wednesday's news 10th july includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

wednesday's news 10th july includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

39 day's to go

HOPE IN HULL ... ex-Hammer Carlton

Cole and Sammon on Hull menu

STEVE BRUCE is chasing Carlton Cole and Conor Sammon after having to ditch a £5million swoop for Charlie Austin.

Hull boss Bruce wants TWO strikers to boost his attacking options after the deal to get hitman Austin from Burnley collapsed when he failed a medical due to a knee problem.

The KC Stadium chief said: “The deal for Charlie is gone. I wouldn’t have thought it’s something we shall resurrect.

“I am gutted for the boy — this knee problem has come out of the blue.”

Bruce has already added George Boyd, Maynor Figueroa, Curtis Davies, Ahmed Elmohamady and Allan McGregor to his squad as the Tigers prepare for their latest Premier League punt.

But he still wants to make four more buys — a keeper and a midfielder as well as a brace of goalscorers.

He aims to hijack former West Ham and England star Cole’s move abroad and splash £2m on Derby’s Republic of Ireland ace Sammon.

Cole, 29, has had talks about going to America to play for LA Galaxy. He is currently in Turkey discussing a switch to Besiktas.

Sammon, 26, joined the Rams from Wigan in 2011 and hit eight goals for them last season.

Wanted: Stewart Downing is set to be subject of a bid from West Ham after failing to impress at Liverpool

Aerial threat: The move would see Downing again link up with Andy Carroll after playing together at Anfield
Tactical plan: Hammers boss Sam Allardyce hopes Downing will help get the best out of Carroll's ability

West Ham eyeing Downing move as Allardyce looks for Carroll service

West Ham are lining up a bid for Liverpool winger Stewart Downing as Sam Allardyce looks to rebuild his Hammers side.

Downing would become the east London club's second arrival from Anfield this summer after Andy Carroll completed a £15million deal to make his stay at Upton Park permanent.

Allardyce believes the two work well together, with Carroll aiming to thrive on the former Aston Villa winger's service. In fact, the manager first enquired about the 28-year-old at the end of last season and have since firmed up their interest.

Downing found himself out of Reds manager Brendan Rodgers' plans at the start of last season, and although he won his place back in the side Liverpool would be willing to part with him and get him off the wage bill.

They would have to accept signifincantly less than the £20m former manager Kenny Dalglish paid to take him to Anfield in 2011.

It would follow Carroll's cut-price deal from his record-breaking £35m move to Anfield from Newcastle.

The Hammers have already kicked off their pre-season schedule by thumping League of Ireland side Cork City 6-2 last weekend, with defender Titus Bramble, who is training with the team, handed a start.

West Ham set to renew interest in West Brom midfielder

West Ham are set to renew their interest in West Brom midfielder Graham Dorrans.

Sam Allardyce is keen to bring in another signing before the new season gets underway and wants to strengthen his midfield after Gary O'Neil went back on his decision to sign a new deal with the club.

West Ham tried to sign the Scottish international in 2010 when Gianfranco Zola was in charge but failed to complete the transfer.

Dorrans was told back in January that he could leave the club but he remained at the Hawthorns and played over 20 Premier League games.

But Steve Clarke seems set to leave him leave if they receive a suitable offer in the next few weeks.

Allardyce has already brought in Andy Carroll, Razvan Rat and Spanish goalkeeper Adrian and Dorrans could be the next arrival at Upton Park.

official site
Big Sam hails top flight diversity
http://www.whufc.com/articles/20130709/ ... 84_3232671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Mark Noble debate

Andy Carroll Mark NobleThis week the challenge is to write about Sunday’s penalty villain quickly turned penalty hero- and one of my favourite players- Mark Noble. Noble is, as we all know, a local lad, an academy product, and is West Ham through and through. He’s also the clubs longest serving player, and, as of 2014, will have put in 10 years of senior football at the club.

He’s been a mainstay in our midfield over the past years, bar taking some time off for a trapped nerve injury this season, and love him or hate him- he’s been pretty consistent.

With this in mind, the question I’ve been asked this week is if we rate him higher and let his mistakes slide a bit more than we would other players because he’s the closest thing we have to a home grown hero, or would we be equally happy to see him start regularly for us if he was a player who was born and raised elsewhere?

As I’ve said above, he’s one of my favourites- but I am conscious of the fact that he’s not the best player on the pitch. The reason he’s a favourite for me is his constant effort, dogged hard work, and passion. Seeing him cry after losing 4-3 to Spurs in 2007 (an incredibly hard fought loss) showed how much he genuinely cares about the club he plays for; something way too rare in football today. His passion for the club is undoubtedly because of his local upbringing, which has certainly appealed to many fans.

Unfortunately, he’s not a favourite with everyone. Arguments against him are… how to put this delicately… he’s not exactly an exciting or flair player per se, and well, let’s just say that it doesn’t look like he’ll be England’s first choice corner taker any time soon. Looking through comments about Noble on this site, he’s referred to as “really … off the pace” and “slow, lacks vision, can’t do the hard yards and can’t take a free kick,” so I’m very aware that not everyone is a fan.

But for those of us who are firmly in the pro-Noble camp, do we go easier on his shortcomings (the corners, dear lord, the corners) because we want a local boy to succeed, and are we less harsh on him because we still want to believe in the capability of the Academy to produce quality players? Would you still have him in your team if not for his commitment and dedication to West Ham?

If any other player on the pitch hit the first man in corners as often as him, I’d probably be livid at that player starting regularly (or at least continuing to take the corners) so I suppose I’m wearing my rosy tinted ‘hurrah for homegrown’ glasses when watching Noble. I know that I want him in my starting XI, but the main reason remains his passion- which is really a result of his locality and upbringing- and of course I like the idea of having members of the squad that we ‘grew’ and developed in the face of an increasingly foreign Premier League.

I also do believe he’s a good player, and his consistency is something I value. His hard work leads to results, and I hope it continues to do so for many more years.

But what does everyone else think about Mark Noble? Is he who you want starting for us, and, if he is your top choice, do you think you rate him higher because he’s a local lad? Would love to hear what you think, either below or tweet me @makingthemarrow

Dan Potts eyes first-team place with West Ham United

West Ham United defender Dan Potts has revealed that he is eager to cement a place in the first team for next season.

The 19-year-old played six times for the club last campaign and was also sent out for a brief loan spell with Colchester United.

"I'm definitely looking for more," Potts told the Hammers' official website. "Every year, especially in pre-season, as a young lad you want to set your stall out for the rest of the season.

"You know pre-season games are going to give you chances and you have to take those chances to show the gaffer what you can do and if you're good enough to step up to the Premier League."

Potts signed his first professional deal with West Ham in 2011.

Napoli's 26-year-old striker Edinson Cavani, targeted by Chelsea, has almost completed a move from Napoli to French champions Paris St-Germain.

Daily Express

The Stamford Bridge club are also set to battle with Tottenham for the signature of striker Christian Benteke, 22, who has handed in a transfer request at Aston Villa.

Full story: London Evening Standard

Benteke is said to favour a move to Spurs, but Villa feel they would get better value for the player if he was sold to Chelsea.

Daily Mail

Sam Allardyce is set to renew West Ham's interest in Graham Dorrans of West Bromwich Albion, three years after previous Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola tried to buy the 26-year-old midfielder.

talkSPORT

The Hammers are also thought to be pondering a move for Liverpool's 28-year-old winger Stewart Downing.

Metro

Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala want to sign Manchester United winger Nani, 26, who reportedly fell out of favour with Sir Alex Ferguson and has not received assurances over his future from new United boss David Moyes.

Daily Mirror

Tom Ince is mulling over an £8m move to Cardiff City after meeting manager Malky Mackay, several days after personal terms and the fee were agreed for the 21-year-old Blackpool winger.

Daily Mail

New Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has told Joleon Lescott that the 30-year-old England defender is very much part of his plans at the Etihad Stadium.

Daily Telegraph
GLOBAL GOSSIP (from BBC Monitoring)

Italian champions Juventus are considering an offer for Sunderland midfielder Emanuele Giaccherini, 26.

Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian)

Inter Milan have completed the signing of Argentine midfielder Mauro Icardi, 20, from Sampdoria for an undisclosed fee.

Ansa news agency (in Italian)

Mexican international midfielder Giovani dos Santos, 24, who used to play for Spurs, is to leave Mallorca for Villareal on a four-year deal.

ABC.es (in Spanish)

Wayne Rooney needs to feel loved at Manchester United if the 27-year-old England international remains at Old Trafford, according to former team-mate Michael Owen.

talkSPORT

Swansea City boss Michael Laudrup says he was approached about several other managerial positions during the summer but opted to remain at the Welsh club.

Wales Online

Fulham owner Mohamed al Fayed wants to sell the club and wants a fee of between £150m and £200m, 16 years after buying the Craven Cottage outfit.

Daily Mirror

David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt, Ryan Giggs, Phil Neville and Gary Neville, who all progressed through Man United's youth system to great success in the first team, were reunited with each other for a night out in Manchester.

Manchester Evening News

GIORGOS KARAGOUNIS has penned a new one-year deal with Fulham.

The Greek midfielder, 36, was released by the Cottagers last month but will now return for a second season.

NICKLAS BENDTNER is in talks with Eintracht Frankfurt.

The Arsenal striker, 25, flew to Germany and the Bundesliga club said: “A decision should be taken in the next two days.”

WEST HAM are set to renew their interest in West Brom midfielder Graham Dorrans.

The Hammers are keen to bring in Dorrans, 26, after trying to sign the Scot in 2010

NORWICH are close to clinching a £2million deal for Blackburn left-back Martin Olsson, 25.

The Swede is in talks with Canaries boss Chris Hughton after Rovers agreed a fee.

MARK ROBINS wants Manchester United whizkid Nick Powell, 19, on a season-long loan.

Huddersfield boss Robins hopes Powell will link up with £1million recruit from Norwich, James Vaughan.

Powell was a £6m buy from Crewe in 2012.

PAUL INCE says his son Tom will not be rushed into a Premier League move.

Cardiff have agreed an £8million fee for the winger, 21.

Yet Blackpool boss Ince said: “If this move appeals to him we’ll talk about it. But there’s no rush.”

TOTTENHAM youngsters Nathan Byrne and Alex Pritchard have both joined League One Swindon.

Full-back Byrne, 21, signed a two-year deal having spent a month on loan at the County Ground last season.

Midfielder Pritchard, 20, is moving on a season-long loan.

LAURENT BLANC wants Yohan Cabaye at mega-rich Paris Saint-Germain.

Newcastle are expecting bids for their French midfielder, 27, with Monaco and Roma also keen.

PSG boss Blanc said: “Yohan is an amazing player. We are interested.”

BARCELONA striker David Villa, 31, is joining Atletico Madrid in a deal worth £4.4million.

Barca will get half of any future transfer fees.

GRANT HOLT, 32, has sealed his move to Wigan from Norwich on a three-year deal.

Latics boss Owen Coyle said: “Grant’s a proven goalscorer.”

http://static.nuts.co.uk/images/gallery ... ntm_05.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Re: wednesday's news 10th july includes west ham

Post by Tristan Shout »

Cheers CH :thup:
Lotus61

Post by Lotus61 »

Thanks mate,
You must have been up at the crack of dawn today.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Tristan Shout wrote:Cheers CH :thup:

your welcome tristan
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1075 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Cheers CH, have a good day
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Lotus61 wrote:Thanks mate,

no mate start time as normal about half past five five i start it
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1075 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Cheers CH, have a good day
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

SiamHammer wrote:Cheers CH, have a good day

you to mate
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Cheers CH.

If we sign Dorrans and Downing, that would complete our summer signings very nicely. :thup:
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Cheers CH.

If we sign Dorrans and Downing, that would complete our summer signings very nicely. :thup:
Would still like a decent back up striker for when Carroll gets injured or suspended
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Cheers CH.

If we sign Dorrans and Downing, that would complete our summer signings very nicely.

indeed

every time i see your user name it makes me feel hungary :D
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

off to work have a great t day you irons :crest:
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

cockney hammer wrote: Wayne Rooney needs to feel loved at Manchester United if the 27-year-old England international remains at Old Trafford
I wondered why they'd just employed Sticky Vicky.

Ta as ever CH.
Orwell

Post by Orwell »

Thanks CH,
I read your news round up every morning, perfect way to start the day.
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

I posted this on the transfer thread but it is probably more relevant here.

I heard Neil McDonald say on TalkSport last night that all the gossip about Downing was just "paper talk" and that he had no idea where it came from. Now that could be him speaking in code but to me it said WH are not signing Downing.

Is there really any point discussing him with a Liverpool fan, where he will fit into our team or how good he will be at WH when he isn't coming?

Clearly when NM said it was too late for the journos to invent new stories about Downing's agent's sales efforts to drum up interest....

Cheers CH
Beachy32

Post by Beachy32 »

Thanks CH as always.
rciron
Has liked: 297 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup: lovely babe today
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Lotus61 wrote:Thanks mate,
Dawn wasn't complaining :)

Many thanks CH.

I know Downing is a better player than we on KUMB generally give him credit for, but he is 28 and if the number being banded about (£8m) is real, I'd far rather spend it on Tom Ince. Whether he would come to us in view of our absurd inability to forgive his father for his youthful transgression is another matter, mind you to give his dad credit where its due, he doesn't appear to bear any grudges towards his old club, or at least not according to anything I've heard or read about him on the subject in recent times.