saturday's news 21st december includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Re: saturday's news 21st december includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

Jack Collison: Celebrates with Carroll at Stoke in March

West Ham's Jack Collison relishing Andy Carroll's return

West Ham's Jack Collison has "a new lease of life" after going out on loan - and is now relishing Andy Carroll's return.

The Wales international midfielder made his 100th league appearance for the Hammers last weekend, and played 90 minutes in midweek as Sam Allardyce's won 2-1 at Tottenham to reach the Capital One Cup semi-finals.

In October, Collison was sent out on loan to Championship side Bournemouth for a month by Allardyce, in a bid to get a run of games under his belt. The 25-year-old, who has suffered serious knee problems in the past, made four 90-minutes appearances for the Cherries and returned back raring to go again.

"I jumped at the chance and it was great to get some games," Collison told The Sun.

"I have come back a lot fitter and sharper and ready to get back into the team here.

"I felt I'd hit a bit of a brick wall at West Ham. I wasn't really anywhere near the team. I just don't want to sit here and pick up my dough.

"To play four games back to back is something I had not done for a long time.

"It did me the world of good. It has given me a new lease of life. I have come back determined to win back a place in the team."

Also looking to return to the Hammers side soon is £19million striker Carroll, who is back in light training after fracturing his foot.

Collison hopes the England international can be involved in the two-legged cup semi-final against Manchester City.

"You only have to watch him (Carroll) back out there on the pitch in training, you can see the hunger and desire in his eyes."

"Andy looks as though he is not too far away and his return will be a massive boost for everyone," added Collison.

"He's taken a bit of stick for growing a beard but fair play to him for getting himself back after what he has been through.

"The semi-finals of the Capital One Cup would be nice games for him to come back into.

"I've experienced what it's like to have a tough, long-term injury and what it takes to get back.

"Andy has worked morning, noon and night to get back training again. We don't want to put pressure on him but he's a fantastic talent and he will make a massive difference to our team."

Collison says all the Hammers squad have rallied around Carroll as he has gradually battled back from injury.

"We are a very close group of lads and we've all been there to help pick Andy up when he has needed it in his dark days," said Collison.

"He knows I've been through it so we've had a few chats. I think he just knows he is going to come back and start scoring goals again.

"You only have to watch him back out there on the pitch in training, you can see the hunger and desire in his eyes.

"He's been a massive miss for us and looks determined to make up for lost time."
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Match Preview: Manchester United v West Ham

You know when you get that feeling that we could nick something? Well I have that right now, which probably means we’re in for a tonking. There’s no doubt that Wednesday’s win at Tottenham has given everyone a lift – players and fans alike. It’s important that momentum is maintained. A point today would be immense, A victory would be unbelievable. But it’s happened before. I was there in 2001 when Jermain Defoe nicked a goal which sent us all home in a state of delirium. It’s the only time I have been to Old Trafford and I vowed never to return as I knew it didn’t get better than what we had just witnessed.

Anyway, back to today. Let’s go through the team position by position. Following Adrian’s performance I suspect Jussi is thinking that for the first time his position is under a little threat. He’ll retain his place for this game but Adrian has given Sam some food for thought. In defence we’re likely to see the return of James Tomkins and Guy Demel, although personally I think Joey O’Brien deserves an extended run. I think he has been brilliant this season. Razvan Rat came off the bench on Wednesday so will also be pushing to start at left back. So it’s anyone’s guess who Sam will pick across the back. My guess is above.

Kevin Nolan remains suspended so Ravel Morrison is likely to continue in Nolan’s normal role. As Sam said in his pre match presser, Morrison’s form has dipped since he burst onto the seen at the start of the season, but his driving runs remain a joy to behold. They are reminscent of Gazza in his prime. Morrison will also have something to prove so I’d be amazed if he didn’t start. This is also a match for Diame to show what he can do on the big stage. Noble will return which means Collison and Taylor must drop to the bench. Both were excellent against Tottenham and I wouldn’t be surprised to see either feature at some point.

Up front Maiga has earned his starting place after his showing at Tottenham. It wasn’t just the goal but his all-round performance where he apparently won everything in the air. Let’s hope it wasn’t a flash in the pan and this it has built his confidence so he can show the kind of consistent goalscoring form he was in at Sochaux.

#COYI
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Mohamed Diame and Adnan Januzaj top the leaderboards

James Collins scoring against Manchester UnitedA brace from Danny Welbeck helped Manchester United to a much-needed 0-3 win over Aston Villa last time out. This result relieved some, if not all, of the pressure on David Moyes and he will be hoping his side have now reached a turning point in their season after a difficult start to this campaign.

Phil Jones is starting to come into his own this season, as he appears to be on the verge of cementing a permanent berth in the centre of the United defence. His display against Aston Villa will have done his chances no harm as well. He completed the highest number of defensive contributions (clearances, blocks, interceptions, tackles won) in the last round, with 23 according to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index.

A potential future partner in the centre of the Utd back four may be Chris Smalling, with Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand likely to be rotated more moving forward. Smalling is more than up to the task though, as can be seen from some of his stats this season. He’s compiled a superb 95.2% tackles success rate from 21 attempted challenges.

It hasn’t taken Adnan Januzaj to feel at home in the Utd first team, the elusive forward quick to showcase his talents on one of Europe’s biggest stages. According to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index, he is the youngest player to have surpassed the 20-barrier for attacking contributions (shots on goal, assists, dribbles, crosses) this season. Januzaj is 11/5 to score at any time this weekend with 888sport.com.

Michael Carrick remains the conduit in the midfield of the Utd team this season, providing some much needed stability while David Moyes attempts to find his best combinations. He’s completed more passes in the opponent’s half than any other Utd player with 402.

In a frustrating match for the Hammers’ fans, West Ham played out a 0-0 draw at home to Sunderland last weekend. Sam Allardyce commented after the game that he was pleased with his side’s defensive record so far this season but will no doubt be hoping for an upturn in fortunes in front of goal.

It’s easy to see why West Ham are keen to keep hold of Mohamed Diame in the upcoming transfer windows, with the dynamic midfielder key to breaking up the flow of opposition sides this term. According to the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index, of the players in the top 40 for total tackles attempted this season, he has the highest success rate with 97% from 54 challenges.

It’s not just in defence that Diame has been excelling either, he’s been equally as influential going forward as well. The powerful Senegalese international contributed the joint second highest number of defensive contributions (assists, dribbles, crosses, shots on goal) of any player in the last round, with 11 against Sunderland. Diame Is 17/2 to score at any time with 888sport.com this weekend.

James Collins is another Hammer who has been in similarly resolute form, placing joint second in the league for blocks with 22 so far this season.

Injury problems have compounded West Ham’s troubles in front of goal this season, with Andy Carroll and now Stewart Downing both sidelined. Given Carroll’s aerial ability and Downing’s crossing accuracy you’d have to think their goal threat will drastically increase upon their return. Downing in fact leads the league for crosses this season with 21 to his name.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Making the case for West Ham at Old Trafford

Here is my pre-Christmas optimistic punt that suggests we might, just might, get something up at Manchester United today.

Form. Old Trafford has been a nervy place in recent home games. United face the possibility of losing 3 league games in a row for the first time in decades. In their last two home games they have managed 1-0 defeats to Newcastle and Everton.
Form. Hammers must still be buoyed by their victory at White Hart Lane on Tuesday, not just the victory itself but also the manner of it.
Injuries. No Van Persie has to be a huge bonus. Wellbeck is no substitute for the Dutchman. Rooney still looks highly doubtful too and that really would be a massive loss for the Red Devils. Tomkins looks likely to return for us.
Suspension. Nolan is still out. Despite our lackluster performance at home to Sunderland and the suggestion that we actually missed our captain, I remain of the view that he is a hindrance rather than an asset on current form. I am hoping to see Diame, Ravel, Noble, Jarvis and Cole across the middle from the start, although Matty Taylor did his chances no harm with a decent performance at The Lane.
Maiga. Who knows, goals bring confidence. I just have a feeling he may be about to go on a run.

Given all of the above, we will probably now go up there and get rolled over 4 or 5. Nonetheless, that’s my attempt at seasonal cheer out of the way. It’s a no lose for me. If we do get battered, I can return to my usual Doctor Grumpiness when I next post.

I’ll be ice skating at the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park this afternoon whilst increasing the national debt buying beers, cokes and German sausages. Had a win last night backing Smith against Taylor in the darts at 18/1 so, you know what, I’m having £5 on West Ham to win 1-0. Just the 22/1.

Happy Christmas, Hammers everywhere. Now, where did I put that mince pie and Jack Daniels……
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

Cheers CH :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

You're such an asset ,Steve , a real Diamond who deserves so much better , I really hope your Fortunes change for the better next year . Thank you for all the hard work you've done for us all this Season , and all the Seasons gone.
If you do decide to stop giving us the Daily News , this site will be that little bit poorer.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Cheers CH.

Great interview with Collison and probably the most trusted information that Carroll could really be back soon.

Written off at least twice, 100 games and a fantastic attitude. 'I just don't want to see here and pick up the dough'. :thup:
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Thanks CH I hope you get a result with the council in the new year. Merry Xmas to you and yours mate
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:You're such an asset ,Steve , a real Diamond who deserves so much better , I really hope your Fortunes change for the better next year . Thank you for all the hard work you've done for us all this Season , and all the Seasons gone.
If you do decide to stop giving us the Daily News , this site will be that little bit poorer.
Here Here!! Well said.
Thanks Steve your work is really appreciated by many. Have a good day mate.