Upton Park Bus Garage

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Romford
Big X

Upton Park Bus Garage

Post by Romford »

Closed last Friday....

Opens up options for the East Stand again.

8-)
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Re: Upton Park Bus Garage

Post by EvilC »

It's a shame this didn't happen a few years ago really. :|
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Cor the times I collected bus numbers there when I was a kid...

:oops:

Or nipped through there on the way home from the game only to be shouted at by the people inside. Not much changed there really.

lolz
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

It could massively strengthen our hand. If we were granted planning permission and could sort the stadium for a similar outlay to what the OS will cost we could say to the OS - let Spurs have it. They obviously don't want it because it has to keep the track...there doing! hahahaha! Everyones a winner.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Would love to build a new East Stand and stay at the Boleyn, but its not going to happen, not unless we don't get the OS.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

I would love for us to be able to develop the East Stand and give us more capacity and stop us from moving to the OS, but I can't see it happening unfortunately :thdn:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Shame but I think the redevelopment boat has already sailed. Might be a nice little wild card if the OS doesn't go smoothly though...
WCW66
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by WCW66 »

It's not just the bus garage that's the issue though is it - it's also the three blocks of flats behind the east not being deprived of light or something.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

WCW66 wrote:It's not just the bus garage that's the issue though is it - it's also the three blocks of flats behind the east not being deprived of light or something.
I can't believe the club have even thought about redeveloping the East while trying to push through our trip to the athletic stadium.
it would be nice if the club would look at it and give the fans the 2 different options to choose, but then it would cost the club more to redevelop the east than move into Stratford. No government handout in staying at the Boleyn.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I have absolutely no doubt the redevelopment of the East stand will be one of the fallback options should the proposed move to Stratford fail to materialise .At a stroke the number of executive boxes could be doubled - which would supercharge the clubs matchday takings .

We also know the Mayor of London is happy to fund around £8m to upgrade tube stations ( which is the bribe he's offered Spurs to stay in Harringay) .

Messers Gold and Sullivan are though seriously worried about the loss of Corporate sales should another club move into the OS .

Be in no doubt were that to happen it could cost us millions .
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

the pink palermo wrote:I have absolutely no doubt the redevelopment of the East stand will be one of the fallback options should the proposed move to Stratford fail to materialise .At a stroke the number of executive boxes could be doubled - which would supercharge the clubs matchday takings .

We also know the Mayor of London is happy to fund around £8m to upgrade tube stations ( which is the bribe he's offered Spurs to stay in Harringay) .

Messers Gold and Sullivan are though seriously worried about the loss of Corporate sales should another club move into the OS .

Be in no doubt were that to happen it could cost us millions .
No other top football club wants it, and as spurs got their planning permission today for ***** hart lane they won't be wanting it either.
Genuine question
What's more worrying spurs in redeveloped WHL and us in the Boleyn with new east stand
Spurs in Stratford us in the Boleyn with east redeveloped
Spurs in redeveloped WHL us in stratford, track and all.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

mywhufc wrote:No other top football club wants it, and as spurs got their planning permission today for s***e hart lane they won't be wanting it either.
Genuine question
What's more worrying spurs in redeveloped WHL and us in the Boleyn with new east stand
Spurs in Stratford us in the Boleyn with east redeveloped
Spurs in redeveloped WHL us in stratford, track and all.
The one in bold is what concerns the owners - and should concern us .It's not about you or I and what we do with our ticket money , it's the Corporate cash : the OS will be a magnet for Corporate money - regardless of whether there is a track there or not .

If Spurs do go ahead with redevloping the Lane , I would think G&S would be far more comfortable with us not getting Stratford : a redevloped Boleyn would still get it's share of the Corporate dollar .

To give you an idea of the imprtance of the Corporate stuff in relation to matchday takings - (not sponsorship, or naming rights ) - Everton have 5,000 more seats than Spurs, yet generate less than hlaf the amount of money per home game than Spurs do .

Everton £700k per game
Spurs £1.5m per game
Arsenal £3.5m per game
Man Utd £3.6m per game

It's not too fanciful to be projecting matchday income of around £3 m per game in the OS for whoever gets it .That's roughly treble what we currently receive .

I'm opposed to the move by the way , but I'll acknowledge what we could be giving up in terms of opportunity , and potentially presenting to another club .I know Spurs don't want the stadium - they want the infrastructure and the real estate , and were we to withdraw our interest I have no doubt Spurs would relocate to Stratford - it wouldn't bother me , but it would cost us money .
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

I dont much like the idea of watching football from the distance of at least a running track myself (if it comes to that - the noises that are being heard continue to suggest a demountable seating plan, at least behind the goals). look at the two future options though

1. We are in Stratford, Spurs at WHL: I genuinely think we could become one of the biggest clubs in the country, certainly bigger than Spurs over time.

2. We stay in UP, Spurs move to Stratford: without any doubt in my mind, we become at best a Championship team, permanently, while the Spuds push on to become a big club (as in a big club, not a Spud 'we are a big club').

Sorry but as much as its not perfect, option 1 is infinitely better for me.
Gazzaloz
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Gazzaloz »

Plus we'd have to pay to redevelop Upton Park tube if we expand the Boleyn any further.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

I saw Mr Kahn put this to Mr Gold on Twitter and was given short and simple 'None' as in chances we stay (now that garage is closed!)
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Gazzaloz wrote:Plus we'd have to pay to redevelop Upton Park tube if we expand the Boleyn any further.
Maybe, maybe not. Spurs were offered some dough by their council to redevelop the station near WHL. Don't see why we should be treated any differently?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

gavrosh wrote:I dont much like the idea of watching football from the distance of at least a running track myself (if it comes to that - the noises that are being heard continue to suggest a demountable seating plan, at least behind the goals). look at the two future options though

1. We are in Stratford, Spurs at WHL: I genuinely think we could become one of the biggest clubs in the country, certainly bigger than Spurs over time.

2. We stay in UP, Spurs move to Stratford: without any doubt in my mind, we become at best a Championship team, permanently, while the Spuds push on to become a big club (as in a big club, not a Spud 'we are a big club').

Sorry but as much as its not perfect, option 1 is infinitely better for me.
There is a ton of doubt in my mind about us becoming a Championship club permanently.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Evil C can I ask why?
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

The Rebirth wrote:I saw Mr Kahn
dont get called that to often, or see it it spelt right :lol:
The Rebirth wrote:put this to Mr Gold on Twitter and was given short and simple 'None' as in chances we stay (now that garage is closed!)
I asked him 2 questions yesterday that answer could have been for either to be honest.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

The fact is the last application to redevelop the East stand was withdrawn when it was on the verge of being approved, it appears there were no planning issues otherwise it wouldn't have been recommended for approval by both the LA and Mayors Office. The cost of meeting the local transport infrastructure costs were put at a £1 million, so did they just change their mind or did it turn out to be not cost effective?