Would you watch football at this ground?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Re: Would you watch football at this ground?

Post by Whitters »

pbenjy wrote:
Does anyone know what the view is like from the seats down the straights? How does it compare with the East Stand at UP?
If the East Stand is currently approximately a running track distance away (which we all know is pretty crap), then there is the same distance again for the long jump and triple jump pits, and then another half a track or so for the curvature of the stadium. So roughly 25m away at the very best, in the the front row, which in itself will be too low down to get a decent view.

This is based around the half way line, the distance decreases a bit as you approach the corner flags.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

pbenjy wrote:I'm going to reserve final judgement until I've seen what plans the Daves come up with for the staium in football mode, but f*** me the seats at the ends are long way from the pitch.

Does anyone know what the view is like from the seats down the straights? How does it compare with the East Stand at UP?
I've asked Ian Tompkins for the details on viewing distances but alas he will not answer my questions. Although he has offered to meet for a chat.

Have a look at this post I did a while ago has some decent detail http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=129337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Along the straight is approx 116 feet (35m) back on the centre line
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

York Ham(mer) wrote:A football pitch is bigger than that patch of grass. They're going to have to lay some turf over the running track when a match is played.
One look at the current homes of Brighton, Rotherham or even AFC Hornchurch will tell you that a pitch fits within the dimensions of a running track. If they do put turf over the track, it will almost certainly only be for cosmetic reasons.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

pbenjy wrote:I'm going to reserve final judgement until I've seen what plans the Daves come up with for the staium in football mode, but f*** me the seats at the ends are long way from the pitch.

At the half way line, the nearest seat would be in the middle of the road behind the East stand. KUMB did a graphic. The club have said the sides would 'probably' stay as they are. Don't hold your breath for those plans mate.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Now that the OS has officially been completed by the developers, there will be a complete 3D rendering model of the finished stadium in digital form. For instance just for the roof once in place, the whole structure was laser-scanned to generate a 2 billion-point digital model – from http://www.bdonline.co.uk/buildings/lon ... 49.article.

This means that the whole stadium is able to be viewed through 3D modelling software with HD graphics similar to those used by F1 for circuit driving simulation or for commercial flight simulators. That would enable you to see the exact view from any seat in the stadium and very easily show it with the football pitch in place. In seconds you could measure the the exact distance between any two points - from a specific seat to centre spot, far corner flag, etc. There will be animations - for example showing the human eye viewpoint of someone entering the stadium and walking to their specific seat.

This software will be used to visualise changes that will be made after the games have finished - for example different variations of retractable seating, branding and colour schemes, executive boxes, etc. West Ham would have access to this 3D simulation - it's about time that at least some videos were made available from these renderings showing a more accurate feel for what it will be like watching football there.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Wembley 1966 - Good Post . :thup:

This is exactly the sort of thing the club needs to get use of early doors to allay peoples fears over viewing distances . Many fans will have tried for tickets to the Olympic Games and will have access to first hand experience once they have sat in the stadium .

At that point the horror stories - if there are any - will start to emerge , and the club will need to have it's ducks in a row in terms of building either a counter argument or alternative seating plan to offset any adverse comments put forward at that stage .

People need to understand behaviour is driven by perception - and if the fans perceive the view will be crap , they'll start to believe it and then it will be a major job to change their minds .

Anyone that thinks the majority won't make up their minds before going to stratford is in for a shock .
djclipz
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

don't know if anyone has posted this before, but you can use google maps streetview to go round the track at the berlin olympic stadium and have a good old look around, worth a look just so you can see the real distance between the stands and the pitch.

you can fully rotate your image to look at the stands etc and go completely round the whole track.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Olympia ... ZkEjYs1RsA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mitford

Post by mitford »

That actully doesn't look too bad have you seen this one of the london a panoramic view the pitch looks further away http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/ ... m-panorama

Press control to zoom out, and shift to zoom in. Click and drag the picture to move it around
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

the pink palermo wrote:Wembley 1966 - Good Post . :thup:

This is exactly the sort of thing the club needs to get use of early doors to allay peoples fears over viewing distances . Many fans will have tried for tickets to the Olympic Games and will have access to first hand experience once they have sat in the stadium .

At that point the horror stories - if there are any - will start to emerge , and the club will need to have it's ducks in a row in terms of building either a counter argument or alternative seating plan to offset any adverse comments put forward at that stage .

People need to understand behaviour is driven by perception - and if the fans perceive the view will be crap , they'll start to believe it and then it will be a major job to change their minds .

Anyone that thinks the majority won't make up their minds before going to stratford is in for a shock .
I pointed this out to Ian Tomkins (not on the thing that 66 mentioned specifically, but that the club needed to start getting some information out there and some hard facts on viewing distances). Some plans with some distances on would be a decent start and hardly beyond the capability of man. I'm not holding my breath.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

I went to Old Trafford with my brother tonight and his seats are approx 2 and a half, maybe 3 running tracks distance away from the action. I would imagine height wise, the elevation would be half way up the top tier of the olympic stadium. Very decent view we had too.... No worries there at all, its just a case of what the club does with the lower tier...
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:I went to Old Trafford with my brother tonight and his seats are approx 2 and a half, maybe 3 running tracks distance away from the action. I would imagine height wise, the elevation would be half way up the top tier of the olympic stadium. Very decent view we had too.... No worries there at all, its just a case of what the club does with the lower tier...

Not really a fair comparison though, as halfway up the top tier in the OS is about 5 to 6 running tracks distance:

loopyludo

Post by loopyludo »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:I went to Old Trafford with my brother tonight and his seats are approx 2 and a half, maybe 3 running tracks distance away from the action. I would imagine height wise, the elevation would be half way up the top tier of the olympic stadium. Very decent view we had too.... No worries there at all, its just a case of what the club does with the lower tier...
Seems to me Old Trafford fits quite easily inside the OS
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

That's insane...

But look at the view!

Just awful :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Spinal tap springs to mind .
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

the pink palermo wrote:Spinal tap springs to mind .
I'm booking myself in!
freddies shears

Post by freddies shears »

Last weekend i went to see Almeria v Valencia who have a stadium with a running track. I asked a local supporter what he thought of the ground in relation to the distance because of the track. He said the main point is that they have a very good quality screen to watch the goals on, because unless you are in the middle of the pitch you will need it to know who has actually scored and what the score actually is. I was seated just behind the goal line and beleive me the goal was ****ing miles away and i was only 16 rows back. I dont need know ifs and buts now i have witnessed it first hand. It killed Almeria, now down to 10k a game and in the same position in the league as us. I will give it a go for sure but my honest opinion is this stadium will kill our club. Binoculars all round. Thanks Dave and Dave :thup:
MADMOORE

Post by MADMOORE »

My mate is working on the OS at moment and has taken some pics.

I could get him to take some from certain areas of the ground if you like. (from an i phone so no wide lens etc)
Not sure if it will help as not sure how much will change when the stadium is revamped.

Just got to work out how to attach a pic on here from my hotmail or desktop..... I got one pic ready to go on,
MADMOORE

Post by MADMOORE »

Bo**ox cant do it..... cant attach it. Dont have the tech savvy.

If anyone knows let me know how and i will post it.
West Bergen Iron
Location: Squinting to see the TV while sinking into the swamp

Post by West Bergen Iron »

MM,

Best to upload the photo(s) to a sharing website (like Imageshack or Photobucket), copy the link, and then paste it in using the IMG button.
MADMOORE

Post by MADMOORE »

Cheers WBI, i will see if I can get my mate to take some relevant shots then put them on the site and do a link. :thup: