thursday's news and gossip 2 january includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

thursday's news and gossip 2 january includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

Walk of shame: Kevin Nolan trudges off the Craven Cottage pitch

Fulham 2-1 West Ham: Kevin Nolan red card swings relegation six-pointer Cottagers' way

Dimitar Berbatov became the first Bulgarian entitled to stay in Britain without working for it under our new immigration laws.

Fulham striker Berbatov will never be accused of grafting too hard to earn a crust, or getting on the end of a cross if he can send his butler to fetch it.

But as the Cottagers sprang out of the bottom three against the wretched 10-man Hammers, Berbatov's fifth goal of the season settled the first detox derby of 2014 - a match you want to get out of your system as quickly as possible.

According to right-wing scaremongers, when the clock struck midnight and we all linked arms for Auld Lang Syne, millions of Romanians and Bulgarians were preparing to invade our shores.

But after Kevin Nolan's criminal red card a minute before the break, for kicking Fernando Amorebieta off the ball, West Ham switched off and failed to notice a Bulgarian who has been over here for eight years already.

And when Berbatov arrived at the far post in the 66th minute to poke Adel Taarabt's cross past Jussi Jaaskelainen, the Hammers were stranded three points below the dotted line.

Nolan, sent off at Liverpool last month for a spiteful challenge on Jordan Henderson, we can deal with summarily:

He should be stripped of the captain's badge for bringing shame on the regiment. When manager Sam Allardyce is fighting to save his job, Nolan will be a fat lot of use to him in the sin bin for the next four games.

But Fulham, licking their wounds after a six-goal tonking at Hull, are a curious bunch who have turned unpredictable into an art form.

Technical director Alan Curbishley and new assistant coach Ray Wilkins may not have been the new faces fans hoped to see abseiling down the chimney at Craven Cottage in Christmas week.

And when the Premier League's leakiest defence was breached for a 42nd time this season after just seven minutes, as Mohamed Diame turned Jaaskelainen's wind-assisted clearance past David Stockdale, West Ham's task looked simpler than potting jellied eels.

But Stockdale's acrobatic 'scissors' save kept out Nolan's far-post header after 23 minutes - which Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen correctly identified as a turning point - and nine minutes later Steve Sidwell nodded the equaliser in from Damien Duff's corner, seconds after Mark Noble had limped off with a calf injury.

Once Nolan had lost his marbles, the Hammers' only hope of survival was to park the bus, but after Berbatov found a way past Jaaskelainen, Fulham ran down the clock like the mouse in Hickory Dickory Dock.

Substitute Darren Bent, clean through, squandered the chance to settle all arguments.

Meulensteen said: "We definitely needed that after what happened at Hull, and conceding an early goal was not part of the plan.

"Sometimes you can be too eager against 10 men and lose possession in stupid areas, but we found the right balance between being patient and finding the quality to create good chances.

"I know the fans were a bit anxious towards the end, but deep down they understand the situation we are in. Sometimes you need to patient instead of rushing in - and that patience paid off because Berbatov got us the winner and he knows how important this win was.

"It doesn't mean we've turned a corner, but it was a really good reaction to our previous result and that's what I call a Happy New Year."

Seeing red: Kevin Nolan is sent off after kicking out at Fernando Amorebieta at Fulham
Down and out: Amorebieta lies on the ground after he was kicked by Nolan during West Ham's loss to Fulham
Bad boy: Nolan trudges off at Craven Cottage after leaving his side with 10 men in their defeat

Allardyce to review 'irresponsible' Nolan's captaincy after skipper lands four-match ban for kicking out at Fulham's Amorebieta

Kevin Nolan could be stripped of the West Ham captaincy after he was sent off for lashing out at Fulham's Fernando Amorebieta.

With his relegation-threatened side drawing 1-1 at Craven Cottage, Nolan kicked out at the Spaniard after he had blocked his run on the stroke of half-time and now faces a four-match ban, three for the red card and an extra one due to the totting up procedure.

It was the West Ham captain's second dismissal in four games after the 31-year-old was also sent off for a lunge at Jordan Henderson in West Ham's 4-1 defeat at Liverpool on December 7.
Allardyce: Can't understand why Kevin Nolan lost his cool

West Ham boss Allardyce said he will review Nolan's captaincy, admitting he cannot fathom his long-term chief lieutenant's recent behaviour.

'I just don't quite understand where he's lost his cool and why it's happened,' said Allardyce, who saw his side squander an early lead.

'I know the centre-half fouled him, and I also know that (referee) Mark Clattenburg didn't give a free kick and he should have done.

'But it's still not an excuse for what Kevin did, and he ends up getting himself sent off.'

The Hammers had opened the scoring through Mohamed Diame before Steve Sidwell drew the home side level.

Dimitar Berbatov earned Fulham all three points when he finally broke the visitor's resistance in the second half.

The result leaves Fulham two place above the relegation zone but West Ham are second from bottom and three points from safety

The Time is Now For a Decision on Big Sam

For those of you that follow me on Twitter, you will know I have regularly backed Sam. I have written articles on it and have tweeted how I think he is has done a good job for us. He got us promoted in our first season down with a squad that had all its confidence and unity destroyed by the previous management. He then got us a 10th place finish in the premiership which was great for our first season back but perhaps it was this overachievement which lead to some of the problems this season.

I really am losing my faith at the moment and think we have to act fast. If we are to dismiss the manager it has to be now at the start of the window where a new man can come in and make a difference to the squad and bring in his own players. I am really worried that this season is beginning to replicate the disastrous Avram Grant reign. There are many similarities: beating Tottenham, Semi Finals of the League Cup, our main summer signing picking up a long term injury and the underperformance of the club captain being one of many.

I really hope I am not over reacting on the back of the defeat against Fulham but I have been thinking this for a while. Firstly we played a team who had just lost their last game 6-0 to Hull. I accept it was a changed line up but this is the sort of team we should really be going out to attack right from the start as their confidence would be very fragile. Let’s also take into account that we didn’t have any fit central defenders anyway so we couldn’t really hope to defend too well, so attack was the best form of defence. So for me he had to go with two up front in this game and he didn’t. We have a complete over reliance on one tactic which is largely based around a fit Andy Carroll of course which we don’t have!

Carlton Cole should have started this game. We all know he has dodgy knees and that fitness can be an issue for him. He was however subbed off against WBA and so could have been started today. He has a great scoring record against Fulham, which their defenders and fans would have been aware of, so they were probably delighted he was on the bench. I would have started with him and Maiga up top.

The other concerning issue for me to come out of the Fulham game is the Kevin Nolan situation. Our captain had a good game against WBA and I hoped he would build on it. This season he has really struggled, admittedly he plays better off a big target man but the bottom line is there has been games when he should not have been selected to start or should have been subbed off earlier. Sam clearly sees Nolan has his most important player and his voice on the pitch. I saw someone on twitter describe him as “a manager in a kit” which I thought did sum up a lot of his games this season. Sam and the club have been badly let down by our “leader” today. What Kevin Nolan did today is quite simply appalling from a club captain in such a crucial game! When the manager is let down that badly by his captain you have to question what is actually going on at the club.

We then have the off pitch problem with James Tomkins and apparent bust ups with players, the latest apparently being Ravel Morrison. How much of this is Sam’s fault?!, I don’t know, but one thing for certain at the moment is that there is a lot of negative press going around about the club at the moment. A new man could certainly change that in the short term.

There is the summer gamble of putting “all our eggs in one basket” – a quote attributed to David Gold when buying Andy Carroll. I wanted us to sign him and was delighted when we did. What I don’t understand is how he passed a medical when he was apparently injured in the last game of the season! This is not necessarily Sam’s fault but our failure to land another striker has been a huge problem. I love Carlton Cole and am delighted he is back and scoring but the whole situation of him being released and then being brought back was a bit embarrassing for everyone involved.

Sam has been extremely unlucky with injuries without doubt, some referring decisions and players underperforming. Not all the blame can be put solely at Sam’s feet and I do feel for him at times and I am not really convinced on what the alternative is.

It just seems to me that in recent weeks it appears it is going to be very hard to turn this situation around. The keeper rotation of recent weeks was very odd in my opinion too as neither’s confidence could have been particularly helped by being dropped for games. I am not sure what was really gained by those decisions. I have already mentioned the defensive tactic today was a surprise but the team sheet was too. The midfield just didn’t set up right for me today and in my opinion Jarvis had a great game against WBA. He should have started today to build on the last performance.

I am probably speaking from my heart and not my head here. I think Sam has done a very good job for us and if he leaves tomorrow I will be grateful for what he has done for the club. I just feel the chairmen have a very important decision to make now and hiding behind “it will cost too much to sack him” is not an acceptable excuse. It will cost us far more if we get relegated I can assure them of that! One things for certain I couldn’t have predicted we would be in such a bad way at this point of the season, I had us down to finish 8th!! I hate speaking about the club I love in such a negative way but I really needed a medium to vent my frustrations and hope to report on more positive things in future weeks on here and my twitter account where I try to bring up to date transfer news!

Allardyce questions Nolan’s role as West Ham captain

Kevin NolanWest Ham manager Sam Allardyce has laid the blame of West Ham’s 2-1 defeat to Fulham, firmly at the door of club captain Kevin Nolan.

Nolan lost his temper and kicked out at Fulham’s Fernando Amorebieta, making it his second red card in less than a month after the 31-year-old was sent off for a lunge on Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson.

After Nolan’s latest misdemeanor, Sam Allardyce has admitted he will evaluate the captaincy situation and whether the man he had with him at Newcastle United and Bolton Wanderers, is still up to the job.

“I just don’t quite understand where he’s lost his cool and why its happened?” said Allardyce, who saw his side squander an early lead.

“I know the centre-half fouled him, and I also know that [referee] Mark Clattenburg didn’t give a free kick and he should have done.

“But it’s still not an excuse for what Kevin did, and he ends up getting himself sent off.”

But Allardyce felt his side should have capitalised on their early advantage, and Nolan was again to blame.

“He was involved in a real key moment that was looking good for us in terms of the header on the far post that would have sent us two-nil up,” he added.

“After a great start we looked like we could get another one, and go on and test this back four of Fulham’s.

“But when you have a man sent off it gets very difficult indeed.

“So he’s responsible for us probably losing the game more than anything else, there’s no doubt about that.

“I don’t understand it because this indiscretion comes straight after what happened at Liverpool.

“So I’m going to have to find out what’s wrong with him, there’s something wrong with his mentality at the minute.

“Because at his age and his experience, he’s a player I’ve known for many years, I haven’t seen this type of reaction or this type of situation that he’s put himself into.

“The responsibility of the player is to play the game to the best he possibly can, and to go out and be disciplined, apply his talents in the correct manner within the laws of the game – not to lose your head, and not to do anything silly.

“And you can expect it from somebody starting out occasionally, a youngster finding his way in the game, finding out about the nitty-gritty of the Premier League.

“The pulls, the pinches, whatever they might be: but not Kevin.”

“I don’t know yet,” said Allardyce on Nolan’s captaincy situation. “I’m disappointed enough with what he’s done and time will tell.

“I’ll deal with the situation internally as we always do, and my focus will now be the players who are available, not Kevin Nolan who is not available.

Turkish club Besiktas are trying to prise defender Joleon Lescott away from Manchester City but manager Manuel Pellegrini does not want him to leave.
Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal is wanted by Manchester United

Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal is wanted by Manchester United

Full story: Daily Mirror

Jose Mourinho has left the door open for Juan Mata to quit Chelsea this month, despite insisting he doesn't want the Spaniard to leave.

Full story: Metro

Manchester United are considering a club record bid to sign Juventus' Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal, 26.

Arsenal are preparing a January bid for Manchester United's Mexico striker Javier Hernandez, 25.

Full story: Caughtoffside

Crystal Palace boss Tony Pulis is lining up a £2.5m bid for Blackburn defender Scott Dann, 26.

Manchester United boss David Moyes is closing in on Dinamo Zagreb's £6m-rated striker Robert Muric, 17, for a bargain £300,000

Full story: Daily Mail
OTHER GOSSIP

Manchester City are planning to squeeze in a friendly against Al Ain in the United Arab Emirates on 14 January, to open the club's new stadium.

Full story: Manchester Evening News

Sacked Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay watched his former club Celtic kick off the new year on Wednesday with a 1-0 Scottish Premiership win over Glasgow neighbours Partick Thistle.

Full story: Wales Online
AND FINALLY

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo will take on Paris St-Germain's Zlatan Ibrahimovic in a battle-of-the-superstars friendly in Doha on Thursday.

http://www.minutodigital.com/wp-content ... other5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Happyhammer

Re: thursday's news and gossip 2 january includes west ham

Post by Happyhammer »

Morning CH and Happy New year to all.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Happyhammer wrote:Morning CH and Happy New year to all.

same to you mate back to kin work mow
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Cheers CH.

Really ain't in the mood for f*cking work again!
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Billydinho wrote:Cheers CH.

Really ain't in the mood for f*cking work again!

tell me about it i do not understand these people that win the lottry and say they are going back to work would love never having to work again

have a good day mate
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always. Been back at work since Monday, I fookin hate January
essexhog

Post by essexhog »

cheers ch

looking bleak for us atm
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Morning, CH!

Lovely babe :D
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Cheers CH and a Happy New Year, although what with being back at work, West Ham and the England cricket team, I'm not feeling overly happy today
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup: when he came here he slagged off 'the West Ham way' then he slagged off the supporters calling us 'deluded' and he ends up doing this, the cast iron ****
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Cheers CH
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Thanks CH
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Cheers CH
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Cheers as always CH... can't have been much fun typing that up this morning. :(
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

Thanks CH.

:crest:
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

rciron wrote:Cheers CH :thup: when he came here he slagged off 'the West Ham way' then he slagged off the supporters calling us 'deluded' and he ends up doing this, the cast iron ****
No what he said was the West Ham way had come be seen as 'losing' playing good football and losing. Shankley said the same about us too.

But dont let that get in the way of your own views
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Now we play diabolical football and lose.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Cheers C.H :thup: