Retractable seating at the OS

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hammer Smith

Re: Retractable seating at the OS

Post by Hammer Smith »

Trouble is even if we can get retractable seating, will it look more like a meccano set than a state of the art stadium?
And what will this push the capacity up to?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

eastsider wrote:LATEST FROM INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER

The Olympic Stadium will not be occupied by West Ham after the 2012 Games unless retractable seating is installed, according to the club's co-owner David Gold.

"We are not prepared to have fans sitting 60 yards from the pitch," he said. "We still want to move into the stadium but will not do so if the track remains uncovered. There has to be some form of retractable seating."
If he isn't preapred to have fans sit 60 yards away from the field, are we having temporary seating on all four sides?
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Happyhammer wrote:I was not whole heartedly for the move, but know if clubs are to survive in the next decade, the need state of the art stadium with all the rail and road connection that are needed, so looks like spurs have done what they wanted stopped us from having it :x
which teams are going to out of business based on your argument happy, i would love to know the rationale for your statement
Happyhammer

Post by Happyhammer »

[quote="Francoisvander or else"][quote="Happyhammer"]I was not whole heartedly for the move, but know if clubs are to survive in the next decade, the need state of the art stadium with all the rail and road connection that are needed, so looks like spurs have done what they wanted stopped us from having it

which teams are going to out of business based on your argument happy, i would love to know the rationale for your statement

I'm saying all clubs will need the best transport systems especialy in london, and teams will go to the wall as football and most things get more expensive, so people want to get in and out within minuets and not hang around in the cold in ques for a poxy train. it's taken me about an hour and ten to get home from Upton Park station to laksideish. gone to central London in under an hour and missed the train to boot. this is ofcourse imho.
Francoisvander or else

You shouldn't live on a poxy branch line then should you :lol:
Happyhammer

Post by Happyhammer »

[quote="Francoisvander or else"]You shouldn't live on a poxy branch line then should you :

Fair enough.... but how do you explain the central London bit from a branch line :wink:
Francoisvander or else

Happyhammer wrote:You shouldn't live on a poxy branch line then should you :

Fair enough.... but how do you explain the central London bit from a branch line
Hopefully Boris will extend the Boris Bikes out to Newham so you will have no more problems getting into Central London quickly (unless your a fat lazy ****er) :)
Upton Larks

Post by Upton Larks »

How much scope is their really for people just deciding to support a football club, being enticed by good transport links, facilities, new stadium etc.. Doesn't work like that really? Heritage, family ties, friendship circles and tradition etc. makeup 90% of current and future fan base surely? ... I live in Birmingham, but my (now 9 month) old Son will support West Ham because I did, my Grandad did, his Dad did etc.
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

Upton Larks wrote:How much scope is their really for people just deciding to support a football club, being enticed by good transport links, facilities, new stadium etc.. Doesn't work like that really? Heritage, family ties, friendship circles and tradition etc. makeup 90% of current and future fan base surely? ... I live in Birmingham, but my (now 9 month) old Son will support West Ham because I did, my Grandad did, his Dad did etc.
I don't think what we'll get will be supporters/fans in the sense we would understand it. What we might get is "I'd like to see a footie game - that Olympic Stadium is easy to get to and they're playing [insert name of big team] soon and tickets are cheap and easy to get so we'll go to that."
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Devils Advocate wrote:I don't think what we'll get will be supporters/fans in the sense we would understand it. What we might get is "I'd like to see a footie game - that Olympic Stadium is easy to get to and they're playing [insert name of big team] soon and tickets are cheap and easy to get so we'll go to that."
At the start, yes, but the hope would be that over time at least some of those people would start feeling allegiance to us, buy the shirt for their kids, and ouala, you have an expanded supporter base.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

gavrosh wrote:at the start, yes, but the hope would be that over time at least some of those people would start feeling allegiance to us, buy the shirt for their kids, and ouala, you have an expanded supporter base.
And ouala you have a deluded fan. :wink:
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Upton Larks wrote:How much scope is their really for people just deciding to support a football club, being enticed by good transport links, facilities, new stadium etc.. Doesn't work like that really?
Golden rule in football is it's better/easier to keep the fans you have rather than find/attracting new ones.

Yet our mob seem to think the exact opposite. :?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

The OS will be a Day Tripper/Tourist venue, especially if we're in the Premier League, if not they'll turn up and leave after half time
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

The Moth wrote:Golden rule in football is it's better/easier to keep the fans you have rather than find/attracting new ones.

Yet our mob seem to think the exact opposite. :?
Actually its a golden rule of any business not just football that its easier to keep your existing customers.

Do they? Or do they know the market better than the average fan, if I was a betting man I would be willing to bet that the number of fans who stop attending matches because of the O/S would be insignificant, assuming some form of seating covers at least a good proportion of the track.
MEM

Post by MEM »

Hammer110 wrote: Golden rule in football is it's better/easier to keep the fans you have rather than find/attracting new ones.

Yet our mob seem to think the exact opposite.

Actually its a golden rule of any business not just football that its easier to keep your existing customers.

Do they? Or do they know the market better than the average fan, if I was a betting man I would be willing to bet that the number of fans who stop attending matches because of the O/S would be insignificant, assuming some form of seating covers at least a good proportion of the track.

110 I hope you are not suggesting that Pinky is................. insignificant :wink:
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

MEM wrote:
110 I hope you are not suggesting that Pinky is................. insignificant
:lol:

Actually I have a lot a time for what he says even if we don't necessarily agree.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Hammer110 wrote:

problem is the club have done no study into this so have no idea how many they may lose. Relegation cost over 4,000 fans from the season ticket list, a major upheaval like this could account for the same or more
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

This move may lose a few fans but it will also gain a few, but many more will come back to watching the club on a casual basis as tickets will be more readily available.

Buying tickets for home games against the top clubs has always been a pain in the arse for the casual fan.
Francoisvander or else

Mr_Andersonn wrote:This move may lose a few fans but it will also gain a few, but many more will come back to watching the club on a casual basis as tickets will be more readily available.

Buying tickets for home games against the top clubs has always been a pain in the arse for the casual fan.
the casual fans won't be a lot of good if we get relegated (presuming we get promoted)
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

mywhufc wrote: problem is the club have done no study into this so have no idea how many they may lose. Relegation cost over 4,000 fans from the season ticket list, a major upheaval like this could account for the same or more
I think you'll find they'll have a better handle on the potential losses and whether they can be made up for than you think!

Interestingly you say about the loss of 4000 season ticket holders due to relegation, given that our average attendances are only down by a similar amount means either few day trippers have stopped going (unlikely) or that many of those season ticket holders are still going.