So own up then, who was consulted ?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Re: So own up then, who was consulted ?

Post by the pink palermo »

Edit .
Last edited by the pink palermo on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4958 likes

Post by -DL- »

My local co-op are moving. I use them a good few times a day, through wind, rain and snow. Yet they have not consulted me. They are still moving to a nice shiny new store not too far away. I want them to stay in the same old shop they have stayed for years. Have some good memories, of my hundreds of loaves of bread, their cream cakes and offers on Stella. Back in the day, there was an amazing bit of talent behind the till. Wasn't the same after she left, mind. But why did they not consult me first? Why can't I have my say? Is it because at the end of the day, all I am is a customer, that pays my money for the goods they offer? Maybe like all we are is customers of West Ham United, and we pay our money to buy a ticket for the services they provide,like a football team?

We chose to be customers of West Ham, West Ham is a business. Really, what RIGHT do we actually have to be consultated on anything?

Oh, I wasn't consulted by west Ham either :(
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Edit .
Last edited by the pink palermo on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by JonG86 »

Out of the 600'000 fans West Ham have (quoted by West Ham), 2 fans from KUMB is probably over representation of this forum (which represents lower than 0.001% if my maths on Friday morning is any good).

So we are already over represented :raver:

all of the above is based on very tired maths, please, if incorrect feel free to figure it out yourself
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

Fionn wrote:I'm aware that they stated they'd consult with fans. Which they obviously have.

At the same time, why would they even bother? It's no way to run a business and in particular with regard to such a massive decision.

I hate the belittling of the West Ham support by some but at the same time you'd have to question the business acumen of your average West Ham fan. Could they see the long term benefits to an organisation such a move would encapsulate? Unlikely.

I'd have no real gripe with them if they didn't consult fans to be honest.
Exactly.

The one and only question they could put to us is 'What suggestions could you make to transform the business of West Ham Utd?'

Most peoples answers would be a smoking area, better burgers, beer that doesn't taste like piss and cheaper tickets. Not exactly the answers the owners of a multi million pound business are going to bother about.

Not one person who bleeds claret and blue can give a better alternative to going to Stratford within or less than it's going to cost to go there, and increase customer base and revenue. In a business sense, that's the bottom line.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1726 likes
Total likes: 1480 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Hammer110 wrote:
Call me pedantic but I don't think that says they have consulted the fans at all it's very cleverly worded, spot the difference!
Hammer110, David Sullivan has made it quite clear in the evening standard and the website article taht West Ham fans have been consulted.

TPP.....No
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 3415 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

JonG86 wrote:Out of the 600'000 fans West Ham have...
A club's average supporter base is usually four to five times average home gate.

Dave: I think we're gonna need a bigger stadium...
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Fionn wrote:I'm aware that they stated they'd consult with fans. Which they obviously have.

At the same time, why would they even bother? It's no way to run a business and in particular with regard to such a massive decision.

I hate the belittling of the West Ham support by some but at the same time you'd have to question the business acumen of your average West Ham fan. Could they see the long term benefits to an organisation such a move would encapsulate? Unlikely.

^^^ Is the right answer :thup:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Ms Legacy in yesterdays Bun article form 16 August 2014

"We have spent the last three years consulting with supporters and involving them in what you see today — a stunning Olympic Stadium fit for purpose. We have kept our promises. "

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... adium.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably start the consultations after the official announcement today
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

So I guess it all boils down to how you define 'consulted' . . . No doubt G&S have hired their team of spin doctors and PR consultants to give us an Orwellian re-definition of the word that is consistent with their plans to move to the OS . . .
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Fionn, I would question your business acumen if you think businesses don't consult their customers, they may not do it in the way most people on here would want it but they certainly do and I have seen no evidence to suggest they have apart from some alleged Market research into growth potential. Now untill we sign the lease in depth consultation is rather pointless over what is largely at this point a business decision, however that shouldn't preclude engagement with the fans and intial direct consultation to guage feelings toward the move etc And how hard would it have been to do 25,000+ turn up on their doorstep every other week, 10s of thousands more are on the database, how much effort would it have taken to send an email with a link to a survey page? Even if only 20% of you customers don't want what you are offering, you need to know why, as it's far easier to keep existing customers than gain new ones.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2634 likes
Total likes: 1176 likes

Post by EvilC »

I spoke to Ian Tomkins once, I don't know whether that counts.
Richard WHUFC

Post by Richard WHUFC »

Many clubs have genuinely consulted supporters taken their views on board and changed plans/designs. The reason West Ham haven't done this is because they already know what supporters think, that, supporters don't want to be watching West Ham from behind a running track in a stadium not even designed for football let alone the unique identity of West Ham United. Obviously they aren't interested in hearing this as it screws with their ideas, from a cold hard business point of view it's a no brainer.

Let's be clear they have said they have consulted with fans, they pledged to listen to fans, they stated they are just presiding over west ham and the club truly belongs to the supporters, pro or anti the move they are liars. I now fully expect them to go on a charm offensive with supporters tell us how much they value our opinions but the horse has bolted and we can now look forward to Deciding on whether we wish to see banners of Tony Cottee or Paolo Di Canio there.

West Ham should be trying to rebuild it's unique identity back-up. From a purely business point of view, these values are universal and would appeal worldwide (a team with style that play good football, promoting youth and developing a homegrown team, an intimate and somewhat intimidating passionate atmosphere).

We will become a generic soulless club in that bowl. I hope I'm wrong.
hammer_lad

Post by hammer_lad »

but why would the average football fan have business acumen? the majority of us are just working blokes who enjoy going to the football on a saturday to let our hair down. we should be consulted on the basis that if it wasnt for these average blokes going to the football, there would be no "business". I don't need a degree in a business management to know that moving us to a stadium that nobody wants, with a view that nobody wants is good business sense.
Richard WHUFC

Post by Richard WHUFC »

Oh forgot to say..... No.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Edit .
Last edited by the pink palermo on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Doc H Ball wrote:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... adium.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an absolute masterpiece....
****ing hell ! :shock:

Got to be about the most cringeworthy pice of **** I have ever read.
beckton

Post by beckton »

the pink palermo wrote: Still, 2.5

So they have consulted with fans then.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

I think it's disgusting that Ms Brady did not jet out to Spain to consult me.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

beckton wrote:
So they have consulted with fans then.
Personally I think he is skewing the figures, it's more like 2.5 have consulted the club rather than been consulted.