The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
57%
No
32%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 1278

mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by mushy »

saludo de carlitos wrote: If you were born in EAST LONDON, you are an eastender, not a north londener, shame you and many fail to see this. You obviously don't understand London territories. Lucky there are plenty of true supporters of West Ham still from Chingford.
Sorry to piss on your chips but this is not strictly true, the East End was traditionally the area that stretches east from the city right up until the River lea (in other words the old county borders) -right where the Thames Ironworks were. So to be an Eastender you needed to be from Stepney,Bethnal Green, Limehouse, Poplar etc. But if you are from Canning Town you are NOT an East Ender but an East Londoner. Its called the East end as its the East End of the city, a bit like the West end on the other side.
So you can well be born in East London and not be an East Ender.
Pedant alert!.
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

Is Walford in the east end then? :think:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

OLDUN wrote:Is Walford in the east end then? :think:
I think so Pele used to work in the garage with Phil and Minty a few years ago.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Chingford in the East End? It's a ****ing suburb.... :lol:
StiffUpper
Total likes: 1 like

Post by StiffUpper »

Walford is a cross between Walthamstow and Stratford apparently.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

prophet:marginal wrote:Chingford's not what I'd describe as East End; its practically in the countryside!

The East End, like the West End, connotes a smaller area either side of the City. Tower Hamlets is traditional East End, as are parts of Hackney. Maybe now Newham is described as East End, but traditionally it wouldn't have been. It was Essex until after the war.
:thup:

Exactly. Just as there is a difference between the West End and West London, there is a difference between the East End and East London.

Neither West Ham nor today’s Stratford is actually in the East End, as there are on the wrong side of the River Lea (which was the old geographical border between Essex and Middlesex until 1967).

Today’s ‘Stratford’ used to be called “Stratford Langthorne”. On the opposite Middlesex side of the Lea was “Stratford-by-Bow” (which is in the East End), but today it’s simply called ‘Bow’.

West Ham Utd FC gets it’s ‘East End’ roots from the fact as "Thames Ironworks" they use to play homes games in Poplar.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Ok East London is fine :D, it's still East London, not North. EEEEEEEEEiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIttttttttttttttttttttttssssssssssssssssssss in the Post Code. Chingford = Oh east London is wonderful, oh east London is wonderful, N17 is full of *****.
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Neggsy wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned already but I saw an article in the Times last week comparing the two bids. It stated that the front row behind the goals would be 45 metres away from the touch line. If this is true then I don't see how anyone could contemplate moving to the OS. I know the atmosphere at UP doesn't compare to the pre-all seating days but at least there is still some atmosphere particularly in the corner of the TB Stand and on occasion we can make a real racket. Moving to a ground with a running track will kill off any remaining atmosphere. If it happens then I'll pack it in and I suspect a lot of others will as well, probably what's left of our more vocal support. Rather than take the club forward I think this move could kill us.
spot on mate! I would like to see the configuration plan that corrects this - great sight line, provided you are long-sighted and like subbuteo style spectating!
:crest:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

So when I sing "East, East, East London"

Where am I talking about....... :lol:
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

davids cross wrote:So when I sing "East, East, East London"

Where am I talking about.......
E1 LONDON Eastern head district: Aldgate (part), Bishopsgate (part), Whitechapel, Shoreditch (part), Spitalfields, Shadwell, Stepney, Mile End (part), Portsoken Tower Hamlets, Hackney, City of London
E1W LONDON Wapping Tower Hamlets
E2 LONDON Bethnal Green district: Bethnal Green, Haggerston, Shoreditch (part), Cambridge Heath Tower Hamlets, Hackney
E3 LONDON Bow district: Bow, Bromley-by-Bow, Old Ford, Mile End, Three Mills, London Gas Museum Tower Hamlets, Newham
E4 LONDON Chingford district: Chingford, Sewardstone, Highams Park Waltham Forest, Epping Forest
E5 LONDON Clapton district: Upper Clapton, Lower Clapton, Leyton (part) Stoke Newington (part) Hackney, Waltham Forest
E6 LONDON East Ham district: East Ham, Beckton, Upton Park (part), Barking (part) Newham, Barking and Dagenham
E7 LONDON Forest Gate district: Forest Gate, Stratford (part) Newham, Waltham Forest
E8 LONDON Hackney district: Hackney Central, Dalston, London Fields Hackney
E9 LONDON Homerton district: Homerton, Hackney Wick, South Hackney, Hackney Marshes, Victoria Park Hackney, Tower Hamlets
E10 LONDON Leyton district: Leyton, Temple Mills, Hackney Marshes (part) Upper Clapton (part), Walthamstow Marshes Waltham Forest, Hackney
E11 LONDON Leytonstone district: Leytonstone, Wanstead, Aldersbrook (part), Snaresbrook, Cann Hall Waltham Forest, Redbridge
E12 LONDON Manor Park district: Manor Park, Little Ilford, Aldersbrook (part) Newham, Redbridge
E13 LONDON Plaistow district: Plaistow, West Ham (part), Upton Park (part) Newham
E14 LONDON Poplar district: Poplar, Isle of Dogs, Limehouse, Canary Wharf, Blackwall, Cubitt Town Tower Hamlets
E15 LONDON Stratford district: Stratford, West Ham (part), Maryland, Leyton (part), Leytonstone (part) Temple Mills (part), Hackney Wick (part), Bow (part) Newham, Waltham Forest, Hackney, Tower Hamlets
E16 LONDON Victoria Docks district: Silvertown, North Woolwich, Canning Town, Custom House, London City Airport Newham
E17 LONDON Walthamstow district: Walthamstow, Upper Walthamstow Waltham Forest
E18 LONDON Woodford district: Woodford, South Woodford Redbridge
E77 LONDON Non-geographic postcode district (NatWest, located in E1) Tower Hamlets
E98 LONDON Non-geographic postcode district (News International, located in E1W) Tower Hamlets
:raver:
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

davids cross wrote:So when I sing "East, East, East London"

Where am I talking about....... :lol:
You are not allowed to sing it anymore. I sold it to Spurs.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2704 likes

Post by sendô »

StiffUpper wrote:Walford is a cross between Walthamstow and Stratford apparently.
Strathamstow would have been better.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2704 likes

Post by sendô »

saludo de carlitos wrote:Ok East London is fine :D, it's still East London, not North. EEEEEEEEEiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIttttttttttttttttttttttssssssssssssssssssss in the Post Code. Chingford = Oh east London is wonderful, oh east London is wonderful, N17 is full of s***e.
Oh north London....
Is full of *****....

Soon to be
Oh east London...
Is also full of *****...
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Its like the back streets of Jerusalem
Oh East London is full of skids.
ak-47

Post by ak-47 »

Oh , no , no , no . With the running track ? Get rid of that , then undecided .
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Does anyone know if the stadium plans are going to be made public tomorrow as reported in the press this week?
Last edited by paulhs1 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

ak-47 wrote:Oh , no , no , no . With the running track ? Get rid of that , then undecided .
:? Hmmmm you sing it and I'll hum along.
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Just on BBC London News that if Spuds dont get the OS they will still not be staying at White Hart Lane :think:
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

AJ wrote:Just on BBC London News that if Spuds dont get the OS they will still not be staying at White Hart Lane
Yep, Levy said it was "unviable"!
Gonna be some very unhappy spuds! :lol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

From an old map of Essex I've got, it appears that Chingford was on the border between 'Becontree Hundred' and 'Waltham Hundred'.

My birthplace, Billericay (Hospital), was in Barstable Hundred, but I grew up in Hutton, historically 'Chafford Hundred'. (Isn't that now a place in its own right, near Grays?)

As for Romford, that wasn't in a Hundred, but in 'Havering Liberty'. Figures :lol: