sunday's news 5 january includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

sunday's news 5 january includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

Bumper deal: Rickie Lambert will earn £65k a week if he moves to West Ham

West Ham will offer Rickie Lambert £65k a week to tempt him away from Southampton

West Ham will offer England striker Rickie Lambert a staggering £65,000-a-week contract to tempt him away from Southampton, writes Alan Nixon in the Sunday People.

The Hammers want the 31-year-old to save them from relegation and hope to agree a fee with Saints.

Lambert will be handed a deal worth twice what he is on to switch to the strugglers.

The deal is backed by Hammers owners David Sullivan and David Gold, who know they need a genuine No.9 to survive.

The club currently lie 19th in the Premier League with 15 points from 20 matches.

Something to chew on: Big Sam will get a big cheque if the Hammers sack him

Big Sam's future has been up for debate at Upton Park following a poor first half to the season but he won't be cheap to replace

West Ham will have to pay Sam Allardyce a staggering £5million if they sack him, writes the Sunday People's Alan Nixon.

Allardyce is under fire from fans and under pressure for results going into today’s FA Cup tie with Nottingham Forest.

But the major stumbling block to his exit is that Allardyce is protected by pay-off clauses in his deal – in the same way he was at Newcastle and Blackburn.

The much-travelled manager’s future is under review after some bad results and the poor return on the £15m spent on Andy Carroll. Murmurs behind the scenes are growing, with Harry Redwanker and Malky Mackay whispered as potential bosses to save Hammers from the drop.

redwanker comes back and that is my lot

You're the man, Sam: Downing has backed his boss to keep the Hammers up

Big Sam is West Ham's best hope to avoid the drop, says Hammers winger Stewart Downing

Stewart Downing insists under-fire manager Sam Allardyce is the best man for the job to save West Ham from the drop.

The winger, who experienced relegation with his hometown club Middlesbrough in 2009, admits it has been a tough season at Upton Park.

But he doesn’t plan on adding a second relegation to his CV.

Former Liverpool midfielder Downing said: “Sam picks the team and it’s up to us to go out and get results, and that’s what we’ve not done.

“It’s easy to blame the manager because he’s at the top.

“He does very well at taking a lot of pressure off of the players.

“Sam was one of the reasons I came to play here, to play for a good manager like him.

“No one wants a relegation on their CV. I’ve been through that and it’s difficult.

“You’re living in the area and people are asking questions all the time.

“When Middlesbrough went down, we were a young team. But when I look at this West Ham team it’s a lot stronger.”

An endless list of Hammers on the treatment table has not helped but Downing refused to offer injury problems as an excuse for the club’s woeful form – three wins in the league all season.

He added: “It’s easy to sulk and point and blame, but at the end of the day you’ve got to go out and get results.

“Getting 11 out at times has been difficult for the manager.

“In that sense it was always going to be tough for us. But I think we’ve played quite well in a lot of the games,. but just not killed off teams.”

West Ham’s threadbare resources will be stretched again today when they come up against Nottingham Forest. Allardyce revealed he will have only 14 senior players available for selection.

The Hammers can forget about their position near the foot of the Premier League table for the next four days at least. They make the daunting trip to the Etihad Stadium for the first leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final tie against Manchester City on Wednesday, before renewing their survival fight in the Premier League against Cardiff.

Downing says Premier League survival is the priority, but two consecutive cup fixtures have come as a welcome breather.

He added: “I look at the positives.

“I look at the players coming back from injury like myself, and the cup games are games to get fit.

“If you play a quick succession of games you obviously get fit quicker.”

West Ham could field as many as eight young players at the County Ground today due to the injury crisis.

Downing, 29, said: “When I was younger most of my chances came in the cup, and if the manager sees a good performance against Forest he might stick the kid in for the league game.”

Return: Jermain Defoe could be set for a loan move to West Ham United if Tottenham let him leave
Back and forth: Defoe played for West Ham between 1999 and 2004 before moving to The Scum Of The Earth
Chat: New Scum Of The Earth boss Time Sherwood will talk to Defoe about the striker's future at the club
On the plane? Defoe (right) will be hoping to play more first team football in the lead up to World Cup 2014

West Ham enter race for Defoe's signature as Hammers eye loan move to boost survival hopes

West Ham will enter the race for England striker Jermain Defoe if Spurs let him leave this month.

Hammers owners David Sullivan and David Gold are prepared to bankroll a move for a proven Premier League goalscorer such as Defoe, 31, to help in their relegation battle.

A loan would be the most likely option as they will not want to commit to a permanent deal until they know which division they will be playing in next season.

Defoe, who spent five years with West Ham, needs to play to boost his World Cup hopes and will talk to his manager Tim Sherwood about his prospects at Tottenham.

A move to Toronto is not sealed and QPR’s interest will come to nothing if Defoe is offered Premier League football elsewhere.

Problems: Allardyce admits he will have to use Under-21 players for this weekend's FA Cup trip to Nottingham Forest
Stay put: Downing said the club would be foolish to sack Allardyce when needing him most in the relegation battle
Seeing red: West Ham skipper Kevin Nolan was sent off for the second time in four matches at Fulham last weekend
Back in business: Andy Carroll has returned to first-team training having been sidelined since the summer with a heel problem

Downing: It would be mad for us to get rid of Allardyce when we need him most

Stewart Downing praised the West Ham board on Saturday night for standing by Sam Allardyce rather than making him the seventh Premier League managerial casualty of the season.

The injury-hit Hammers have a tricky clash at Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup today and, with the club in the bottom three, the midfielder says the club would be crazy to sack Allardyce when he is needed most.

‘The teams at the bottom have lost their managers and, of course, all the talk is about Sam to go next,’ said Downing.

‘But the players love playing for him. When a team are struggling, who do you go out and get? You go out and get a manager who’s a motivator.

‘The owners know this, they see sense. They know they have a good manager, they see the bigger picture — that when we get players back we have a decent team.’

West Ham may end up with only 14 fit first-teamers for today’s clash, the rest of the squad made up largely of untried youngsters.

‘I can understand the manager’s frustrations,’ said Downing, who has only just returned from injury himself.

‘He has been very unlucky. Injuries have killed us at times but, if you look at the bigger picture, players are coming back. Once the manager gets everyone fit, he has got a really good team.’ Andy Carroll is a case in point. Downing went south last summer specifically to link up again with his former Liverpool team-mate, only for West Ham’s £15million record signing to miss the campaign with a foot injury.

‘One of the reasons why I came here was to play with Andy,’ said Downing. ‘His strength is getting on the end of crosses and one of my strengths is crossing a ball.

'We look at it as a positive that he will hopefully be coming back in the next month. Then we have a hell of a player there and a target in the box to get on the end of crosses.’

Downing was relegated with his home-town club, Middlesbrough, in 2009 and is not relishing a possible repeat. All the players, he said, are behind Allardyce to turn things round once key regulars are back. ‘The easiest thing is to blame the manager but I think he does very well in taking a lot of pressure off the players,’ said Downing.

‘He is one of the reasons I came here. You can ask most of the team and they will say the same.

‘I think a few of us have been in this position before and it’s easy to sulk and point and blame but we have to go and get results. There are things going about in the press, pointing the finger and finding out who’s to blame but behind closed doors we stay strong, we are playing for a really good manager who has been in these positions before and when we get players back, we will kick on. No one wants a relegation on his CV.’

Wednesday’s Capital One semi-final first leg at Manchester City follows today’s fixture and West Ham have a potentially galvanising few days ahead.

‘Manchester City is going to be very tough,’ said Downing, who won the League Cup with Middlesbrough in 2004. ‘They could probably put two XIs out and probably win the League with both teams. But I think we have a really good chance, we played really well against them in the second half here after showing them too much respect in the first.’

But staying in the Premier League remains the priority. ‘With all the injuries and suspensions, it has been difficult getting an XI out for the manager. We have played quite well but not killed teams off. But it’s only January.’

HAMMER HORROR: Allardyce is under pressure following West Ham's poor league performances
SUPPORT: Downing is keen to help out Allardyce

Stewart Downing vows to save West Ham gaffer Sam Allardyce

STEWART DOWNING hopes West Ham’s owners do not ­panic and sack manager Sam Allardyce.

He is the only manager of one of the clubs at the bottom of the Premier League to survive the brutal cull of bosses in ­recent weeks, other than Ian ­Holloway – who walked away from Crystal Palace.

Fulham let Martin Jol go, Steve Clarke parted company with West Brom and Malky Mackay was given the bullet by Cardiff owner Vincent Tan in an eventful few weeks.

And ­Downing knows how it feels to be relegated, having ­suffered the agony of the drop at ­Middlesbrough.

What survival calls for is strong leadership and with the Hammers winless in seven games going into ­today’s match with Forest, Downing is urging West Ham’s co-owners David Gold and David Sullivan to keep the faith and back their man, as the club ­struggles to stay in the Premier League.

He believes Allardyce has been ­unlucky, with a pile of players out ­injured. And he reckons the tide will turn once the stars start to come back.

The former Liverpool star said: “I can understand Sam’s frustrations. He has been very unlucky.

“I am desperate to do well for him but I‘ve had two ­niggling injuries and other players have been the same.

“He can see the bigger ­picture and knows players are coming back. Once ­everyone is back he has a ­really good team.

“I’m sure the manager is also trying to bring a few ­new players in.

“The talk about his future goes on ­because all the ­other teams at the ­bottom have lost their managers and people think it’s time for Sam to go next.

“That talk goes around but we love playing for him. He’s a great manager.

“Kevin Nolan said, ‘If your team is struggling who do you go and get? You go and get a manager who is a motivator like Sam Allardyce’.

“The owners here know this. They see sense. They know they have a good ­manager and a decent team when the players are all fit and available.”

Downing is surprised Allardyce is the bookies’ favourite as the next boss for the axe and feels the players must also accept some responsibility.

He said: “The manager picks the team and it is up to us to get results, which is something we have not done.

“The easiest thing is to blame the ­manager but I think he does very well in taking a lot of pressure off the ­players.

“He is one of the sole reasons I came here. I wanted to play for a good manager like him. You can ask most of the team and they will say the same. I was relegated with Middlesbrough after a tough ­season but here at West Ham we know there’s still a long way to go.

“It’s been difficult for the manager to put a side out, so in that sense it was ­always going to be tough”
Stewart Downing

“We could get a couple of signings in this month and get everyone back fit.

“There’s a lot to play for and we still have to play a lot of the teams around us, so we are staying ­positive.

“It’s been difficult for the manager to put a side out, so in that sense it was ­always going to be tough.

“But we have played quite well and not killed teams off.

“Fulham was probably the biggest one on New Year’s Day. We had three or four chances when one-nil up but lost two-one. We didn’t see them off and that has been the story of our season.”

Downing is hoping further success in the FA Cup today and the Capital One Cup can re-energise his team.

After today’s match with Forest, the Hammers play the first leg of their ­Capital One Cup Semi-Final with ­Manchester City at The Etihad on Wednesday.

He said: “Winning any game breeds confidence. If young players get a chance they need to take it.

“It’s difficult to come into a team that’s not getting results but I see it as a chance in any game, league or cup.

“The league is the most ­important thing for us. We have two cup games coming up and the ­manager wants to win.

“I won the League Cup at Liverpool in a difficult first ­season there.

“We finished eighth in the league but I look back at the Carling Cup and think, ‘What a day that was’. You play football to win trophies. I think it’s a chance to get a good win.

“I think a few of us have been in this position before and it is easy to sulk, point fingers and blame people – but we have to go and get results.

“There are things going about in the press but behind closed doors we stay strong. We are playing for a really good ­manager who has been in this position before and when we get players back, we will kick on.

“No one wants a relegation on their CV. I have been through that before with my hometown team and it is difficult.

“But this team is a lot stronger, with a lot more experienced players and the main thing to remember is that injuries have killed us at times.

“One of the reasons I came here was to play with Andy Carroll.

“His strength is getting on the end of crosses and one of my strengths is crossing a ball.

“You can’t ­account for ­injuries, it is part and parcel of the game and he has been very unlucky with two injuries to his foot.”

Downing would love to make next year’s World Cup finals in Brazil but knows he needs to start putting in some dazzling displays to force his way into Three Lions boss Roy ­Hodgson’s plans.

He said: “I’d love to make it to Brazil but my main focus is to stay in the Premier League with West Ham.

“I haven’t been picked for England for a while but while there is a slim chance, I will try my best to make it happen.”

UNDER FIRE: Sam Allardyce has the full backing of everyone at the club according to Stuart Downing

DESPERATE TO DO WELL: Stuart Downing

West Ham star Stuart Downing says the players believe in manager Sam Allardyce

According to winger Stewart Downing, Big Sam is still the man to save the Hammers this season. And, he insists, the club’s owners think ­ the same.

Downing last night cast light on the dressing room and boardroom support for the under-fire manager as injury-hit West Ham face a tough FA Cup trip to Championship promotion hopefuls Nottingham Forest this afternoon with a string of rookies.

The test comes only days before the Hammers play Manchester City in a Capital One Cup semi-final first leg.

Given West Ham’s perilous plight, second from bottom of the Premier League, these are games that could so easily define Allardyce’s future.

But Downing said: “The talk goes on because all the other teams at the bottom have lost their managers and people think it’s obviously time for Sam to go next. But us players love playing for him. He’s a great manager.

“If your team is struggling, who do you go and get? You go and get a manager who is a motivator like Sam.

“The owners here know they have a good manager. They see the bigger picture, that when we get players back from injuries and suspensions we have got a decent team.”

Downing claimed that not many teams would have coped any better than West Ham with so many injuries. “Andy Carroll has been out for a long time. I’ve had two injuries, Ricardo Vaz Te, who has got a couple of important goals, is out and Winston Reid has been out for a long time.

I am desperate to do well for him, he is a good manager

Stuart Downing

“Those injuries all came at once and it has ravaged the team. We have had to rely on players to play three games a week who maybe can’t do that with injuries they are carrying, so it’s been difficult for the manager to get a team out at times, never mind an 18.

“It would be easy to sulk and point fingers of blame but we are playing for a really good manager who has been in these positions before and when we get players back we will kick on.”

Downing admitted that he and his team-mates feel some responsibility for the pressure that Allardyce is now under. “It is up to us to get results which is something we have not done.

“The easiest thing is to blame the manager but I think he does very well in taking a lot of pressure off players.

“Sam Allardyce is the sole reason I came here – to play for a good manager like him.

“And you can ask most of the team and they will say the same. He is a good manager to play for and I am desperate to do well for him. He has been very unlucky with injuries. Now it is up to us to get results.”

Forest winger Jamie Paterson insists that their recent league form, unbeaten in seven games and back in the play-off places, puts a cup upset on the cards. He said: “We are looking forward to the FA Cup game, when we will be looking to add another win to the run.”

The summer signing from League One club Walsall will be looking to keep his place after making his first start in just over a month in the New Year’s Day draw against Reading.

West Ham have confirmed they are in talks with striker Carlton Cole over an extended contract.

Stewart Downing up for the cups to spark West Ham revival

Being known as a "Cup team" is a mixed compliment, implying the ability to raise your game for one-off occasions, but never to sustain it. If Wigan Athletic, FA Cup winners relegated within a week, are newcomers to the genre, West Ham United have been at it rather longer.

Fifty years ago this weekend, they set off on a glorious run that in successive seasons brought Wembley triumphs in the FA Cup, the European Cup Winners' Cup and – Alf Garnett and his fellow supporters have always insisted – the World Cup itself.

Yet over those three years, a team including the fabled trio of Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters could never finish higher than ninth in the League. Indeed, despite adding two further FA Cups in that half a century, one sixth place (1973) and a third (1986) is the best the club have managed, going down no fewer than five times.

It is not untypical then, that while in danger of a potentially calamitous sixth relegation two years before moving into the Olympic Stadium, they face two high-profile Cup ties in the next four days: away at Nottingham Forest this afternoon and in the semi-final of the Capital One Cup at Manchester City on Wednesday.

A couple of away wins against local rivals Tottenham, including in the previous round of the latter competition, have been the only highlights of the season – not what Stewart Downing signed up for when reluctantly leaving Liverpool last summer.

"This team finished tenth, Andy Carroll missed a bit of last season and I looked at it and thought this is a team that can kick on," the former England winger said before training on Friday. "With the players we have and the signings Sam [Allardyce] made, I felt we had a good chance of nicking one of the European spots. One of the reasons I came here was to play with Andy."

With Downing feeding the big centre-forward from one flank and either Matt Jarvis or Ricardo Vaz Te on the other, Allardyce's transfer and tactical strategies were obvious. They depended too heavily, however, on the key figures being fit, and all four have suffered injuries at various times.

Carroll's have been the worst and he has yet to play, which has meant relying on the inferior version of him that is Carlton Cole, the raw potential of Modibo Maiga or, for a spell before Christmas, no striker at all.

Downing himself is only just back from a lay-off, and as one of the senior pros at the club he may have to start either or both of the next two games alongside a crop of youngsters rather than being held back for a different sort of "Cup tie" away to fellow strugglers Cardiff City on Saturday.

At 29, he has seen highs and lows that include a League Cup win with Liverpool and relegation with his home-town club Middlesbrough. Now he hopes that some Cup success could rub off in the League for West Ham: "I see any game, League or Cup, as a chance to win and get confidence. The League is first and foremost the most important thing for us but we have two Cup games coming up and the manager wants to win.

"I won it at Liverpool in a difficult season, we finished eighth, but I look back at the Carling Cup and think 'what a day that was'. It's a great experience, it's what you're in football to do and winning trophies is what you look back on."

He can technically claim an earlier League Cup success, having been an unused substitute when Middlesbrough beat Bolton 2-1 in the final 10 years ago. Now he finds himself playing for the losing manager that day, who has been made the bookmakers' favourite as next for the chop.

Even if allowed to have a bet, Downing would not be doing so: "The talk goes on because all the other teams at the bottom have lost their managers and people think it's obviously time for Sam to go next. The easiest thing is to blame the manager but I think he does very well in taking a lot of pressure off the players.

"He is a good manager to play for. As a whole he has been very unlucky with injuries. As Kev Nolan said, 'if your team is struggling who do you go and get? A manager who is a motivator like Sam Allardyce'. The owners here know they have a good manager, they see the bigger picture, that when we get players back we have got a decent team."

Hammers to give youngsters a chance

Nottingham Forest“The magic of the FA Cup”. The weekend commencing Saturday 4th January is the introduction of the Premier League sides. West Ham drew an away trip to Nottingham Forest, and on Sunday, the Hammers will be looking to start their second cup run.

West Ham are sitting in 19th of the Premier League and Nottingham Forest are ever climbing at 5th in the Championship. After 24 games, Forest have picked up 40 points. They are currently on a 7 game unbeaten run in the Championship and are the joint top team for amount of draws so far (10). West Ham albeit in the league above are without a win in 7 league fixtures.

Team News

Nottingham Forest have three ex-Hammers among their ranks, with two previous loanees; Henri Lansbury and Danny Collins, along with youth system product Chris Cohen. Ex-Premier League regular Andy Reid is the talisman of the side; he leads the goal and assists for the club (7 each). Simon Cox and Darius Henderson both have 5 league goals and are the two likely forwards to feature versus West Ham. David Vaughan will face a late fitness test along with Djamal Abdoun.

No big extent of injuries for Nottingham Forest, which sadly cannot be said for West Ham. Andy Carroll is back in full training but is still a considerable amount of time away from returning, as can be said for Ricardo Vaz Te, Mark Noble, James Tomkins and Winston Reid. Kevin Nolan is suspended once more and will miss the Sunday game.

Stewart Downing has recovered from his achilles injury and after being an unused sub versus Fulham, may start against Forest. Adrian, Matt Jarvis, Joe Cole and Carlton Cole could all start, along with youth players Leo Chambers, Dan Potts, Pelly Ruddock and Blair Turgott. Ravel Morrison could also feature and will likely face a late fitness test, a place on the bench may be more realistic for the English starlet.

Prediction

West Ham seemingly have two sides this season, a cup team and a league team. When the cup team turns up we win. Otherwise, we are rather unpredictable. Therefore we should expect a win? Very rarely will a Premier League side not expect to beat a lower league side, regardless of league form. However, Forest fans will be rather optimistic of a home victory versus a struggling and injury ridden side.

To me this game has little relevance in the grand scheme of things. We can lose here and it means very little, much like the Capital One cup results. A win however, is a win and will be enjoyed, but it seems to have little effect on West Ham’s league form.

Nottingham Forest 2-2 West Ham – It won’t be easy for West Ham and Forest will be a tough test. I think a replay will be required.

official site
Bonzo eyes more cup success
http://www.whufc.com/articles/20140105/ ... 84_3602907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why we should be up for the Cups

IT obviously won’t happen, but wouldn’t it be nice if Big Sham actually fielded his best available XI for both the Nottingham Forest and Man City cup games and vowed to have a real go at taking West Ham as far as possible in the League Cup and FA Cup – as all clubs set out to do back in the day.

Fans will be paying lots of hard earned money to travel to both Forest and The Etihad in the next week, not to mention the cost of watching the home leg of the City tie, but for what? To see an understrength side put out by a manager who couldn’t care less about the cup competitions. OK, so City are a mortgage job to do us over two legs, but at least let’s go down having a go and fighting. Let’s at least give chance a chance, no matter how slim our prospects seem to be.

After all, who are Nottingham Forest? An average team who often struggle to score goals, chasing a place in the Championship play-offs. Even with our current injury crisis, we should still have enough to beat them – if not at the City Ground, then via a replay.

The credibility of both domestic cup competitions has sadly been lacking for a number of years, a sad state of affairs exacerbated by the FA actually allowing – no, actively encouraging – Manchester United to opt out of the FA Cup completely one year so that they could play in the World Club Cup on the other side of the world instead. If the game’s governing body doesn’t take the world’s oldest and once greatest competition too seriously, then it is any surprise that very few Premier League clubs do either?

Of course, we all know that money is at the root of this problem, as it is with many of the game’s ills.

But why wouldn’t a club like, say, Newcastle United – who have won nothing since 1969 – not go all out to win the cups? They are not going to challenge for the Champions League places this season and neither are they in danger of being relegated, so wouldn’t it be nice to give their fans a trophy to cheer? Yet they have played a weakened team again, lost at home to Cardiff today and have now gone out at the third round stage in two consecutive seasons.

To be fair to Pardew, he was the last Hammers manager to take us close to emulating what John Lyall achieved 33 years ago, but let’s not punish ourselves any more by reflecting upon how the 2006 Cup Final panned out in the closing stages.

Of course, managers of teams tangled up in a relegation battle will try and justify putting out fringe and inexperienced young players by saying ’it’s the league that counts’ and ‘we can’t afford any more injuries to first team regulars’. As it happens, this year, our ongoing injury problems will largely dictate the teams BS puts out at Forest and against City, although he – along with far too many other managers – has been treating the cups with contempt for too long. Even if Carroll, Downing and other injury victims had been available, there is no way BS would have put out his first choice team in cup games this season.

And yet the fans are expected to carry on turning up, paying their hard-earned (is it £49 for a ticket to the City home leg of the semi later this month?) and put up with watching what are effectively reserve team line-ups. Unconditional love and devotion. Or, as I see it, taking the piss.

The cynic in me has also noted a disturbing trend that is another blight on the game. Rather than set out to win League Cup and FA Cup ties, Premier League clubs (and others in the lower divisions) now routinely use these games as a convenient opportunity to manipulate the disciplinary totting up process. Clock how many players commit inexplicably ridiculous fouls to deliberately bring about a suspension that will preclude them from (in their eyes) a meaningless cup tie and leave them free to play in forthcoming league matches. You can imagine the dialogue in the dressing room 15 minutes before kick-off…

Manager: “Now remember (insert player’s name), make sure you get booked before the end because we need you to be suspended for next week’s cup game so that you will be back for the league game after that…”

Player: “Ok boss, leave it to me, no problem.”

(I’m not sure what was said between Big Sham and Nolan at Anfield or Craven Cottage, but perhaps the skipper misheard the instructions….)

The FA should take a seriously close look at this widespread abuse of the system and introduce a new rule that would see player suspensions apply to league matches only.

It wasn’t always this way.

Many of us doubtless recall those memorable floodlit games in the thrilling 1971-72 League Cup run that ended famously with a 2-3 defeat by Stoke on the Old Trafford mud. It was heart-breaking to lose in such unfortunate circumstances when Bobby Ferguson got injured and Mooro had to replace him between the sticks, especially after having overcome Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield United in style in the build up to the semi-final saga. Chelsea had already reached the final and we had the Twin Towers in our sights.

At the age of 12, I was overjoyed to see Bryan Robson put Sheffield United to the sword in a 5-0 victory, Pop and Hurstie score the goals that sent Liverpool packing and Clyde Best notch a shock headed winner in an away replay at Leeds. This, at a time when Leeds and Liverpool were among the top sides in the country. There was never any suggestion that Leeds, under the ruthless Revie, would send out a lesser team against us. Look at the quality of their line-up on the night we won 1-0 at Elland Road: Harvey, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Madeley, Gray.

Many of you will recall that gut-wrenching experience when Hurst’s thunderbolt penalty was somehow diverted over the bar at the North Bank end by his England team-mate Gordon Banks in the second leg of the semi-final against Stoke. Those agonising replays that followed at Hillsborough and Old Trafford should have been unnecessary.

But when we inevitably lose to Man City over two legs this month (and there will certainly be no shame in that), no-one apart from us sad, old romantics will give a toss. By the next morning, all thoughts will turn again to the desperate battle for precious league points. It’s all about money now.

There is, however, one obvious way the English football’s governing authorities of the could change clubs’ attitude towards the cups for the better… simply award Champions League places to the winners of those trophies, instead of the top four in the league. In the event of a team winning the cup double, give the CL place to the losing finalists.

*The latest issue of our retro EX magazine includes a rare, in-depth and exclusive interview with Frank Lampard, whose diving header winner against Everton in the 1980 FA Cup semi-final is etched in West Ham folklore. A year’s (UK) subscription costs as little as £12 at http://www.ex-hammers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where has the magic gone?

West Ham 1964 FA CupSo first weekend of the New Year and if we flashed back circa 20 years ago, clubs, fans and the media would be getting themselves into a proper frenzy with regards the most romantic football weekend of the season, FA Cup 3rd round weekend.

So in 2014, we instead find the majority of clubs finding this great competition a hindrance in their already cluttered season, while your younger fans, the sky generation and certain sections of the media will struggle to understand why the older generation of fans find this dismissive attitude to the competition so alarming.

When I was growing up as a child in the 1980s the FA Cup really meant something, Cup Final Day was almost as exciting as Christmas Day! Sadly I was too young to remember our win in 1980, but the fact remains this is the last major thing we won as a club. As I grew older I soon realised West Ham would not ever win the league and as such the cups were our source of glory.

Now I know we support football clubs through thick and thin (plenty of thin for us) and you stick by them regardless, however, surely you support a club in the hope that one day they will win something and give you that glory moment? In 1991 we navigated a cup run all way to the semi-finals and I don’t recall it really derailing our promotion that season? Granted in true West Ham fashion we lost the Division 2 title on the last day of season by losing at home to Notts County, but I digress! The point which I am trying to make is why in the modern game is it deemed as almost unprofessional to combine a cup run with your league season?

Now granted given our current predicament I would not blame Sam Allardyce for fielding a weakened team Sunday, however, given our injury crisis, he would seem to have little choice. But if we lie down and die in the Capital One Cup semi-final against Manchester City, I will be dismayed, sadly this would appear to be the case, given the recent comments from the Manager.

So why do our domestic cups mean so little these days? The expansion of the European Cup, to a Champions League format for me is the major nail in the coffin. The Champions League is a cash cow for the big clubs and the TV companies, the bigger it gets the more it takes over and I am fairly confident that within the next 10 years the Premier League as we know it will not exist. The big clubs of Europe will be playing in a European Super League, where we will be as a club lord only knows?!

The cups will continue to whimper on but sadly I now think they are past the point of being rescued. The football I grew up with and fell in love with no longer really exists. If success is now simply securing top-flight status so that the money rolls in, then you must ask yourself what really is the point?

For the nostalgic record one of my best memories from the Boleyn Ground in season 97/98, a FA Cup replay against Arsenal when John Hartson equalized for us at the Bobby Moore End, the stadium rocked beyond belief, blimey even Arsenal still thought the FA Cup was important then! We eventually lost the penalty shoot out, proper ecstasy then agony, but hey is that what being a football fan is all about?

Out-of-favour Manchester United forward Wilfried Zaha, 21, is being targeted by former Old Trafford hero Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for a loan move to Cardiff City.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Rafa Benitez's Napoli have not made a bid for Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata and do not believe they can prise him away from Stamford Bridge this month. Benitez, who managed his Spanish compatriot at Chelsea last year, would like to take the 25-year-old on loan but Chelsea are unlikely to agree to such a request.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

Porto's Colombian striker Jackson Martinez, 27, has revealed that he grew up supporting Arsenal and says he would love to join the Gunners this month.

Full story: Metro

Manchester United target Fabio Coentrao has been told he can leave Real Madrid for £12m. The Old Trafford club missed out on the 25-year-old Portugal international last summer.

Chelsea are ready to make a £30m bid for Wayne Rooney, 28, if there are any problems with the Manchester United striker's proposed talks about a new contract.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

Southampton's England striker Rickie Lambert, 31, wants to move to West Ham in an £8m deal but Saints will not allow him to go before they sign another forward.

Full story: the Sun (subscription required)

Chelsea are also considering a move for Nantes and Senegal centre-half Papy Djilobodji, 25.

Full story: Daily Star Sunday

Tottenham want Juventus strikers Mirko Vucinic and Fabio Quagliarella, both 30, to replace Toronto-bound Jermain Defoe.

Full story: Sunday People

Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott has hit back at a group of the club's fans on Twitter after Saturday's 1-1 FA Cup draw against Blackburn.

Full story: Manchester Evening News
Stevan Jovetic

Jovetic has not played since October

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho believes there are too many foreign managers in the Premier League and has urged British coaches to follow the lead of Steve McClaren and work abroad as they look to advance their careers.

Full story: Sunday Telegraph

Arsenal's Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner, 25, will miss two months with an ankle injury sustained in the 2-0 win over Cardiff.

Full story: the Sun (subscription required)

Stevan Jovetic must prove his fitness to Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini before the end of the season in order to remain at Etihad Stadium. The 24-year-old Montenegro striker has struggled with injuries and has made just one Premier League start since joining from Fiorentina in the summer.

AND FINALLY

League Two side AFC Wimbledon have asked supporters to provide a loan player with a bed for a few weeks with the club operating on one of the smallest budgets in league football.

Full story: Metro

http://girls.go41.de/cchpcs/asian-tople ... 64x495.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Re: sunday's news 5 january includes west ham

Post by 61dicksey »

Cheers CH and a very good Sunday morning to you.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

61dicksey wrote:Cheers CH and a very good Sunday morning to you.

no problem mate
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.

Hope the Lambert story has legs, he is worth the money and would score the goals we are so desperate for. As would Defoe and I would be more than happy to see him back, whatever happened in the past is history, we need goals and either of Lambert or Defoe will do just that.
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

Thanks mate :thup:

I wonder if Ba is sitting there stroking his chin thinking 65K eh...regarding the Lambert move that is...What would Ba be on atm?
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

_fortunes_ wrote:Thanks mate :thup:

I wonder if Ba is sitting there stroking his chin thinking 65K eh...regarding the Lambert move that is...What would Ba be on atm?

would be happy with mini me but would much prefer demba ba if i had a choice
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Cheers CH, as always.

Hope the Lambert story has legs, he is worth the money and would score the goals we are so desperate for. As would Defoe and I would be more than happy to see him back, whatever happened in the past is history, we need goals and either of Lambert or Defoe will do just that.

said on i think the bbc round up that he wants to come to west ham hope it is true
the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Post by the wren »

If we get Traore I can see us going for for a striker/secondary striker. Vucinic is still being linked with us.
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

65k per week for 31 year old forwards? Is that really where football is these days?
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

Philosophical Dan wrote:65k per week for 31 year old forwards? Is that really where football is these days?

yes mate agree but i guess the owners must think it is worthwhile in the long run what with there move to there beloved olympic stadium to safe guard
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
west ham15

Post by west ham15 »

Philosophical Dan wrote:65k per week for 31 year old forwards? Is that really where football is these days?
I always think who cares?? Even 1k a week is to much for kicking a football

But thats just me
the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Post by the wren »

Sam could try this new training method. Warning! Girls in underwear!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ce-2984163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

west ham15 wrote:Cheers CH
you are welcome mate hope you and the ladies are well 8-)
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

cockney hammer wrote:in the long run what with there move to there beloved olympic stadium to safe guard
It is increasingly difficult to see anything other than the OS as their motivation. Which is pretty depressing, all things considered.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

today's star

EXCLUSIVE: Everton's Johnny Heitinga open to Newcastle move

The Everton defender sees Toon as a safer bet than the struggling Hammers, who are in the market for a defender although it is not clear if they are ready to make their move.

The centre-back, 30, who also plays midfield and at right-back, wants first-team action to boost his World Cup chances with the Holland squad.

The Dutch star can quit Goodison for a cut-price as his deal is up in the summer.

tToon are struggling at the back, with injured skipper Fabricio Coloccini and the suspension of Mathieu Debuchy being the latest blows.

Meanwhile, Toon boss Alan Pardew is closing in on a £5million deal for Reading keeper Alex McCarthy, 24 - as revealed in the Daily Star Sunday - but now face stiff competition from Everton.

Toon are set to continue with their cross-channel recruitment drive with the signing of wonderkid Nathan Dekoke, 17.

Fulham were also after the French startlet but Dekoke is believed to have told Toon he wants a move to St James' Park.

The St Etienne defender, who plays centre-half or left-back, also plays for France U18s and is tipped for stardom.

Newcastle have offered the player a four-year deal and are said to have reached a verbal agreement with the player's agent.
west ham15

Post by west ham15 »

I'm feeling better today woke up early hours of Saturday morning chucking me guts up and i thought i would have to cancel my trip to Nottingham, Anyway last min yesterday before my train was leaving Jo persuaded me and here i am just woken up in hotel

What we do for our West Ham ?
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

It is increasingly difficult to see anything other than the OS as their motivation. Which is pretty depressing, all things considered.

hear hear
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

west ham15 wrote:I'm feeling better today woke up early hours of Saturday morning chucking me guts up and i thought i would have to cancel my trip to Nottingham, Anyway last min yesterday before my train was leaving Jo persuaded me and here i am just woken up in hotel

What we do for our West Ham ?

i had it real bad last week mate being diabetic does not help sadly

anyway have a great day mate give them a shout for me wish i was going today mind you i still wish i was going every game home or away
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

the wren wrote:Sam could try this new training method. Warning! Girls in underwear!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ce-2984163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Packing my boots.Moving to Belgium asap. :lol: