wednesday's news 1 january includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

wednesday's news 1 january includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

Modibo Maiga: ready to show his true form

West Ham striker Modibo Maiga says he's ready to shine - and reveals he nearly quit for France last summer

Modibo Maiga has refound his mojo – and is now in the mood to save the Hammers from the drop.

The Mali striker wanted to quit West Ham last summer because of his lack of game time. But Maiga, who went a year without finding the net, insisted he is finally showing his ability after scoring two in the last three games as an impact sub.

“I am happy and quite relieved,” he said ahead of the relegation clash at Fulham. “I was questioning myself. I was not playing to my level.

“You haven’t seen the real Maiga. I know I have had lots of chances to score, I was probably lacking in confidence.”

Maiga has been deployed by boss Sam Allardyce as a lone front man in the absence of the injured Andy Carroll.

“It has been difficult because I am not used to playing in this system,” said the 26-year-old. “It really doesn’t suit me. I prefer to play deeper. But I know I am capable of playing well here.”

Maiga scored only two Premier League goals last season following his £4.7million switch from Sochaux – and nearly joined St Etienne in the summer.

“It was almost done,” he said. “I wasn’t happy. If a player doesn’t play, and if you want to progress, you have to leave.

“The most ­important thing was to rediscover the pleasure of playing again. The supporters have backed me very well. When I hear them sing my name, it is a great feeling. It gives me determination to work harder.”

Meanwhile Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen is banking on ex-Hammers chief Alan Curbishley to help beat the drop.

Curbs led West Ham to a great escape in 2007, and joins former Chelsea coach Ray Wilkins at the Cottage.

Meulensteen said: “This is a relegation scrap. Alan Curbishley has been there.

“Ray Wilkins has been at different levels. I want to make sure I am well prepared.”

Rickie Lambert: Could the Saints striker be heading for East London?

West Ham target Rickie Lambert in shock £8m swoop for Southampton star

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is making a staggering £8million bid for Southampton’s England striker Rickie Lambert.

Allardyce is being backed by owners David Sullivan and David Gold who are prepared to gamble a fortune on a hit man to keep them up.

And the Hammers are confident of success as Lambert could be up for the move despite their lowly position.

Lambert, the fairy-tale success who made the Three Lions side from humble origins, needs to play regularly to keep his World Cup hopes alive.

Southampton cannot offer him any guarantees of that right now because of the competition for places at Mauricio Pochettino’s side.

Now the £8million offer may tempt Saints supremo Nicola Cortese to sell - as long as enough of the cash is up front and not based on staying-up bonuses.

West Ham have laboured without a top-class striker in the absence of Andy Carroll, whose return date is still a mystery.

Out of favour: Heitinga's only appearances this season came in the Capital One Cup

John Heitinga set for West Ham move as Dutch defender looks to boost World Cup chances

John Heitinga is joining West Ham from Everton in the hope of reviving his Premier League career.

The 30-year-old does not figure in Roberto Martinez's first-team plans and the Dutch defender has not played a single minute of league action this season.

Martinez is happy for Heitinga to leave Goodison to boost his chances of playing for Holland in the World Cup.

The centre-half had six months remaining on the five-year £65,000-a-week deal he signed when he joined from Atletico Madrid in 2009 and his departure will save Everton £1.5million in wages.

Sam Allardyce is desperate to strengthen his injury-ravaged defence and feels the highly-experienced Heitinga will slot straight into his backline.

The West Ham boss is also interested in Everton striker Nikica Jelavic, who is also on the fringes at Goodison, and Martinez is open to the Croat leaving in January.

Future star: the Hammers have acted quickly to snap up the highly-rated young striker

West Ham complete transfer for highly-rated youngster Jaanai Gordon from Peterborough

West Ham have confirmed their first January transfer move with the signing of highly-rated youngster Jaanai Gordon from Peterborough.

The 18-year-old had been on trial with the Hammers, and featured for their Under-18's side and in first-team friendlies.

And now he has seemingly impressed enough to seal a permanent move, which will be completed when the transfer window opens on Wednesday.

"West Ham United are delighted to confirm the signing of Peterborough United youngster Jaanai Gordon, which will be completed on 1 January 2014," read a club statement.

Boss Sam Allardyce is expected to a busy man in January as he looks to bolster his ailing side.

Allardyce is without a recognised centre-half for the relegation six-pointer with Fulham on New Year's Day, while Andy Carroll's continued absence leaves a hole to fill up front.

The Hammers boss is so busy with transfer dealings in fact that he missed Monday's press conference to concentrate on wheeling and dealing, leaving assistant Neil McDonald to field the questions.

Target: Belfodil could make a switch to Upton Park next month

West Ham 'eye Inter Milan stiker Ishak Belfodil' as they look to resolve Upton Park striker shortage

West Ham are looking to boost their striking options by signing Inter Milan youngster Ishak Belfodil, according to reports.

The Algerian international signed for the Serie A club last summer from Parma but is yet to score in his eight league appearances this season.

However, that has not put off Hammers' boss Allardyce - who is set to make a move in the January transfer window - report the Times.

Belfodil would be seen as a cheaper option to other potential recruits as Allardyce desperately seeks to add extra firepower to his front line.

Touch and go: Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov will undergo a late test on a groin injury
In contention: West Ham are hopeful Ravel Morrison will return from a groin injury picked up in training
Hammering them: Striker Carlton Cole has scored seven goals in his last nine league games against Fulham

FULHAM V WEST HAM: All the latest team news and stats as Berbatov and Morrison face late fitness tests for strugglers

Fulham team news

Dimitar Berbatov (groin) and Adel Taarabt (ankle) face late fitness tests ahead of Wednesday's Barclays Premier League clash with West Ham at Craven Cottage.

Defender Phillipe Senderos and midfielder Scott Parker are both fit to play.

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen is expected to continue with Hugo Rodallega up front should Berbatov and Taarabt both miss out.

Goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg is also still missing, meaning David Stockdale continues after leaking six goals in defeat at Hull last weekend.

Probable squad: Stockdale, Riether, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Parker, Karagounis, Sidwell, Ruiz, Kasami, Dejagah, Rodallega, Kacinicklic, Richardson, Boateng, Zverotic, David, Bent, Bettinelli.

West Ham team news

West Ham will be without any recognised central defenders for their Barclays Premier League clash with fellow strugglers Fulham on New Year's Day.

James Tomkins was forced off early in the 3-3 draw with West Brom with a groin injury and joins fellow defenders James Collins (groin) and Winston Reid (ankle) on the sidelines, although midfielder Ravel Morrison could return.

Andy Carroll is back in training following a long-term heel injury but is not in contention whilst Ricardo Vaz Te (shoulder), Stewart Downing (calf) and Mladen Petric (thigh) all miss out.

Provisional Squad: Jaaskelainen, Adrian, Demel, O'Brien, McCartney, Ruddock, Rat, Chambers, Diarra, Noble, Nolan, Diame, Collison, Morrison, J Cole, Jarvis, Taylor, C Cole, Maiga.

Big match stats

Fulham didn’t manage a single shot on target against West Ham United in the reverse fixture in November.

Carlton Cole has scored seven goals in his last nine Premier League games against Fulham.

Fulham have conceded the first goal of the game more often than any other Premier League side (14).

Fulham have leaked 15 goals in their last four Premier League games.

West Ham have conceded nine goals in their last three Premier League games (exactly three in each match).
Hammering them: Striker Carlton Cole has scored seven goals in his last nine league games against Fulham

Fulham have conceded 11 goals in London derbies this season - more than any other side.

Fulham (16 points) are two points better off than they were at this point in 2007-08 (14 points), when they eventually recovered to finish 17th.

West Ham have one point fewer (15) than they did at this point in 2010-11 (16) when they were last relegated from the Premier League

Fulham are looking for their 25th victory in Premier League London derbies (W24 D31 L58).

Since the start of last season, Fulham have won just 18 per cent of games that Dimitar Berbatov has not started (2 of 11), compared to 30 per cent when he has (14 of 46).

Stats from Opta.

Gamble: West Ham are prepared to make an £8million move for Southampton striker Rickie Lambert
Reinforcements: West Ham have agreed a deal to sign Everton defender John Heitinga

West Ham prepared to gamble and bid £8m for Southampton striker Lambert

West Ham are ready to change their transfer policy and make an £8million move for Southampton striker Rickie Lambert in a bid to avoid relegation.

Sam Allardyce had been told he could only bring in two strikers on loan but with options limited the board are willing to gamble and bid for the 31-year-old England international.

Allardyce has tried before to sign Lambert in the summer and could finally land his man if the player agrees to move with a potential World Cup place at stake.

West ham have agreed a deal for Everton defender John Heitinga and are still looking to bring another striker in on loan.

Maiga has worked hard to rediscover his scoring touch
Sam Allardyce is the only boss in the bottom six to have survived since the season's start

West Ham's soul man Modibo Maiga has beaten boos

MODIBO MAIGA has told of the soul-searching that has turned him from Upton Park laughing stock into arguably West Ham’s best chance of salvation.

The 26-year-old had not scored since December 2012 when he finally struck against Tottenham to book a Capital One Cup semi-final clash with Manchester City this month.

Having got a taste for it, he followed up by scoring against West Bromwich Albion in the 3-3 draw on Saturday, helping to secure an important point.

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce is the only boss in the bottom six to have survived since the start of the season and the club’s owners are hoping that results will be good enough to give him until the end of January to prove he is the man best equipped to keep the Hammers in the top flight.

That said, David Gold and David Sullivan are understood to have a clear view of where they would go should they deem the axe to be necessary, as they want to avoid the embarrassing delays that have affected Crystal Palace, West Brom and Cardiff.

However, there is a recognition of the fact that Andy Carroll’s injury has dictated West Ham’s poor season and the pair still feel Allardyce is the best man to identify a striker to fill the void.

Yesterday’s signing of 18-year-old Peterborough striker Jaanai Gordon is seen as a developmental move and, in the mean time, the role will continue to be occupied by Malian Maiga, who by nature prefers to sit just behind the main striker than leading the vanguard.

As a result, he has struggled, falling into a drought after initially scoring three in his first seven games last season.

“It had never happened to me before,” he said. “I was asking myself a lot of questions. It is like that. I was questioning myself as to why I was not playing to my level.

“But I have no excuses – I know I have had lots of chances to score. I was probably lacking in confidence. I didn’t understand why but it is not related to anything else. I know I am capable of playing well here.

“I wasn’t stressed by it. I was working hard, I am a hard worker and I carry on working hard – it is the only way to get there. It is all I do – work, work, work.”

That said, Maiga also considered a return to France in the summer but a proposed move to Saint-Etienne fell through.

I was asking myself a lot of questions

Modibo Maiga

“With my situation here, I wasn’t happy,” he said. “If a player doesn’t play and, if you want to progress, you have to leave. Going to France or elsewhere, the most important thing was to rediscover the pleasure of playing again. And play like I know I can .”

This season, at its worst, the West Ham fans would cheer ironically on the rare occasions Maiga managed to contribute something positive but, with the lack of other recognised strikers to share the load there was no hiding place.

Now he has broken the duck he hopes he can go on to score more to lift West Ham out of the relegation battle. Today they travel to London rivals Fulham, who are one place above them.

“I am quite relieved,” he said. “I hope it is going to be just the start for me.

“But the supporters have backed me very well. When I hear them sing my name, it is a great feeling. So on one side, you know luck is not with you but the supporters can see that you are working for the team.”

Allardyce had problems at the other end of the pitch on Saturday with injuries to all his centre-backs.

“It is not easy for us because we don’t have the regular centre-backs,” said left-back Razvan Rat.

“ It’s unlucky to have all the injuries in the same position and we need them back as soon as possible.”

REINFORCEMENTS: Allardyce wants John Heitinga to help the Hammers defence problems

Sam Allardyce to strengthen defence with Everton signing

WEST Ham are set to sign Everton utility man John Heitinga.

The Dutch defender, 30, has not played a minute of Premier League football this season and his contract expires at the end of the season.

Heitinga wants a move to boost his chances of landing a place in the Holland squad for the World Cup this summer.

And Hammers boss Sam Allardyce is desperate for reinforcements as the Toffees look to get £65,000-a-week Heitinga off the wage bill.

Blues striker Nikica Jelavic, 28, is also set to leave Goodison Park and could find himself heading to Upton Park too.

West Ham travel to relegation rivals Fulham today, but Razvan Rat insists they cannot use their defensive crisis as an excuse for their struggles.

Big Sam will field a makeshift back four, with three centre-half regulars out injured.

And the Romanian left-back, 32, said: “It is not easy for us because we don’t have the regular centre-backs.

“We had to play Joey O’Brien and George McCartney there against West Brom.

“They are not centre-backs, but they must adapt because we don’t have anyone else.

“It’s unlucky, to have all the injuries in the same position, but we will have to play with the players we have available and that’s life.”

Jaanai Gordon signs for Hammers from League One

West Ham confirm signing of striker Jaanai Gordon from Peterborough United

WEST HAM have confirmed their first venture in the January window will be the signing of Peterborough United prospect Jaanai Gordon, which is to be completed on New Year's Day.

The Hammers are set solve their striker shortage with the signing of the 18-year-old, who impressed during a recent trial period with the club.

Gordon scored a brace in the in that time in an U18 Premier League victory over Aston Villa, while also finding the back of the net in first-team friendlies against Gillingham and Millwall during the November international break.

Sam Allardyce's side only have Carlton Cole as their available striker, with club record breaking transfer Andy Carroll still a couple weeks away from a return.

Gordon, who made his first-team debut for the Posh last September at the age of 16, has made seven appearances for the League One club.

The youngster was also a key member of Peterborugh's FA Youth Cup run which saw them reach the fourth round against Arsenal before agreeing terms at Upton Park.

The deal will be completed when the transfer window opens on New Year's Day

West Ham confirm signing of Peterbrough teenage striker Jaanai Gordon

West Ham have confirmed the signing of teenage striker Jaanai Gordon from Peterborough, with the deal to be completed when the transfer window opens on Wednesday.

Gordon, 18, has been on trial with the Hammers and featured for their Under-18's side whilst also scoring in first-team friendlies against Gillingham and Millwall in November.

After making his Peterborough debut at the age of 16, Gordon went on to make seven first-team appearances for the Sky Bet League One outfit and impressed enough during his short spell with West Ham to earn a deal at the club.

A West Ham statement confirmed: "West Ham United are delighted to confirm the signing of Peterborough United youngster Jaanai Gordon, which will be completed on 1 January 2014."

Gordon will be Sam Allardyce's first acquisition of the winter window but other names are expected to follow.

Allardyce will have no recognised central defenders fit for their crucial Barclays Premier League clash at Fulham on New Year's Day and, with record signing Andy Carroll yet to feature this season, Hammers assistant manager Neil McDonald confirmed on Monday that looking to bring in defenders and a centre-forward were the priority of the club during the window.

Secret weapon: West Ham striker Carlton Cole has a habit of scoring against Fulham

Fulham v West Ham United: match preview

Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 15.00 GMT.
TV: Highlights, BBC ONE Match of the Day.

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Stockdale; Riether, Senderos, Hughes, Riise; Karagounis, Sidwell, Parker, Dejagah; Kasami; Rodallega.
Out: Stekelenburg (ankle), Hangeland (leg).
Tests: Berbatov (groin), Taarabt (ankle).

West Ham (Possible, 4-3-3): Jaaskelainen; Demel, O'Brien, Rat, McCartney; J Cole, Diame, Nolam, Noble, Jarvis, C Cole.
Out: Tomkins, Collins (both groin), Reid (ankle), Carroll (heel), Vaz Te (shoulder), Downing (calf), Petric (thigh).

Referee: Mark Clattenburg. (Matches12, R0 Y42)

West Ham are considering a move for the Algerian

West Ham Begin Talks To Sign Algerian Forward Belfodil From Inter Milan

West Ham United are closing in on Inter Milan striker Ishak Belfodil.

Inter chief Piero Ausilio is in London this week for transfer talks, which include speaking with West Ham for the Algeria forward.

Gazzetta dello Sport says Belfodil has given his approval for the move after struggling for minutes at Inter this season.

The centre-forward would arrive on-loan as cover for the injured Andy Carroll.

West Ham want Cisse but Newcastle United want to hang on to their No 9

West Ham United want to take Papiss Cisse on loan until the end of the season.

But sources in the East End say that Newcastle United have knocked back their offer to give the No 9 first-team football.

The Chronicle understands that Cisse is one of the players that Sam Allardyce is considering bringing during the January window and offer a loan deal until May with a view to a permanent transfer.

The enquiry means that Toon boss Alan Pardew has a big decision to make with Cisse after leaving him on the bench for THREE months.

United do have money to spend in the window and are thought to have players on their shortlist ahead of the January trading period.

However, there are a number of players out of the team that United may have to deal with too with Jonas Gutierrez, Cisse, Steven Taylor and Sylvain Marveaux all out of the side at the moment.

Cisse did miss the start of pre-season with United due to a dispute about wearing Wonga shirts.

And while many fans thought that was the end of any issues between United, Wonga and Cisse, he has still spent the majority of the first half of the season on the sidelines.

Cisse’s place has been taken by Shola Ameobi but even though the Nigerian striker has been part of the team’s winning run, the long-serving Toon player did not find the net in the Premier League in 2013.

The No 9 on the other hand weighed in with 10 goals despite some games when poor service was noted by supporters.

Cisse is understood to be concerned about his future at United after finding himself frozen out of Alan Pardew’s first team plans.

The No 9 has not started a game in the Premier League since the 2-1 win at Cardiff City at the start of October.

Since then Cisse has been restricted to cameo roles from the bench with one sub appearance amounting to just 18 seconds in the 2-1 win against West Brom.

West Ham are desperate for a striker to bolster their bid for survival and would love to team up Cisse with ex-Toon stars Kevin Nolan and Andy Carroll in the new year.

United’s last piece of business with the Hammers was when Nolan was sold to the Upton Park club for around £4m in 2011.

Should Cisse be left on the bench against West Brom he would then understandably expect to play against Cardiff City in the FA Cup third round on Saturday.

Pardew may use the FA Cup tie to give the likes of Steven Taylor, Jonas Gutierrez, Sammy Ameobi and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa a run-out.

However, with Geordie fans keen to see United approach the cup with a bit of ambition this year Pardew won’t need to be told he must get that balance exactly right.

West Ham on course for an Avram Grant repeat?

Big SamSam Allardyce has been dividing West Ham fans since his appointment in June 2011. Some dislike the style of play he has brought to the Hammers, with others bemoaning his transfer targets. But, with the Irons sitting pretty in the drop zone, is he the man to keep us up? Or is it time for David Gold and David Sullivan to cut their losses and move forward with another manager?

I’m pretty torn on this, as there are valid reasons for and against Sam slinging his hook. You could say (and you’d be right) that we were short sighted in our transfers pre-season, and putting all of your money on a striker and midfielder who are both prone to injuries was a bit of a stupid idea. Sam was in charge of whom we got in, and he messed it up a right treat, didn’t he?

Add that to the rest of the injuries we’ve amassed over this season and it makes a bloody depressing list. Currently on the treatment table are (you may want to take a deep breath): Winston Reid, James Tomkins, James Collins, Andy Carroll, Ricardo Vaz Te, Ravel Morrison and Stewart Downing. Although we may have underprepared, the amount of injuries we have just seems like real bad luck.

There is a horrible similarity between this season and Avram Grant’s last season in charge of the Hammers. We’d got into the semi-finals of a cup then too, and actually had more points with Grant at the same stage of the campaign we’re in now. The board didn’t know when to sack Grant, and so he was only relieved of his duties once we were already relegated. Who knows what the result would have been if he had been sacked sooner.

Another thing to take into account is just how much it would cost to terminate Big Sam’s contract. I’ve read that the board would have to shell out somewhere in the region of £8 million to pay-off the rest of his deal, and I can’t help thinking that that money could and would be better spent elsewhere, bolstering our injury ravaged squad.

Also, no club has ever been taken down by Big Sam. That is quite a massive stat in his favour, and as pointed out by Sky Sports after the West Brom game, and later Kevin Nolan, if Big Sam was available a relegation threatened club would want him as their manager.

El Capitan told the BBC: ”It’s all about us sticking together as a club. We need to the fans to stick with us as well. I am sure we will be OK at the end of the season.Any of the six teams in trouble, if Sam was out of a job, they would hire him to keep them up. The chairmen have been brilliant with him and we’ll be all right.”

I did see a difference in the West Bromwich Albion game and although we didn’t get the win we desperately needed, the players showed more fight and passion than I’ve seen in a while. Hopefully they can build on that looking forward and Allardyce can keep the momentum going and team spirit up. The one change I would like to see is two strikers on the pitch at once!

To me, although he has made some colossal mistakes, I would prefer to keep Big Sam for now. I don’t think his pay-off is worth it, and any other manager will have the same set of players and injuries to deal with, so I can’t see it making a massive difference. I just hope our luck changes soon and once we get some key players back we’ll be back in business! Three points at Fulham is definitely a must.

That’s just my two cents. What do you think? Do we stick with Sam, or go elsewhere? And if we do get a new manager, who would be available that you’d want? Leave a comment or tweet me at @alwaysintune.

McCartney is the latest plum to spin the Allardyce mantra!

The club’s website is full of the usual drivel, as we approach the latest ‘must win’ game with a depleted squad and a makeshift defensive back-line.

I mean, seriously, if you haven’t read the article allegedly penned as a result of an interview with McCartney you could seriously be forgiven for thinking it is old Fat Sam himself that is talking:

“You look at the team, you look at the squad, it’s experienced, it’s got some great players in it. I think in the first, probably, eight to ten games of the season, there were games where we were picking up draws. It goes back to having that little bit of luck and turning that one point into three points, but we just couldn’t put the ball in the net. Eventually it catches up on you, if you’re not really scoring too many goals, other teams are gradually maybe going to get one or two chances and nick a goal. I think that’s why we’ve found ourselves in this situation.

“I could go back to the Newcastle game, the Hull game, the Everton game at the Boleyn Ground, there are five or six games where we should have had the three points, we didn’t, so now it’s up to ourselves to all pull together.

“We’ve got winnable games coming up again and we need to try and get the players that are injured back again. Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Winston Reid are important players. They’re all big misses, so I think once we get everyone fit again we’ll have a full strength squad, we’ll hopefully be moving up the table.”

So, there you have it. Expect nothing until we get those 3 back. Carroll is our saviour. All will be well. Oh, and by the way, Karren (with 2 rs) Brady got a CBE for services to business as a woman. I am sure we would all wish to pass on our hearty congratulations to her, wouldn’t we?

A very Happy New Year to you all.

Big Sam will play it again!

Many of you may not want to hear this but Sam Allardyce’s future is safe!

In any other world there would be a humungous board level inquest going on into the problems the ‘firm’ is facing were it to be in similar straits to West Ham United right now. But it seems that the two Davids have made their minds up – Sam stays!

Sources inside the club have insisted this morning that there will be no change in management with one explaining: “Were Sam Allardyce to come onto the market at this moment there would be a queue of struggling clubs lining up to grab him. We still have faith in him and we have to give him the chance to get bodies back – notably Andy Carroll.”

In response to the question about a possible defeat at Fulham tomorrow, the response was the same: “We stick with Sam.”

The owners have taken the view that there is no-one out there right now who looks anything like an alternative and that as a result they will adopt the line they have done since their days at St Andrew’s forward – stick with what they have.

Sam argues that when he has his injured players back things will look very different but you don’t have to have too long a memory to recall that results weren’t that great before the injuries!

I have never tried to disguise the fact that I will forever be a Ron Greenwood/John Lyall man. That was the brand of football which hooked me as a youngster and has formed the best memories of my football watching career.

I have pulled over the coals many times on my Claret & Hugh website for even the mildest criticism of Sam Allardyce but have always tried to remain balanced and the man’s achievements since he arrived should in no way be diminished.

Can he get us out of this? Perhaps a better question would be: “Can anyone get us out of this?” Given the lack of candidates the owners clearly take the view they have to stick with what they’ve got. And of course there’s the little matter of £3 million compensation which may scupper any January transfer moves.

Who would be an owner – they are damned if they sack and damned if they don’t. On balance – and whichever way one bounces on such a controversial topic you’ll lose friends – I don’t think they have an option but to keep him in place.

As for the rest of us – hand’s together and let us pray!

Is Gyan the answer to our problems?

The press have linked West Ham United with a move for Ghanian striker, Asamoah Gyan. Gyan is currently playing for Al Ain in the UAE, where he has been extremely prolific, and he is also remembered for some outstanding performances forGhana in the 2010 World Cup.
Gyan has previous Premier League experience, after signing for Sunderland in the summer of 2010 – a player who was also strongly linked with West Ham that summer too. Gyan signed for around £13m, and actually marked his first start for the club, with the winner against West Ham in the League Cup.
Gyan appears to be a player who has scored goals at every club he has signed for. Udinese, Modena, Rennes, Sunderlandand now Al Ain. In fact, his stats show that he has reached double figures every season. He has scored 64 goals in 49 appearances in the UAE league, and has 39 goals in 76 caps for Ghana. His time at Sunderland only lasted one season, and it is concerning why his career in England did not last very long. Did he not settle into the lifestyle? Was he unhappy at the club? Did he not get on with the management team? Who knows – nobody really knows what goes on behind closed doors.
Gyan is a strong forward, but is not sort of player who Allardyce likes – in the sense he is under 6ft tall. However, he is quick, makes intelligent runs off the ball, and is a handful for any defence when on top of his game.
Is Gyan enough to improve the squad? Maybe – but I think we need another striker to make sure that we have enough goals in the team to fire us to safety, and a much improved second half of the season.

By @ChelmoHammer

Match Preview: Fulham v West Ham

We thought the 3-0 victory over Fulham at Upton Park would kick-start our season. We all know that the opposite happened. We take a team to Fulham which will have a patched up defence. I see little point in playing four full backs, which we did for the majority of the match against West Brom, but it didn’t work. Pelly Ruddock has been recalled from his loan spell at Luton and if I were the manager I’d blood him alongside George McCartney, with Demel and Rat playing in their usual full back roles.

No one really knows what the situation with Ravel Morrison is. Is he injured? Has he had the mother of all rows with Allardyce? Has he got himself into trouble in Manchester? The rumours abound. It would be great if he played as we need his attacking guile and driving runs, but it would no doubt be Diame would would give way, and I suspect he might do well against Fulham.

In attack, Maiga has earned a start, and in any case i can’t see how Carlton Cole’s knees could stand three games in a week. Better to keep him fresh for Nottingham Forest.

#COYI

Mid-season report: West Ham United

The Hammers made a strong start to the season, but finish 2013 with just three wins from their first 19 matches.

After finishing 10th in the table on their return to the top flight last season, the club made several summer signings, including a permanent deal for striker Andy Carroll.

Sports Mole looks back at the first 19 games of the campaign for Sam Allardyce's men.

August

The team began the season without new signing Andy Carroll, who picked up a foot injury before the start of the campaign, and is still yet to feature.

West Ham started their season at home, beating Premier League newcomers Cardiff City 2-0 thanks to goals from Joe Cole and Kevin Nolan.

The Hammers remained unbeaten following a visit to St James' Park, where they played to a goalless draw with Newcastle United, but they lost 1-0 the following week when Jermaine Pennant struck late on for Stoke City.

September

September began with a goalless draw at Southampton for the team.

The result gave them their only point of the month, with defeats to Everton and Hull City to follow.

The Hammers had looked in a strong position against the Toffees, but the visitors were able to snatch a couple of late goals after Mark Noble was sent off, allowing Everton to take a 3-2 win.

Meanwhile, a first-half penalty for Robbie Brady allowed the Tigers to leave West Ham without a win in their five outings.

October

October started with West Ham's first win since the opening day of the season against fellow London side Tottenham Hotspur.

Winston Reid, Ricardo Vaz Te and Ravel Morrison all found the target in the second half, moving Allardyce's side out of the relegation zone
However, it was back to defeat the following week, as Sergio Aguero and David Silva proved too much for West Ham when Manchester City visited Upton Park.

The month finished with a goalless draw at the Liberty Stadium, leaving them just a point clear of the relegation zone.

November

November started with yet another goalless draw, their fourth of the season, which was followed by a 3-1 defeat to Norwich City.

West Ham's struggles continued when Chelsea visited Upton Park, with Frank Lampard scoring a brace in the 3-0 win for the visitors.

However, November ended on a positive when fellow strugglers Fulham face the Hammers, and conceded three goals in the second half to give West Ham just their third win of the campaign.

December

The side went the entirety of December without adding to their win count, losing four and drawing two in the final month of 2013.

Marouane Chamankh gave Crystal Palace a 1-0 win, before Liverpool thrashed the Hammers 4-1 at Anfield four days later.

The team had to defend well to hold on for a point against Sunderland before facing a tough festive schedule.

Manchester United cruised to a 3-1 win in the final game before Christmas, while Arsenal fought from a goal down to win by the same scoreline on Boxing Day.

Their final fixture of 2013 saw West Bromwich Albion visit Upton Park, with both in need of the win.

n a game which saw both teams lead, the points were split after it finished 3-3, leaving West Ham 19th in the table heading into the New Year.

Loic Remy, 26, has dealt Newcastle a blow by suggesting he may desert the Toon Army if they fail to qualify for next season's Champions League.
Loic Remy

Loic Remy has scored 10 league goals this season

Full story: Metro

Manchester City could be beaten to the signing of 17-year-old Nigerian forward Kelechi Iheanacho by Sporting Lisbon. Iheanacho was named player of the tournament at the recent U17 World Cup.

Full story: Talksport

West Ham target Leo Baptistao has been told he can leave Atletico Madrid on loan, but the Hammers will face stiff competition to land the 21-year-old Brazilian on a temporary deal.

Meanwhile, West Ham have emerged as surprise contenders to sign £8m-rated Southampton striker Rickie Lambert, 31.

Full story: Mirror

Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien, 31, could leave the club in the January transfer window, according to his agent.

Full story: London Evening Standard

Manager Arsene Wenger has hinted he will dip into the transfer market to buy a goalscorer after an injury to Olivier Giroud left Arsenal thin on the ground in attack.

Liverpool are keen on signing FC Basel's 21-year-old Egyptian forward Mohamed Salah - but reports suggesting a £7m fee has been agreed are wide of the mark.
Mohamed Salah

Mohamed Salah scored against Chelsea in the Champions League in November

Full story: Liverpool Echo

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has identified Everton centre-back John Heitinga, 30, as the solution to his defensive problems. The Netherlands international, who has not featured for the Toffees in the league this season, could sign this week.

Full story: Sky Sports

Turkish side Besiktas have targeted out-of-favour Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott, 31, but the England centre-back wants to stay in England.

Full story: Daily Mail

Liverpool want to sign £7m-rated Udinese midfielder Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu, 23.

Full story: Daily Star

Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen hopes to buy 20-year-old Sporting Lisbon winger Zakaria Labyad, despite interest from PSV Eindhoven.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has agreed a "first option" deal for Derby County's highly-rated 18-year-old midfielder Will Hughes.

Tottenham have warned Italian giants Milan and Juventus that attacker Erik Lamela, 21, who signed in the summer from Roma for a club-record £30m, is not for sale.

Hull City are linking up a £1m bid for Celtic striker Georgios Samaras.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

Meanwhile, Celtic are preparing a £1m move of their own for Wolves and Scotland striker Leigh Griffiths.

OTHER GOSSIP

Everton have placed a £25m price tag on left-back Leighton Baines, 29, in an attempt to ward off interest from Manchester United.

Full story: Goal.com

Former Liverpool striker Ian Rush claims forward Luis Suarez, 26, has a £120m get-out clause in his new deal.

Full story: the Sun (subscription required)

Chelsea target Luke Shaw, 18, is set to line up for Southampton against the Blues on Wednesday - a decade after being rejected by the Stamford Bridge club for being too small.

Cardiff still hope to appoint Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as their manager, despite reports the former Manchester United forward has turned down the Welsh club.

Full story: Guardian
AND FINALLY

Tottenham midfielder Sandro, 24, sent a chilling message to Stoke City midfielder Charlie Adam, 28, after his tackle left Paulinho, 25, on the sidelines for at least a month.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MqC0I3_8eQI/U ... ess+02.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chuffster
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: wednesday's news 1 january includes west ham

Post by chuffster »

Cheers CH and Happy New Year! :raver:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

West Ham News: Cole exit on cards

Exclusive

by Hugh Southon

West Ham United are all set to create a £50,000 savings in their wage bill as they bid to attract a top striker into the club.

SportsDirect News has learned that the departure of Mladen Petric will save £30,000-a- week in wages and that he is almost certain to be followed out of the club by £20,000-a-week Carlton Cole.

We have learned that following a decision to keep the rapidly improving Modibo Maiga at the club, the decision to let Cole depart is all but made.

Modibo Maiga’s upsurge in form has eased the pressure to an extent as the club look to get a deal for a quality front man done.

Sources inside the club are still looking at two or three front men but there could also be a move for another centra defender with Everton's Johnny Heitinga a possible target.

“It’s a tricky old business," a source said. "You think you have a player in the bag only to be told he’s gone elsewhere.”

However, Sam Allardyce’s comments on the official that the targets we have been hunting are either unavailable or are looking elsewhere received an amused response.

Our source said: “Sam may be playing the ‘poor me’ card a little bit at the moment – we are all working very hard to maker deals happen.

“With the problems at the back there’s a case for looking in that area too but we are not going to bring in any journeymen - we have to make sure we get better than we have.”

that is modibo maiga’ in the photo not carlton :D
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

chuffster wrote:Cheers CH and Happy New Year! :raver:

same to you buddy
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers CH.

Happy New Year to you and all Kumbers

:thup:
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH, much appreciated. :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Adie64 wrote:Thanks CH, much appreciated. :thup:

no problem mate happy new year to you and yours
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Los Martillos wrote:Cheers CH.

Happy New Year to you and all Kumbers

:thup:

same to you mate
hemelite

Post by hemelite »

Cheers CH, Happy New Year to you and your family - lets hope its a better one than last year :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

hemelite wrote:Cheers CH, Happy New Year to you and your family - lets hope its a better one than last year :thup:

same to you mate i will not hold my breath
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

Thanks CH.

:crest:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

EastLondonHammer wrote:Thanks CH.

:crest:
your welcome mate happy new year to you and yours
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Cheers CH, happy new year!!
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

durham city hammer wrote:Cheers CH, happy new year!!

same to you mate
JohnnyAyriswasg8

Post by JohnnyAyriswasg8 »

Always read your news articles every morning, so thankyou for the time you spend and a Happy New Year to you and yours.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH and Happy New Year :thup:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

west ham15 wrote:Cheers CH and Happy New Year :thup:

same to you and the girls mate
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Petric on 30k a week and Cole on 20k a week. Sullivan why didn't you spend the money in August and get a decent striker in on 50k a week?:headbanger:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Paper Talk - 01 January 2014
Ian Rush claims Luis Suarez has a £120million buy-out clause, West Ham will bid £8million for Rickie Lambert, while Ryan Bertrand is in demand.

Bolton underlined the grim financial reality of Premier League relegation by revealing crippling debts of £163.8million.

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is making an £8million move for Southampton's England striker Rickie Lambert
Brendan Rodgers wants to sign Chelsea's out-of-favour left-back Ryan Bertrand but could face competition from Merseyside rivals Everton.

Chelsea have abandoned their long-standing target of breaking even after recording a loss of £49.4 million for the year ending June 2013.

Ian Rush last night claimed Luis Suarez has a whopping £120million get-out clause in his new deal.
Chelsea go into the New Year nearly £50million in the red.
Wesley Senijder's hopes of a switch to Manchester United in January have been dashed.

Jose Mourinho was given a stark reminder yesterday that the days of virtually limitless spending at Chelsea are over when the club posted a huge annual loss of £49.4 million but still promised to meet Uefa's strict new financial rules.

Cardiff want their new manager in place before Saturday's FA Cup trip to Newcastle and club sources say Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is still in the frame

West Ham are set to sign Everton utility man John Heitinga.

West Ham are ready to change their transfer policy and make an £8million move for Southampton striker Rickie Lambert in a bid to avoid relegation.

Georgios Samaras has emerged as a shock transfer target for Spanish title contenders Atletico Madrid.

Dundee United are bracing themselves to lose starlets Stuart Armstrong, John Souttar, Gary Mackay-Steven, Andy Robertson and Ryan Gauld in January with Celtic and a string of Premier League clubs ready to pounce.
Kenny Miller has pleaded with Ally McCoist to re-sign him at Rangers.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

carnage wrote:Petric on 30k a week and Cole on 20k a week. Sullivan why didn't you spend the money in August and get a decent striker in on 50k a week?:headbanger:

because nothing is simple at west ham