Food Options

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Romford
Big X

Re: Food Options

Post by Romford »

Im sure UG had a Maccy Ds in Beijing....personally i would have yellow carded her for it 8-)
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:
Westfield have already sold a 50% share in the development ( normal for them ). , so I don't think it's them that will raise any objections .I believe the retailers in the centre would prefer the 22,000 football fans that go to the stadium for 23 Sundays / Tuesdays each week to buy their grub outside the centre .I have a sneaking suspicion fans will be routed to the stadium in such a way we cannot readily access the shopping centre .

Why fella ?

In Portugal...they've built shopping centre's next to the big grounds for the reason of getting the most out of the location.

When you get to the top floor...its a huge party every game.

Before and after...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Two reasons really Romf .

1. It will be in the clubs interests to maximise nosh and ale sales within the vicinity of the ground .

2. Can you imagine how plod would police say 15,000 of our lot and say 6,000 Tottenham inside a food court in a shopping centre ?

I'm thinking of the situation at Chelsea where they lock ( I think ) the shopping centre for periods either side of the game .

Last edited by the pink palermo on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

The club are trying to devise a system where away fans are kept apart from us. Safe, easy route in. Safe, easy route out. Contact minimal.

There's no way we'll be kept away from Westfield.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Rio

Are you saying away fans will be kept away from Westfield then ?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

the pink palermo wrote:Rio

Are you saying away fans will be kept away from Westfield then ?
I'm led to believe that the intention is that the bulk of the away support comes in from a route that doesn't involve direct contact with our support. So the majority will not be encouraged to go anywhere other than straight to the ground.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

Romford wrote:Im sure UG had a Maccy Ds in Beijing....personally i would have yellow carded her for it
The kid did but I got a sandwich from that Irish place opposite, just outside of the Silk market. 8-)
Rio wrote:I'm led to believe that the intention is that the bulk of the away support comes in from a route that doesn't involve direct contact with our support. So the majority will not be encouraged to go anywhere other than straight to the ground.
Is that something to do with the tunnels and walkways being built?

On a side note...Is Ian Tompkins still suspended?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Rio wrote: I'm led to believe that the intention is that the bulk of the away support comes in from a route that doesn't involve direct contact with our support. So the majority will not be encouraged to go anywhere other than straight to the ground.
Fair enough Rio .

If they let us in , there will be plenty on offer , but it does beg the question .

How will the clubs income get a boost if everyone is eating 1km away ? So far we are told there will be free tickets for kids - being bused in from deepest Kent , and cheaper tickets for adults . Now we will be encouraged to go to the shopping centre for lunch , what extra money will ever come in to the club ?

How will any of this boost the club and help it progress , more than staying at the Boleyn ?
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

what are the options for away fans, if west ham are 'given' stratford? Hackney wick? bow? I guess it all depends where the 'away' end is going to be, but id guess that theyd probably want to use stratford international as the quick stop-off point for fans coming from st pancras, which is convenient for all the northern fans coming down by train. also, assuming that the club keeps the current concourse set up rather than taking all of the stores inside, will this mean a totally sectioned off part of that for the away support?
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

An update for you, after a jaunt round the place 2 weeks ago and a meeting yesterday.

There will be two Maccy D's at the Olympic Village, both in existence for 4 weeks only and therefore only being built as temporary structures.

In this time period they are expecting to take approximately £30 million from food and drinks sales.

Nice little earner :D

They (Maccy D's) are hoping for a more permanent structure when final decisions have been made regarding the future of the OS.
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

Great bit of munch for the olympic athletes,have you heard of any chicken shops springing up.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Apparantly fans will be marched through Westfields shopping center to the stadium

Thats what i've heard any way
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Yea Why Not wrote:Apparantly fans will be marched through Westfields shopping center to the stadium

Thats what i've heard any way
Unfortunately for you, YWN, Westfield doesn't lie between the station and the stadium. :wink:
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Rocketron wrote: Unfortunately for you, YWN, Westfield doesn't lie between the station and the stadium. :wink:
it does if you go to stratford on the central line or main line. Not if you arrive at Stratford international.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

I went on the overground from Hackney Central. The stadium was on the right, the shopping centre on the left.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

From Stratford Station, (regional, central line), the quickest way to the ground is through Westfields.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Sweeney Bod wrote:From Stratford Station, (regional, central line), the quickest way to the ground is through Westfields.
Passed the West Ham shop, ideal for away fans to stop and stand in awe
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Righto

I passed the WHU shop in Romford last week. Deary me, the stock in the window is an embarrassment.

As for the Westfield and the OS, I can't see walking fans through the shopping centre lasting too long....unless somehow its possible to stop them drinking on the way to the ground.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

prophet:marginal wrote:Righto

I passed the WHU shop in Romford last week. Deary me, the stock in the window is an embarrassment.

As for the Westfield and the OS, I can't see walking fans through the shopping centre lasting too long....unless somehow its possible to stop them drinking on the way to the ground.
The supporters would not actually have to go into the main complex. I can not see how the police can stop any fans,(apart from away fans), walking to the ground via Westfields.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Great.... a McDonalds.

That should make everyone forget that we are playing in a half empty athletics **** hole