Change of Crest?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Re: Change of Crest?

Post by RichieRiv »

Very perceptive of you Trap.

The club badge has a castle on it, always has and always will. Yes some shirts have been minus the case, in fact the second shirt I was ever brought had a pair of hammers (84/85), only for the castle to return in 85/86.

The fact remains that the majority of shirts in our history have a castle on the badge, it's part of the fabric of the club.

By all mean produce shirts for a season or two with crossed hammers, but long term, no.

Plus your entire argument is invalidated by the fact that the castle could very well originate from our Castle Swifts days rather than our current location.

I personally think the Henry VIII connection is tenuous at best. I read once that the claret was due to it being his favourite wine and the blue because of royal blood.
GideaParkHammer

Post by GideaParkHammer »

Perhaps this could replace the castle on the badge.

Rebranding is not always good. Older supporters will remember this monstrosity

I can not see why the club would want to remove any references to the Boleyn when we do move. Traditions become traditions because they are succesful. However, I would like, (as we are unlikely to be able to show the Olympic rings on the badge, for a crown to top the shield in recognition of the fact that we will be playing in Queen Elizabeth II Park.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

In support of the idea of going back to simply the crossed hammers as an icon, I remember seeing this picture in the Paul McCallum thread about a month ago and thinking how great it looked - simple and strong. And memorable enough that I still had it in my mind weeks later when this thread came up - which is exactly what you want in a club badge...for it to stick in your mind.

On a slightly different tack, how cool would it be having a pair of giant 40ft crossed steel hammers like this as the entrance to the new stadium?
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

If we are talking about brand exposure and maximum way of achieving this, then just West Ham doesnt cut it worldwide, people in say Paraguay will go where is West Ham in the UK?

You would therefore be better off following the AEK Athens route, and classify ourselves worldwide as WHU London, people abroad would perhaps mention us as London FC? Perhaps a great marketing ploy?
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

James P wrote:Everyone's a graphic designer these days.
It was my first job out of school, trainee graphic designer for a print company, never made it past the trainee bit though it probably shows :lol:
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

AJ wrote:If we are talking about brand exposure and maximum way of achieving this, then just West Ham doesnt cut it worldwide, people in say Paraguay will go where is West Ham in the UK?

You would therefore be better off following the AEK Athens route, and classify ourselves worldwide as WHU London, people abroad would perhaps mention us as London FC? Perhaps a great marketing ploy?
Please tell me that this is a sarcastic post and not a true thought. I am beginning to wonder why some people on here claim to support west ham, move the ground, change the badge. And WTF is brand exposure. We are a football team for gods sake. It's about blokes on the pitch doing the best they can.
GideaParkHammer

Aceface wrote:On a slightly different tack, how cool would it be having a pair of giant 40ft crossed steel hammers like this as the entrance to the new stadium?
I do not think one thing has to be mutually exclusive. The crossed hammers are already used on their own in many situations. However, I think the official club badge should retain the castle.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

GideaParkHammer wrote: Rebranding is not always good. Older supporters will remember this monstrosity[/img]
i love that Leeds badge, a simple design that sums up the 70's. It only took me 30 years to work out it was an L & U.
I also think that statue is going to be iconic in years to come.

on another note GPH, i've noticed even though the stadium outcome has gone against your views you have tried to be positive about it, good work fella.
GideaParkHammer

Cheers Taffhammer

Whilst I am not overly positive about my own future matchday experience, I am trying to be positive from the club and general supporters point of view. I changed slightly when I went to the recent Birmingham game. It finally dawned on me that the support had a larger percentage of bittle old farts like me than is healthy lol. Moaning, for us, has become second nature, and it is more detrimental to the atmosphere than any move to a new stadium. We need the kids and teenagers back, like we had in the 70's and 80's. They might be a pain in the arse, and act as if they own the place, (like we were and did lol), but they are the future. If there is one positive I can see about moving to the OS, is that these teenagers may start coming due to the lower prices.

Us anti-OS lost the fight, but hopefully our moans and concerns have been heard by those in charge. If they can work out a way to get us closer to the pitch, then I am glad people like Hadleigh, Pop and myself were so vocal.

As for badges, this was my favourite from the 70's and think it is a bit of a design classic

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

I have no problem with floating the idea, and maybe the club could declutter the crest.

However I would suggest that given the major upheaval of moving ground and the need to keep the supporters on board they should be looking to emphasise tradition and not losing it. For that reason I believe changing the club crest at the same time would be a bad idea.

And that is not just because I prefer the castle in the crest.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

taffhammer wrote:I love that Leeds badge, a simple design that sums up the 70's. It only took me 30 years to work out it was an L & U.
So do I, Taff (in fact I had an Allan Clarke shirt with it on may, many years ago).

Not convinced I'd like it as my club's logo though...
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

GideaParkHammer wrote: As for badges, this was my favourite from the 70's and think it is a bit of a design classic
Yep nice and simple again, like ours would be if they went to just hammers. Personally i like a badge to be like a 'coat of arms' style like it is now, it's a tradition that doesn't date unlike a badge that reflects the logos of the time which should be on packets of food or t-shirts.

The forest badge was done when they first went to Adidas hence the river being three stripes, clever, i wonder how they have managed to keep it when they are no longer Adidas.

and after watching us play one up front against Wigan at home a few years ago all my moaning was used up in one game, so i no longer moan at football just at the screen when reading "muddy's" posts about the OS.
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

mywhufc wrote: Please tell me that this is a sarcastic post and not a true thought. I am beginning to wonder why some people on here claim to support west ham, move the ground, change the badge. And WTF is brand exposure. We are a football team for gods sake. It's about blokes on the pitch doing the best they can.
Yes it was, I was only playing devils advocate about the badge change as some think on here if we change we can publicise ourselves better, kind of random blue sky thinking.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

got to be a wind up - never change the badge :crest:
JonG86
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by JonG86 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:got to be a wind up - never change the badge :crest:
I wonder if the fans thought the same thing when they added the castle 40 odd years ago, then removed it, then added it again then changed the design of the castle?
GideaParkHammer

JonG86 wrote:
I wonder if the fans thought the same thing when they added the castle 40 odd years ago, then removed it, then added it again then changed the design of the castle?

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn what they thought 40 years ago...I would have been 2 and my main decisions in life was to eat or crap lol

We are being asked now, and I say NO
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

GideaParkHammer wrote:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn what they thought 40 years ago...I would have been 2 and my main decisions in life was to eat or crap lol

We are being asked now, and I say NO
Oh so you are an old fart then! :wink:

Just kidding GPH I'm glad you and your mercenaries have stood down now.
GideaParkHammer

The Rebirth wrote:[

Oh so you are an old fart then! :wink:

Just kidding GPH I'm glad you and your mercenaries have stood down now.

Oh yes, they have stood down *double wink*. bwah ha ha ha
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Spent many happy hours marking every single school book I owned (and many a school desk) with the old gothic/fairy castle and crossed hammers - stopped any other **** from stealing them as I was the only Hammer in the year. Would be too easy for the yoof today to just whack a pair of hammers on their books

......not that they would as they're too lazy nowadays

......not that they have school books any more as they just have these laptop thingamijigs which you can't draw a crest on anyway

....f*** it - I'm too old for this :crest:
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

DM wrote:......not that they have school books any more as they just have these laptop thingamijigs which you can't draw a crest on anyway
I think you'll find that our current logo has been created on one of those laptop thingamijigs :lol: