Change of Crest?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Re: Change of Crest?

Post by JonG86 »

GideaParkHammer wrote:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn what they thought 40 years ago...I would have been 2 and my main decisions in life was to eat or crap lol

We are being asked now, and I say NO
But you remember 25 years ago don't you?

http://www.toffs.com/West-Ham-1983-1985 ... info/1523/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Had a chat with some footballing mates down the pub before I came home, asked them what signified West Ham to them after the usual losers, relegation ect, ribbing they mentioned all the usual stuff claret & blue, hammers, Upton Park, the Academy, Bobby Moore, world cup etc, two things that didn't come up were the Boleyn Ground and castles. So it maybe if we stopped using the castle only we would miss it!
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

JonG86 wrote:
But you remember 25 years ago don't you?

http://www.toffs.com/West-Ham-1983-1985 ... info/1523/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
**** kit. It was only designed for a sponsor...and to make look David Swindlehurst and Steve Whitton to look even fatter. Yeah go for the plain Hammers if Benny BigMac is wearing the shirt.
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

Hammer110 wrote:Had a chat with some footballing mates down the pub before I came home, asked them what signified West Ham to them after the usual losers, relegation ect, ribbing they mentioned all the usual stuff claret & blue, hammers, Upton Park, the Academy, Bobby Moore, world cup etc, two things that didn't come up were the Boleyn Ground and castles. So it maybe if we stopped using the castle only we would miss it!
But they aren't West Ham supporters.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Hammer110 wrote:Had a chat with some footballing mates down the pub before I came home, asked them what signified West Ham to them after the usual losers, relegation ect, ribbing they mentioned all the usual stuff claret & blue, hammers, Upton Park, the Academy, Bobby Moore, world cup etc, two things that didn't come up were the Boleyn Ground and castles. So it maybe if we stopped using the castle only we would miss it!
WCpete wrote: But they aren't West Ham supporters.
Exactly my point, in terms of external marketing the castle may have little relevance. If there was a vote though I would vote to keep it.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

But they aren't West Ham supporters.

Exactly my point, in terms of external marketing the castle may have little relevance. If there was a vote though I would vote to keep it.
But would it repel them from becoming a West Ham supporter? I guess my point in all of this is that it's this generation of West Ham supporters that are being asked to make this big transition whether they want it or not, and if a majority of these supporters want to keep the castle in some form or another and outsiders don't care about the castle, why not keep your support base happy?
GideaParkHammer

If you were asked to list things you associate with Liverpool FC, I doubt if the Liver Bird would be top of the list, but I doubt if any Liverpool fan would want to change the badge.

No one has actually given me a good reason for us to dispense with the castle.

The crossed hammers have always been a good badge for vandals, graffiti artists, and tattooists. Jeez I have lost count how many times I have carved, or written, the crossed hammers in a bog when I have been pissed. However, it takes tongue out of the corner of the mouth concentration to get the castle symetetrical. That, to me, is good enough reason to keep it lol
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

GideaParkHammer wrote:
If you were asked to list things you associate with Liverpool FC, I doubt if the Liver Bird would be top of the list, but I doubt if any Liverpool fan would want to change the badge.
It would actually be near the top of my list, :P but then there are deep rooted connections between Liverpool and North Wales, at one point so many Welsh lived there it was known as the capital of North Wales, even the Scouse accent probably has it roots in Welsh with a splash of Irish.
GideaParkHammer

Hammer110 wrote:
It would actually be near the top of my list, :P but then there are deep rooted connections between Liverpool and North Wales, at one point so many Welsh lived there it was known as the capital of North Wales, even the Scouse accent probably has it roots in Welsh with a splash of Irish.
As you are aware, (hopefully), I tried to argue the case for not moving to the OS with respect and research. Clearly that failed, so in regards to the Club Crest.....

Shut up poopy head, you know nuffink.....plus anyone that thinks we should change our badge smells of stale urine, and are 100% gay.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Hammer110 wrote: So it maybe if we stopped using the castle only we would miss it!
And if only we miss it I couldn't give a **** what they think.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

Anyone who wants to change the badge is a prat imho it's fine as it is representing our history with a modern slant, It must be hard supporting the club seeing as loads of people seem to have a negative slant on everything to do with it.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Does that mean that if we keep the Castle, I have to go back up to the top of that mountain in Quito and finish my crossed 'ammers scribbling ?????

Bugger....

:lol:
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

You know, now that I think of it, I think I carved out some Hammers somewhere on the upper part of Cotopaxi in 97.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

When I compare club badges I genuinely think that ours is one of the best. I know I am biaised in my views, but as they go through the Premier League badges at the start of the weekly Foxtel show here in Oz, ours rolls out down Tower Bridge and is pick of the crop for me.

This is not an argument between crossed hammers and the castle, because they both look the business to me. That's why the design is so good and should not be significantly altered. The crossed hammers are truly associated with us and should be rightly be carved all over the world wherever fellow Hammers wander! Equally, the complete badge with the castle, should always be our official badge.

I certainly don't mind having a shirt for a season or two with just the hammers - it looks good in light blue on the claret shirt for example. But the proper crest always looks good on white shirts, so I'd have no problems with a mix of badges on different shirts.

Some have mentioned about the days when we played with no badge - the 60's and 70's for example. This is true, but there was always a special shirt should we get to a final. And, in my experience, since 1964 onwards, that special shirt featured a badge with the castle.

I think we could try a simple badge of crossed hammers for league games, and a another shirt used for cup games that had the full badge on it, hammers and castle.

Remember, form is temporary, but class is permanent. And our badge is class.
:crest:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1316 likes

Post by davids cross »

A badge shouldn't just be representative of what or where you are at a specific moment in time but a full representation of your past. The castle represents that past wherever we are playing.............it stays.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

hadleighhammer wrote:And if only we miss it I couldn't give a sh*t what they think.
I believe I did say:
Hammer110 wrote:If there was a vote though I would vote to keep it.
:P
GideaParkHammer

Ooops sorry about the harshness of my tirade. I normally only reseve the "poopyhead" put down for those that are really stupid. However, I will reserve the right to retract the "stale piss smelling" reference depending on your future posts. Be Warned
boleyn4life

Post by boleyn4life »

Our home for over 100 years is to be no more

Then i read this thread

Shall we just dump all of our history & start again.......................................................!
Zola4ever

Post by Zola4ever »

not a bad idea
GideaParkHammer

Zola4ever wrote:not a bad idea
Boooooo (see above piss smelling gay poopyhead) :lol: