The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-2012 games?

Yes
57%
No
32%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 1278

Ironworx

Re: The Olympic Stadium [new poll]

Post by Ironworx »

AJ wrote:Just on BBC London News that if Spuds dont get the OS they will still not be staying at White Hart Lane
They were quoted 50M more for the new stadium at WHL with the liklihood of further increases = They can't afford it....

I have no idea why they think it's likely to cost any less eleswhere

If they don't get the OS then they may be locked into a half sized WHL permanently :D
N1Andy

Post by N1Andy »

Not to be too pedant, but I'm sure Stratford, Chingford et al were originally NE postcodes, and the E postcode is relatively recent? Though, despite what they may say, I don't think the NE postcode crossed the Leas into Tottenham (so they were always N).
East Stand Martin
Wasted on this site

Post by East Stand Martin »

There is a very simple answer to this OS bullsh*t.

I call it the Third Way.

The Spuds can't have it because they will be ****ting all over the legacy which we promised. Lord Coe is quite right about it. That smarmy little f*cker Levy can go and do one along with his friend Lord Sugar. To give the Spuds u Hate credit as well, none of 'em want to come to our manor. I live amongst 'em and I know of not one fan (if I can suspend reality to call them that) who wants to leave beigal munching land and the Cradle of Filth.

We can't have it because Levy and Saggy are right about the complete stupidity of having a running track around a football pitch. It will be a disaster. I also think that our financial solidity is highly questionable and if our owners end up footing costs in the future that is bound to impact on investment in the team. The only fans I know who want the move - and I can understand this - are those that would take a great delight in sticking two fingers up at the Lillysh*tes.

The answer is simple, the bid asessors should tell us both to get to f*ck. Keep it as a world class athletics and community venue - I have seen figures which suggest that the cost to the public purse is only going to be £5 mil a year to keep it going. I reckon with all those events that both bids say they want to put on, boxing, cricket, gigs etc could more than cover it.

ESM's Third Way - you know it makes sense.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

An anagram of West Ham United is 'The New Stadium.' That is all
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

East Stand Martin wrote:There is a very simple answer to this OS bullsh*t.

I call it the Third Way.

I think you are a few dozen pages and a handful posters too late with that suggestion mate :lol:
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

SoulCircus wrote:An anagram of West Ham United is 'The New Stadium.' That is all
& an anagram of w@nkers is: Truth: Not top? Shame!

OR

Oh, the top tantrums!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

paulhs1 wrote:Does anyone know if the stadium plans are going to be made public tomorrow as reported in the press this week?
Good point, they did say Wednesday didn't they ?
ereader
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ereader »

prophet:marginal wrote:Chingford's not what I'd describe as East End; its practically in the countryside!

The East End, like the West End, connotes a smaller area either side of the City. Tower Hamlets is traditional East End, as are parts of Hackney. Maybe now Newham is described as East End, but traditionally it wouldn't have been. It was Essex until after the war.
And barking and Dagenham? thought this was originally countryside to! overspill of T.B sufferers i heard.
hamaroid

Post by hamaroid »

I've always had a soft spot for Leyton Orient, but Hearn's outburst last week (clearly pro Sp**s and anti-West Ham) just took the biscuit, where does he get off? I know he's trying to protect his investment but we are hardly encroaching when there is only 2.4 miles from UP to OS and The O's Matchbox is 2.1 to the OS. If those distances are accurate they are closer by only 300 meters.

Just read this on the BBC wall and thought it brought up some interesting arguments:

"The stadium is not on Leyton Orient's 'manor' as you put it. The stadium is IN West Ham, not near it, close-by, or adjacent-to, but IN. The parliamentary constituency is called West Ham, and it is in that part of the Borough of Newham that was previously known as West Ham, in fact, West Ham town hall is a couple of hundred yards away. Given these facts, I'd say it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with LEYTON Orient, and it is most certainly not their 'manor'."

I liked this post. END OF! :thup:

Full article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adrianwarner ... heard.html
Ironworx

Post by Ironworx »

East Stand Martin wrote:
The answer is simple, the bid asessors should tell us both to get to f*ck. Keep it as a world class athletics and community venue - I have seen figures which suggest that the cost to the public purse is only going to be £5 mil a year to keep it going. I reckon with all those events that both bids say they want to put on, boxing, cricket, gigs etc could more than cover it.

It would make sense if it wasn't for public body cutbacks like never before. Public bodies are doing all they can to cut expenses, not take new ones on......
MEM

Post by MEM »

hamaroid wrote:I've always had a soft spot for Leyton Orient, but Hearn's outburst last week (clearly pro Sp**s and anti-West Ham) just took the biscuit, where does he get off? I know he's trying to protect his investment but we are hardly encroaching when there is only 2.4 miles from UP to OS and The O's Matchbox is 2.1 to the OS. If those distances are accurate they are closer by only 300 meters.

Just read this on the BBC wall and thought it brought up some interesting arguments:

"The stadium is not on Leyton Orient's 'manor' as you put it. The stadium is IN West Ham, not near it, close-by, or adjacent-to, but IN. The parliamentary constituency is called West Ham, and it is in that part of the Borough of Newham that was previously known as West Ham, in fact, West Ham town hall is a couple of hundred yards away. Given these facts, I'd say it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with LEYTON Orient, and it is most certainly not their 'manor'."

I liked this post. END OF! :thup:

Full article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adrianwarner ... heard.html

And the address of the legacy company is :

29 - 35
West Ham Lane
Stratford
E15 4PH
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

I'm quite an athletics fan and travel around the country attending the various meets most years.

What makes me laugh the most about all this is that Coe etc think they can sell out 25k for athletics meets.

Maybe the Olympics will inspire everyone to go for one season but after that, it will be back to the status quo.

The biggest annual athletics event in this country is the Norwich Union Grand Prix at Crystal Palace and unless Usain Bolt shows up they generally get about 12-14k each day (although it used to be just one day which I preferred incidentally)

Forget about it being an athletics venue, revamp Crystal Palace if needs be becasue the Olympic stadium will look ***** when 3k turn up there for the 3 AAA's in 2013.

If they bear this in mind, we can f*** the running track right off. :thup:
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Latest from Ladbrokes:

Who will win the bid to take over the Olympic Stadium?

West Ham to win the bid to take over the Olympic Stadium 11/10
Tottenham to win the bid to take over the Olympic Stadium 3/1
A Joint Bid to win the bid to take over the Olympic Stadium 40/1
Neither to win the bid to take over the Olympic Stadium 11/8
hamaroid

Post by hamaroid »

West Ham in pole position for Olympic Stadium by chief political correspondent, Nicholas Cecil

I know its the Evening Standard but still an article none the less...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard- ... stadium.do
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Well that's putting your money where your mouth is:
But doubts remain over the longer- term viability of the club's financial plan, especially if they are relegated from the Premier League. Accountants are understood to have been called in to examine this issue. Hammers insiders insisted today, though, that the club's co-owners David Sullivan and David Gold have put a personal guarantee in place to cover any shortfall in costs even if the worst happens.
Last edited by Hammer110 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

I recentley checked where the first 200 people to sign the paper petition from outside the ground lived. Off the top of my head
East London 19
Essex ( inside m25 ) 41
Essex ( outside m25 ) 38
Foriegn 6
South London 11
West London 1
North London 9
The rest never put a town or postcode or put their email adress
Also about 10 from the rest of uk . Can't find notebook for definate numbers but top 4 and west london were exact and more south of river than north.
And no I didn't know any of them or fill it in myself and if people want to check they can see it Sunday outside the main gates I have no objections
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Turned them to percentages hope you don't mind.

East London 10%
Essex (inside M25) 21%
Essex (outside M25) 19%
Overseas 3%
South London 6%
West London 1%
North London 5%
Unknown 38%

Interesting would have expected the "local" fans to be a higher percentage, could be they are in the unknowns or slight skewing caused by these being the earlier fans to arrive and "locals" arrive later????
Last edited by Hammer110 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamaroid

Post by hamaroid »

mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Hammer110 wrote:Turned them to percentages hope you don't mind.

East London 10%
Essex (inside M25) 21%
Essex (outside M25) 19%
Overseas 3%
South London 6%
West London 1%
North London 5%
Unknown 38%

Interesting would have expected the "local" fans to be a higher percentage, could be they are in the unknowns or slight skewing caused by these being the earlier fans to arrive and "locals" arrive later????
To be honest I was surprised at the results dissapointed with the east London amount considering this covered all east London post codes
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

mywhufc wrote:To be honest I was surprised at the results dissapointed with the east London amount considering this covered all east London post codes
Could be all sorts of reasons, it may be as I said the timing, the location, it may be the "local" support just didn't sign the petition or it could be right and our support is not as great as we think it is in our traditional home.