tuesday's news 16th july includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Re: tuesday's news 16th july includes west ham

Post by ChikinRun »

Great photo CH. My era, that! To give younger Kumbers some perpective on that 2/6 entry price, in 1965 if one of my uncles visited on a sunday, they'd give me 2 bob (2 shillings) or half a crown (2/6) for pocket money. I'd be well chuffed coz that 2/6 would buy a nice Corgi or Dinky die-cast toy car...or get me in to The Boleyn....shows you how modern day footy prices have out-stripped toys ay?
Hammerted
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Hammerted »

MS in the West wrote:That the author of the piece above ahould think of him in any way as the culprit show how little is understood about even the obvious - or maybe a reluctance to criticise players who are 'doing it' for the team
I read it that he thinks DG is acting in exactly the way a wise and successful businessman should, given the current circumstances and position the Club is in, but looking ahead, if all goes to plan, he has an opportunity to make watching West Ham affordable to all. I believe this has always been the aim since the OS Project was launched and I have no reason to doubt DG as he comes across as an honourable man.

I thought the article was an interesting, well balanced piece.
poplargeezer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

I love that photo - reminds me of when I used to go by myself in the old North Bank in the late 60's and stand in the bit that used to be along the old east side, although I think the prices rose to 3/6 and might even have been 3/10 (I've forgotten how to type pre-decimal money!)
It was always a right squash trying to be the first to be let in when the gates opened at 12.30pm
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

Wouldn't it make more sense for the OS to let people use its match highlights/ WHU TV for free in the pre-season? Seems to me they might attract more customers if they let people sample the fare first.
loftyboy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by loftyboy »

ChikinRun wrote: I'd be well chuffed coz that 2/6 would buy a nice Corgi or Dinky die-cast toy car...or get me in to The Boleyn....shows you how modern day footy prices have out-stripped toys ay?
Not if you had kept your Dinky car in it's box and never played with it - you might have been able to sell it today to buy a season ticket with the proceeds :)
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Thanks Mate
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Remember back in the day when we all had Cazal shades and high-top jellies? And remember when there was Dial MTV and the Zig and Zag Show and the house meeting in episode 11 of Real World: San Francisco when everyone from Pam to Judd (did Pam ever fail anything and did Judd ever find love?) tried to talk Puck into flushing his potty mouth down the toilet before finally deciding to kick him to the curb from the house? And remember when Smash Hits would ask the tough questions like Yo! Vanilla! What do you wear in bed? And who really sings on trendy dance hits?

Sigh. Things done changed. What happened? Aw, it ain't no mystery. The whole modern world's got a swishifying effect today. And ITVs and diet sodas ain't gonna set it straight, either. Still at least the Mill is still here, still jaunty, still rocking khakis with a cuff and a crease, still churning out transfer tattle. Speaking of which let's get cracking on today's fresh batch of stinking scraps handed down from our football club overlords.

If you, like the Mill, thought that Manuel Pellegrini is the type of man who spends his afternoons in a darkened sitting room drinking Chilean red, listening to Leonard Cohen, smoking an obscure band of cigarettes only available in selected shops in Cephalonia and ruminating on Robert Venturi's influence on postmodern American architecture, you'd be right. But when he is not comparing and contrasting Famous Blue Raincoat with Chelsea Hotel #2 and discussing the merits of Fire Station #4 in Columbus, Indiana, what Pellegrini really, really, really likes to do is wonder about which striker is brave enough to poke the ball over the line on a wet and windy night in November when the entire Stoke side are welcoming him to Staffordshire in much the same way Aaron Ramsey was welcomed to that part of the world.

Various names have popped in and popped out of Pellegrini's promontory but the one that keeps coming back to him is that of the Fiorentina favourite Stevan Jovetic. Accordingly, Pellegrini has typed up a nicely worded letter, as seen by the Mill, to his employers asking if they could possibly spare £23m as well as an extra £5m down the line. They are sure to reply in the affirmative as will Jovetic as soon as he hears the words two hundred thousand and weekly.

One player who is definitely not going to be pulling on City blue next season though is Alvaro Negredo. When asked about the move, the Sevilla top dog, José María del Nido, wagged his right index finger, shook his head and said that there is only a "one per cent" chance of the transfer going through. Now the Mill is no maths genius but a one per cent chance would suggest that the hopes of seeing Negredo starring in those top bantz YouTube videos any time soon are about as likely as Luis Suárez wanting to decamp to the Emirates. But then that was before José added: "Either [City] pay what we ask or the player stays with Sevilla for another three years."

Elsewhere Christian Benteke has been waking up in the middle of the night, sweat cascading down his brow like Iguazu Falls in full flow, at the thought of having to spend another season in the Midlands pretending he knows what Paul Lambert is actually saying. And so he has instructed his Mr 15% to get going on those transfer talks with Tottenham Hotspur who are set to triple his wages. Not that money is the main motivation, heavens no, it's because he wants to play in Europe dontchaknow? If Spurs and Villa are unable to come to an agreement, then the Belgian may be forced into some "drastic action" which could be anything from spiking the punch at the summer party to sticking a finger in Lambert's left nostril to asking for a transfer request.

And finally to Hull and Steve Bruce. Back in the big time and the greatest league known to man, monkey and marsupial, Bruce has decided that his squad is going to need some proven Premier League players if they are to avoid the dreaded drop to the dreaded Championship. After failing to capture those type of players, he will be fighting it out with absolutely no one for the signatures of getting the bus home's Adel Taarabt and pink boots' Nicklas Bendtner. Remember when we all wore black boots? Sigh. Things done changed.
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

cockney hammer wrote:where is that canvey oik this morning :D
6.16 i was halfway to work this morning mate had to have an early one today, just got home
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

evening mate hope you are well
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

DAILY MAIL
Manchester United have triggered a battle with Arsenal for the signature of Cesc Fabregas after making a £26million bid for the Barcelona star

THE SUN

Cesc Fabregas fancies Manchester United - if Barcelona want to sell him.

DAILY MIRROR

David Moyes is convinced he can make Cesc Fabregas his first big Old Trafford signing.

Eden Hazard says Jose Mourinho has already won over the Chelsea squad - with his jokes.

DAILY EXPRESS

Manchester United have made a £26million opening bid to bring Cesc Fabregas back to the Premier League - but are braced to increase that by at least £10m.

DAILY STAR

Arsenal will not go head-to-head with Manchester United for the signature of former skipper Cesc Fabregas.

Steven Gerrard has told Liverpool to splash the cash - after pledging the rest of his career to the club.

THE TIMES

Manchester United will have to increase their offer for Cesc Fabregas substantially if they are to prise the Spain midfielder from Barcelona.

THE GUARDIAN

David Moyes wants Cesc Fabregas and Marouane Fellaini to form the heart of his Manchester United midfield next season.

THE INDEPENDENT

Cesc Fabregas' future was in Barcelona's hands last night, with the Spanish club thought unlikely to sell the player despite a confirmed £26m bid from Manchester United.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

ChikinRun wrote:Great photo CH. My era, that! To give younger Kumbers some perpective on that 2/6 entry price, ...............................
I'd be well chuffed coz that 2/6 would buy a nice Corgi or Dinky die-cast toy car...or get me in to The Boleyn.............................
Or buy five Mars Bars. That's what it used to cost me to watch Hurst, Moore and Peters, the price of five Mars Bars.

Cheers CH, top job as ever :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Liverpool are bracing themselves for Real Madrid to finally make a formal bid for striker Luis Suarez this week, with the Spanish club set to offer Gonzalo Higuain plus £10million - but the Reds will reject it and hold out for £40m cash.
David Moyes is convinced he can make Cesc Fabregas his first major signing after making a bid of £26m to Barcelona for the former Arsenal skipper.
Striker Christian Benteke, 22, wants Spurs to step up their pursuit of him as he doesn't want to go back to Aston Villa this week.
Striker Nikica Jelavic, 27, will have talks about his Everton future with boss Roberto Martinez this week.

Cesc Fabregas is willing to leave Barcelona and join Manchester United after the English champions made a £26m bid for him.
Manchester City have told Serbian defender Aleksandar Kolarov that he is not for sale after interest from Italian pair Juventus and Inter Milan
West Ham are set to make a £3m move for West Brom's out-of-favour midfielder Graham Dorrans.

Hull City are set to make a move for QPR playmaker Adel Taarabt, 24, after his bust-up with R's boss Harold Redwanker.
Italian midfielder Emanuele Giaccherini is poised to complete a £6.8m move to Sunderland from Juventus.
Swansea could move for Argentine striker Franco Di Santo, 24, who is available on a free after leaving Wigan.
Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday have joined Birmingham in the chase for 31-year-old Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi.

Arsenal will not go head-to-head with Manchester United for the signature of former skipper Cesc Fabregas.
Steven Gerrard has told Liverpool to splash the cash - after pledging the rest of his career to the club.
Manchester City look set to have to up their bid if they want to secure the services of Sevilla forward Alvaro Negredo.
Goalkeeper Pepe Reina will quit Liverpool rather than be back-up to Simon Mignolet, says Anfield legend Jan Molby.
Russian striker Pavel Pogrebnyak, 29, wants to quit Reading so he can make a return to the Premier League.
Leeds United boss Brian McDermott wants to sign Slovenian goalkeeper Darjan Curanovic.

Manchester United have triggered a battle with Arsenal for the signature of Cesc Fabregas after making a £26m bid for the Barcelona star.
Manchester City are on the verge of sealing the £28m signing of 23-year-old Fiorentina striker Stevan Jovetic - but a move for Sevilla forward Alvaro Negredo is looking increasingly unlikely.
QPR have made a £5.5m bid for Celtic striker Gary Hooper, 25, with Norwich still interested.
Hull City are set to make a £3.5m bid for 25-year-old Evian striker Yannick Sagbo.
Sunderland are set to drop their interest in Spurs midfielder Tom Huddlestone after failing to agree a £5m switch.

Manchester United have made a £25million opening bid to bring Cesc Fabregas back to the Premier League - but are braced to increase that by at least £10m.
Chelsea have been left frustrated after Napoli forward Edinson Cavani, 26, passed his medical ahead of his proposed switch to Paris Saint-Germain.

Manchester City are confident of sealing the £24m signing of 23-year-old Fiorentina striker Stevan Jovetic.
Neighbours United are also confident of sealing their move for Cesc Fabregas after making a bid of £26m to Barcelona.
Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has reaffirmed the club's determination to convince striker Luis Suarez that he can achieve his ambitions at Anfield.

Manchester United will have to increase their offer for Cesc Fabregas substantially if they are to prise the Spain midfielder from Barcelona.
Hull City have made an approach for Sunderland striker Danny Graham who only joined he Black Cats in January.
Newcastle and Southampton are tracking Anderlecht defender Cheikhou Kouyate who is rated at £7m.
Meanwhile, the Saints and Norwich have made an appraoch for Juventus striker Fabio Quagliarella, 30.
Swansea are close to completing the £3.5m signing of Villarreal midfielder Mubarak Wanka

David Moyes wants Cesc Fabregas and Marouane Fellaini to form the heart of his Manchester United midfield next season

Cesc Fabregas' future was in Barcelona's hands last night, with the Spanish club thought unlikely to sell the player despite a confirmed £26m bid from Manchester United.
Carlos-E12

Post by Carlos-E12 »

Thanks for the news.

Colombian*