Would you watch football at this ground?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

West Bergen Iron
Location: Squinting to see the TV while sinking into the swamp

Re: Would you watch football at this ground?

Post by West Bergen Iron »

Would be great MM. The pictures are especially nice for those of us across the sea because it gives us something to get cranked about even though we can't see it in person :D
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Are the seats still going to be that minging grey?
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Are people who are going to watch the Olympics debating whether the sight lines for the Javelin, hammer, high jump, long jump and triple (for those people up the other end of the stadium to that particular event) are going to be crap, good?

Are those people on the back straight debating whether they will be able to see the 100m final?

In answer to Would you watch football at this ground? Yes I would watch West Ham play anywhere? Whether the sight lines, atmosphere be as good as the Boleyn? Well that is still up for grabs.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

sussexhammer74 wrote:Are people who are going to watch the Olympics debating whether the sight lines for the Javelin, hammer, high jump, long jump and triple (for those people up the other end of the stadium to that particular event) are going to be crap, good?

Are those people on the back straight debating whether they will be able to see the 100m final?

They get the tickets they are given though for a once in a lifetime event. Hardly the same as purchasing a set seat to watch 19-23 matches per season throughout a long season.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Rheo

Post by Rheo »

Denbighammer wrote:

They get the tickets they are given though for a once in a lifetime event. Hardly the same as purchasing a set seat to watch 19-23 matches per season throughout a long season.
That's it exactly, the Olympic Stadium's fantastic for athletics and for a one off event people don't care where they sit. For the Olympics the stadium will be full to capacity and the atmosphere will be electric.

But on a cold, wet, windy, Tuesday night in January, playing against Hull, the 20,000 loyal supporters scattered around the two thirds empty Olympic Stadium might not have such a great experience.

And don't forget, the £95 million for converting the stadium's being slowly whittled away by inflation. With inflation running at about 4% p.a., by the time they start work it'll only be worth approximately £88 million and falling. Retractable seating etc. just ain't going to happen. It'll pay for an extension to the roof, corporate boxes, toilets, catering facilities and not much else.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

The Rebirth wrote:Looks fantastic
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Took my girlfriend for a meal at the Paramount at the top of Centre Point couple of weeks back. From there you can clearly see both the Emirates and the OP. In comparison, the Emirates is tiny. It really nailed home the point that there's one of two ways this can go - either we eventually become a big, big club or we face a future as a bit of a joke playing in a stadium that is far too big for us. To me, the answer to that question lies in the reconfiguration: get it right and the former, get it wrong, the latter. I really, really hope that the owners realise how pivotal it is to do that job right.
Benfleet Pete

Post by Benfleet Pete »

.......to watch a game of football in???
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

gavrosh wrote:Took my girlfriend for a meal at the Paramount at the top of Centre Point couple of weeks back. From there you can clearly see both the Emirates and the OP. In comparison, the Emirates is tiny. It really nailed home the point that there's one of two ways this can go - either we eventually become a big, big club or we face a future as a bit of a joke playing in a stadium that is far too big for us. To me, the answer to that question lies in the reconfiguration: get it right and the former, get it wrong, the latter. I really, really hope that the owners realise how pivotal it is to do that job right.
what reconfigeration, what you see is what we get, the only seats coming out make way for boxes and screens. 14,000 empty seats every game and that only if we sell out, the decision on removable seating needs to be made straight away as that affects how far they have to extend the roof.if we have extra seating the roof has to cover them adding more cost on to it. they either have to up the budget or there will be no seating on the track.
WHUTerry

Post by WHUTerry »

A fantastic image of an iconic stadium. Can't wait.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

WHUTerry wrote:A fantastic image of an iconic ATHLETICstadium. Can't wait.
cheeky edit for you
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy »

WHUTerry wrote:A fantastic image of an iconic stadium. Can't wait.

Look at the gap though!... it just seems to get bigger and bigger!

Was looking at the Molineux redevelopment plans which are now underway and dreaming of what could have been at the Boleyn. Oh well...
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

mywhufc wrote:
what reconfigeration, what you see is what we get, the only seats coming out make way for boxes and screens. 14,000 empty seats every game and that only if we sell out, the decision on removable seating needs to be made straight away as that affects how far they have to extend the roof.if we have extra seating the roof has to cover them adding more cost on to it. they either have to up the budget or there will be no seating on the track.
Now this will most probably sound extremely stupid but, everyone keeps saying we can't go lower cos of the water tables etc ? What if we raise the pitch instead ? Do away with the lower tier and have a raised pitch ?
It does seem strange and if I'm honest, I haven't a clue how or what the plans are for the ground but there must be a way that the pitch could be raised with sections that come out from below or the sides so that the whole athletics section is below the football stadium part ?

Am I talking complete drivel or could something along these lines be done by a clever person ?

I wont hold my breath :lol:
Hopeful Hammer

Post by Hopeful Hammer »

Believer - If you raise the pitch the fans will be further away from the action, not closer.
OssieO

Post by OssieO »

Has anyone heard of any plans to extend the roof?.Have heard rumors about retractable seats & such,but football is a winter game and as the lower tier is already exposed as it is,reckon the club might earn a few sheckles setting up a stall flogging lemsip come january!.
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

"Its important that you listen to your customer"

Thats what Karren Brady has just said on THE APPRENTICE.

I don't think she's done much listening to Hammers supporters.
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

I'll reserve judgement until I've actually been.
As for not being able to see if you sit up top:

Anyone ever been to Nou Camp ?
At least here you won't have to bring hiking gear to get up to your seat.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Napoleon Solo wrote:"Its important that you listen to your customer"

Thats what Karren Brady has just said on THE APPRENTICE.

I don't think she's done much listening to Hammers supporters.
Supporters are erronerously labeled as customers, they are not , you don't really sell them anything you just tax them therefore it isn't important that we are listened to.
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Supporters are erronerously labeled as customers, they are not , you don't really sell them anything you just tax them therefore it isn't important that we are listened to.

Great stuff

:lol: