Retractable seating at the OS

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Re: Retractable seating at the OS

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Romford wrote: That's what I said - continuing upper tier down to pitch side will cover the current lower tier seats - the only tier designed to be permanent.
And they will need to be left there for the athletics meetings....the retractable seating will go over the top of the current lower tier[/quote]

there isn't enough height differential between the bottom of the top tier and pitch level. Just look at the distance between the boxes in the rio to the current pitch and compare that to the distance from where the upper tier ends at the Olympic Stadium and where pitchside at the Olympic Stadium would be and you can see the problem, the only way would be to have a lower tier that doesn't join the upper tier and leaves a large gap behind it otherwise those sitting in the lower tier will see f*** all because the stand will be far to shallow

Looking at pictures of the 2 stadiums it would appear that their is roughly 25 rows of seats in the bootom tier at the Olympic Stadium which is less than the bottom tier of the Rio although seeing I don't sit their I am happy to be corrected
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

There was something a while back about the rake of the lower tier being too low for football, not sure if it ever was confirmed though.
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

I'm sure that Sullivan and Gold will convince everyone that a couple of temp stands will solve the problem
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

This is how things appear to stand at present, this is gather from various news reports and the OPLC site.

1. The OPLC will welcome bids or joint bids for the main tenancy of the stadium ie rugby and PL football as at the Liberty Stadium Swansea. Bids can be for sporting, entertainment and/or cultural events,(this suggests we may be able to bid on more than just football). More than one bid may be successful where they are do do not clash.
2. Bids can be for any length tenancy up to 99yrs on any terms, fixed rent, part rent part revenue share etc.
3. Naming rights may be shared with the main tenants (presumably based on how much exposure they bring).
4. OPLC expect retractable seating to be paid for by those that want it (could be a bargaining position).
5. OPLC will reserve XX number of days for athletics and other events, 2 years notice will be given for any events that effect the main tenants, ie major athletics Championships.
6. Newham will probably put in their £40 million and be joint overall managers with OPLC.
7. A separate tender will be put out to find someone to carry the day to day management of the stadium after the tenancy bids are concluded.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Pop Robson wrote:There was something a while back about the rake of the lower tier being too low for football, not sure if it ever was confirmed though.
Bloke giving the tour on the Youtube video said something like that mate.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hammer110 wrote:This is how things appear to stand at present....
I think you've missed a big question out. Will the 'retractable' seating have a roof? If so, who pays for it?
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Hammer110 wrote:This is how things appear to stand at present, this is gather from various news reports and the OPLC site.

1. The OPLC will welcome bids or joint bids for the main tenancy of the stadium ie rugby and PL football as at the Liberty Stadium Swansea. Bids can be for sporting, entertainment and/or cultural events,(this suggests we may be able to bid on more than just football). More than one bid may be successful where they are do do not clash.
2. Bids can be for any length tenancy up to 99yrs on any terms, fixed rent, part rent part revenue share etc.
3. Naming rights may be shared with the main tenants (presumably based on how much exposure they bring).
4. OPLC expect retractable seating to be paid for by those that want it (could be a bargaining position).
5. OPLC will reserve XX number of days for athletics and other events, 2 years notice will be given for any events that effect the main tenants, ie major athletics Championships.
6. Newham will probably put in their £40 million and be joint overall managers with OPLC.
7. A separate tender will be put out to find someone to carry the day to day management of the stadium after the tenancy bids are concluded.
I think you'v covered most of it, but point 1 could turn into a legal issue as the OPLC have invited joint bids from both rugby and football clubs but it appears that Brady is under the impression that premier league clubs are no longer able to have their grounds used for both sports.
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Hammer110 wrote:This is how things appear to stand at present....
Doc H Ball wrote:
I think you've missed a big question out. Will the 'retractable' seating have a roof? If so, who pays for it?
Nope not missed it at all, no one mentions it anywhere in any of the reports, so any questions concerning the covering of any retractable seating is pure speculation. What I have posted are as near to the facts as is publicly available.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

Lets not forget there is going to be an extended roof installed at the OS.

I would say at this point there are no definitive plans set in place so lets wait and see.

Perhaps the extent of the roof is going to be a bargaining point for the anchor tenant!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:Lets not forget there is going to be an extended roof installed at the OS.

I would say at this point there are no definitive plans set in place so lets wait and see.

Perhaps the extent of the roof is going to be a bargaining point for the anchor tenant!
Has that been confirmed ?

£500M and the roof, seats, facilities all need extending or installing, sad to see it happening really
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Pop Robson wrote: Has that been confirmed ?

£500M and the roof, seats, facilities all need extending or installing, sad to see it happening really

Thank you, Ken Livingstone! Must be second only to the waste incurred in buying the bendy buses on which no-one ever paid their fare.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

LATEST FROM INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER

The Olympic Stadium will not be occupied by West Ham after the 2012 Games unless retractable seating is installed, according to the club's co-owner David Gold.

"We are not prepared to have fans sitting 60 yards from the pitch," he said. "We still want to move into the stadium but will not do so if the track remains uncovered. There has to be some form of retractable seating."

However, there is no provision to install seating of this natureby the Olympic Park Legacy Company. The deal to award West Ham the stadium collapsed last October when the OPLC ended negotiations.

The stadium remains in public ownership but talks on a new tenant will re-open this month.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

This is either the beginning of the get-out clause, or it's the Dave's trying to force the issue with OPLC.

I am hoping it's a get out clause.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Funny how sitting 60 yards from the pitch was not an issue originally...........if fact wasn't Brady saying
the exact opposite.

Now its a deal breaker unless somebody else pays for it. If we proceed with this OS bid, will someone be able to keep
tabs on how the monies are spent by the owners from the sale of the BG ?.

Funny old world.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

If this is true what's in The Independant today I am very happy, at last it seems as if they are recognising it isn't suitable for football, if we don't get the retractable seating we won't be moving.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

Dyer's Leg wrote:This is either the beginning of the get-out clause, or it's the Dave's trying to force the issue with OPLC.

I am hoping it's a get out clause.

that makes 2 of us I was excited about the prospect of moving in to the O.S, but not now as there just seem to be far to many obstacles to over come if G & S, are seriously having2nd thoughts about moving there then we should pull out now before it's to late and start looking at the alternitives.
Happyhammer

Post by Happyhammer »

I was not whole heartedly for the move, but know if clubs are to survive in the next decade, the need state of the art stadium with all the rail and road connection that are needed, so looks like spurs have done what they wanted stopped us from having it :x
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

miami-hammer wrote:Funny how sitting 60 yards from the pitch was not an issue originally...........if fact wasn't Brady saying
the exact opposite.

Now its a deal breaker unless somebody else pays for it. If we proceed with this OS bid, will someone be able to keep
tabs on how the monies are spent by the owners from the sale of the BG ?.

Funny old world.
Maybe they had it planned before, but were trying to keep it from The Scum's attention, unfortunately (alledgedly) there were spies!
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

If we are going to sign a long term lease at this place to the tune of 99 years or more then isn't it worth us investing in state of the art retractable seating for the stadium?

I was of the understanding that we were always going to have to pay for the seating..

I know the goal posts have been moved in terms of the original deal, but if this is to be our home then surely we need to invest in it?

The chairnans comments would suggest otherwise.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

They also suggest there is a lot of political gesturing going on, prior to the "Auction"