Olympic Stadium picture thread

All you need to know about West Ham United FC's potential move to Stratford.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Olympic Stadium picture thread

Postby Matt on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:57 pm

But initially there was to be no football there afterwards -- 3-4 years ago all the talk was that it would be athletics only as that it what we'd promised. That has shifted slowly as reality settled in. The recommendation today actually represents a significant compromise from Coe, etc.'s original position. Had they planned for this kind of temporary seating we would have risked not winning the Olympics bid.

Now, we don't know what West Ham's bid actually says and who's to say this isn't part of what they want to do? I know it would be difficult, but I suspect there is some kind of temporary seating plan.
Matt

Postby Brother_Bear on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:59 pm

saludo de carlitos wrote:Webcam, I think it looks amazing and will only get more spectacular.

http://www.london2012.com/webcams/olymp ... mera-2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need to leave your nice little land of fluffy bunnies and pretty flowers and come back to the real world!!!

Headbanger
Brother_Bear

Postby Brother_Bear on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Matt wrote:But initially there was to be no football there afterwards -- 3-4 years ago all the talk was that it would be athletics only as that it what we'd promised. That has shifted slowly as reality settled in. The recommendation today actually represents a significant compromise from Coe, etc.'s original position. Had they planned for this kind of temporary seating we would have risked not winning the Olympics bid.

Now, we don't know what West Ham's bid actually says and who's to say this isn't part of what they want to do? I know it would be difficult, but I suspect there is some kind of temporary seating plan.

Not so sure about that fella..
Brother_Bear

Postby Matt on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Suspect, hope... pray...

Overall I don't think it's TOO awful. Maybe we'll just have a really ****ing big pitch.
Matt

Postby LeOir on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Definately going to need a load more ball boys, cant see Greeno wanting to wak that far! :D
LeOir

Location: Over here......no left a bit now down yep thats got it

Postby theflafson on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 pm

For sure they will do something like a retractable seating, that's a no brainer.
Here in Toronto we have 2 big stadiums which are being used for EVERYTHING.
They have Hockey, NBA, NFL, Soccer, live concerts and even monster trucks events. The whole ground and half the seating is retractable.
theflafson

Postby Matt on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:06 pm

Maybe that's part of the plan. As a fan you can buy a ball boy ticket for £200. They sell 40 of those per match. Nice new revenue stream (~£160k per season), and some sad twats like me are probably sad enough to buy them once in a while.
Matt

Postby Brother_Bear on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:07 pm

theflafson wrote:For sure they will do something like a retractable seating, that's a no brainer.
Here in Toronto we have 2 big stadiums which are being used for EVERYTHING.
They have Hockey, NBA, NFL, Soccer, live concerts and even monster trucks events. The whole ground and half the seating is retractable.

So what about the people sitting in the seats behind the retractable seating? They wont see anything as they are ground level?
Brother_Bear

Postby Xander on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:08 pm

How the f*ck are we going to fill that? :lol:
Xander

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:11 pm

LeOir wrote:Definately going to need a load more ball boys, cant see Greeno wanting to walk that far! :D

What, the back of his net?
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby hammer on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:18 pm

great pics :thup:
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Postby Paddy O'Hammer on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Conspiracy I hear them say - conspiracy!!

Paddy O'Hammer

Postby djclipz on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Matt wrote:Suspect, hope... pray...

Overall I don't think it's TOO awful. Maybe we'll just have a really f***ing big pitch.

dunno about that, we lack width in our team as it is. Players wouldn't be any closer to us
djclipz

Postby theflafson on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Brother_Bear wrote:
So what about the people sitting in the seats behind the retractable seating? They wont see anything as they are ground level?

Besides the fact that they have Ice tiles below the ground that they uncover for hockey, i have no idea how they do it.

Fact it, no matter what kind of event you are going to, you are always close to the ground level and there is no gap in between.
theflafson

Postby SL on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:57 pm

saludo de carlitos wrote:Webcam, I think it looks amazing and will only get more spectacular.

http://www.london2012.com/webcams/olymp ... mera-2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If those markings represent the correct location of the running track then the sand area in the middle is pretty much the size of a football pitch.

I also didnt realise just how far away the first row of seats was from the outside lane of the track, let alone from the pitch.
Last edited by SL on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SL

Postby the pink palermo on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 pm

SL wrote:I also didnt realise just how far away the first row of seats was from the outside lamne of the track, let alone from the pitch.

The first of what will be thousands of posts on this .

Too late .Sold (out) as seen .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Kent Bubble Blower on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 pm

SL wrote:If those markings represent the correct location of the running track then the sand area in the middle is pretty much the size of a football pitch.

No, it's not. We've had this discussion before. The sanded area in the middle of the stadium is the grassed area for the field events and not as big as a full sized football pitch.
Kent Bubble Blower

Postby HammerMan2004 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm

SL wrote:If those markings represent the correct location of the running track then the sand area in the middle is pretty much the size of a football pitch

It's really not the size of a football pitch...
HammerMan2004

Postby QuintonNimoy on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm

SL wrote:If those markings represent the correct location of the running track then the sand area in the middle is pretty much the size of a football pitch.

I think there's scope within the pitch size regulations for it to extend quite far over where the track is currently going to be in both directions, particularly into the curved ends. I can't remember the exact figures but there should definitely be some overlap.
QuintonNimoy

Postby SL on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Kent Bubble Blower wrote:No, it's not. We've had this discussion before. The sanded area in the middle of the stadium is the grassed area for the field events and not as big as a full sized football pitch.

As discussed on the other thread, the boundaries of a football pitch always fit within a running track. The pitch never overlaps the running track at any stadium that has a track.

Therefore, if those markings are representative of where the track will be, the sand area is very similar to the size of a football pitch.
SL

PreviousNext

Return to The Olympic Stadium