Change of Crest?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Re: Change of Crest?

Post by sutts07 »

Northern_Light wrote: Not sure if you are being sarcy or not.
Yeah it was sarcy, and for the record I do not think the crest should change at all.

But just to wind YeahWhyNot up...

Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

sutts07 wrote:But just to wind YeahWhyNot up...
Clearly you are someone with time in your hands.
The old iron works building would easily look like a pair of dildos as an emblem.I was thinking one chimney stack and factory building.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Northern_Light wrote: I was thinking one chimney stack and factory building.
I'm not for changing the crest, but nice posts N_L.

I've always associated Stratford with the railways. I can't think of another place that will have had 4 completely new termini in the last 25 years (Docklands/Jubilee/Crossrail/International). Plus my grandad used to work in the depot. Maybe a railway shed?

In this flight of fancy, I also like your idea of a chimney - echoes the fabulous opening ceremony - but surely the old anchor should make a comeback? The stadium is on the river and it harks back to the Ironworks.

Railways, the River, Castles and Hammers. Lovely imagery. Better than a cock on a ball.
Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

Doc H Ball wrote:I'm not for changing the crest, but nice posts N_L.
Thanks. I appreciate being treated with civility even though you might basically disagree.
Doc H Ball wrote:- but surely the old anchor should make a comeback? The stadium is on the river and it harks back to the Ironworks.
Interestingly, even the Castle Swifts link has more to do with boats than castles, as it was the Castle Line shipping company that instigated the football team and which also named their boats after castles. Also, the link with West Ham comes from some of their players deciding to join Thames Iron Works after the Swifts folded. That link is quite tenuous, but it's basically more to do with ships than castles per se.

Also, a railway shed does not look dissimilar to other industrial workshops with roofs with multiple slopes.

The shipping link is really strong, as is the water link, as Stratford was popular because of its wharfs, rivers and canals. It does link up several important historical threads for West Ham and Stratford.
spyinthesky

Post by spyinthesky »

[quote=No need to apologise, it would hard to produce something that is universally liked. I have never liked the composition of our current one and it's predecessors with the hammers over the castle.[/quote]

But the present one from the design perspective has balance as well as looks good at all sizes, its as good as any badge out there and looks like it has been done by someone who actually understands the elements that make good design. You cant just take bits and pieces and fill in gaps. You need a consistent whole rather than just bung in unrelated images where you have created convenient holes.
spyinthesky

Post by spyinthesky »

Interesting to hear about the real roots of the castle emblem sounds to fit to me. However though Old Castle Swifts were ( I assume) indeed the works team of the Castle line as stated, the fact that they were named OLD Castle was that 'old' actually relating to the Boleyn Tower I wonder. If so then however coincidentally there is a link between the two clubs through that symbol, even if it was not exploited till the twenties. (Sadly not true as I have now found out.)

As for Stratford symbolism, now theres an amusing opportunity for thought. Anything Roman of course as that is its significant origin and as anyone knows is clearly why we have so many Italian fans. A Roman helmet or better still, crossed 'fasces' though probably best if we have DiCanio as manager by then.

Or if we want an industrial link we could always piss off our greatest fan Obama by having rockets or fireworks representing the '...the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,' from the US national anthem which were of course made some half mile from the stadium and used in the war of 1812.

The engine works means that a steam engine would be appropriate perhaps like 'Thomas' combined with the face of George Hudson, the "Railway King;", or if a more current image is preferred, Michael Portillo even. Hey it even had steam coaches by the 1830s which could surely be combined with Harry Redknapp in an image full of hot air symbolism, and as wiki conveniently tells me Stratford was famous for its potatoes, surely a gift with the face of Big Sam so conveniently available to manipulate.

Aah yes the possibilities are endless.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

I'm all for tweaking the badge a bit. Starting to look a bit pony imo. No massive changes just smartening up a bit. I can't put my finger on what it is I dislike about ours but something about it just looks a bit naff to me.
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

sutts07 wrote:
With the cross of St George instead of the Union Jack, this does look quite modern and I like it, however, I do hope we do not follow the trend and change our emblem, the change of stadium is more than enough for now, however, should the club ever announce they are looking into it, I hope you bombard them with this image Sutts. :thup:
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

Just for laughs, this is what someone made in a competition to redesign club crests:

http://www.designfootball.com/design-ga ... rest-8823/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:
a86

Post by a86 »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BK3q6D6CMAADX2I.jpg:large

have been working on a design but not fully completed, thinking to remove the sheild and come up wit a more european style crest, keeping the two major elements of the castle and hammers, at the end of the day that is our history and we must maintain that.

the shape has been influenced by the olympic stadium, i feel we must include this as its becoming a defining part of our clubs life. the roof structure and the triangular pattern is very distintive on teh stadium so why not highlight this in our badge also?

i've also put in a rather significant design on the badge... the two hoops, a design which is really distinctive on our kits and known throughout the world that it is west ham.

lots more work to do on it, like font style and also whether the olympic rings should be included...

any thoughts would be much appriciated.

cheers

:crest:
Iron Heart

Post by Iron Heart »

and also whether the olympic rings should be included
They won't be allowed to be for copyright reasons. Even the BBC had to pixelate them out of news reports when not actually broadcasting the games themselves for which they were the rights holder.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

a86 that's a really interesting design, great job so far. Like the more subtle reference to the OS with the triangle border.

I like how that design would incorporate the name into the crest. Looks cleaner than having a banner below which is a bit old fashioned.

I do think our current badge is already nice and pretty simplistic. Crossed hammers, castle, crest, name. So to go from that to yours would be to become more complex which I do like, but clubs seem to be doing the opposite if you look at liverpool and spurs which have borderless designs.

In a design I'd like to have more emphasis on the 'united'. Perhaps use it like Arsenal use 'forward' or Villa use 'prepared'. While Man U seem to have the monopoly on being called it, we should reclaim it.
a86

Post by a86 »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLixbYTCUAAX6VZ.jpg:large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full Colour

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLixn5bCIAAYVXt.jpg:large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Claret mono

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLiyRF6CEAEhOXj.jpg:large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gold
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images too large.
a86

Post by a86 »

mock up kit with badge
a86

Post by a86 »

Snudge
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Snudge »

^^^^^ I quite like that, and it's instantly recognizable as us.

Whether I would want it as a new permanent crest, then I'm not sure.

I'd be curious to see what it looked like if the castle was taken out and just the crossed hammers.
mr2teatime

Post by mr2teatime »

To be honest, i find our current badge/crest to be a bit....er......old fashioned and out of date.....

I've never been a fan of the banner underneath the the badge....my own preference would be the FA cup castle in 80.....

Personally i think simple is the way forward and wouldn't mind seeing just the castle on its own, although i cant see this happening....

Liverpool and the spuds badge is simple with no border and looks good imvvho......

Wolves Badge has always appealed in its simplicity as is chelsea's badge (heresy i know....sorry)

Rangers is simple and effective.....

Is the design going to be something simple and effective and easy to reproduce? Is it to market the WHUFC as a brand?

Funnily enough, i think this design :kumb: is simple and very effective with the claret/blue/white flag....how would this look with just a gold or black castle imposed over the top? or incorporate the west ham "flag" above the badge???

I'm sure i should think things through before typing this ramble...
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

Nothing wrong with our badge at all, doesn't look dated but retains a real sense of history, no need for any significant change.

:crest:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3030 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

^^^^^

I agree , nowt wrong with the badge as it is .

Having said that we clearly have some very creative posters on this site :thup:
Doctor Mopp
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Doctor Mopp »

a86 wrote:mock up kit with badge
Looks like a rosette.