Olympic Stadium picture thread

All you need to know about West Ham United FC's potential move to Stratford.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Olympic Stadium picture thread

Postby gavrosh on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:19 pm

I was there yesterday for the Gold Challenge test event. Its certainly a much better view from the bottom of the upper tier than I expected, and even from the very top, the view is quite good. The lower tier is the only problem really - if they can do a job on bringing it close to the pitch, I think few (apart from those who simply wont have anything other than UP) would not like it. The overall ease of getting into the stadium and the facilities around it are a breath of fresh air compared to an old school ground. I really would suggest that before they pass judgement people get down there and take a look around. There's another test event coming up - book your tickets. Its really worth it to see what it will be like at the Olympics, and after.
gavrosh

Postby Romford Iron on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Romford Iron

Postby NorthBankAlliance on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:53 pm

To me those pictures sum it up.
More like a viewing area than somewhere you can stand, sing and have a laugh at the football.
But then I suppose the people who go for those reasons aren't particularly important in the eyes of the board :|
NorthBankAlliance

Postby upton girlie on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:59 pm

I can see me in that photo :raver:
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery

Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."

Postby Hammers80 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:17 pm

upton girlie wrote:I can see me in that photo :raver:

What do you think of the stadium?

I've always been for the move and going yesterday hasn't changed that but I have had a sad feeling about it all since seeing it.
Hammers80

Postby upton girlie on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:40 pm

I've been doing some work on the Olympic Park for a while now and have seen the stadium progress both inside and out.
I like it inside but agree with the lower tier being too shallow. Stick some retractable seating over it up to the second tier, with some other major modifications and it'll be superb.

Pictures taken really don't do it any justice - as you, and anyone else who have sat in the seats, probably realise. I really would recommend that anyone who has doubts should go and have a look.
There are another couple of events planned as well as a couple more in the pipeline, so there is ample opportunity for anyone to see the full picture and use a little imagination.

I have even chosen my seat already - when can I put in a request? I want dates as I have the claret and blue spray cans at the ready :lol:
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery

Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."

Postby Hammers80 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:01 pm

I liked the stadium but it looked so permanent to me that I worry that they won't change much at all.

I think having the pods to serve beer and food to those not in the, yet to be built, boxes could be a very good thing. The many smokers who support us would have somewhere other than the toilets to do it as well.

I agree about the images as well as my wife has a very expensive camera but the images don't accurately represent what you see.

Also, it took no time at all to walk from the station to the OS.
Hammers80

Postby jimcollins65 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:25 pm

If anyone wants to watch football in an athletics stadium i guess this ones as good as any but i'd much rather watch football in a football ground. When i get an opportunity to go the OS i will go and i honestly hope i will be surprised and think ' wow, this is where i wanna watch my west ham play'. Looking at the photos though i think i will realise that this stadium is for a new generation of supporter and not for me.
jimcollins65

Postby Yorkshire 'ammer on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Yorkshire 'ammer

Postby Hammer Matty on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Got this in an email from the club. Trying to turn the boleyn into the shape of the OS?

Hammer Matty

Postby mywhufc on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:51 pm

No matter what they do with the lower tier, the upper tiers still remain too far away from the pitch
mywhufc

Postby Denbighammer on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:04 pm

Yorkshire 'ammer wrote:http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9439/6893200174f6c2410564o.jpg

This is the kind of seat that I will be able to afford. That black dot at the end of the big green bit is roughly where the far goal will be, a distance of around 200m (minimum).

Question to all OS supporters;
Would you be happy sitting there? ^
Denbighammer

Postby MD_HM on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:02 pm

That view might be a tenner or given to kids for free so why are you bothered.

There will be enough seats with a good view for all current season ticket holders that want one and more.

I think the photos make it look worse too, I am going to an event on the 5th May so will make a proper opinion then
MD_HM

Postby Mr_Andersonn on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Yorkshire 'ammer wrote:http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9439/6893200174f6c2410564o.jpg

This is the kind of seat that I will be able to afford. That black dot at the end of the big green bit is roughly where the far goal will be, a distance of around 200m (minimum).

Question to all OS supporters;
Would you be happy sitting there? ^[/quote]

These areas up behind the goals are the areas they were planning to close off due to the viewing distances.

The majority of the upper tier seems to have an acceptable view judging by what people have said over the last few days.

It's clear that the lower tier is a major issue though.
Mr_Andersonn

Postby Pop Robson on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:06 pm

Mr_Andersonn wrote:
These areas up behind the goals are the areas they were planning to close off due to the viewing distances.

The majority of the upper tier seems to have an acceptable view judging by what people have said over the last few days.

Acceptable, not really good enough.

No problem with the lower tier, don't forget the clubs mock up :wink:

Pop Robson

Postby Denbighammer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:32 am

MD_HM wrote:That view might be a tenner or given to kids for free so why are you bothered.

There will be enough seats with a good view for all current season ticket holders that want one and more.

I think the photos make it look worse too, I am going to an event on the 5th May so will make a proper opinion then

I'm not a STH and frankly, it doesn't matter how you dress it up its its still a distance in excess of 200m which is a bloody long way.
Denbighammer

Postby Denbighammer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 am

Mr_Andersonn wrote:These areas up behind the goals are the areas they were planning to close off due to the viewing distances.

Your response just shows what a horses-arse of a thing it is though.

"This bits gonna be fenced off."
"This bit will need some Meccano stands cos the angles too shallow."
"This bit will need a temporary roof" etc, etc, etc.

Its a mess, the whole thing is an utter mess.
Denbighammer

Postby Mr_Andersonn on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 am

Denbighammer wrote:
Your response just shows what a horses-arse of a thing it is though.

"This bits gonna be fenced off."
"This bit will need some Meccano stands cos the angles too shallow."
"This bit will need a temporary roof" etc, etc, etc.

Its a mess, the whole thing is an utter mess.

The truth is we don't know what exactly can be done with the stadium in terms of reconfiguration and it's all mostly our perceptions that are making it a mess at this point.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrizzla72 ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not clever enough to paste these flikr images.
Mr_Andersonn

Postby Denbighammer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:06 am

Mr_Andersonn wrote:The truth is we don't know what exactly can be done with the stadium in terms of reconfiguration and it's all mostly our perceptions that are making it a mess at this point.

There are a few facts that cannot be changed though;
1. The rear of the stand behind the goals is miles from the pitch.
2. To rectify the problem with point 1, you have to either
(a)- build temporary seating on the running track, with or without a temporary roof
(b)- fence off the area behind the goals as useless.
Both solutions to problem 2 are, IMO a pretty crappy compromise and doesn't make the bloody thing a football ground.
Denbighammer

Postby Aztec Hammer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:12 pm

upton girlie wrote:I've been doing some work on the Olympic Park for a while now and have seen the stadium progress both inside and out.
I like it inside but agree with the lower tier being too shallow. Stick some retractable seating over it up to the second tier, with some other major modifications and it'll be superb.

Pictures taken really don't do it any justice - as you, and anyone else who have sat in the seats, probably realise. I really would recommend that anyone who has doubts should go and have a look.
There are another couple of events planned as well as a couple more in the pipeline, so there is ample opportunity for anyone to see the full picture and use a little imagination.

I have even chosen my seat already - when can I put in a request? I want dates as I have the claret and blue spray cans at the ready :lol:

UG, do you know if there will be any events at the OS in April? I looked and could only find a test event in May, which is when I am back at university to do my final exams. Will be a shame if I can't check out stadium in the next month.
Aztec Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Olympic Stadium