The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
57%
No
32%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 1278

Bob

Re: The Olympic Stadium- An Apology

Post by Bob »

55 tomorrow and i had tears, anyone take me to Alton Towers please :(
gavind
Total likes: 1 like

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by gavind »

who says they changed the shape?

take a circle, and view it from a lower perspective and it looks oval.
it aint rocket! a slightly clever way of manipulation however.
mushy
Has liked: 652 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Orient CEO has a few things to say...
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... t-ham-dont" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For what its worth I make him right.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 520 likes
Total likes: 1313 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

At least our running track only has two lanes and not 8 judging by the picture :thup:
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

A 2/3 full athletics stadium won't stop things like last night happening.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

James P wrote:A 2/3 full athletics stadium won't stop things like last night happening.
It's not about last night, James.

Having a more solid infrastructure, a new lease of life, more financial freedom will enable us to implement the changes to overhaul every ****ing thing from the scouting policy, down to the running of the ticket office, down to the tea lady at the training ground.

At the moment, we're stifled. We've always been at The Boleyn and it's been fine. Now we're gonna be left behind and we're in a rut and I'm ****ing fed up of it.
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

i'm getting to the stage that i don't give a fukk anymore, it'll be the same s*** different stadium that's all.
double pie'n'mash luv

Post by double pie'n'mash luv »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
It's not about last night, James.

Having a more solid infrastructure, a new lease of life, more financial freedom will enable us to implement the changes to overhaul every f***ing thing from the scouting policy, down to the running of the ticket office, down to the tea lady at the training ground.

At the moment, we're stifled. We've always been at The Boleyn and it's been fine. Now we're gonna be left behind and we're in a rut and I'm f***ing fed up of it.

Here, here RARS. It's time we picked ourselves up and stopped this mediocre nightmare.
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

Rars,

Our problem has never been income. We have always taken in more than enough money. We've featured a couple of times in Deloittes Top 20 for revenue despite playing at The Boleyn.

Our problem has always been our incompetent spending. We are the world champions of pissing money up the wall. If we could just spend the odd pound a little more sensibly rather than giving fortunes to tinpot northern clubs, a string of former managers, crocked forwards, good looking swedes, geriatric Australians, overweight South Africans, and the rest, we'd be far better off than we are. All this can be handled without a move to an athletics stadium.

The OP's tone is that for West Ham to stop making his kid cry, we need to bring more money in. We don't, and the OS probably won't do that anyway. We just need to engage a second or third brain cell when the chequebook is open.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Hope, expectation, heartbreak and constant disappointment is what being a West Ham fan is all about, not easy success every season. I'd hate to be someone like Arsenal moaning that they haven't won a trophy since the bygone ages of 2005 or 'crisis club' Liverpool languishing all the way down there in 7th.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

James

I understand that.

I just won't blame the OP for wanting a new, fresh outlook on things. An entire change of mentality and a new start.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

[quote="The only way the Daves will make any money is if they significantly improve this football club, on and off the pitch. I hope they double/treble/quadruple their money because it will mean we have gone from a financial basket case ekeing out an existence in the Premierships basement to a strong, financially stable football club playing at a higher level.

Sullivan and Gold making lots of money out of us = a good thing. :thup:[/quote]

Denbeigh you are incorrect on this!

Firstly they will be making massive revenue streams through events and concerts etc and more importantly football clubs are possibly the only businesses in the world that are no longer bought and sold on how much profit it makes but on it's potential and resale value.
The only premier league club making a profit right now is Arsenal!
2 Options for you;
1) West ham value Jan 2011at Upton Park with only potential to redevlop east stand and with current premier league status = value of £80m to £100m.
2) West ham value Jan 2015 at Stratford with a 60,000 seater stadium on a 200 year lease(which means it's as good as being the freeholder) and links to an events company etc with additional revenue streams and with current premier league status - value of £200m+.

So in short they buy the club for it's real value of £105m in 2010, invest say £2m in geting OS and then by 2015 they have a club worth a lot more. Just look at what they did at Birmingham they owned it for 16 years and WON NOTHING and yet sold it for a big profit! They are buying this for the same reason but this time they will not be our owners for 16 years that's for sure!
Last edited by paulhs1 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

smfc wrote:Still the roof looks nice eh? Not entirely sure where the floodlights are on the new version, maybe we can't afford them ;)
So much for retractable seating etc. We are gonna be miles from the pitch and they have cleverly manipulated the imaging to show the
athletics track as being smaller!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

Got a bigger version of it here.

StiffUpper
Total likes: 1 like

Post by StiffUpper »

I wouldn't worry too much about that image, it just shows the current temporary structure West-Hammed up.

Our proposals will be much different, for better or for worse.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I refuse to believe the stadium in that picture is a circle.

I do like the idea of lights under the roof though.

I had visions of the roof looking like this...

JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes

Post by JonG86 »

It's not a circle:
http://www.london2012news.co.uk/wp-cont ... tadium.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tinyurl.com/6jvz8hd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think about it logically if the stadium was a circle there would be MASSIVE gaps either side of the athletics track on the straights.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Why did I think the Olympic Stadium was a circle?....

f*** this. I'm going to do some work. Everything West Ham related is messing with my head :lol:
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

The Old Mile End wrote:[
Morning Pop.

The problem I have with that image is that a lot of people are going to look at it and think it doesn't look bad. They won't see a stadium that has been digitally changed from a Maracana bowl into an old Wembley shape.

!

as I did - at first glance you don't really think about the change in shape of the stadium, it's only when it's pointed out and you take a closer look that you feel something isn't quite right having said that untill we see actually see the finished article for real we don't really know how good or bad the stadium will be.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

gavind wrote:who says they changed the shape?

take a circle, and view it from a lower perspective and it looks oval.
it aint rocket! a slightly clever way of manipulation however.
Not quite the same angle, same shape for sure :wink: