wednesday's news 8 january includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

wednesday's news 8 january includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

Good sign: Allardyce meets autograph hunters (albeit in October

Majority of West Ham supporters back Sam Allardyce insists Sam Allardyce

Sam Allardyce insists he has the backing of most West Ham fans.

While supporters have voiced their frustration from the stands and on social media during the Hammers’ recent bad run, Big Sam maintains it is a different story when he meets them face to face.

The Upton Park boss - also publicly backed by the club’s owners on Monday - said: “Most of the West Ham fans I meet and have pictures taken with and stand and talk to are very positive. Not the minority who show their disapproval.

“It's only a minority, not a majority. The people I see and bump into in this area [east London], or before games away from home, ask for autographs and pictures. They’re always very positive.

“The negative side of it, people getting disgruntled, you understand the frustration because people want to see results. We understand they pay the money and are able to do that. But it is still a minority. The only way to make them feel better is by winning games of football.”

Allardyce was speaking ahead of the first leg of West Ham’s Capital One Cup semi-final against Manchester City on Wednesday.

He goes into the contest needing an improved display from his men after just one win in their last 13 Premier league games and Sunday’s 5-0 FA Cup humiliation when he fielded a shadow team full of youngsters at Championship side Nottingham Forest.

Despite a public statement backing him 24 hours later from Hammers co-chairmen David Gold and David Sullivan, Allardyce admits he is still under pressure to turn things around.

Former Hammers boss Harold Redwanker, now in charge across London at QPR, remains the odds-on favourite for Allardyce’s job.

He added: “The owners’ track record proves they haven’t been too rushed into anything. They’ve never been too rushed into what decisions they make.

“Over the last 18-20 years, they’ve given the managers they’ve had a good chance and stuck by them when things are not going so well.

“History tells you continually changing managers doesn’t mean success. But I’m realistic to know I have to get results, particularly quickly from my point of view, as a manager. [It] depends on what results I get from now until... well, over the next few weeks or games.

“In the end, we all know what happens if you don’t get results as a manager.”

Gentle Giant: The Ivorian beanpole could soon be arriving at Upton Park

West Ham hope to complete loan signing of Monaco's giant Ivory Coast striker Lacina Traore

Under-pressure West Ham manager Sam Allardyce is hopeful a loan deal for Monaco striker Lacina Traore can be completed within the next 48 hours.

Traore, who recently signed for Monaco on a four-and-a-half-year deal, will be loaned out immediately, with West Ham being the clear favourites to sign the Ivorian.

The 6ft 8in striker, also nicknamed the “Gentle Giant,” would also follow former Anzhi Makhachkala stars Samuel Eto’o and Willian to London after owner Suleyman Kerimov drastically cut spending at the Dagestan based club.

At a press conference earlier today Allardyce said that the Hammers were "reasonably close without being absolutely certain" of signing the Ivorian and are now waiting on a work permit and a completed medical before they can confirm taking Traore on loan.

A completed signing would see some much needed firepower come to the Premier League strugglers, who have seen record signing Andy Carroll relegated to the treatment table for whole season so far, although the England striker may be fit enough to feature against Newcastle next week.

Allardyce will be desperate to see Traore hit the ground running and lift West Ham out of the relegation zone, but the Ivorian has only one goal to his name this season scored against FC Lokomotiv Moscow back in July of last year.

West Ham 'saviour' Andy Carroll returns to first-team training sporting a Jesus-esque beard

The England striker hasn't featured at all for the Hammers this season but has stepped up his long-awaited comeback this week

The return of Andy Carroll is likely to fill West Ham supporters with much optimism - as their side continue to struggle in the Premier League.

However, his questionable facial hair is unlikely to be so popular - as he continues his attempts to look like Jesus.

The Hammers' official Twitter account posted an image of Carroll back in training today - alongside new loan signing Roger Johnson - sporting a fully-grown beard, as he attempts his second coming at Upton Park.

Last month, the England international took to Twitter to post a picture of himself in an ice bath - bearing a passing resemblance to Jesus.

The image was accompanied by the words "Jesus Christ....Just seen my twin in the ice bath."

And while he is unexpected to be match fit for a considerable while, the Upton Park faithful will be hoping he can act as the club's saviour and resurrect their relegation-threatened season.

Star man: Ravel Morrison is not going to Fulham according to his West Ham manager Sam Allardyce
Under-fire: Hammer boss Sam Allardyce presided over the dismal 5-0 FA Cup loss to Nottingham Forest
Remember me? Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen hopes to use his Untied connections with Morrison

Ravel's going nowhere! Under-fire Allardyce denies Hammers star Morrison wants out to relegation rivals Fulham

Sam Allardyce has flatly denied claims Ravel Morrison has asked to leave West Ham and be allowed a move to Fulham.

Morrison, 20, is one of West Ham's best players but speculation is rife that he could be sold if a substantial bid comes in.

It has been revealed a clause in his contract stipulates his wages at Upton Park must quadruple to £60,000 per week if a club offers £10million, while Rene Meulensteen is understood to want to use his personal connection with Morrison, from their time together at Manchester United, to help engineer a switch to Craven Cottage.
Star man: Ravel Morrison is not going to Fulham according to his West Ham manager Sam Allardyce

One report suggested Morrison had requested such a transfer, but Allardyce said: 'There's no truth in that. But I'm not surprised there's another rumour about Ravel Morrison.'

He added: 'We haven't had any discussions about Ravel Morrison being sold by this club.' Morrison, who has 18 months left on a contract he signed in January 2012, is West Ham's top scorer this season with five goals.

Sam Allardyce has turned around worse runs than West Ham's current seven-game failure

Survival is name of the game for West Ham manager Sam Allardyce

ONE step from Wembley. Silverware at last. It is the sort of path to glory the infamous “Sam Allardici” would have strolled along many times by now.

The highly decorated, fashionable alter ego invented by the glum-jowled Midlander “would have won titles every year” at Europe’s biggest clubs and have a trophy cabinet filled with cups. If he had been given a chance.

But the accident of the “dependable” name, which the West Ham manager blames for not getting any plum roles, is the very thing that is keeping Mr Allardyce in a job.

Five of the managers in the bottom seven are gone, sacrificed by trigger-happy owners who were convinced the bright young things they hired to take their clubs to another level were in danger of doing precisely that.

Meanwhile Allardyce keeps his owners’ confidence because they know he will continue the prosaic battle for survival which he has fought so many times before – after the distraction of tonight’s Capital One Cup semi-final first leg against Manchester City.

“Our focus now is Wembley,” the West Ham boss insisted gamely. “We’re not thinking about the Premier League until after Wednesday night. For now we’re focusing upon that fantastic arena.

“If we got to Wembley in a cup final, the experience is better than the play-offs, it’s a greater joy.”

However, at a busier than usual pre-match press conference, talk of the “magic of the cup” always struggled to compete with the more serious predicament in the league.

“Something on tomorrow’s game would be nice,” prompted the club’s press officer at one point, as questions on West Ham’s plight in the Premier League dominated. “How do you think Pellegrini would handle this relegation situation?” was offered up by way of compromise.

“I don’t know,” said Allardyce. “I know of his record at the top, but I don’t know if he has had this position in his earlier years. Maybe. There is a period of time, when you’ve been doing it as long as I have, when you may have a period like this.”

Seven Premier League games without a win should not hold too many fears for Allardyce. At Bolton and Blackburn, the 59-year-old experienced, or inherited in the case of Paul Ince’s disastrous tenure at Ewood Park, five longer winless runs. Each time, the slide was turned around and, on average, a recovery of more than four places up the table achieved by the end of the season.

It is that reputation which the people around West Ham are trusting to stave off relegation yet again. That goes for the players as much as for the board.

“I don’t believe there is another manager out there you would want in charge of this club,” says winger Matt Taylor. “Sam is an extremely experienced manager both in the Premier League and lower down.

I don’t believe there is another manager out there you would want in charge of this club

Matt Taylor

“I don’t think the situation would have been any better had someone else been brought in. I and the players are giving the manager 100 per cent backing.

“So is Sam anxious? Not at all. The manager is very professional in his work. He will set the team up to try to combat Manchester City in the best way, the same way he has done all season.

“There is a lot of furore surrounding the manager but the main thing is when we are given the opportunity as players to go out on the pitch, he can’t influence decisions that we make, the passes that we make, the tackles we make.

“All he can do is pick the team he thinks is right for that game and we go out and hopefully implement the tactics he has given us. As players we need to take some responsibility for it.

“You look at the teams he has managed, you look at the success that he has had as a manager in keeping teams in the Premier League. I don’t think I need to sit here and tell you his strong points – they are there for everybody to see.”

Andy Carroll could be back in the squad “within the week” and “one or two” more signings could join defender Roger Johnson in the next few days.

Certainly Allardyce is hoping they will all prove to be strong points. And if not? “In the end, we all know what happens if you don’t get results as a manager,” he said. “We are in a critical area.”

West Ham manager happy to turn attention away from relegation battle for semi-final date with Manchester City

Capital One Cup: Sam Allardyce relieved to have pressure off for one night

For West Ham United, Wednesday night's clash with Manchester City is an exercise in damage limitation. Sam Allardyce will task his patched-up side with fighting to keep the Capital One Cup semi-final alive into the second leg before attention switches to Saturday's trip to Cardiff, the "biggest game of the season" according to Matt Taylor.

Boosted by the return to fitness of key players – possibly even the rarely sighted Andy Carroll – the Hammers will fight on another front in the bigger battle to stay in the Premier League. But then everybody inside and outside Upton Park knows what has happened to the best-laid plans of Allardyce and his men in weeks gone by.

The League Cup is a happy oddity in West Ham's season, a silver lining amid the storm clouds. They have won more games in the competition than in the league.

The triumph at Tottenham in the quarter-finals is the sole occasion in which they have come from behind to win this season – Taylor could not remember the previous time the side had managed such a recovery (it was against Chelsea in December 2012).

Allardyce has made his priorities for the week quite clear. Sunday's "done and dusted" FA Cup humiliation was bottom of the list. At the Etihad is next best and Cardiff top priority, but for the moment it is about City and the allure of going to Wembley for a cup final, a journey the club have not made since 1981.

Allardyce spoke of the "great joy" of experiencing a Wembley cup final, as he did when he was in charge of Bolton a decade ago.

"We are in a very exciting cup tie with a massive, massive feeling of joy at the end of it if, as big as the underdogs that we are, we can get to Wembley," the manager said. "We don't have the same pressure we experience in the Premier League, that is for certain. We don't have to beat them on Wednesday. We have to come back with something realistic to beat them at home if we can."

Allardyce remains under no illusions how difficult it will be to get that "day out" at Wembley nor that it is what happens after the semi-final first leg, once West Ham have flown back south to begin preparations for Cardiff, that will decide his own future.

By 2 March, the day of the cup final, he could be out of a job whether West Ham are there or not. The clubs surrounding West Ham in the league have all dismissed their managers. On Monday the club's co-chairmen, David Gold and David Sullivan, supported theirs.

"Their track record proves they haven't rushed into anything," said Allardyce, admitting he was grateful for the public backing. "Over the last 18-20 years, the managers they've had, they've given them a good chance and stuck by them when things are not going so well.

"The reactions [of club owners in general] are getting quicker and quicker and quicker due to the impatience throughout the game for success. Success isn't built overnight. History tells you continually changing managers doesn't mean success. But I'm realistic to know I have to get results particularly quickly. In the end, we all know what happens if you don't get results as a manager."

Taylor insisted that for all the external "furore" surrounding Allardyce and the club, inside all is calm. "In-house everything is pretty buoyant," he said. "I don't believe there is a manager out there you would [rather have] in charge at this precise moment.

"You look at the teams he has managed, you look at the success he has had as a manager in keeping teams in the Premier League. I don't think I need to sit here and tell you his strong points – they are there for everybody to see."

Roger Johnson, who trained with the team for the first time following his arrival on loan from Wolves, is set to make his debut with Allardyce anxious to add more height to his back line; he highlighted City's aerial and physical threat.

Mark Noble may be fit to play at City and certainly against Cardiff as the injury crisis eases. James Collins and James Tomkins should be ready for Cardiff too and, most encouraging of all for Allardyce, Carroll could be on the bench as early as Saturday. That, at any rate, is the plan.

Pellegrini prepared for Hammers backlash

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini expects his under-fire West Ham counterpart Sam Allardyce to bounce back from his weekend FA Cup humiliation.

A youthful Hammers team were thrashed 5-0 by Championship side Nottingham Forest on Sunday, increasing pressure on Allardyce, but Pellegrini is reading little into that result ahead of the Capital One Cup semi-final first leg.

Pellegrini said: "They had an awful result but they played with young players. I am absolutely sure this will be a very different game."

Kick-off 7.45pm

Television Sky Sports 1

Referee J Moss (Tyne & Wear)

West Ham's Sam Allardyce is the only manager retained from last summer by any of the top flight’s bottom five clubs.

Sam Allardyce knows he must inspire an upturn at West Ham

Sam Allardyce has conceded his future as West Ham United's manager hinges on instigating an immediate upturn in results, despite the show of support offered by the club's joint chairmen before Wednesday's Capital One Cup semi-final against Manchester City.

David Sullivan and David Gold had reacted to Sunday's thrashing by the Championship club Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup third round by publishing an open letter to supporters in which they acknowledged the strains under which Allardyce has been operating. They added that the club's manager since 2011 had "not lost his ambition or desire and is committed to making West Ham a great Premier League club".

The manager welcomed that unsolicited backing but, with his team 19th in the table and without a Premier League win since November as they address the first leg of their semi-final at the Etihad stadium, he recognises there will be no job security unless the team's slump is arrested. "In the end, we all know what happens if you don't get results as a manager," he said. "But I'm here. I'm pushing the club forward with the help of everybody here at the club, from top to bottom.

"We've had a very good success in a short period of time. We're having a very poor experience at the moment. [Everything] depends on what results I get from now until … well, over the next few weeks or games. We are in a critical period playing in this cup game where we want to try and go out and give a great account of ourselves, to try and give the fans and ourselves a great day out at Wembley."

Allardyce, who hopes to have West Ham's record signing Andy Carroll fit enough to return to his match-day squad in the next two weeks, is the only manager retained from last summer by any of the top flight's bottom five clubs, a turnover which reflects the anxiety in boardrooms at the prospect of dropping out of the money-flushed division. "Our owners' track record proves they haven't been too rushed into the decisions they make," he said. "Over the last 18 to 20 years, they've given their managers a good chance and stuck by them when things are not going so well.

"But look at this season alone: the reactions are getting quicker and quicker and quicker due to the impatience throughout the game for success. Success isn't built overnight. Success has to be built over a sustained period of time. There are difficulties within that time that you experience and you have to try to get through, and history tells you continually changing managers doesn't mean success. But I'm realistic to know I have to get results, particularly quickly from my point of view, as a manager."

Big Sam banned from making permanent signings

Big SamSam Allardyce has been banned from making any permanent signings for West Ham, during this transfer window, according to the Daily Star.

The board has taken the move to restrict Big Sam to making only loan signings due to the ever increasing pressure on him – despite issuing an open letter, yesterday that insisted they supported the Hammers manager.

The Daily Star believe that the David Gold and David Sullivan will instead stump up £3.5 million in wages to bring in several loan additions, as the Hammers fight to stay in the Premier League.

This isn’t the first time Gold and Sullivan have implemented these sanctions, with Avram Grant receiving the same treatment. Grant brought in Robbie Keane and Wayne Bridge on loan, while Demba Ba joined on a six-month deal which allowed him to leave if the Hammers were relegated.

Erik Lamela's Tottenham career looks all but over after his father revealed the 21-year-old wants to quit White Hart Lane. Forward Lamela joined Spurs in the summer in a club-record £30m deal.

Full story: Metro
Tottenham Hotspur forward Erik Lamela

Erik Lamela joined Tottenham for a club record £30m last summer

Tottenham Hotspur have been put on alert to reports that Paris Saint Germain have joined their French Ligue 1 rivals Monaco in pursuit of 23-year-old right-back Kyle Walker.

Full story: The Independent

Fulham forward Bryan Ruiz, 28, could be set to leave Craven Cottage for Spanish club Real Betis. Ruiz became Fulham's record signing when he arrived from FC Twente for £10.6m in 2011.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Queens Park Rangers manager Harold Redwanker has warned Newcastle that striker Loic Remy's price is rising all the time. Redknapp says Newcastle risk missing out on the 27-year-old Frenchman if they do not make an offer soon.

Arsenal will step up their efforts to sign Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata, 21, on a season-long loan this week.

Full story: Daily Mail

Norwich will reject an offer from Aston Villa for Wes Hoolahan - and any transfer request from the 31-year-old Republic of Ireland midfielder.

Full story: Daily Express

AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli, 23, has rubbished reports that he could leave the club this month.

Full story: Goal.com

Crystal Palace want Blackpool winger Tom Ince, 21, and Everton striker Nikica Jelavic, 28, to bolster their survival bid.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

West Bromwich Albion want to sign Craig Gardner from Sunderland. The 27-year-old midfielder is out of contract in the summer and could move on a free when his deal expires but Albion chairman Jeremy Peace might look to make a move this month.

Full story: Mirror
Sunderland target and Brighton midfielder Liam Bridcutt

Sunderland target Liam Bridcutt is Brighton's reigning player of the year

Hull City have told Nottingham Forest to meet their valuation of Jack Hobbs or risk losing the 25-year-old centre-back to Wigan Athletic.

Full story: Hull Daily Mail

Brighton midfielder Liam Bridcutt has handed in a transfer request, with Sunderland interested in signing the 24-year-old midfielder.

Full story: Brighton Argus

Russian club Zenit St Petersburg are set to outbid Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham for Basle's 21-year-old winger Mohamed Salah .

Full story: Daily Express
OTHER GOSSIP

Nemanja Vidic is likely to leave Manchester United at the end of the season after his agent ruled out a contract extension. The defender, 32, is in the final six months of his contract but will not discuss a new deal, with a move to Serie A on the cards.

Full story: Daily Mail
Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic.

Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic is out of contract at the end of the season

Andrea Pirlo is close to signing a new contract with Juventus. The 34-year-old midfielder is ready to agree a two-year extension to his current deal.

Full story: NBC Sports

Michael Chopra's Twitter rant is set to spell the end of his career at Blackpool. The 30-year-old striker was fined £10,000 after comments he made via social media.

Full story: Daily Star

Former England and Queens Park Rangers striker Jay Bothroyd has signed a £5m deal to join Muangthong United in Thailand.

AND FINALLY

West Ham United fans are hoping Andy Carroll will be their saviour - and the 25-year-old certainly looked the part as he returned to training sporting a 'Jesus-like' beard.

Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong could find himself in hot water after a cheeky Instagram post about David Moyes following Manchester United's defeat at Sunderland.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/arch ... 54945a.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Happyhammer

Re: wednesday's news 8 january includes west ham

Post by Happyhammer »

Good morning CH.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Happyhammer wrote:Good morning CH.

morning mate off to sodding work now
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Cheers CH
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

you think you've got it bad...im off to ****ing Manchester now!
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

w4hammer wrote:you think you've got it bad...im off to ****ing Manchester now!
:lol:
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Cheers CH looking forward to the consolation babe tomorrow :(
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Thanks CH
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

Thanks CH.

:crest:
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Thanks CH
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

cheers CH best read of the day its so good to read facts as opposed to the b/hit the red tops put out.lets hope we all have something to be positive about after this evenings game. :crest:
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Nice job CH - thanks
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH, much appreciated. :thup:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Cheers CH.........BFS glad to have a night off.....oh no you haven't mate :lol:
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

Thanks Mate
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Cheers CH. Mate - don't bother tomorrow: it will only make you miserable and there will be nothing to cheer anyone up unless BFS is sacked! Have a lie in :)