Taster at Roma

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

cornishiron
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Taster at Roma

Post by cornishiron »

I went to see Roma v Sienna last week, they play in the old Olympic Stadium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadio_Olimpico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The attendance was £30,000 (capacity: 73,000). The home semi-cicular end was full; sides upper mostly full and a third full; other end centre half full; and the rest empty. The players were a long long way away and I was about half way up the stand. The armosphere was surprisingly good, largely because the Roma fans were brilliant.. loud and passionate through the entire fairly mediocre game. The contrast at UP on Saturday was frankly embarrassing. If we can't create an atmosphere at UP I fear the Stratford experience could be pretty dire.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: Taster at Roma

Post by HammerMan2004 »

It's a shame we can't put the big TVs in the same place they have them at that ground, it'd save us having empty seats above/behind them.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Another crazy fact...at no point have either Roma or Lazio got attendances anywhere near the capacity...

2001–02 59,402 42,684
2002–03 57,160 44,129
2003–04 55,413 49,341
2004–05 49,631 37,516
2005–06 39,726 27,872
2006–07 38,689 25,048
2007–08 35,982 21,607
2008–09 39,396 34,626
2009–10 40,925 36,154
2010–11 33,952 29,122
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

The straights of that stadium are just fractionally wider than the running track, whereas if you look at the OS, for some batshit reason the straights are about a running track and a half wider than the running track itself. For that reason, i think they need to add demountable seating at the sides as well as the ends of the pitch.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

I was watching highlights of the FC Bate v Barca game last night in Bulgaria. Forgetting the usual debate about viewing distances, it reminded me of another reason I hate tracked stadiums. On a rainy night, the vast expanse behind the goals just look Cold War, grey and depressing.

But good news for FC Bate, they have the sense to plan this.

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

cornishiron wrote:I went to see Roma v Sienna last week, they play in the old Olympic Stadium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadio_Olimpico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The attendance was £30,000 (capacity: 73,000). The home semi-cicular end was full; sides upper mostly full and a third full; other end centre half full; and the rest empty. The players were a long long way away and I was about half way up the stand. The armosphere was surprisingly good, largely because the Roma fans were brilliant.. loud and passionate through the entire fairly mediocre game. The contrast at UP on Saturday was frankly embarrassing. If we can't create an atmosphere at UP I fear the Stratford experience could be pretty dire.
The OS holds 80,000 and unless they re-site all the seats to make it 60,000 (which was mentioned a while, but later changed), we'll end up with a freezing cold and silent 30,000 for a winters night game, with 50,000 empty seats.

Unless massive success happens I can't see anything good coming out of it.

More debt too with the £40 loan from Newham.
Kent Bubble Blower

Post by Kent Bubble Blower »

Pop Robson wrote:More debt too with the £40 loan from Newham.
I could stump them up another tenner for chairs, on good rates, too! :wink:
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

It aint West Ham's debt, its the debt of the Stadium Company. The terms of payment and ownership of the SC havent been released yet (the main reason for confusion over the 'loan to West Ham' and 'public subsidy' argument of the Spuds) but I guess the loan portion will be paid from West Ham revenues and after that West Ham keep their revenues to themselves, with both West Ham and Newham collecting the non-football revenues jointly.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

gavrosh wrote:It aint West Ham's debt, its the debt of the Stadium Company. The terms of payment and ownership of the SC havent been released yet (the main reason for confusion over the 'loan to West Ham' and 'public subsidy' argument of the Spuds) but I guess the loan portion will be paid from West Ham revenues and after that West Ham keep their revenues to themselves, with both West Ham and Newham collecting the non-football revenues jointly.
If I remember correctly we along with UK athletics (and maybe others) will be tenants in some form or other of the Stadium Company and will pay a rent for our use of the stadium. The Stadium Company will pay the loan back out of it's profits, once the loan is repaid profits will be split amongst the stakeholders ie us and the council. The Dave's are believed to have agreed to underwrite the loan should insufficient income be generated.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

So all OK then it's going to be the best thing the club have ever done ? !
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Pop Robson wrote:So all OK then it's going to be the best thing the club have ever done ? !
Nobody knows though do they Pop? You will probably say it is likely to be the worst thing, some will likely say it will be the best thing. Until we do it, nobody has the foggiest, just opinion.

It's a shame, because I don't think you would go to the OS and give it a try, your mind is already made up whatever. It's happening, (unless Spurs get their way), and while I ain't saying just lump it, at least now give it a fair crack of the whip, be magnanimious in defeat, and go like the rest of us, the pro's and the anti's, with an open mind.

Things move on mate, and sometimes, as hard as it is, it just has to be accepted at some point or you cut your nose off to spite your face sometimes.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

We can not know for sure what the future will hold at the OS. Perhaps West Ham fans are different and it will be a total success. But I tend to look at precedent. Practically every major team in Germany are leaving,left or rebuilding their oval stadiums. Juventus have done the same in Italy, and Lazio want to move to a new Stadium. French Rugby want to leave the Stade de France because, despite it having retractable seats, spectators still complain about the site lines. In Spain, no major club play at an oval stadium, and in fact Espanyol refused to stay at the Barcelona OS. In Montreal, their OS is still called the Big Owe, and their MLB team moved out. LA has two stadiums with over 90,000 seats, but can not attract an NFL team unless they build a non-oval stadium.,left,

But stick up a couple of scaffolding stands, and we will be happy as pig in ****. We are West Ham, and we say pah to what the rest of the world experienced before.

I will go, I will give it a chance, but I am not optimistic.
e1hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by e1hammer »

Sweeney Bod wrote: I will go, I will give it a chance, but I am not optimistic.
There is no going back, we can't afford people to have this attitude.

Oh and for the record the new Juventus stadium is very much square - http://www.blogdolcevita.com/post/1196/ ... b-in-turin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lets wait and see if Spurs save us with the judicial review, if not I think a proper campaign will be needed......
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

e1hammer wrote:
There is no going back, we can't afford people to have this attitude.

Oh and for the record the new Juventus stadium is very much square - http://www.blogdolcevita.com/post/1196/ ... b-in-turin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lets wait and see if Spurs save us with the judicial review, if not I think a proper campaign will be needed......
Sorry mate, perhaps I did not make myself clear. I was using the example of Juve to highlight teams that have moved from an oval stadium. I hate with all my heart the proposed move to the OS. I have been one of the leading anti move on here, but I can not say that I will not go to the first game there. If my fears are confirmed, it will also be my last.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

e1hammer wrote:There is no going back, we can't afford people to have this attitude.
The attitude isn't the problem. If the stadium is good then that attitude will disappear, if it is crap, the problem will be a crap stadium, not a bad attitude from supporters.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

For all of you saying you will go 'give it a try' are not going to be won over.

You need to think about the bigger picture and not just yourself to really get a feel for it.

Also as mentioned 100x before it will be souless if WE make it souless. Nobody else is to blame for that not the shape not the running track.

Once the kids come back in I reckon the stadium will be rocking.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

The Rebirth wrote:For all of you saying you will go 'give it a try' are not going to be won over.

You need to think about the bigger picture and not just yourself to really get a feel for it.

Also as mentioned 100x before it will be souless if WE make it souless. Nobody else is to blame for that not the shape not the running track.

BOLLOX :lol:

I have conceeded that I will give it a try, so be content with that. I do not want to move, but I know, barring a miracle, I have to. I really do not need someone else to tell be how I should react, behave or feel. Trust me I have looked at the big picture, and it is still ****. I am not some Johnny come lately, I have followed this club through thick and thin, but we all have our limits.

I pay close on £150 for every home game we go to, (only missed Portsmouth this season), so I feel justified in saying "I will give it a go" before I shell out the same again.
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

:D

That's fine mate all I am saying is you put a positive and follow up with a negative.

Sub subconsciously your mind is already made up. You will hate it.

Fair play paying that much to go to a game mate fair play indeed.

At least you're going to give it a go and you cannot ask for more than that really given how much you spend already.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

The Rebirth wrote:For all of you saying you will go 'give it a try' are not going to be won over.

If you can't get E13 9AZ rocking, you ain't going to do it in E20.

We've had more cheap kids games in the last season and 1/4 and it ain't been rocking. Those days have long gone now
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

Pop Robson wrote:
If you can't get E13 9AZ rocking, you ain't going to do it in E20.

We've had more cheap kids games in the last season and 1/4 and it ain't been rocking. Those days have long gone now
I suppose you're right Pop but still even if they don't sing getting the kids in is still a priority they're the future.

Thing is people keep using the Souless Bowl argument they're forgetting that the only reason it would be souless is partly down to them.

Still I look forward to the designs whenever we are clear to go public with them!!