Change of Crest?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Side of Ham

Re: Change of Crest?

Post by Side of Ham »

We are known the world over as the Hammers?

Nice to know the world has done their research right :|
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Trap, you don't half talk absolute **** at times.
yonni
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by yonni »

Right or wrong we are known as the hammers. From a purely marketing point of view, as that is what a few are siting as their reason not to change, we need to keep the hammers. I've heard it in Spain, Thailand, Cambodia, Barbados and Turkey. I live in Scotland and everyone seems to refer to us as the hammers up here as well. The point is that the crossed hammers are more linked to us than the castle. Those talking about marketing should consider the huge amount of free publicity that we are going to get from the move. A new crest would be a very logical thing to do to tie in with the move and to launch it amidst so much free press would make it stick and put it out around the world if it came out at Olympic time. Imagine comentators in 192 countries filling dead airspace with talk about West Ham, Bobby Moore's old club, moving in after the games?

So, I'm in favour of a reworking of the crest to tie in with the move. The current castle doesn't seem to sit right with a modern olympic stadium to me. As long as we don't do a Leeds and have 8 badges in 10 years, most clubs have changed their badge a bit from time to time, I think the time is right. The move has been done for business reasons - to grow the club - a new badge would also be a business decision. Why only go half way? Club wants to grow? Club needs cash! Wake up people, this is another marketing decision.

On a purely emotional level I've talked myself into wanting to keep the crest though for the Castle Swifts and because they were "United" with the Ironworks. To me though, it doesn't matter what some overpaid brand placement expert decides should go on the shirt, I'll still follow the team through thick & thin. If they don't produce a new badge they'll be missing a golden opportunity whether they keep the castle or not.
Ercans
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Ercans »

No.

Although we're moving from the Boelyn, I want to keep the castle as a sort of nod to our past. Its important.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Yonni,

In business terms, what do we gain by changing the crest?
yonni

Post by yonni »

James P wrote:Yonni,

In business terms, what do we gain by changing the crest?
increase in shirt sales, mugs, scarves etc. etc. merchandising windfall as all the kids want the new stuff.
James P

Post by James P »

yonni wrote:increase in shirt sales, mugs, scarves etc. etc. merchandising windfall as all the kids want the new stuff.
You should remove shirt sales. People buy new shirts every year because it's a new shirt even if the crest on it stays the same.

Anything else? This is distinctly small fry at the moment.
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Yonni they only way West Ham is going to appeal to 'the world' and have a half chance of them getting to know us as the 'Irons' is to get a decent team of world stars that get us into the top 6 on a regular basis, because they are in the main glory hunting c*nts who watch from afar on al jezera.

They don't give a f*ck about the 'new' badge, they care about the names on the backs of our team shirts, so because of that i don't see why we have to change anything, as the whole of that badge is part of our history which hasn't changed or can be.

I want West Ham to appeal to people who like our traditions not our PC new badge that happens to reflect our current position, that's just a load of cock, and it's won't get us mass appeal anyway.

As for suggesting ripping off our current supporters yet again by getting them to buy new swag with the new badge, well i question the sort of supporter you are of this club, to see that as a positive.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I reckon we should change it. I dont particularly care for the design we have right now, its ok but a simplified pair of crossed hammers would be more aesthetically pleasing to me.

The badge on the 1997 away kit is heading in the right direction. Similarly this is nice,

James P

Post by James P »

fjthegrey wrote:The badge on the 1997 away kit is heading in the right direction.
The blue crest on the Ecru kit? :shock:

I guess everyone has their own taste.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Its not perfect, but the simple crossed hammers is on the right track.
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 283 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

Just loooking at the previous shirts on the old kits website it's clear that the castle has come and gone a few times and hasn't always been associated with some of our classic teams. For example, there was no castle on the shirt in the early to mid-sixties, which I suppose a lot of people would associate with all that's good about the West Ham tradition.

I wouldn't go mad if they just went to a pair of hammers, but judging by the response to his thread, it'd be a bit of a PR blunder if they went completely out with the old to tie in with the stadium move. Probably best keep the castle then.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/West_Ha ... United.htm
yonni

Post by yonni »

Side of Ham wrote:Yonni they only way West Ham is going to appeal to 'the world' and have a half chance of them getting to know us as the 'Irons' is to get a decent team of world stars that get us into the top 6 on a regular basis...

They don't give a f*ck about the 'new' badge, they care about the names on the backs of our team shirts, so because of that i don't see why we have to change anything, as the whole of that badge is part of our history which hasn't changed or can be.

I want West Ham to appeal to people who like our traditions not our PC new badge that happens to reflect our current position, that's just a load of cock, and it's won't get us mass appeal anyway.

As for suggesting ripping off our current supporters yet again by getting them to buy new swag with the new badge, well i question the sort of supporter you are of this club, to see that as a positive.
1 was a response to a previous post not me saying we will be world famous.
2 marketing revenue is one way to help us get bigger names.
3 No it won't get us mass appeal - where did I say that it would? And how is a new badge PC?
4 Don't question my support - I'm putting this across from purely a marketing perspective, not my own personal view, as people used marketing as a reason not to change.

Please read all my posts on this subject properly before trying to discredit me as a superficial supporter. I have stated above that on an emotional level I would keep the castle but for business reasons it makes sense to make a change. This is an emotive issue but try to calm down before jerking that knee eh? :wink: I wouldn't have been on KUMB since 2001 if I was that kind of supporter.

James P. I'm sure we would see an increase over and above the norm in shirt sales if a new badge were introduced so I would certainly factor that in.
Norridge

Post by Norridge »

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and say I prefer the look of the second one.
Also, if you stare at the current badge for a while it starts to look like a sad clown with a castle on his head

I'll be getting me coat then. ;)
Dieter Eckstein

Norridge wrote: I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and say I prefer the look of the second one.
Also, if you stare at the current badge for a while it starts to look like a sad clown with a castle on his head

I'll be getting me coat then.
:D He's sad because he's got hammers for arms.
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

fjthegrey wrote:Similarly this is nice,

What the **** is that........sgt west ham
Dieter Eckstein

steptoe61 wrote:

What the **** is that........sgt west ham
I heard Major ripped it off his arm when he chucked his season ticket away.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

At last some sense from Ironworks and Old Mile End.Both manage to portray what I am trying to say a lot better then myself.
As I said earlier (and UTJ stole my point), we may as well just get rid of the crossed hammers based on Traps logic.
Last edited by mushy on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James P

Post by James P »

When I think of West Ham's history, images like these come to mind:

Personally I think it would be a damn shame to lose the castle from our club crest at a time where we're severing other links with our past. Whilst the origin of the castle may have come from our Green Street location, it is now in my mind an indelible mark of the football club itself and something we should be proud of.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

James P wrote:Whilst the origin of the castle may have come from our Green Street location, it is now in my mind an indelible mark of the football club itself and something we should be proud of.
With no records to confirm either way, it's just as likely to have come from our association with Castle Swifts in which case it's as relevant (and aged) as the crossed hammers.