Olympic Stadium picture thread

All you need to know about West Ham United FC's potential move to Stratford.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Olympic Stadium picture thread

Postby WHU_Del on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:26 pm

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/463 ... 4c01_b.jpg
I assume the corporate boxes will be going here?
WHU_Del

Postby HammerMan2004 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:35 pm

It would seem so. It'll be interesting how they seperate those boxes from the plebs in front of them....
HammerMan2004

Postby Matt on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:43 pm

I think a big, under-stated point is that there will be a TON more executive boxes, AND that our stadium will be a venue that the City will finally be willing to splash cash to take clients to. Many times in the past Romford's banged on about the fine citizens (*****) of Canary Wharf being underexploited for sponsorship, but in my view they would never come to Upton Park versus taking clients to Stamford Bridge purely based on the relative quality of facilities on offer. Now we'll have a home that is suitable for high-end client entertainment (my company has looked at hospitality for the Olympics; the standards are high and it'll bring in a fair bit of cash). Match day income has the potential to go up considerably.

And the prawn sandiwches will subsidize the cheaper seats. Fine by me.
Matt

Postby NC Hammers on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 pm

I agree. You gotta have the prawn sandwich brigade to subsidize your team.
NC Hammers

Postby I am Legend on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 pm

wrong thread.
I am Legend

Postby delbert on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Philosophical Dan wrote:
Also, really highlghts just how far away the pitch will be from the seats.

I really hope they clear up the rodent problem before we move in, you can clearly see a mouse near the right hand corner.........
delbert

Postby Jon on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Can't stand this inverse snobbery about city types.

Long ago I remember 'city types' come to the BG in their suits for a 730 kick off (remember those??). They had no time to change from the office.

What exactly is the problem?
Jon

Postby comeonyouirons on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:18 pm

HammerMan2004 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSP8MEosiOQ&feature=player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rubbish atmosphere at the Stadio Olimpico :thup:

Exactly, it will be what the fans make it.

People say about the seats in grounds ruined the atmosphere. Complete rubbish. Back in the 1980's our boys always just to go in the seats rather than stand and the atmosphere was electric. The atmosphere at the OS will be what we make.

Rejoice at the news we are on our way to the OS.

West Ham 1 Spurs 0!

And guess what Spurs are running scared of how we might grow now, hence all their reactions today!

Great move by our board.

COYI!
comeonyouirons

Location: On the march with Gold & Sullivan to the Olympic Stadium...

Postby frankiemac on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:23 pm

HammerMan2004 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSP8MEosiOQ&feature=player_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rubbish atmosphere at the Stadio Olimpico :thup:

The away fans always make a big effort
frankiemac

Postby KierZ on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 pm

how will the players hear my boo's

:(
KierZ

Postby WCpete on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:12 pm

djclipz wrote:Has anyone actually watched a football game in a stadium with a track? What do you think..

I haven't had the privilege... yet.

I have and it sucks. Saw Inter at Roma, big match with poor atmosphere. But it wasn't for the lack of trying. Also, the pitch was miles away. I've also been to many matches in Brazil in Sao Paolo and Rio in the 70's, specifically at Morumbi, Maracana and Pacembu. I think they all have tracks now, but they used to have moats. Regardless, the fans were always a great distance from the pitch, and it was very difficult to follow a match. Atmosphere wasn't so much of a problem because the crowds were in the 90K+ range back then, and they were insane. One of the reasons the pitches were so far from the stands was because the fans liked to shoot rockets at the players, particularly when taking corners. Would have hated to be a keeper back there and then. Anyhow, point is the track or space made for very poor football viewing.
WCpete

Postby WCpete on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 pm

If you compare the top sketch from this link to this photo, it looks to me like the spectators will be quite far from the pitch. The sketch essentially has the pitch inside of the track. (links originally posted elsewhere on this thread by others)
http://beard.standard.co.uk/2010/03/tight-fit-for-football-at-the-olympic-stadium.html
http://www.london2012.com/webcams/olympic-stadium-camera-2.php

For the record, I'm for West Ham moving to a larger stadium. I simply hate the design of this one. It's just a hideous and inflexible design. Whether West HAm were to move there or not, I just simply do not like this stadium. For West Ham, this one would be the ideal for me: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Signal_Iduna_Park_Panorama.jpg

Anyhow, that's the last I'll complain about the matter. It is what it is, ergo, life goes on.
WCpete

Postby Welling on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:33 pm

My own personal opinion is that they should definately have retractable seating behind both goals at the very least. Hopefully along each side as well. To achieve this they could remove the first 10 or so rows of the lower tier and put in someting like this with a lower rake angle to cover the running track.

or
or

It is possible
:think:
Welling

Postby barlimanrob on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Now this has taken me a while to produce, I've done the best I can (sans graphic tablet). I think it's also worth bearing in mind that the 'stadium blueprint part' only shows the lower tier of the OS (this is an assumption. It's what it looks like to me).

I'll be posting this in the OS thread as well. Looks like we will be quite a long away from the action.
barlimanrob

Postby [HH] on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:53 pm

The furthest seats will be approximately quarter of a kilometre away from the other end of the football pitch post-conversion. They'll sell them off for pittance as nobody will want to sit there, and then charge through the nose for a far worse seat in terms of proximity to the action than what's on offer now.

Still, at least it's 10 yards closer than Wembley. :?

[HH]
In the closet

Postby WCpete on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:54 pm

barlimanrob wrote:Now this has taken me a while to produce, I've done the best I can (sans graphic tablet). I think it's also worth bearing in mind that the 'stadium blueprint part' only shows the lower tier of the OS (this is an assumption. It's what it looks like to me).

I like it, so essentially comparing it to the Boleyn the view from the flats behind the East Stand is what it the view will be in the OS.
WCpete

Postby barlimanrob on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:56 pm

WCpete wrote:I like it, so essentially the view from the flats behind the East Stand is what it will be in the OS.

That will be low down to the ground as well.
barlimanrob

Postby duncanio on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 pm

SL wrote:
If those markings represent the correct location of the running track then the sand area in the middle is pretty much the size of a football pitch.

Gold /Sullivan cant remember which said that the pitch will overlap the track a bit.
duncanio

Postby Ben on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:33 pm

would the pitch fit the other way? so the seats are right up close behind the goals
then some kind of temp stands on the sides maybe :?
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby HarrowInnHammer on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:43 pm

And people think the pitch will be the same distance as the East Stand from the pitch :|
HarrowInnHammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Olympic Stadium