Olympic Stadium picture thread

All you need to know about West Ham United FC's potential move to Stratford.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Olympic Stadium picture thread

Postby upton girlie on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 pm

mywhufc wrote:That pic is taken from the side, looks about halfway back west upper, fans will be sitting there, not everyone wil want to sit in the tempory seating on the track, that's if they plan that and from what I saw there wasn't any down the side. So it's not a **** argument as you put it. I sit in the corner of trev upper by the east, season ticket holder of years n years last 7 there, season ticket holders do sit in the corners.
It's not just about the inside though for many, the outside will be sterile as much as inside

Wrong.
That photo is taken from the edge of the Band 1 seating area in the Alpari upper. See, the photo even distorted your mind.

I will take a picture when I'm in the Olympic Stand, for comparison, once I have done a little calculation of distances.

As for your comments about the sterilility of the outside of the stadium, that's just a matter of the right design for the wraps that will be all around the OS.
With the right input from fans, good designers and a hefty measure of common sense and respect, I think the outside of the stadium could look cracking. :thup:
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery

Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 pm

MD_HM wrote:No current or future season ticket holder will never have to sit in one of those seats though, unless we suddenly break into the champions league.

Same way I doubt none of the top back row corner seats in the west or east now are season ticket holders.

It's a **** arguement... That photo is a superb example of the scaremongering been done on here as there is a lack of plans and fans that have been to the OS.

Forget the photo's .

The entire Boleyn can fit inside the OS .

That's not scaremongering, it's a fact . ,

Another fact is I have been inside the OS and can confirm we will be much further away than we currently are .Feel free to keep waiting for "the plans" , but you're in for a whole lot of heartache .

I look forward to your posts in 3 years time saying "it's not that bad, why won't fans come along~" ..............
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby hadleighhammer on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:01 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Forget the photo's .

The entire Boleyn can fit inside the OS .

That's not scaremongering, it's a fact . ,

Another fact is I have been inside the OS and can confirm we will be much further away than we currently are .Feel free to keep waiting for "the plans" , but you're in for a whole lot of heartache .

I look forward to your posts in 3 years time saying "it's not that bad, why won't fans come along~" ..............

My current seat (back row of the Chav corner) would be on Green Street if you took the OS and put it on the BG site.
hadleighhammer

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby MD_HM on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 pm

I sit in the West lower, when we get to Wembley the seat I get will probably be a lot further away than my seat at UP.

Will it be a **** view? No
Will it affect my enjoyment? No
Will it affect the atmosphere? No
Is it further away than seat at UP? Yes

When we won the playoff final in Cardiff was in the middle tier, don't remember any complaints about the view then either.

I never said you won't be further away than you are now, just that you will have a decent view if you have a season ticket now.

I have sat near the back of the top tier at Wembley and it's not a bad view either
MD_HM

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Cardiff, Wembley, OS and the Boleyn .

Been in all of them , and by far and away the worst view is the OS .The rake of the stands is the issue .

I may have mentioned this before.....

Also , in terms of the "plans" :

Why not reveal the exact height Sullivans seat is above pitch level at the Boleyn and if you dropped immediately downwards, the distance from the bottom of the drop to the centre circle .That would allow all of us to draw a proportional drawing of a triangle .

Then, tell us where his seat is proposed to be in the OS, and we can draw another triangle ...........

I think it's reasonable to assume that none of us will have a better view than him , so lets visualise his view in 3 years comparedf with now .

Two sets of numbers, and the argument is put to bed forever .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby MD_HM on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:32 pm

I am going to the OS on Saturday so I'll see soon enough...
MD_HM

Postby Pop Robson on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:26 pm

MD_HM wrote:I am going to the OS on Saturday so I'll see soon enough...

We got day tickets, so look forward to comparing photos and viewing distances :wink:

Hope it don't rain though
Pop Robson

Postby Pop Robson on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Hammerhead Hammerhead give us a wave !!!

Pop Robson

Postby Denbighammer on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:35 pm

This citing the Millenium stadium as an example I would ask them to consider the rake of the stands. Having been at the very back row for the 06' CUp final I can confirm its a bloody steep climb but the view once there was pretty good considering it sits 70,000.
Denbighammer

Postby Whitters on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:12 pm

OK, its not the OS, but here are a few examples of photos I took at oval shaped stadiums with running track issues

Niigata, Japan (note that this is the view along the side of the pitch, not behind, and so you can get a feel of how far the pitch is from the stands in the 'premium' seats):

Oita, Japan:

Whitters

Postby MD_HM on Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Sat in the upper tier of the Olympic Stadium as we speak, walked up to very last row and views are fine.

Photos make it look a lot further away than reality.

However I am at the side not behind the goal.

As a current season ticket holder I would have a better seat than the one I am in today so have no problem with views.

BUT.... The outside of the stadium and cosmetics are currently a pile of ****.

Biggest concern would be branding, colours and decent wrap to make it feel like home.

Be interested to see the plans in a couple of weeks to see what they plan to improve.

As for atmosphere.... Interesting as isn't a problem here tonight, think that's up to us...
MD_HM

Postby mywhufc on Sat May 05, 2012 8:05 pm

MD_HM wrote:Sat in the upper tier of the Olympic Stadium as we speak, walked up to very last row and views are fine.

As a current season ticket holder I would have a better seat than the one I am in today so have no problem with views.

Biggest concern would be branding, colours and decent wrap to make it feel like home.

Be interested to see the plans in a couple of weeks to see what they plan to improve.

As for atmosphere.... Interesting as isn't a problem here tonight, think that's up to us...

View may be fine, but your still looking over a running track, as will the west ham fans who sit upstairs if we take the stadium.
mywhufc

Postby Mr_Andersonn on Sat May 05, 2012 9:12 pm

MD_HM wrote:Sat in the upper tier of the Olympic Stadium as we speak, walked up to very last row and views are fine.

Put a complete roof on the stadium, additional corporate boxes, retractable seating, branded wrap, how would that appeal ???
Mr_Andersonn

Postby HammerMan2004 on Fri May 11, 2012 1:22 pm

HammerMan2004

Postby Antwerp_Lad on Tue May 15, 2012 10:22 am

That last picture is horrible, I've been to many Olympic Stadiums (Rome, Berlin, Barcelona,...) but none of them have a pitch that is even remotely as far as this one.
Antwerp_Lad

Postby Tyneside on Sun May 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Would you be that far from the action if you moved there after the games? Awful if you ask me, fans will be isolated from the field of play. Atmosphere will be awful, not to mention the view!
Tyneside

Postby Doc H Ball on Sun May 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Tyneside wrote:Would you be that far from the action if you moved there after the games? Awful if you ask me, fans will be isolated from the field of play. Atmosphere will be awful, not to mention the view!

It's taken with a fish eye lens. No photo ever taken of the OS does it justice - it is in some strange visual parallel universe.

By the way, as an outsider, what do you think most other fans make of our attempts to secure the OS?
Doc H Ball

Postby IronMaiden123 on Mon May 28, 2012 12:29 am

Doc H Ball wrote:It's taken with a fish eye lens. No photo ever taken of the OS does it justice - it is in some strange visual parallel universe.

By the way, as an outsider, what do you think most other fans make of our attempts to secure the OS?

Having sat not far from where that picture was taken I can tell you that it gives as fair an impression of the distance as you are likely to get from an ordinary digital camera. Binoculars will be essential if such seats are ever occupied for football.
IronMaiden123

Postby loopyludo on Tue May 29, 2012 5:21 pm

This was my view at Wembley, one seat in front of the back row, the view was fine for watching the match, although the atmosphere might have contributed to my enjoyment. Looking at the people they seem to be about the same size as the previous one at the OS, however it gives the impression that I was much closer to the action than I can expect as the OS. This was taken with the camera on my phone.
loopyludo

Postby Mike420 on Tue May 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Is the grass pitch in the OS a full size football pitch and if so is it the biggest we can have it?
Mike420

Location: self-appointed 'ITK' auditor & CFC credit rating analyst

PreviousNext

Return to The Olympic Stadium