Retractable seating at the OS

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Re: Retractable seating at the OS

Post by Doc H Ball »

mywhufc wrote:pigs ear, sows purse springs to mind
We are where we are.

2 covered sides by the pitch is as much as I'm hoping for now mate. That or a miracle.
gavind
Total likes: 1 like

Post by gavind »

I pointed out about to Ian Tompkins a year ago that if the pitch was rotated by 90 degrees that the side seating in the IS is almost perfectly placed to be the ends... Thus leaving plenty of space for a temporary seating structure in both the sides.

The down side is how we get grass over the running track... Or maybe we have to invent a system so the track gies over the grass.

But now they say only every 4 years.. Not that often really is it.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

gavind wrote: The down side is how we get grass over the running track... Or maybe we have to invent a system so the track gies over the grass.

I don't think the track could go over the grass - the track needs a complex foundation to it and it's built up in a number of layers. The pitch has got to be relaid anyway (draining and irrigation systems), so if it is raised it could cover the track at the ends. This could be removed within 4 days (which I think was the required turnaround time stated somewhere to change from football to athletics mode). In one of the threads last year there were links to the cricket squares being moved in and out of rugby grounds in Oz? Wembley moves the pitch and tarmacs it when they have the motor racing there.

The 4 years quote is for hosting potential World Championships - athletics still want to use it for a (small) number of times each year and then there's cricket and Madonna.

Not sure what the capacity will be rotating the pitch. From the mock up and assuming the lines drawn from the corners of the temporary stands to the bottom of the lower tier are sight lines, that's a lot of existing seats lost. Assuming the blocks of seats are even all the way round - there's 56 blocks in total and we'll only be using 20 of them. Also in the 20 blocks we'll be using will be all the corporate stuff so you'll probably be ending up with permanent seating of about 25,000. I don't think you'd get much more than 15,000 in temporary seating. However it needs a proper mock-up done with the pitch to scale and the temp stands in the correct place.
Stringey
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Stringey »

The one reason the club won't go for this is the corporate hospitality areas that will cover all areas of the ground once we take it over. They probably wouldn't want to put them into temp stands as they wouldn't maximize their revenue streams. Its all about money, moving to this stadium.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

gavind wrote:I pointed out about to Ian Tompkins a year ago that if the pitch was rotated by 90 degrees that the side seating in the IS is almost perfectly placed to be the ends... Thus leaving plenty of space for a temporary seating structure in both the sides.

The down side is how we get grass over the running track... Or maybe we have to invent a system so the track gies over the grass.

Pointless putting up with a crap view and temp stands just so athletics can happen every there every 4 yrs
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Pop Robson wrote:
Pointless putting up with a crap view and temp stands just so athletics can happen every there every 4 yrs
if we do go, and if we hold the worlds, then surely since they are the only 2 big championships the stadium would be likely to hold the track wouldn't be needed after 2017. We could then demolish the stadium using some of the seating and put it round the warm up track. We then build a football stadium and uk athletics get a nice little stadium for their minority sport still in Stratford, job done.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

mywhufc wrote: if we do go, and if we hold the worlds, then surely since they are the only 2 big championships the stadium would be likely to hold the track wouldn't be needed after 2017. We could then demolish the stadium using some of the seating and put it round the warm up track. We then build a football stadium and uk athletics get a nice little stadium for their minority sport still in Stratford, job done.
So I could start going again to watch us at home in a proper stadium by 2020 maybe?!

Who'd be paying for all that though? This Arab billionaire we're getting who'll be happy to plough millions to convert a stadium that's already fine with great views of the action and atmosphere retention that we're already selling out whilst top of the table as the OS was such a great move I suppose? I'm sure they'll see the logic in such an expensive yet necessary tear down and start again when things are going so well..... :?
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

hadleighhammer wrote:
So I could start going again to watch us at home in a proper stadium by 2020 maybe?!

Who'd be paying for all that though? This Arab billionaire we're getting who'll be happy to plough millions to convert a stadium that's already fine with great views of the action and atmosphere retention that we're already selling out whilst top of the table as the OS was such a great move I suppose? I'm sure they'll see the logic in such an expensive yet necessary tear down and start again when things are going so well.....
You take everything out of context... this why I put you on block for so long...

Did I say it would definitely happen? No I said someone said on here that investors are being lined up when we return to the PL

You've taken that twisted it in your head and now you don't stop making up stories about it. :asleep:
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Pop Robson wrote:
Not sure of the gripe Pop, don't you remember that us West Ham fans were consulted apparently!!

The only winners out of this are UKA, Spurs who got what they wanted (extra cash from the government to redevlop WHL) and Gullivan who will no doubt sell up to some arab within 3-4 years and cash in!

It's just crazy to think that we will be moving to a brand new stadium that actually needs temporary seating added so that we can get people to turn up, madness!
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

paulhs1 wrote:
Not sure of the gripe Pop, don't you remember that us West Ham fans were consulted apparently!!

The only winners out of this are UKA, Spurs who got what they wanted (extra cash from the government to redevlop WHL) and Gullivan who will no doubt sell up to some arab within 3-4 years and cash in!

It's just crazy to think that we will be moving to a brand new stadium that actually needs temporary seating added so that we can get people to turn up, madness!
Where was this said? Where have they said they've consulted the fans over the Olympic Stadium?

It's crazy to think turning up in an Athletics stadium and needing to modify the seats for football? Are you serious why is that crazy?

Also our owners have already said they are running the club until the end of their days.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Post by hadleighhammer »

The Rebirth wrote: You take everything out of context... this why I put you on block for so long...

Did I say it would definitely happen? No I said someone said on here that investors are being lined up when we return to the PL

You've taken that twisted it in your head and now you don't stop making up stories about it. :asleep:
You don't half think a lot of yourself. That wasn't anything to do with you. Have a read of the Upton Park Bus Garage thread for one example you'll see I ain't making anything anything up or taking out of context at all.

I've never said anyone said it will definitely happen, that's the whole point, people (i.e. numerous people, not just you) are living in hope of something that is unlikely (i.e. wishful thinking).
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Post by hadleighhammer »

The Rebirth wrote: Where was this said? Where have they said they've consulted the fans over the Olympic Stadium?
4th paragraph;
http://www.whufc.com/articles/20110121/ ... 84_2273143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's crazy to think turning up in an Athletics stadium and needing to modify the seats for football? Are you serious why is that crazy?
I fully agree. Shame we haven't got the money to make any serious modifications (i.e. removal of running track).
Also our owners have already said they are running the club until the end of their days.
They said we sere signing Neymar, Beckham, Henry, etc. What this lot say and what they do are two completely different things so I'd take that with a shovel of salt.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

The Rebirth wrote:
Where was this said? Where have they said they've consulted the fans over the Olympic Stadium?[/quote]

I'm quite surprised you are even raising this issue, as these comments were openly made by David Sullivan just before the decision was made and splashed all across a double page spread article in the evening standard and metro newspapers!

I'm sure TPP and others on here will back this up, in fact TPP started a thread entitles "Hands up - who was consulted" in response to Sullivans claims!!!
The Rebirth wrote: It's crazy to think turning up in an Athletics stadium and needing to modify the seats for football? Are you serious why is that crazy??
I did not say what you have quoted, I said......"It's just crazy to think that we will be moving to a brand new stadium that actually needs temporary seating added". Moving to a stadium to make up grades is fine, but moving to brand new stadium that then requires temporary seating added and then removed out of season is a complete nonsense by any stretch!
The Rebirth wrote:Also our owners have already said they are running the club until the end of their days.
And you believe them?I do not believe a thing these owners come out with!
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard- ... ns-name.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

hadleighhammer wrote:
They said we sere signing Neymar, Beckham, Henry, etc. What this lot say and what they do are two completely different things so I'd take that with a shovel of salt.
Cheers HH & Paul

I think the 4th paragraph is a very 'wooly' paragraph they are saying they are continuing with fan feedback but they haven't said they've actually consulted us (they know we know there has been no forum etc). This could be a reference to when they opened up the lines to Mr Tompkins?

With regards to Neymar etc according to Trap they were pursuing these moves. They didn't come off as the owners have said previously about 1 in 10 happen in the transfer market (or something around that figure)

Also with the running track we're fully committed to keeping it so I am waiting for the designs to come out and proper consultations to happen (which haven't) I was chomping at the bit with Ian Tompkins.

I do agree with you with the living in hope comments but until I have any reason to believe otherwise I will stand by the owners of our club. I find it funny that West Ham fans stand by a home grown player like Collison who is not performing and not that good if I'm honest but our owners do not get the same level of support from our fans when they're feelings are pretty much like mine with regards to Collison.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

The Rebirth wrote:
I believe Gold has gone as far as saying that he has made provision safe keeping of the club after he has popped his clogs.

I can understand people not being happy with a stadium with a running track round the pitch, potential lack of atmosphere etc etc.
But I am baffled by those who are so strong on their opinion that it will be a disaster for the club, the two Daves probably make more in year than most of us will in our lifetimes and with Brady have been in the business of running football clubs for nearly 20 years and I just don't see them taking us to the O/S on a whim and a prayer!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Just read Brady's saturday column in the Sun, the track is there forever.

So much she said it twice in the article.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Hammer110 wrote: I can understand people not being happy with a stadium with a running track round the pitch, potential lack of atmosphere etc etc.
But I am baffled by those who are so strong on their opinion that it will be a disaster for the club
Hammer110... You have just answered your own question in the same sentence, we are moving to an athletics stadium with potentially no atmosphere is that not justification enough to think it will be a disaster for the club?
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

paulhs1 wrote:
Hammer110... You have just answered your own question in the same sentence, we are moving to an athletics stadium with potentially no atmosphere is that not justification enough to think it will be a disaster for the club?
How many more times!! this part is down to US.

You could say that BG has no atmosphere regularly... in fact other fans have said it to me.

Why is this always used as a point against moving to the OS is beyond me.

1 maybe 2 games a year you get a wall of noise at the BG.

Disaster for the club? Please explain how this could be a disaster for our club and what you think could realistically happen to us because of this move.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

The Rebirth wrote:How many more times!! this part is down to US.

You could say that BG has no atmosphere regularly... in fact other fans have said it to me.

Why is this always used as a point against moving to the OS is beyond me.

1 maybe 2 games a year you get a wall of noise at the BG.

Disaster for the club? Please explain how this could be a disaster for our club and what you think could realistically happen to us because of this move.
I've mentioned before but the away fans can't hear the TBL or Corner at the BG that's why they think theirs no singing.
In fact our ground has a pretty decent atmosphere all things considered.
Even you must admit that the setup of the OS makes an atmosphere very very unlikely, we probably won't be able to hear the other side of the ground in reality.
Also the sort of fan G&S want to attract will have no interest in creating an atmosphere.