Do we need to publicly protest the Olymic Stadium move?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Jiminy_Cricket

Do we need to publicly protest the Olymic Stadium move?

Post by Jiminy_Cricket »

The mods may choose to put this in the Olympic Thread but I wanted to post it here for maximum response. The more I hear about the Olympic Stadium shambles the less I like it. It now appares we can only "rent" the Stadium on a yearly bases and this worries me no end as if for what ever reason the lease was rejected then this would leave us without a home and would destroy the club. Also we seem to have no control over the stadium so we may not be able to brand the stadium and make it feel like a home or explore the whole seating debacale.

Whilst before I was determined to be optimistic about the move I now really fear it will kill our club and we will indeed be left with a souless corprate stadium. I'm all for progression but this whole subservant, finger in their approach is really starting to worry me.

I wanted to know if anyone would be up for a demonstration or maybe a few outside Upton Park on non-match day or even a staged sit in on a match day to publicly speak out as the board seem to of convinced the media that the majority of the fans are on board when in reality we aren't. Suggestions are welcome.

At least we can say we tried to do "something" rather than just moan and resign oursleves to playing in the "Spunk Bowl" come 2014

:crest:
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Re: Do we need to publicly protest the Olymic Stadium move?

Post by MD_HM »

Jiminy_Cricket wrote:The mods may choose to put this in the Olympic Thread but I wanted to post it here for maximum response. The more I hear about the Olympic Stadium shambles the less I like it. It now appares we can only "rent" the Stadium on a yearly bases and this worries me no end as if for what ever reason the lease was rejected then this would leave us without a home and would destroy the club. Also we seem to have no control over the stadium so we may not be able to brand the stadium and make it feel like a home or explore the whole seating debacale.

Whilst before I was determined to be optimistic about the move I now really fear it will kill our club and we will indeed be left with a souless corprate stadium. I'm all for progression but this whole subservant, finger in their approach is really starting to worry me.

I wanted to know if anyone would be up for a demonstration or maybe a few outside Upton Park on non-match day or even a staged sit in on a match day to publicly speak out as the board seem to of convinced the media that the majority of the fans are on board when in reality we aren't. Suggestions are welcome.

At least we can say we tried to do "something" rather than just moan and resign oursleves to playing in the "Spunk Bowl" come 2014

:crest:
NO - as there is a split opinion on the move

NO - as we dont know the details of the move (how can we say no without seeing what it will look like?)
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

MD_HM wrote: NO - as we dont know the details of the move (how can we say no without seeing what it will look like?)
To some fans including myself it doesn't matter what it looks like. As long at there's a running track it will always be a no
MD_HM

Post by MD_HM »

Yea Why Not wrote:
To some fans including myself it doesn't matter what it looks like. As long at there's a running track it will always be a no

What if they covered the running track with seats?

What if there was a running track in place but after 2017 we were allowed to remove it?

Under those conditions would you still say no?
paulhs1
Has liked: 1726 likes
Total likes: 1480 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

MD_HM wrote: What if they covered the running track with seats?

What if there was a running track in place but after 2017 we were allowed to remove it?

Under those conditions would you still say no?
It's all if's but's and maybes'. And im not sure we are split I think base on the this forum in the last two days it's more like 80% against with the rest for or undecided.
e1hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by e1hammer »

YES.

But we campaign efficiently and try and bring in a broad base of supporters with different skills. I have a lot of respect for the chaps that ran the campaign before however they did it quietly. We need a campaign that people can get involved with.

I would hold fire for now and wait until we see the clubs proposals (indeed if there even will be any - fingers crossed) then we should hold a public meeting so those who oppose the move can get together and start a more rounded campaign. In these days of twitter and facebook you still need people outside Upton Park handing out leaflets and stickers. You need to fundraise as these things aren’t cheap and you need to agree a campaign committee.

I work as a campaign organiser for a political party and am more than willing to help the campaign.
MD_HM

Post by MD_HM »

paulhs1 wrote:
It's all if's but's and maybes'. And im not sure we are split I think base on the this forum in the last two days it's more like 80% against with the rest for or undecided.
Thats my point.... until we see the plans (which cant be done until get the OS) then how can anyone both pro and anti really give a balanced vote?

I am generally for the move but its dependent on a lot of "if's" and "but's".... for example IF its not branded West Ham, I dont want to move but until i see what its going to look like I cant fully say yes or no.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

It wont make any difference as the board are quite obviously not listening to anyone who disagrees with them.
When we move to Stratford everyone will then realise what a serious mistake has been.... but by then it will be too late.
Save your breath. Theyve already made up their minds.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

MD_HM wrote:
What if they covered the running track with seats?
How could this be at all possible though with the seats already being at ground level in row one? I really can't see that happening
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

I look back to the Bond days and have some good memories of the protests, but it did tear the club in two. In hindsight, we should have ignored it. Few bought Bonds, and it died a natural death. The protests only really served to get the club relegated.

It is pretty much certain that we are going to the OS, and nothing we can do will change it. It has always been part of the G&S business model. Protesting will just serve to create an atmosphere where players will want to leave, or not be bothered if we went up or not. The sad truth is, like the Bond, the only recourse if you are truly unhappy is to just not purchase a ticket when we move there
Jiminy_Cricket

Post by Jiminy_Cricket »

I understand that we don't know all the plans I am just concerned at this stage by the time we know what they intend to do it will be all too late.

They may have made their minds up but that doesn't mean we should give them an easy ride
bendavids

Post by bendavids »

I hate it when fans protest against their clubs - obviously I understand that sometimes the vast majority see it as necessary (Blackburn fans at the moment, etc). I wouldn't want to do anything that could distabalise the team on the pitch.

As for the OS, as mentioned above, it's a split opinion at the moment and nobody really knows what is going to happen. IF the move to Stratford can be done properly then I'm all for it but only time will tell if that's possible. If however, they came out and said we're going to move without sorting out removable seating, claret n blue seats, etc then I'd fully back staying at Upton Park.
Jiminy_Cricket

Post by Jiminy_Cricket »

e1hammer wrote:YES.

But we campaign efficiently and try and bring in a broad base of supporters with different skills. I have a lot of respect for the chaps that ran the campaign before however they did it quietly. We need a campaign that people can get involved with.

I would hold fire for now and wait until we see the clubs proposals (indeed if there even will be any - fingers crossed) then we should hold a public meeting so those who oppose the move can get together and start a more rounded campaign. In these days of twitter and facebook you still need people outside Upton Park handing out leaflets and stickers. You need to fundraise as these things aren’t cheap and you need to agree a campaign committee.

I work as a campaign organiser for a political party and am more than willing to help the campaign.
Thanks for you insight, it would be terrific to have you on board.

Will the proposals become public knowledge or will we get Gold & Sullivan's glossed over versions. I thought now might be a good time to start before the club put forward their proposals in Jan.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

PROTESTING??

Will be a great thing for our club, in my opinion if we get it.

Cannot get there soom enough, in my opinion it willl be the making of our club. :raver:
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

eastsider wrote: :raver:
Whenever I see this evil little dancing zit in the Olympic Stadium thread I want to protest. In fact, sod it, I am going into the middle of Green Lane and do a sit down protest in the Road. I just need to make myself a banner with.....

"DEATH TO DANCING ZITS".

Look,...it is Green Lane, all protests involve "Death" to someone.
e1hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by e1hammer »

Jiminy_Cricket wrote:Will the proposals become public knowledge or will we get Gold & Sullivan's glossed over versions. I thought now might be a good time to start before the club put forward their proposals in Jan.
There is no harm in starting now but you (we) need to get enough committed people together, propose a meeting maybe before of after a game or somewhere easy to get to in town (a pub around Liverpool Street) and get a feel for what people would like to do. You don't need hundreds but you do need a few committed people to get the camapaign up and running.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bendavids wrote:I hate it when fans protest against their clubs - obviously I understand that sometimes the vast majority see it as necessary (Blackburn fans at the moment, etc). I wouldn't want to do anything that could distabalise the team on the pitch.
I agree totally .

As for a split opinion ? I'm not so sure .

A ballot organised by the club would tell us wouldn't it .No need to protest, no need to look muggy to other fans, no need to do anything that would destabalise the club .

A simple question , that's all .

I wonder why the club won't ask it's own fans ? :think:
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Jiminy_Cricket wrote: I wanted to know if anyone would be up for a demonstration or maybe a few outside Upton Park on non-match day or even a staged sit in on a match day to publicly speak out as the board seem to of convinced the media that the majority of the fans are on board when in reality we aren't. Suggestions are welcome.

brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

Yes - We need a well organised campaign with a few committed people.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1726 likes
Total likes: 1480 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

e1hammer wrote:
There is no harm in starting now but you (we) need to get enough committed people together, propose a meeting maybe before of after a game or somewhere easy to get to in town (a pub around Liverpool Street) and get a feel for what people would like to do. You don't need hundreds but you do need a few committed people to get the camapaign up and running.
Im in, pm me if and when you want to arrange the meeting.