Olympic Stadium picture thread

All you need to know about West Ham United FC's potential move to Stratford.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Olympic Stadium picture thread

Postby Ben on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 pm

HarrowInnHammer wrote:And people think the pitch will be the same distance as the East Stand from the pitch

it seems that the closest seat at the OS is just about the same as the furthest at the BG :(

keep the pics coming, this is a great thread to see and discuss these things and not have it lost in the other huge thread
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby Pop Robson on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 pm

HarrowInnHammer wrote:And people think the pitch will be the same distance as the East Stand from the pitch :|

You can fit 2 running tracks between the pitch and the East Stand easily :wink
Pop Robson

Postby Beatle Hammer on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:55 pm

It says here that we plan to install retractable seating

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... ntact.html
Beatle Hammer

Postby w4hammer on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:27 am

you know, the more i think/look at it....after a great trip to blackpool last week, where we were "side on"....maybe this signifies the "end" of ends...we concenrate the build effort on getting the stand close the pitch each side, and get 40K of west ham there...- one end we can give to the away fans..the other end tourists!

:crest:
w4hammer

Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham

Postby GideaParkHammer on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:31 am

w4hammer wrote:you know, the more i think/look at it....after a great trip to blackpool last week, where we were "side on"....maybe this signifies the "end" of ends...we concenrate the build effort on getting the stand close the pitch each side, and get 40K of west ham there...- one end we can give to the away fans..the other end tourists!

:crest:

Fair point. We have never really been an "Ends" team. The great thing about the OLD Boleyn was that all four sides scared the **** out of the opposition, whether it was the North Bank, West Side boys, South Bank or Chicken Run.
GideaParkHammer

Postby DDRS on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:07 am

Just want to put this idea out there & see what others think; It's 2011 now & West Ham move into the OS in 20014/15 season. Is there any way possible that G&S have some plan to have a purpose built West Ham stadium by 2020/21... basically making the OS a transitional stadium that brings in alot of money coupled with the sale of Upton Park that in turn sets us up for the REAL BIG MOVE they are planning in a decades time?? This is easily the most ridiculous thing I have ever posted but in a weird kind of way- nothing surprises me with these owners! be honest but not brutal with your replies... haha!
DDRS

Postby HammerMan2004 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:09 am

I'll be honest DDRS. I think that has absolutely sod all to do with pictures of the Olympic Stadium :lol:
HammerMan2004

Postby GideaParkHammer on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:11 am

Only if we can get the Baroness Ford to forget about the remaining 190 years of the lease
GideaParkHammer

Postby Mike420 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:12 am

and move away from the best or second best behind kings cross? connected station in the UK? Would be illogical. I've said from day one the location is the best part about it.
Mike420

Location: self-appointed 'ITK' auditor & CFC credit rating analyst

Postby Boleyn Bound on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:55 am

Olympic Stadium? Not much we can do or say that will make any difference (never has been) - past, present or future.

Let's hope Tottenham F*ckspur try and take the government to court and end up going into administration.
That really would be a silver lining.......

A little off topic I know...... but I like to dream :|
Boleyn Bound

Postby smfc on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:56 am

Matt wrote:I think a big, under-stated point is that there will be a TON more executive boxes, AND that our stadium will be a venue that the City will finally be willing to splash cash to take clients to. Many times in the past Romford's banged on about the fine citizens (c***s) of Canary Wharf being underexploited for sponsorship, but in my view they would never come to Upton Park versus taking clients to Stamford Bridge purely based on the relative quality of facilities on offer. Now we'll have a home that is suitable for high-end client entertainment (my company has looked at hospitality for the Olympics; the standards are high and it'll bring in a fair bit of cash). Match day income has the potential to go up considerably.

And the prawn sandiwches will subsidize the cheaper seats. Fine by me.

You forget the "draw" for the coporate people is not how close it is or how easy to get to, or even the standard of football played, but the names they will go to see. Even ****ers who don't like football know Rooney, Gerrard, Drogba, etc. The facilities at our current ground (especially recently) are pretty good but ultimately people that don't support West Ham aren't that turned on by coming to see Boa Morte Cole and Tompkins. Versus Wigan on a Tuesday night.
smfc

Postby DDRS on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:00 am

Hammersman2004, GideaParkHammer & Mike420... Thank You !

Sorry about a post with no OS pics, i think i got carried away after looking & reading about the thing all day...

My only real point to add is that after looking at many of the pictures on this thread, there seems to be a giant shoe horn being built very near the stadium...

Good Night !
DDRS

Postby Bootaaay on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:14 am

Image Image
Bootaaay

Postby Tits_out_Huddlestone on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:18 am

LeOir wrote:Image

Stade De France - Honestly how much thought would this have taken.

Cram & Ovett would have known this!!!!!

That is Etihad Stadium in Melbourne. Aussie rules oval.

Been there for a-league to watch Melbourne Victory games (Kevin Muscats the captain :P ) with the seats retracted in as pictured and as normal and the atmosphere I must say was better with the seats retracted but it was only a one off so it was a novelty for most people there that night.

To retract the seats forward and back everytime costs 15k. The seats have to be retracted back to its originals position as the turf underneath dies if left in its retracted forward position.

The atmosphere and view is still very good at Etihad despite having to sit around an football/cricket oval. And this a average of 20k fans in a 55k capacity oval stadium we are taking about who are generating a great atmosphere. We do have singing areas though. Im sure 40k+ West Ham fans with a few designated singing areas can genereate a fanstastic atmosphere.
Tits_out_Huddlestone

Postby screech on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:34 am

Small prediction is that the first section of seats all around the stadium ( the so called pitch side) will be taken out and we will have retractable seating put in place like the picture above as after the first section of seats there seems to be a decent amount of height to have seating that will stagger all the way down giving each row a better view than the one in front,
Making the stadium look like the picture that west ham released the other day where it actually looked like a football stadium
Minus the running track.
How would the media and spuds react to this? I.e west ham have left the running track but they have also made it work for them.
I'll tell you what Alan sugar you archive this comment you fat mug whilst I'm blowing bubbles in the OS whilst ramming " I told you so" down for fat throat mug
screech

Postby SL on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:22 am

'64 '75 '80 wrote:Have a look through this slideshow:
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/West-Ham-at-the-Olympic-Stadium-Top-10-football-stadiums-with-running-tracks-picture-special-article695083.html
Can't be sure on my small screen, but the Kiev one seems to cover the straights as does Hampden, the Rome Stadio Olimpico definitely does.

:?

Not a single one of those pictures shows the boundary lines of the pitch overlapping the track.

Some of them have turf, astro turf or some kind of apron around the pitch which overlaps the track but not a single one of them shows the actual pitch itself overlapping the track.
SL

Postby frankiemac on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:32 am

The pitch cannot overlap the track

With the layers of sand, soil, turf...not to mention all the undersoil heating stuff....how deep is the pitch?

You can't just lay that over the track...especially as running clubs are supposed to be using these facilities every other day.

On the official site, Sullivan says they will be covering the track so it cannot be seen...nothing more..
Last edited by frankiemac on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
frankiemac

Postby SL on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:40 am

frankiemac wrote:The pitch cannot overlap the track

With the layers of sand, soil, turf...not to mention all the undersoil stuff...how deep is the pitch?

You can't just lay that over the track...especially as running clubs are supposed to be using these facilities every other day.

On the official site, Sullivan says they will be covering the track so it cannot be seen...nothing more..

Exactly.

Which means that if the track markings on this webcam image are a correct indication of where the track will be then the sand area in the middle is pretty much the size of a football pitch

http://www.london2012.com/webcams/olympic-stadium-camera-2.php
SL

Postby frankiemac on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:56 am

Also, just behind that area there are going to be 2 sodding great big sandpits that athletics clubs will be using daily

....you can't cover those, so the pitch won't be any bigger

Another quick point...at the athletics events will they be doing javelin, hammer throw, shot put? That's going to be good for the pitch!
frankiemac

Postby SL on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:00 am

frankiemac wrote:Also, just behind that area there are going to be 2 sodding great big sandpits that athletics clubs will be using daily

....you can't cover those, so the pitch won't be any bigger

Another quick point...at the athletics events will they be doing javelin, hammer throw, shot put? That's going to be good for the pitch!

Plus instead of the pitch being allowed to repair itself in the summer, it will have cricketers running around on it
SL

PreviousNext

Return to The Olympic Stadium