Retractable seating at the OS

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Re: Retractable seating at the OS

Post by eastsider »

[quote="StiffUpper"]Major difference I noticed is that our stand curve away from the straights where at Kiev the stand are square to them which is much better. You're nearer the edges on those sides.

The long jump triple jum pits are in that curve at the OS so if 1 or both of those stands were straightened then they'd have to be moved I imagine

Or could it be that at Kiev it is straightened from the widest part as of the OS so near the corners it is a bigger gap??
Looks like that could be the case looking at one of the photos??
Would be interesting to know as it looks massive and is circular on the outside also??
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

chelsea 1996 i think danny williamson scores for west ham, but look at the chelsea fans they are sitting on temporary seating while new stand was being built
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Chelsea's no yardstick. Didn't they used to park a motor on the side of their pitch?
bonzo hammers1975

Post by bonzo hammers1975 »

All I know is that whatever way you cut this, it quite clearly is not the right move for the club, we as fans must do something about this now before it is to late.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

prophet:marginal wrote:Chelsea's no yardstick. Didn't they used to park a motor on the side of their pitch?
Wasn't it s 3 wheeler or some such ****?
eastsider

Post by eastsider »

[quote="bonzo hammers1975"]All I know is that whatever way you cut this, it quite clearly is not the right move for the club, we as fans must do something about this now before it is to late.

Oh yes it is!!!! Fantastic move (IMO) :raver:
gayiron

Post by gayiron »

looking at this with a cold eye any retractable seating would have to be included in the initial construction. i think for any sort of effective system you could add 50 mill to the costs. if we are looking to do it a couple of years after the initial construction the same system would probably cost nearer 90 mill.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

eastsider wrote:

Oh yes it is!!!! Fantastic move (IMO)
Oh No It Isn't

I love pantomime
eastsider

Post by eastsider »

Sweeney Bod [quote="eastsider"]

Oh yes it is!!!! Fantastic move (IMO)
Oh No It Isn't

I love pantomime

As West Ham fans we are used to things being a bit of a pantomime!!! :wink:

BEHIND YOU!!
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Cant see us getting retractable seating in, cost would be far too much, cant see temporary seating working either - would look sh*t in a new stadium, doubts over timescale for putting it up and down.

Alas we will have whats being built now the money we do have to spend will go on adjustments to floodlights, catering facilities, toilets, corporate boxes, claret n blue seats, admin fees, segregation, branding, legal costs, staff costs, undersoil heating, and extended roof (it was £40m for the roof in its current format).

Be a case of make the best of it re viewing, majority of home fans to be pitch side (best views), can put away fans behind one goal and kids for a quid behind the other goal.
Hugh Jargon (Old)
Location: The Isle of Lesbos, Cuba- Tottenham redondo corriente con el pene que cuelga fuera

Post by Hugh Jargon (Old) »

Enginerred solution will be to have 6 temp seat structures (3 each end)

TWO corners and a middle section with from section close to the goal ala Upton Park. The two curved corner sections will sick out a bit but will be level with the goal (from the side) so views will not be compomised.

Therefore both ends on the original stadium are now obscured completely. It will look horrible from the blip view...solution?

Retractable roof that will cover the temp stands and protect from the weather. A series of stairs and corridors at the rear will provide a short walk to the existing catering facities/wcs in the stadium 'proper'.

A bespoke design with quality seats will look great. All removable in 2-3 days for the rare occasions it is to used as a athletics venue. This will be expensive but it will work. I invented this half way through todays game....bored shitless.

I now invite clever ****ers to illustrate with microsoft paint...(standing by.....Pardon?)
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hugh Jargon wrote:(All removable in 2-3 days)
Hugh, do you mean like mywhyfc's post on page 1 but with a retractable roof?

How is that removable in 2/3 days and how is a retractable roof engineered on top of a scaffolding rake?

Also, does it have to come down as quickly as that? How often do these athletic twats need the place?
Hugh Jargon (Old)
Location: The Isle of Lesbos, Cuba- Tottenham redondo corriente con el pene que cuelga fuera

Post by Hugh Jargon (Old) »

2-3 days was just an indication. As you allude to this would not be vital due to the expected low use for Athletics.

The roof would simply extend beyond the lip of the semi- perm stand or even across the whole pitch ala Cardiff.

Even the white seats could remain on the sides with claret and blue at the ends.

You see....in my small troubled mind I am convinced this will work- I need a structural engineer/architect to tell me otherwise or I will bang on about this until 2014. :lol:
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hugh Jargon wrote:2-3 days was just an indication. As you allude to this would not be vital due to the expected low use for Athletics.

The roof would simply extend beyond the lip of the semi- perm stand or even across the whole pitch ala Cardiff.

Even the white seats could remain on the sides with claret and blue at the ends.

You see....in my small troubled mind I am convinced this will work- I need a structural engineer/architect to tell me otherwise or I will bang on about this until 2014. :lol:
I think having an extendable roof would mean ripping the present one off. Their plans as I understand it are simply to make the present oval bigger meaning it won't cover any temporary seating behind the goals.

Maybe having a roof on that seating itself is the answer, but it means again more cost, more engineering and more time to put up/take down.

I think that there is some requirement about the time allowed to revert the stadium to an athletics facility, but I'm not sure how long that is. It will dictate the type of structure we will have.

The whole idea that we are now talking about scaffolding type of stands built on the running track without having a roof above our heads is the final proof, if any were needed, that the whole thing has become a pig's ear. The place needs knocking down and being rebuilt or being left to our athletics mates. Fact.
Yorkshire 'ammer

Post by Yorkshire 'ammer »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
N1Andy

Post by N1Andy »

Hugh Jargon wrote:2-3 days was just an indication. As you allude to this would not be vital due to the expected low use for Athletics.

Forget about retractable roofing - I doubt our entire converrsion budget would afford it. I actually think the roofing will be our biggest restricting factor, as the size of the span is immense and the current roof is rather flimsy. I have no idea how they'll solve this without taking a hefty share of our wedge.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

I don't think a retractable roof would fit into our budget. I would be interested to know how long the current roof would last.

If the current roof has a decent life span then surely an inner transluscent ring could be possible? This way the existing lighting towers could remain, hence saving us millions which could be spent on a new seating configuration.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Items 4 and 5 of 12 point pledge
4. We will retain the stadium's iconic look and feel, protecting the public investment, and make the venue even better.

5. We will create a 60,000-capacity, world-class venue with first-class views and luxury seating. We will put in a new roof to cover all seating and install world-class hospitality and customer facilities inside the stadium, along with family areas to encourage the next generation of West Ham supporters. We will also create major visitor attractions at the stadium.

New roof to cover all seating and retain iconic look of stadium. Tough job with temp seating to do that.
Rheo

Post by Rheo »

What people are forgetting is that WHFC is only a tenant of the Stadium Company. The major tenant, but WHFC doesn’t have sole usage.

Newham have different ideas on how the stadium’s to be used. In Newham’s bid they particularly state this -

“Our plans are based on the stadium being in use for 365 days a year - not just every other weekend for football matches. It's about having a total package that benefits the whole community. Schools will be able to hold their sports days in the stadium and there will be a dedicated sports science department. The stadium will be developed into a multi-use venue that will be able to offer accommodation for football, athletics, cricket, live entertainment events, community activities, private hire and more. This multi-use approach is about getting the most out of the venue while guaranteeing access for our residents. Our bid will also bring benefits for the Green Street area as the vacating of Upton Park football ground will act as a catalyst for the regeneration of this area.”

Any temporary seating over the track would have to have the ability to be removed quickly to allow other events to take place.

If we take this year for example, the football kicked off in early August when the athletics season was still in full swing. School sports days start mid-May onwards, again there’s still some football going on.

20/20 cricket's only just finished at the end of September.

There could be some interesting times ahead.

http://www.newham.gov.uk/2012Games/Olym ... idFAQs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kent Bubble Blower

Post by Kent Bubble Blower »

What do we make of this...
@DavidGoldWHU wrote:“@stewer7: @DavidGoldWHU any news about seats at olympic stadium,will they be closer to the pitch( please say yes )” not got it yet but yes