Las Vegas nightclub has ever even heard of Andy Carroll much less would recognize him by sight are pretty small.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
rciron
Has liked: 297 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Top drawer work as ever CH, thank you .

That's quite a nice piece from Jimmy Greaves on Andy Carroll .
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

i do not care what the big lad does in his spare time within reason as long as he does the businees for west ham that is all that matters
Or just to be pedantic, say we are in a relegation battle or in a battle for a European place or a semi-final of a cup and one point or one goal could secure it,
We are paying our top striker £100k a week and he just misses that game because of an injury that he could maybe have been back a couple of days earlier from if he hadnt been on the piss,
We miss out on a day at Wembley, a trip to Europe or even worse get relegated on goal difference, but thats ok as long as Andy is enjoying spunking his £100k that is coming out of our season ticket money on a few more beers,
Want to be a professional athlete and get paid like one = Behave like one
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:Top drawer work as ever CH, thank you .

That's quite a nice piece from Jimmy Greaves on Andy Carroll .

no problem pinks as you say it was a good article by jimmy greaves
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

west ham15 wrote:Cheers CH :thup:

no problem jamie hope you and the girls are well mate
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

Sort of helpful comments from Greaves, sort of entirely unhelpful at the same time.

Yes, footballers could do with being given a bit more breathing space in their lives. But no, they shouldn't be forgiven behaviour that compromises their capabilities as a player. If Greaves thinks he wouldn't have been any better if he'd kept off the bottle, he's laughably mistaken.

"Summer holidays for top players have always been pretty brief – no more than a month between the end of a post-season tour and the start of pre-season training."

How do they survive?
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Yeah all very well thanks, I was dragged round Romford yesterday for hours looking for there dresses they are going to wear at my sisters wedding! One of the worst days of my life haha

Looks like great weather today so i think we will go to the park :)

Have you got anything planned?
ishtar

Post by ishtar »

Should it matter what a footballer dose in closed season? I dont think so, anyway he was a Liverpool player at the time.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Or just to be pedantic, say we are in a relegation battle or in a battle for a European place or a semi-final of a cup and one point or one goal could secure it,
We are paying our top striker £100k a week and he just misses that game because of an injury that he could maybe have been back a couple of days earlier from if he hadnt been on the piss,
We miss out on a day at Wembley, a trip to Europe or even worse get relegated on goal difference, but thats ok as long as Andy is enjoying spunking his £100k that is coming out of our season ticket money on a few more beers,
Want to be a professional athlete and get paid like one = Behave like one

a valid point indeed but this was his holiday so i guiess he can let his hair down a little bit but as you rightly say as long as he behaves himself in the season when he should be fully commited to west ham ham that is the right way to go
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

west ham15 wrote:Yeah all very well thanks, I was dragged round Romford yesterday for hours looking for there dresses they are going to wear at my sisters wedding! One of the worst days of my life haha

Looks like great weather today so i think we will go to the park :)

Have you got anything planned?
no mate nothing planned to tied this diabetic lark wears me right down lol

could be worse mate could be a saturday and the irons are at home
PATISH

Post by PATISH »

Thank you CH as always

those that criticize Andy for partying in Vegas obviously never been to Vegas :wink:
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 435 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Cheers, CH.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

no problem chaps
Lotus61

Post by Lotus61 »

Thanks CH, and many, many thanks for the picture at the top.
Memories from my young days supporting the lads.

The A team in my heart, but the B team from the players names. (First letter)

Wish you well on the health side.
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

Good shot of Andy there, he's looking in good shape.