Standing areas at The Olympic Stadium

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Re: Standing areas at The Olympic Stadium

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Whitters wrote:
Problem is with point 2 is (probably) that most ST holders currently prefer to sit, it's just those in the BML/TBL/some parts of chicken run that prefer to stand, so it will in any case have to be somehow marketed by the club as a standing tolerated or singing area else there could be a huge problem. Not everyone reads fan forums such as this to be a part of such fan generated initiatives.
Fans forums and social media will get a large proportion of those that want to stand and sing together. Say you get 1,000 together soon enough everyone else will migrate to that area. Have to start somewhere don't we? The club won't tolerate a singing/standing area they don't care - it's up to us to sort out
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Let's hope Bristol C have started a Domino effect across the English leagues..:

Safe standing: Bristol City plan to install rail seats at Ashton Gate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26141427

Grays

Post by Grays »

We will never have it though.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Ashton Gate is getting those removable seats for rugby. I just can't see safe-standing happening.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Grays wrote:We will never have it though.
Why?

David Gold is keen on it.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

"Aston Villa keen to trial standing area at Villa Park"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26158044

Aston Villa have told the BBC that almost half the clubs in the Premier League are interested in reintroducing standing at their stadiums.

Villa have offered to conduct a trial of 'rail-seats' at Villa Park.
Grays

Post by Grays »

WestHamIFC wrote:Why?

David Gold is keen on it.
David Gold can put out all the soundbites he likes, West Ham as a club haven't put any support towards the idea whereas other notable clubs have.
Besides the Olympic Stadium won't be owned by us so I doubt they'll allow us to start changing to rail seating, especially as we probably wouldn't be keen on paying for it.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Denbighammer wrote:Ashton Gate is getting those removable seats for rugby. I just can't see safe-standing happening.
I went to the unveiling event at Bristol City today. The club want to install 4000 convertible rail seats for both football and rugby. The small block put in as a trial can only be used for rugby or non paying football fans (eg reserve game) as because Bristol Rovers have played for more than 3 years in the Championship regulations do not allow them to have standing areas. A club like say Carlisle could build a 20,000 capacity traditional terrace within the regulations.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Grays wrote:
David Gold can put out all the soundbites he likes, West Ham as a club haven't put any support towards the idea whereas other notable clubs have.
Besides the Olympic Stadium won't be owned by us so I doubt they'll allow us to start changing to rail seating, especially as we probably wouldn't be keen on paying for it.
So they let us put in Retractable Claret & Blue Seats, West Ham Statues & Plaques, a new roof, name the stands after Hammer Legends.... but they won't let us put in Rail Seats..??

Right. :?
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

brownout wrote:
I went to the unveiling event at Bristol City today. The club want to install 4000 convertible rail seats for both football and rugby. The small block put in as a trial can only be used for rugby or non paying football fans (eg reserve game) as because Bristol Rovers have played for more than 3 years in the Championship regulations do not allow them to have standing areas. A club like say Carlisle could build a 20,000 capacity traditional terrace within the regulations.
The things you learn on here.. :lol:
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Sorry I meant Bristol City.
Although for many years both Rovers & City were established old 2nd division teams.
yeoman

Post by yeoman »

the one single thing that could convince me that the move to the Olympic Stadium is a good idea would be the installation of rail seats / safe standing areas! YOU can do your bit, write to your MP, write to the chairmen of WHU and join the FSF's campaign! http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Grays wrote:
WestHamIFC wrote:So they let us put in Retractable Claret & Blue Seats, West Ham Statues & Plaques, a new roof, name the stands after Hammer Legends.... but they won't let us put in Rail Seats..??

Right. :?
Won't be having claret n blue seats, existing seats being re-used
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Brady specifically ruled out a standing area at the Athletics stadium during a Q&A at a SAB meeting .

I wouldn't listen too much to what Dave Gold says .He's nearly 80 .
OllyWHU6
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by OllyWHU6 »

Correct me if i'm wrong here then, but does that mean that if a club like Charlton or someone were to slip down the league to league 1 or 2, and during that season invest in converting a section of the stadium into a terrace with rail-seating they would be allowed to have rail-seating (as seats of course wink wink hush hush) accepted in the Championship without breaking the rules?
Grays

Post by Grays »

WestHamIFC wrote:So they let us put in Retractable Claret & Blue Seats
Retractable seating isn't just for our benefit, as for Claret & Blue seats I don't think so.
West Ham Statues & Plaques
These don't interfere with other events at The Stadium.
a new roof

Again not just for our benefit.
name the stands after Hammer Legends....
Again this won't interfere with other events at The Stadium.
but they won't let us put in Rail Seats..??
The lower tier for starters would be too shallow IMO for rail seating, I also doubt the club would get approval to permanently change the configuration of the ground for our sole benefit let alone actually pay for it.
Last edited by Grays on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Grays wrote: The lower tier for starters would be too shallow IMO for rail seating, I also doubt the club would get approval to permanently change the configuration of the ground for our sole benefit let alone actually pay for it.
IMO the question is timing, will there be approval to install rail seats in PL grounds BEFORE the contract is let for the seats and they are actually procured. I suspect that things will move too slowly for us, meaning it would be an expensive retro-fit.

If they were fitting rail-seats like Bristol City are looking at, there are seats that can be locked out of the way or lowered to sit on. I could see those being useful at other events, cricket you sit - some rugby fans are happy to stand for example.
Grays

Post by Grays »

We are only refitting the lower tier seats and I doubt that safe standing will be reintroduced and legalised by then.
Like I said the lower tier I reckon is to shallow, whilst I severely doubt standing sections will be implemented in the upper tiers.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Grays wrote:
Retractable seating isn't just for our benefit, as for Claret & Blue seats I don't think so.
Who else's benefit? Orient's?

The Rugby World Cup is before the Retractable Seats are installed, and I'm not aware of any Rugby plans after that..

I appreciate Gold is 80, but would he really state this if it wasn't true??:

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... s#p3793866
Der-Hammer wrote:looks like it will be just the retractable seats with C&B:
“@ChrisBlyth: will the olympic stadium seat colours stay as they currently are or changed to claret and blue?
The new ones will be C&B. dg
Grays

Post by Grays »

The stadium is looking to hold other events so retractable seating will 100% come in handy attracting other sports.
As for Gold I wouldn't listen to anything he says, comes out with new contradicting soundbites every week.