saturday's news 14th december includes the mighty irons

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

saturday's news 14th december includes the mighty irons

Post by cockney hammer »

Staying calm: Allardyce is refusing to panic

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce tells players to keep their nerve ahead of relegation six-pointer with Sunderland

Sam Allardyce will go into Saturday’s relegation six-pointer against Sunderland telling his men , ‘Keep calm and carry on’.

Big Sam’s West Ham side have lost four of their last five matches but have kept seven Premier League clean sheets this season – a tally second only to Everton’s eight. And the Hammers chief says that defensive record could provide the springboard for a much-needed win.

He said: “We’re in a particularly difficult period where nothing seems to be going for us. The only way it will start going for us is if we keep our nerve and continue to try to do the right things that we know work for us.

“We’re so close because we’ve had seven clean sheets already in the first 15 games.

“That will help us to get over this because sooner or later when we get that clean sheet, we’ll score one goal and win a game.”

Early bath: Kevin Nolan is suspended after being shown the red card Anfield

Ravel Morrison back for West Ham but Kevin Nolan banned for Sunderland game

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce is set to shuffle his pack ahead of the visit of Sunderland on Saturday afternoon.

Skipper Kevin Nolan is the latest player to be ruled out as he is suspended after seeing red in the 4-1 defeat at Liverpool.

Also out are Winston Reid (ankle), Stewart Downing (calf), Andy Carroll (heel), Ricardo Vaz Te (shoulder), Mladen Petric (thigh) and Alou Diarra (knee).

There was some good news for the former Bolton boss as he is able to welcome back James Tomkins and England Under-21 sensation Ravel Morrison to the squad.

James Collins and Guy Demel could miss out through as the pair have picked up illnesses and will be given late fitness tests before the game.

Provisional squad: Jaaskelainen, Adrian, Demel, Collins, Tomkins, O'Brien, Rat, Chambers, Collison, Noble, J Cole, Morrison, Jarvis, Taylor, Diame, C Cole, Maiga

Tough times: West Ham are far from flying but Sam Allardyce's job is still safe at present
Getting back to business: Andy Carroll will not be ready for the weekend but is on the recovery trail
Down the bottom: Sunderland have won just once in their last six Premier League games

Allardyce insists Hammers need one big win to kick-start their season after rough patch

Sam Allardyce is confident West Ham are closing in on the win that could spark their season.

The Upton Park manager, who side are at home to bottom of the table Sunderland on Saturday, believes his side’s strong defensive record has set a platform where one goal, however scruffy, could bring three points and mark an upturn in fortunes.

But he knows patience from the owners over his position will not last indefinitely if he cannot steer the club away from relegation danger. West Ham are 17th, above the drop zone only on goal difference.

‘We’re in a particularly difficult period where nothing seems to be going for us,’ he said. We’re so close because we’ve had seven clean sheets already in the first 15 games.

'On that basis alone if we continue like that we’ll score one goal and win a game. However we score it, that’ll start easing the pressure.’

Sunderland manager Gus Poyet insists he can still steer the club to safety, but admits he is running out of time.

His team are five points adrift which already smacks of a `must-win’ game for both sides.

Poyet said: ‘I believe I can keep Sunderland up because I see things are getting better. No one has given up here.’

Tough times: West Ham are far from flying but Sam Allardyce's job is still safe at present

Sam's safe: Even if West Ham lose to relegation rivals Sunderland, Allardyce will not face axe

Sam Allardyce’s job as West Ham manager is secure even if Sunderland inflict defeat at Upton Park on Saturday.

The board have total confidence that Allardyce is the right man for a relegation struggle and believe he will steer the club to safety.

West Ham, out of the drop zone on goal difference only, are in desperate need for reinforcements up front with the injury to Andy Carroll, and investment in the squad will come in January.

David Gold told a supporters meeting this week that a striker would likely be signed on loan and Allardyce said on Thursday that options were already being looked at.

Allardyce is aware of the importance of the match with rock bottom Sunderland.

‘Sunderland is another massive game for us,’ he said. ‘Three points where we have to try and stay on touch with the teams above us.

‘It’s a critical for Sunderland too and either of the teams need to win. We’ve got to start winning.’ He added: ‘There is no chance of Andy Carroll playing any part. He has no chance of playing in the next two weeks I would say.

‘We want to go in the market and will be linked with everyone that’s available. What we want to try and do is look at all players available.

‘I wouldn’t have thought I need a discussion with the owners - they’re going to stick with me or not.

‘I can only say when I look at their history they have shown a level of patience. I hope that will be the same.

‘I know we need results to alleviate the pressure. All the clubs around us have relived their managers to the focus falls on me.’

STRAIN: Allardyce feels the clock is ticking for West Ham to get some results

Pressure piles up on Sam Allardyce as West Ham spiral further down

SAM ALLARDYCE fears the sack unless he can turn things around at West Ham.

The Hammers have lost four from five and are just one spot off the drop zone.

Joint chairmen David Gold and David Sullivan are known for their patience, but Allardyce is worried it could be running out.

The Hammers host fellow strugglers Sunderland today and defeat could spell the beginning of the end for Big Sam.

“They cannot be patient forever if I continue to lose matches,” Allardyce said.

“It’s impossible for them to ride the pressure that will come upon them, impossible not to succumb to that pressure like many other owners have done.

“But they have been extremely patient with past managers, their record says that.”

The Hammers face a crucial Christmas period with striker Andy Carroll still weeks away from returning from injury.

And with Stewart Downing out for up to 10 weeks, it means they are without over £20m in summer signings.

NO ESCAPE: Sam Allardyce knows he has to improve his form

Sam Allardyce: I must deliver or be sacked

SAM ALLARDYCE accepts it will be “impossible” not to sack him if results at West Ham do not improve quickly.

The big problem, then, for the Hammers boss is that after today’s vital game against bottom of the table Sunderland, the next two matches are against Manchester United and Arsenal.

In David Gold and David Sullivan, Allardyce has two of the better-versed owners in the game, chairmen with a track record of avoiding rash decisions. But even they have their limits.

With the move to the Olympic Stadium in 2016, the cornerstone of West Ham’s future ambitions, the club simply cannot afford not to be in the Premier League.

“They cannot be patient forever if I continue to lose football matches,” said Allardyce. “It’s impossible for them to ride the pressure that will come upon them, impossible not to succumb to that pressure like many other owners have done.

“When you look at their history, they have always shown a level of patience to overcome difficult situations and I hope that will be the same. But I know that in the end it is about getting results.

“Everybody will speculate about my future now because I am in the same position as all the other clubs who have got rid of their managers. It is perceived that I am the next one in the line. But it is just about picking up a few points.”

Indeed, the boards of the three teams below West Ham – Crystal Palace, Fulham and Sunderland – blinked long ago. Ian Holloway, Martin Jol and Paolo Di Canio are already just statistics.

Blair Turgott

I want to be like Freddie, says Colchester United new boy Blair Turgott

Colchester United new boy, Blair Turgott, is looking to follow in the footsteps of one of his boyhood heroes, Freddie Sears.

Like Sears, 19-year-old Turgott has spent all his formative years at West Ham. And, like Sears, he is now looking to make a name for himself with the U’s.

Loan signing Turgott, who signed on a temporary one-month deal on November 28, is hoping to make his U’s debut at home to basement dwellers Notts County this afternoon.

Front-runner Sears is a definite non-starter – the ex-Hammer is not expected to return until the new year, due to a hamstring injury – but Turgott wants to make a similar impact to that achieved by Sears 
on his initial loan spell, back in 2012.

“I’ve always looked up to Freddie,” enthused Turgott, before his first U’s training session on Thursday morning.

“I’ve been at West Ham since the age of nine and, coming through the system, I saw Freddie make his debut.

“I was there for his debut, and saw him score and play in the first team. “Now I’d like to emulate him.

“Freddie has inspired me. “It’s always good to see one of the boys come through the youth team, like myself, to play for the first team and do it on a regular basis,” added Turgott.

Sears’ debut was indeed a memorable one. Introduced as a 75th minute substitute, in the Premier League at home to Blackburn Rovers on March 15, 2008, Sears bagged the winner just six minutes later in a 2-1 triumph.

Sears was 18 at the time – while Turgott, an interested spectator, had not even celebrated his 14th birthday!

Ironically, the injured Sears, who had an initial loan spell with the U’s in early 2012, before signing a permanent deal later in the year, will be in the stands watching Turgott today.

Winger Turgott should make his U’s debut, either from the start or from the substitutes’ bench.

“I’m looking to get underway and to get some first team experience,” enthused Turgott.

“The manager (Joe Dunne) has made me feel welcome, and he will speak to me even more when I get on the training pitch.

“I’m certainly ready to play this weekend, if selected, definitely.

“It’s always the time of year, around Christmas, when there are a lot of games, and it’s vital for the club to pick up a few points.

“A lot of the games are at home as well (three of the next four), which is good. It’s a very important period for the club.”

Bromley-born Turgott has still to make his senior debut for the Hammers, although he did play 11 games in league and cup for Bradford City last term.

He continued: “The loan spell at Bradford was my first loan. It was a good eye-opener for me, to know what League football was all about.

“Obviously Bradford were in League Two at the time, but they had a good Cup run that was well noted. It was something different, for me to play against men.

“Hopefully, I can push forward even more, in League One, which is a good progression for me. I want to show people I can go out there and play in League One.

“Everyone at West Ham told me I should benefit from my stay, and should thrive on it.

“I’ve been playing in the development squad, and in and around the first team, but not that much. “This is something I need to do, to be playing in the League, getting a feel for it.”

Needed: With Kevin Nolan suspended, Ravel Morrison should return for West ham against Sunderland

West Ham United v Sunderland: match preview

West Ham (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Jaaskelainen; Demel, Collins, Tomkins, McCartney; Taylor, Diamé, J Cole, Noble, Jarvis; Morrison, Maïga.
Out: Nolan (suspended), Reid (ankle), Downing (calf), Carroll (heel), Vaz Te (shoulder), Petric (thigh), Diarra (knee).
Tests: Collins, Demel (both illness).

Sunderland (Possible, 4-4-2): ManNone; Celustka, Brown, O'Shea, Bardsley; Giaccherini, Ki, Colback, Johnson; Altidore, Fletcher.
Out: Westwood (shoulder), Cuéllar (hip).

Referee: Andre Marriner. Matches: 12, R4 Y43.

Related Articles

Betting: Home 10-11, Away 3-1, Draw 5-2.

Team News
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce will be without suspended captain Kevin Nolan for the visit of Sunderland, with the Hammers also missing several first-team players through injury.

Nolan is banned after picking up a red card in the 4-1 defeat at Liverpool while Winston Reid, Stewart Downing, Andy Carroll, Ricardo Vaz Te, Mladen Petric and Alou Diarra are all sidelined.

James Collins and Guy Demel are also struggling due to illness but Allardyce is hoping to have both available alongside James Tomkins and Ravel Morrison, who both return to the squad.

Meanwhile, Sunderland have no fresh selection problems.

Only keeper Keiren Westwood and defender Carlos Cuellar remain on the casualty list, and with Vito Mannone the man in possession in goal and John O'Shea and Wes Brown having secured the central defensive berths in recent weeks, their respective absences have not proved too problematic.

The Black Cats head for Upton Park sitting at the foot of the table and five points adrift of Crystal Palace, Fulham and the Hammers, and in desperate need of a first win in five attempts in the league.

Match Notes
Sunderland's away form is awful, with only two victories so far in 2013, the last of which was at Newcastle in April.

This season they have picked up only one point and scored two goals on the road

West Ham's home form was not much better until they beat Fulham 3-0 a fortnight ago

that was their first home win since the opening day, which was followed by four home defeats.

Both sides have lost their past two games, so this could be tight.
Stat of the game: Jussi Jaaskelainen has kept seven clean sheets from 15 games. Last season it took the West Ham keeper 25 games to keep the same number.

Gerry Cox's prediction: West Ham United 1 Sunderland 1.

Should we gamble on Jordan Rhodes?

One can only imagine the miles of copy that has been written recently on West Ham’s goal scoring crisis and the prioritization of a new marksman in the January transfer window. The latest is Sam Allardyce’s column in today’s Evening Standard, where he talks about the transfer window and the need to sign a quality addition to our strike force. He makes the point that he could easily sign an average player, but the club face the greater challenge of signing a quality player that can go straight in to the side and make a difference. Preferably in the first week of the window! The article is also interesting for his discussion of the considerable obstacles that have to be circumvented in making a new signing, not least the machinations of players agents!

Similarly, the seemingly endless round of speculation has already started, with Obafemi Martins the latest name linked with us. Of course, a lot of this stems from agents trying to generate interest and offers for their clients. It is widely known that West Ham are targeting strikers this January, so agents will see it as a credible rumour to link their ‘want away’ charges with a move to Upton Park. On the transfer front, It is difficult to pick the ‘wheat from the chaff’ at the moment. And it will undoubtedly continue to be the case, with numerous other strikers being linked with the club.

Amidst the speculation, there is one name that stands out from the reluctant recruits, journeymen and veterans seeking a last pay day. That name is Jordan Rhodes. This Scottish international is the right age, has enormous potential and a formidable goal scoring record. It is an condemnation of the overseas focus and fear factor in the Premier League that no top level club has taken a gamble on Rhodes. But is he really that much of a gamble? Not if you look at the players goal scoring statistics. Bwin Betting football site have done just that and it makes interesting reading.

In his career to date, Jordan Rhodes scored 82 goals in 143 matches for Huddersfield and after moving to Blackburn Rovers registered 38 goals in 68 appearances. An impressive 26 goals in his first Championship season disproved any doubts that he might struggle to make the step up to the 2nd tier. And he has followed that up in his second season with 11 goals in 19 matches, a better than 1 in 2 goal scoring average. The article also makes the observation that he has scored 7 goals in 15 matches against teams currently in the PL. An indicator that Rhodes would make a successful transition to become a successful PL marksman. This evidence is reinforced by his success at international level, where Rhodes has scored eight goals in eight matches for the Scotland U-21s.and 3 goals in 11 senior appearances.

In an earlier era those goal scoring statistics would have resulted in a opportunity to play in the PL. Although it could equally be argued that, in another era, it would not have cost anywhere near the £8-10m price tag currently attached to him. Crystal Palace have been linked with a move for Rhodes this January, but Tony Pullis has scotched the rumour with the comment that Palace could not afford his services. And that remains the question for PL managers and boards, do you invest that sort of money in Rhodes’ promise or do you look for more proven and, possibly, cheaper options in the overseas markets. For instance, Alfreð Finnbogason scored 38 goals in 46 appearances for SC Heerenveen, in the Dutch League, last season and has bagged 4 goals in 19 matches for Iceland. And it is rumoured that Finnbogason’s signature could well be secured for under £4m.

Many clubs will be put off by the cost and degree of gamble attached to Rhodes. And, indeed, take the overseas route in search for new recruits. However, one feels that there is something a bit special about Jordan Rhodes as a goal scorer. He is a natural and the suspicion is that the PL club brave enough to take the plunge will be richly rewarded both in terms of goals and, at 23 years of age, the future sell-on value. That club is unlikely to be Palace, if Pullis sticks by his public statement, but could it be goal shy West Ham? Unlikely, considering the club focusing on the loan market and Allardyce’s emphasis upon ‘the final product,’ ready to go straight in to the first team.

Are the board really likely to commit £8 plus to sign Rhodes this January considering these factors? Probably not. And it is a shame, because Rhodes is that rare thing, a prolific goal scorer. He could prove to be our most exciting signing (Andy Carroll apart) since the January 2006 purchase of a certain Dean Ashton from Norwich City. I acknowledge the value for money counter-argument, but I just have this gut feeling it is a signing that would pay off big style. Could Rhodes come straight in to the first team and perform straightaway, as is required in our current league situation? That is the biggest question mark, for me. Would he take time to adjust to the greater speed and less space in the PL? Possibly, and that is not an unreasonable expectation for a player making the step up.

I doubt that there will be resources to sign Rhodes in January. And if the club can identify better, more experienced options then fine. But if they fail to sign the ‘ready made’ type of quality striker needed, then the club should definitely gamble on Rhodes over some journeyman or over the hill veteran. Even if that means investing £8m plus to get his signature.

SJ. Chandos.

We will always support the manager

Big SamWatching games on the other side of the world at weird times can be somewhat of an out-of-body experience.

Whether it’s because we’re viewing the games through bleary eyes on Saturday night, or staying up until 3am for a late kick-off back home, the process provides a different perspective on the match.

Every fixture is televised, so we watch West Ham week-in week-out. But you can never get the full effects of the emotions that come with being at the game, which allows us to take a more standoffish, analytical approach to certain subjects.

This is true with performances, results, players, and primarily in recent times, the role of Sam Allardyce.

Immediately after many of the results this season, discussion threads amongst the Sydney Hammers community usually echo the seemingly universal vitriol towards Allardyce and the team.

Some people have been baying for blood, which is understandable given the current predicament. Some are calling Allardyce’s sacking, while others suggest bringing in someone in the back room to work alongside him, the likes of Paolo Di Canio or Julian Dicks – someone who can bring in a bit of ‘West Ham’.

When it settles down however, there is a more reflective tone that comes through; accepting of the limitations Allardyce has been under, and recognising the bad luck with injuries.

It stops short of being sympathetic towards him, as some of his team selections, formations, and transfer decisions have been extremely dubious.

But the poor results have often been on the back of frustrating, un-imaginative ,and clueless performances, and most believe much of the blame should be placed at the feet of the team that takes to the field. Look at captain Kevin Nolan for example; he has been a shadow of the player he was last year.

Allardyce is considered pretty much the best man for the squad we have, and the only person who can save us with the players he has assembled.

Whether it’s by stabilising the team, motivating underachieving players, equipping us for a relegation battle, or at worst case, formulating a promotion back from the Championship, there are few others in the market can claim to have the skills to cope with that wide a base of scenarios.

The clear consensus is that he has to invest in January and bring in quality reinforcements. A top class striker will change our fortunes more so than a change of manager.

What must be remembered is we are not cut adrift at the bottom of the table. We are not playing with our full strength side, we do create chances each game, and one of the country’s most expensive strikers is already on our books and closing in on a comeback.

We are all supporters of West Ham, from all parts of the world, and as our Sydney Hammers chairman says: “We will always support the manager regardless, as to do that is to support the club.”

Time to go Big Sam

I must stress right at the start of this, that it isn't a knee-jerk reaction to losing 4-1 at Liverpool. It is a combination of being fed up with the tactics and the players that are continuously selected when they under perform on a regular basis.

I would like to thank Sam for taking us back up to the prem on the first opportunity but with the squad we had and the fan base, I never thought that was in doubt. Just a shame we couldn't win the league but I got to see us play at Wembley, which was amazing so happy we just got back up!

Anyway, I digress, we played well last season and made Upton Park a fortress but only scored 11 away from home. This year, the fortress just hasn't happened. We clearly miss Andy Carroll (more on him later) and more recently Winston Reid!

However, we can't blame everything on injuries! We have been very poor in games this season, like Norwich away in the second half, Stoke at home for the whole game, Palace away and Chelsea at home.

For me, Sam is tactically inept. Pumping a ball up in the air to Maiga/Jarvis and Downing are not clever tactics. He doesn't know how to change a game when we go behind and constantly plays his favourites even when they are so off form!

The fact that he is persisting with Nolan is a joke. I, for one am glad he won't be starting on Saturday against Sunderland. I don't remember the last good game he had. This is a guy who is our leader apparently! The red card was ridiculous. It sums the guy up! Petty. All he does is moan at the ref throughout the game and means playing someone out of position when in the team.

When Sam joined he said the following: "That history that West Ham have I am very well aware of and we will play the West Ham way with the players we have got to achieve the ultimate, and that's winning football matches."

Sorry Sam but I have been a season ticket holder for 20+ years and I don't remember ever playing hoof ball! His tactics along with the signings have been dreadful. If we were going to struggle with money, why did we sign Adrian if we ain't going to play him. We already have Henderson to sit on the bench! Diarra is on £60k a week and is dreadful. Why did we sign him? Jarvis has been nowhere near an £11m player. Petric has been pointless and Maiga again showed he isn't worth a premiership contract. He shouldn't be in the squad let alone starting!!

Now onto Carroll. How exactly is this statement true by David Gold "We managed to bring Andy's medical forward and I am delighted to inform you that he has passed with flying colours". This was on 18th June 2013. Yes that's right that was six months ago and he hasn't kicked a ball for the club!! Our record signing!! Allegedly £15m and £100k a week wages, why did we buy him when he was clearly injured. Yes Sam and Nolan love the guy but it is a massive gamble to spend pretty much 80% on one player who wasn't fit! Madness.

So for me he has to go! Who would I replace him with? One of two managers: Slaven Bilic, ex-hammer and his style of football is the way us fans like to see. If we can attract him away from Besiktas of Turkey. The other is Roberto Di Matteo, I think he was very unlucky to get the boot from Chelsea. I see the potential that Joey Cole and Ravel Morrison could play with the ball.

I wouldn't go for Paolo Di Canio as I believe he is still one job away from taking over from the next manager perhaps. He will always be a legend but we need to make sure we get our season back on track. Although he would bring a hell of a lot of passion, which is missing.

Obviously I want us to win every game but know that isn't realistic. So therefore, if we are going to lose I would much prefer we do it playing decent football. If we go down and lose players like Ravel and Winston, how are we ever going to go forward? These are the players we need to build our future on.

With injuries to Tomkins and Downing we are really struggling at the moment. My team for the must win game is Jussi, Roland, George, Ginge, Demel, Diame, Noble as the captain going forward and Ravel. With Joey Cole and Jarvis on the wings with Carroll, yes that's right I would start him. Even if it is only for 45 minutes. Must win game remember! If Tomkins, Downing or Reid are fit then I would bring them in.

I will always be a West Ham fan but that doesn't mean I have to like the staff or every player. So on that note, shake Sam's hand, wish him well but show him the door. Let's get our season back on track.

Forever blowing bubbles in the air.

Come on you irons!

By Nick Gillet
@TheGinge10

Eye on the enemy – Sunderland

Before what is being built up as our umpteenth 6 pointer game at the weekend I got to ask the guys at rokerreport.com (@RokerReport ) a few questions. As always, massive thanks to them for their time and support.

Since replacing a pretty hapless Paolo Di Canio you’ve had 9 games under Poyet; 3 wins, 5 losses and 1 draw. A good start to his first job in the Premier League or are some sceptical of his appointment?

Poyet wasn’t my first choice, but I wasn’t disappointed either. Having gone through so many managers it feels like recently there was a huge feeling of apathy towards his appointment on Wearside. Since then however he has by in large impressed. Implemented a new style and made us look more difficult to breakdown. Although there was the game against Spurs, in which he quite bizarrely abandoned what was working in order to shoehorn an out of form Steven Fletcher into the side and it completely backfired. Hopefully this was a blip and nothing more, because since he’s came in there’s been some belief we can stay up, which we didn’t have under Di Canio or O’Neill.

The million dollar question right now is do you think you can stay up?

It’s going to be very, very difficult. I felt we needed to get something from Spurs and Chelsea at home and we couldn’t even get a point. This weekend, followed by games against Norwich, Cardiff and Everton will prove to be season-defining. I’m not giving up yet, but by New Year we could be done.

What did you make of Di Canio as a manager of a Premier League team; as many of our fans have been calling for him to replace Big Sam both previously and even more so since his departure from Sunderland and our poor form?

You’re welcome to him. It would be a huge mistake for West Ham to appoint Di Canio. I, just like everyone else, fell for his charm along with his hard line stance on discipline however it soon became tedious and he really didn’t have much of a clue tactically about how to set a team up or what to do with the players at his disposal. He’s not good enough for the Premier League and never will be.

Your last two games must have given you a lot of belief – with both being extremely tight games between Chelsea and Tottenham. Although they were losses did they buoy the supporters somewhat?

Chelsea yes, even though it was frustrating that the winning goal was an own-goal. Spurs felt like a massive step back though. We need to get back to what was working and not be so desperate by plugging in two strikers who don’t work together well. Everyone seems up for the game this weekend, but we all know this is a make or break game.

What comes to mind when you think of West Ham United?

Not a lot to be honest. An enviable youth system I suppose but that well seems a little dry of late is one thing, and a good thing. But other than “cheek cockney geezers, Eastenders and that bloody “We won the World Cup” advert, not much. Much in the way people look at Sunderland, you’re just ‘there’.

What do you make of our securing, and future move, to the Olympic Stadium?

I’m sure you’ll find it a wretch to leave Upton Park. We did with Roker Park, but eventually you realise that it has to be done on both a financial level and if you ever want to succeed. I have some concerns for you there. Which in all fairness may be alleviated from day one, but I worry about a) filling it, or at least coming close to and b) the multipurpose use of it making it not feel like ‘home’ for you.

Hypothetically, if money wasn’t an issue; who would you pick from our side to play for Sunderland?

Nobody really stands out to be honest. If I had to buy someone though probably Diame or Downing. Not overly keen to chase them with any great effort though.

Which individuals for both sides do you expect to have the biggest presence?

Well I’m quite glad that Kevin Nolan is out since he has a habit of scoring against us, and that Andy Carroll will likely miss the game. You’ve got quite strong (physically) central defenders it seems, so them against Jozy Altidore could be interesting. I also imagine whoever you put right-wing will destroy Andrea Dossena who has been an unmitigated disaster since coming in.

Where do you think Sunderland will finish, and likewise, where do you think West Ham will?

Trying to be positive, we’ll come fourth bottom and you’ll come a couple of places above that.

Final Question, heart and head; what is your prediction for the game?

Heart says we can win 2-0 or 2-1. Head however predicts a 0-0 draw that helps no body.

Liverpool plan to make a £12m bid for Basel winger Mohamed Salah after manager Brendan Rodgers made a personal check on the 21-year-old Egypt international.

Daily Mail

Striker Toni Sanabria, 17, is set for a move to Arsenal after telling Barcelona he wants to leave the club.

Daily Mirror

Corinthians are willing to listen to offers for Brazil international striker Alexandre Pato. The 24-year-old has been linked with Arsenal and Tottenham.

Daily Star

Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart, 26, is set to remain on the substitutes' bench for Saturday's game against Arsenal.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

Right-back Bacary Sagna, 30, is expected to agree a new two-year deal with Arsenal within the next fortnight.

Daily Mirror

Striker Luis Suarez, 26, could be selected to deputise as Liverpool captain for the injured Steven Gerrard.

Daily Telegraph

On-loan West Brom winger Scott Sinclair, 24, is hopeful he can win a place in England's 2014 World Cup squad if he can stay fit.

Birmingham Mail

Arsenal forward Theo Walcott, 24, is set for a memorable summer after it was revealed the due date of his first-born child could clash with the 2014 World Cup finals.

Daily Mirror

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2009 ... 20Tits.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry i have not done this for a few day's bonus babe

http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-conte ... mbnail.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by cockney hammer on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Re: saturday's news 14th december includes the mighty irons

Post by Jarvo »

Cheers CH, welcome back!

Loving the festive bonus babes - here's to 3 points today! :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

that sunderland photo has come out huge when i have gone to edit it out the edit buttom is not there?
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup: nice to have you back mate,watch west ham at Upton park it's ****, watch it at 3am in Sydney it's the b*llocks?
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

sorry i could not do it for the last few days but work has to come first this time of year i can not afford to let bobby down father christmas wish list got bigger this year :D
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Cheers CH!
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

The stand ins did a good job but not a pitch on you, makes us realise how hard you must work 1 st thing in the morning everyday to do it. Many thanks and merry Xmas to you
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

mywhufc wrote:The stand ins did a good job but not a pitch on you, makes us realise how hard you must work 1 st thing in the morning everyday to do it. Many thanks and merry Xmas to you

[ started at quarter past five abd it took about a hour and a half to do not a problem for the best fans in the year behave yourself s and i might still do it after christmas you know where to send the money lol
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

Welcome back knackers

Tough gig this news business that's fo'sure :lol:

COYI
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

knackers lol put another shrimp on the barbie mate looks like you guys have gothave ashes back to bastards :twisted: thanks for standing in mate
clawhammer
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Welcome back. Much appreciated.
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

cockney hammer wrote:knackers lol put another shrimp on the barbie mate looks like you guys have gothave ashes back to bastards :twisted: thanks for standing in mate
No probs mate for filling in, came home one afternoon from work and realised it was 5:00 AM there so I did a quick cut 'n' paste.
yeh not looking good for you blokes over here in the ashes.
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

Oft imitated, never better.
:wink:

Thanks Cockney Legend.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH & welcome back
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

think someone is playing tricks on old ch today the edit button is back :D
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Cheers CH it's great to have you back mate hope your minces are ok :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

chappo59 wrote:Cheers CH it's great to have you back mate hope your minces are ok :thup:

just the same mate still better then no sight at all
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

DAILY MAIL

The crisis facing David Moyes grew deeper on Friday as Robin van Persie was ruled out for a month and Peter Schmeichel claimed there are current Manchester United players who don't care about the club

Luis Suarez is in the frame to be Liverpool's stand-in skipper for tomorrow's Barclays Premier League trip to The SCUM OF The Earth
THE TIMES

In recent years Arsenal's visits to Manchester have become a source of some trepidation, but there was genuine anticipation in Arsene Wenger's voice when discussing Saturday's lunchtime kick-off at the Etihad Stadium, even if he would prefer the match to take place on Sunday.

Fernandinho described the defeat at Sunderland as the moment Manchester City players finally woke up to the realisation that they were doing their title prospects serious harm, the point their season turned.
GUARDIAN

David Moyes has stated that some of the criticism aimed at his Manchester United players by the former captain Roy Keane and goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel is correct.
INDEPENDENT

Football is changing and Arsene Wenger hopes that his new team - mobile, nimble and smart - will be on the right side of history once again.

Manuel Pellegrini's staff were entering into the spirit of wearing Christmas jumpers for charity on Friday, though he did not launch into bad fashion with them.
DAILY TELEGRAPH

While Arsenal might be enjoying a five-point lead at the top of the table as Christmas approaches and playing the most attractive and progressive football in the country, doubts remain over the depths of resolve and experience still to be doing so come next May.

Manuel Pellegrini is set to leave out Joe Hart for Manchester City's crucial Premier League game against Arsenal on Saturday, with Costel Pantilimon expected to return.
THE SUN

Joe Hart and Ashley Cole were fuming after being axed yet again for Saturday's big Premier League games.

David Moyes suffered another major setback when Robin van Persie was KO'd until the new year with a thigh strain.
DAILY MIRROR

Luis Suarez could complete a remarkable rehabilitation at Liverpool by standing in as captain on Sunday.

David Moyes has been dealt a massive blow - with Robin van Persie ruled out for a month through injury.
DAILY EXPRESS

David Moyes has dismissed suggestions his training methods have caused Robin van Persie's latest injury setback.
Jose Mourinho believes the first trophyless season of his glittering managerial career is a possibility - but says it would be utterly unacceptable.
DAILY STAR

David Moyes has been rocked by the news that Robin van Persie has been ruled out for a month.

Luis Suarez is in line to captain Liverpool at The Filth on Sunday.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1090 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Cheers CH

Let's hope the team reward your return with 3 points and a performance

:crest:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert