monday's news 6 january includes werst ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

monday's news 6 january includes werst ham

Post by cockney hammer »

Jamie Paterson celebrates as West Ham players look on

Nottingham Forest 5-0 West Ham: Humiliation for Big Sam as his kids are dumped out of the FA Cup

Sam Allardyce was red-faced after this humiliation which left at least one young Hammers fan in tears.

West Ham boss Allardyce picked the kids and his side’s diabolical collapse made some of the club’s younger fans cry.

As Allardyce’s weakened team crashed to an embarrassing reverse at Championship Forest, unforgiving TV cameras spotted a West Ham-supporting boy sobbing.

It was undoubtedly scant consolation that Allardyce made nine changes ahead of the club’s Capital One Cup semi-final first leg on Wednesday at Man City.

Rookies Seb Lletget, Danny Whitehead and Callum Driver all made their first appearances for West Ham.

They will swiftly want to forget the occasion after a baptism of fire but Forest’s 22-year-old hat-trick hero Jamie Paterson will not.

His trickery won an early penalty cheekily converted by Djamel Abdoun.

Paterson, an astute summer signing from Walsall, then struck three times after the break in an irresistible display.

He was subbed to a standing ovation before skipper Andy Reid - who yesterday penned a new contract - added a fifth in stoppage time.

“I certainly won’t forget that game,” said Paterson, who helped fifth-placed Forest extend their unbeaten run to eight matches.

“It’s a good result for us, we’ve been doing well in the league and we took it into a cup game.”

The win is theoretically a cup upset but once the team-sheets were announced bookies had already installed the hosts as favourites.

Allardyce, with injury and suspension problems ahead of a Capital One Cup semi-final, handed out five debuts - including two off the bench.

But his gamble backfired badly as the Premier League strugglers had their fragile confidence further dented.

The opener came after just 12 minutes as Paterson beat George Moncur with a clever turn before being tripped.

Referee Martin Atkinson pointed to the spot and Abdoun dinked in a lofted spot-kick.

Jamie Paterson on his hat-trick: "I'm happy with that"
Laurence Griffiths

Ravel Morrison was denied an equaliser from a curling free-kick by keeper Karl Darlow.

After the break Allardyce handed further debuts to Reece Burke and Blair Turgott before also sending on youngster Mathias Fanimo.

But Forest doubled their lead when Greg Halford held the ball up before teeing up Paterson to find the far bottom corner with a left-foot finish in the 65th minute.

Paterson’s second came just six minutes later as Henri Lansbury squared the ball for Paterson to net.

With 11 minutes to go Paterson completed a memorable treble to leave boss Billy Davies purring.

The Scot said: “Jamie Paterson is a fantastic young talent and can play in a number of positions.

“But he has a great personality and is a single young player and can get up to a lot of tricks.

“We’ve pinned him down in a nice flat and made sure he’s behaving.”

Paterson was lively on the pitch too as he put West Ham to the sword with his clinical finishing.

But there was still time for a final insult when Reid smashed home Abdoun’s lay-off in injury time to leave West Ham thoroughly humbled

Dejected: Allardyce watches his young players get dismantled at Forest

Sam Allardyce says situation at West Ham is a DISASTER after 5-0 mauling by Nottingham Forest

West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce accepts the current situation at Upton Park is a "disaster" following the 5-0 FA Cup humiliation against Nottingham Forest.

A number of injuries and suspensions led to the Hammers' boss making nine changes for the trip to the City Ground - as the Premier League strugglers were thumped by their Championship opponents.

And Allardyce accepts things are currently at an all-time low at Upton Park - as the problems continue to mount.

He said: "My hands are tied behind my back every time I see what's available and the team is almost picking itself.

"It's a disaster at the moment, a total disaster and in certain areas we've not been able to cope."

The defeat compiles the misery for Allardyce - who is now under immense pressure - with the club sliding perilously to 19th in the Premier League table, following a run of seven games without a win.

Co-owners David Gold and David Sullivan are unlikely to act immediately but their hand could well be forced - should the Hammers fail to pick up in the coming weeks - something which Allardyce is well aware of.

Asked if he expected repercussions, he said: "There might be, who knows? It's their decision, not mine.

"I'm not saying it won't happen unless I start to get results. I have got to get results, I know that."

Injuries and suspensions led to the West Ham manager handing debuts to several of the club's youngsters - including Seb Lletget, Danny Whitehead and Callum Driver - as his second string were thumped by the Reds.

Rout: Forest players celebrate their 5-0 success at the City Ground
Laurence Griffiths

And with a Capital One Cup semi-final against Manchester City coming up this week, Allardyce admits his priorities ultimately lay away from this afternoon's encounter.

The 59-year-old said: "What choice did I have? I don't think I had one.

"I make the decisions for benefit of everyone at the football club. We have a huge amount of problems in terms of available players.

"I picked the team so it's my responsibility. You know what my priorities are: the priorities are the Premier League first and then Capital One Cup."

His problems have not been helped by the failure to sign Everton defender John Heitinga - with the Dutchman rejecting a move to Upton Park last week.

Allardyce has made no secret of his desire to improve his defence this month and earmarked Manchester City's out-of-favour man Joleon Lescott as a potential acquisition.

He added: "I don't know if Joleon is available, but if it is possible, I would like to get him."

Well beaten: West Ham players look dejected as Jamie Paterson after Jamie Paterson scored Forest's third
Hard to watch: One young West Ham supporter was spotted crying by TV cameras during the FA Cup defeat
Appreciated: West Ham have offered the fan the opportunity to watch a future fixture in the director's box Image
Ht-trick hero: Midfielder Henri Lansbury jumps on Paterson following the striker's third strike of the afternoon

That might cheer him up! Crying West Ham fan promised prime tickets after Cup exit

West Ham have offered one young supporter and his family the chance to watch a future match in the club's director's box after the fan was spotted crying by TV cameras during the Hammers' 5-0 drubbing at the hands of Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup third round.

Sam Allardyce's side suffered a deflating defeat away to the Championship outfit on Sunday and it was too much to take for some supporters.

A statement on West Ham's official website read: 'Sunday afternoon's defeat at Nottingham Forest was tough for all to take, but particularly for one tearful young man in the away end.

'Everyone at West Ham United shares this young man's disappointment and are grateful for the large numbers of fans that made the trip to the City Ground.'

'To show the Club's appreciation for the travelling Claret and Blue army, the Board, manager and captain would like to offer this young fan and his family a chance to watch an upcoming fixture at the Boleyn Ground from the Directors' Box.'
Ht-trick hero: Midfielder Henri Lansbury jumps on Paterson following the striker's third strike of the afternoon

The east Londoners travelled to Nottinghamshire with a depleted squad and were deservedly beaten - Forest frontman Jamie Paterson scored a 14-minute second-half hat-trick while wideman Djamel Abdoun and Andy Reid also got their names on the scoresheet.

West Ham, who travel to Cardiff next Saturday, currently sit 19th in the Premier League table, three points from safety, and have lost four and drawn two of their last six fixtures.

Lambs to the slaughter... just who are the five young Hammers blooded by Big Sam in West Ham's humiliating FA Cup thrashing?

Tumble: West Ham's Sebastian Lletget takes on Andy Reid (centre) and Guy Moussi
Tough day: West Ham's Danny WHitehead looks dejected after the 5-0 defeat at Nottingham Forest
In the nick of time: West Ham's Callum Driver makes a superb challenge to deny Greg Halford
Clumsy: West Ham's George Moncur (right) looks on after tripping Jamie Paterson to give away a penalty
Ouch: West Ham's Dan Potts (left) is fouled by Nottingham Forest's Henri Lansbury
Talented: Blair Turgott (right) has been a regular for England's youth teams and came on as a sub at Forest
Clinical: Prolific Elliott Lee is the son of West Ham and England midifelder Rob Lee but didn't feature at Forest

Lambs to the slaughter... just who are the five young Hammers blooded by Big Sam in West Ham's humiliating FA Cup thrashing?

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce fulfilled his promise to field a number of youngsters for the FA Cup third round tie at Nottingham Forest.

It wasn't a happy day though for the fresh-faced Hammers as their side crashed out of the cup with a humilating 5-0 defeat.

Here, Sportsmail tells you more about the young players who were blooded at the City Ground.

IN THE STARTING XI...

Sebastian Lletget, 21

Attacking midfielder, from California, impressed when given games in pre-season. Possesses good technique and has USA youth caps.

Lletget was booked just before the break for tripping Djamal Abdoun and had a shot parried away by by Forest goalkeeper Karl Darlow.

Danny Whitehead, 20

Signed from Conference North side Stockport County after recommendation from former manager Dietmar Hamann after previously going on trial at Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester. An attacking midfielder capable on the ball and comfortable passer.

Whitehead had an effort on goal in the second yard but his 20-yard shot from Ravel Morrison's cut-back was deflected wide for a corner.

Callum Driver, 21

Versatile full-back and big presence at Under-21 level. Went out on loan to Burton Albion last season and coped well, scoring once in eight appearances.

Driver made a superb block just after the half hour mark when he lunged in with a sliding tackle to prevent Greg Halford scoring from six yards.

George Moncur, 20

Son of West Ham favourite John, the centre-midfielder is tough at tackling and slick at passing. He won the club’s Young Hammer of the Year award last season for consistent displays.

The inexperience took its toll, however, on Moncur as he clumsily tripped Forest's Jamie Paterson inside the area for a penalty which Djamel Abdoun chipped home to put the hosts 1-0 up.

Moncur was later replaced Matthias Fanimo in the 55th minute.

Dan Potts, 19

Son of West Ham favourite Steve, he usually plays left-back but can shift to the centre. Was knocked unconscious during the league game at Arsenal last season.

It was a tough day for Potts at Forest as the Hammers' defence leaked five goals.

ON THE BENCH...

Blair Turgott, 19

Winger with pace, skill and an eye for goal who enjoyed a productive loan at Bradford last season. Has been a regular for England youth sides.

Turgott replaced Stewart Downing in the 64th minute and had a stinging shot on goal which was turned wide by Darlow.

Elliot Lee, 19

Diminutive striker and clinical finisher in similar mould to Tony Cottee. Has scored seven goals in eight appearances for the club's Under-21s. He is the son of former West Ham and England midfielder Rob.

Lee remained on the bench during West Ham's humiliating defeat.

West Ham kill of interest in Asamoah Gyan
as they turn their sights on Ivorian striker
Traore

West Ham are on the verge of securing the services
of striker Lacina Traore – meaning their interest
in Ghana captain Asamoah Gyan will no longer
exist.

The West London club are desperate for
reinforcements especially in attack in the January
transfer window to boost their bid for Premier
League survival.

West Ham have been without lead man Andy Carroll
for most parts of the season even though he has
started training.

But boss Sam Allardyce is determined to get some
cover for the injury-prone English striker which
led to interest in Black Stars striker Asamoah
Gyan.

The Hammers are however unlikely to secure the
Ghanaian who has been in superlative form for UAE
club Al Ain since moving from Sunderland in 2011.

West Ham have now turned their sights on Ivorian
hitman Lacina Traore who has just completed a
reported £8.3m move to Monaco from Russian club
Anzhi Makhachkala.

Monaco have agreed to loan out the 23-year-old to
the English club until the end of the season.

But Traore's move is subject to him passing a
medical and securing a work permit with a
scheduled hearing later on in the week.

This means West Ham will no longer be pursuing
Asamoah Gyan who scored his 16 th goal of the
season on Saturday.

The Black Stars captain has finished the last two
seasons as the top scorer in the UAE top flight.

Many believed a move back to England will be just
what Gyan needed to get himself in greater shape
ahead of June's World Cup.

But Al Ain have declared their unpreparedness to
let their leading striker go despite their
inconsistent form this term.

FIVE things we learnt about West Ham against Nottingham Forest

Nottingham ForestSunday lunchtime’s FA Cup 3rd round tie at Nottingham Forest ended in an embarrassing 5-0 defeat for the Hammers, who fielded largely a youth team from their under-21 squad, with three or four exceptions.

I can’t say I’m too disappointed that we are out of the cup, if truth be told, what with our Premier League troubles, our huge injury list and upcoming Capital One Cup semi-final, but nonetheless I would have liked our youngsters to have put up more of a fight than they did. Here are five things I learnt about West Ham from that match.

1. Some good signs from some of our youth team.

This may be a surprising thing to say, given the nature of the defeat, but I actually thought that some of our youth midfielders did show some talent on the ball, especially in the first half and at the start of the second.

Although Forest largely dominated possession, when players like George Moncur and Danny Whitehead did have the ball, alongside the slightly more experienced Ravel Morrison, they did show some good touches and passing ability, which was quite pleasing on the eye. Whether any of these players will ever make it into our first team is probably doubtful, but there was some potential shown.

2. Why didn’t Elliot Lee get a chance?

I was quite looking forward to seeing how our youth players would get on, playing against a top Championship side, and the one I would have most liked to seen in action was striker Elliot Lee.

He is the one player out of our Under-21s who has been talked up the most by fans and the club alike, with an excellent goalscoring record this season, and he has made one or two substitute appearances for the first team.

So, I found it rather puzzling why Sam Allardyce didn’t at least bring him on off the bench against Forest. I thought Modibo Maiga was pretty awful up front all game, not really having a sniff against the Forest back line, and fatally hesitating in the one opportunity he had. Lee could hardly have been any worse, and it would have been some good experience for one of our more promising youngsters.

3. Our youth players are not ready for first team action.

There have been quite a few calls from fans in the last few weeks for Allardyce to start promoting some of our youth talent to the first team in light of our injury crisis. However, I hate to say this but today showed why he hasn’t done so.

The inexperience of the youth players was clear for all to see when Forest had the ball. The pressing was poor, and the midfield and defence were constantly caught out of position. The penalty conceded by George Moncur highlighted this inexperience, with a needless foul made in the box in a non-threatening position.

I don’t want to criticise too much, as they were clearly out of their depth against a good team, but no one really stood out to me as ready for first team action. Indeed it was noticeable that we were absolutely ripped to pieces after two of our experienced players in Stewart Downing and Alou Diarra were replaced in the second half.

4. Sam Allardyce made the right team selection today.

It is a sad thing to say, but it was clear that Allardyce wasn’t concerned with winning this tie, and I don’t blame him. We cannot afford any more injuries with players seemingly dropping like flies over the Christmas schedule, and the extra time off for most of our team has to be the right decision, what with the first leg of the Capital One Cup semi-final being played on Wednesday, before a vital League game against Cardiff City on Saturday.

I know you should try and win every game, but any sort of run in this competition could work as an unwanted distraction when things are so desperate in the league. I firmly believe that reaching the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and semis of the Capital One Cup three seasons ago was a big factor in our relegation under Avram Grant, and we cannot afford these extra games. In addition we now have a better idea of what level our youth players are at.

5. Our supporters deserve recognition.

Despite my last point, I really do feel sorry for all those supporters who made the trip to Nottingham for a 12 o’clock kick-off on a Sunday, only to see a youth team get dismantled by the Championship high-fliers.

They packed out the away end and sang their hearts out, which must have been embarrassing for the home team, who had seas of empty seats in their stands. I certainly wouldn’t go as far as saying the club should refund those supporters for their tickets, but I believe the club should recognise what they have done in some form. Whether that be some sort of discount I don’t know, but the club should put some thought into it.

Joleon Lescott: Wanted by West Ham

West Ham eye move for Joleon Lescott

West Ham United have made an approach for Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott.

Sky Sports understands that in a similar deal to that for Everton's John Heitinga, who turned down a move to Upton Park earlier this week, West Ham are willing to take over the remaining six months of Lescott's deal, with an additional two years on top.

Turkish outfit Besiktas have previously claimed that they are hopeful of landing the England international, who is keen to secure regular first team football ahead of the summer's World Cup.

Now West Ham are looking to entice Lescott to East London, and help bolster their relegation battle.

Liverpool and Spurs are both considering a move for former Chelsea forward Salomon Kalou with the 28-year-old Lille player set to move back to the Premier League.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Norwich are hoping to revive a deal for Everton defender John Heitinga, 31, who last week abandoned a move to West Ham.

Full story: Daily Mail

Bayern Munich striker Mario Mandzukic, 27 is being monitored by Manchester United and Arsenal after the German side confirmed that Robert Lewandowski will join the club at the end of the season, putting his place in the team under threat.
Tom Ince

Ince could be set to move from Blackpool without the club getting a transfer fee for the midfielder

Full story: Daily Express

Wealthy French club Monaco are keen to sign up England Under-21 winger Thomas Ince from Blackpool in a bargain deal with the 21-year-old's contract with the Championship side due to expire in the summer.

Cardiff manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has moved to make former Manchester United academy players Magnus Wolff Eikrem, 23, and Mats Moller Daehli, 18, his first signings. Midfielder Eikrem is due to arrive from Heerenveen for £2m with Daehil coming from his former club Molde.

Full story: Daily Mail

Derby chief executive Sam Rush has told suitors of teenage midfielder Will Hughes, who are believed to include Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United, that the 18-year-old will not be leaving Pride Park in January.

Full story: Daily Star

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert admits his squad lacks a creative link between midfield and attack and insists he has identified potential players, who are expected to include Norwich's Wes Hoolahan, 31, and Porto's Steven Defour, 25.

Full story: Birmingham Mail
OTHER GOSSIP

Macclesfield Town will seek an explanation from Sheffield Wednesday as to why the Championship club have set admission prices for their FA Cup replay without consulting them and will try to get those prices [£10 for adults and £5 for concessions] increased.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

West Brom striker Shane Long wants the club to sort out the managerial position as soon as possible. The Baggies have been without a permanent boss since Steve Clarke was sacked over three weeks ago.

AND FINALLY

Nottingham Forest boss Billy Davies celebrated his team's FA Cup win over West Ham by challenging a journalist to a race for a pork pie.

http://static.nuts.co.uk/images/gallery ... s!_02_.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ch's bonus babes we all need a ift after that

http://static.nuts.co.uk/images/gallery ... girl50.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Happyhammer

Re: monday's news 6 january includes werst ham

Post by Happyhammer »

Morning CH what a day this morning is. Bit like west ham is too. *****.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH, much appreciated.
_fortunes_

Post by _fortunes_ »

Thanks CH

F*cking hate Mondays'. Then I saw the botd. Not much else to cheer about in all honesty.

Have a good week :thup:
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

Saw what you did there CH...sad days.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Thanks CH.

Unfortunately, even the bonus babes couldnt cheer me up today. :(
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Thanks CH only bright bit today was the BOTD's.

Hey Steve the first babe picture the girl on the right reminded me of when I was a nipper playing cowboys and indians.

Remember the bow and arrows with the big red suckers on them, when they would stick to a window and you would try to pull it off the stick would come away leaving the red sucker stuck on the pane. That's exactly what they looked like.

And funnily enough you had to lick those to make 'em work as well. :D
Last edited by ageing hammer on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hemelite

Post by hemelite »

First day back at work after the Xmas hols, and already I've had to put up with S**t from two spuds. today's going to be murders.

Thanx for all your hard work CH, happy new year... :thup:
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup:
wicklowiron
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by wicklowiron »

Not great reading today CH, but thanks as ever just the same.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH

Dont be to depressed people we have a semi final on Wednesday to look forward to !!!
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

looking forward, like f**k i am, another 5 or 6 nil thrashing on the cards if you ask me :fsake:

thanks ch
nobleforengland

Post by nobleforengland »

Cheers CH :thup:
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH, glad to see you are still doing the news
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

It must be soul destroying to do a news round up after yesterday's embarrassment.

Good on yer CH. :thup:
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

kayahammer wrote:It must be soul destroying to do a news round up after yesterday's embarrassment.
Good on yer CH. :thup:
That's why CH made a freudian slip (er . . . a typo) and rather aptly titled the thread Werst Ham.
FYI, halfway thru' the season we're currently on track for our worst-ever W-D-L record. And I mean ever.
That takes some doing, especially considering the tactical genius-maestro otherwise known as Avram Grant.
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

Thanks CH.

:crest:
SussexIron

Post by SussexIron »

Thanks CH!
Moxy

Post by Moxy »