sunday's news 30th june includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Re: sunday's news 30th june includes west ham

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Thanks CH, great picture of the Boys of Sixty-something. That team would have been playing when my dad started taking me to games or very soon afterwards. It brings back good memories.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Here’s Hoping This West Ham Rumour Isn’t True

Gareth BarryAs always we are being linked with every name under the sun that appears to have fallen down the pecking order at their current clubs. Why is it that journalists feel the urge to link us with every second fiddle player, rather than first choice stars, is beyond me at times. The next person it appears that we are in pursuit of is Manchester City’s very own, Gareth Barry.

With imminent arrivals at the Etihad Stadium, Manuel Pellegrini will be looking to move on some of the deadwood that plagues the reserves and bench of an ever-growing City side of highly priced stars. One of those players happens to be Gareth Barry who hasn’t featured since the dominating performances of Yaya Toure increased and whilst the signings of Javi Garcia and Jack Rodwell didn’t help his situation either.

Manchester City have some talented midfield players, with the likes of Samir Nasri and David Silva already at the club. Whilst the signings of Jesus Navas and Fernandinho are only going to push Barry further towards the exit door.

There is no doubt Barry has had his fair share of criticism (some valid and some a little harsh) however, would he be capable of adding quality to our side, or just damage our wage bill and anger fans with lacklustre performances? I personally feel if Big Sam can help him develop a high level of fitness and if he wears the shirt with pride and determination, then he could offer us something. However, I cannot help but feel he is not what we need though. He is getting on in his career and it looks as though he just does not have the energy anymore and in this modern game, stamina and pace appear to be everything.

If we were to sign him, I could not see us getting more than a possible 2 good seasons out of him, until his body gives in to the pace of the game. Taking that into account, unless somehow he managed to help us on a cup run or finish in a Europa League spot, this to me is quite simply a no go and a huge step back.

The way I look at this rumour is, what can he offer us that Mark Noble, Kevin Nolan, Jack Collison, Joe Cole, Momo Diame and Co, cannot offer us? The answer is nothing apart from experience (I can imagine it being a high fee to pay for just experience).

There are many other targets we could be trying to snap up for cheaper fee’s, more potential/ability, as well as younger and more determined characters. Although, unless Big Sam fancies playing more of an attracting type of football, I believe our central midfield areas are covered with god quality and he should focus on weaker areas such as signing a player to play off Andy Carroll (other than Kevin Nolan), a talented right winger and some decent fullbacks. Gareth Barry however, should not be an avenue we go down.

Follow me on Twitter @JimboWHUFC77
bspur1

Post by bspur1 »

Jimbo cant work why we are linked with players down the pecking order at Chelsea and Man City and not there first team stars.
american 'ammer

Post by american 'ammer »

If my body looked like Andy Carroll's I wouldn't wear a shirt either.

Granted I've ordered the kettle bells, so I'm working on it. 8-)
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Every time I've watched Shelvey play he's come across as a rather unremarkable player. Nothing special at all, IMO.
Maybe others have seen more but I'm not too impressed.
kaybee15

Post by kaybee15 »

Thanks CH, blinding work as always :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

kaybee15 wrote:Thanks CH, blinding work as always :thup:

no problem mate
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

Carroll ? A disaster waiting to happen. Shelvey? never really impressed me. Barry? well past his best.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Post Horn Gallop wrote:Carroll ? A disaster waiting to happen. Shelvey? never really impressed me. Barry? well past his best.
The other two aint worth a rub,whats Carrolls problem then?
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Thanks Mate