Do we need to publicly protest the Olymic Stadium move?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Re: Do we need to publicly protest the Olymic Stadium move?

Post by The Rebirth »

Jiminy_Cricket wrote:The mods may choose to put this in the Olympic Thread but I wanted to post it here for maximum response. The more I hear about the Olympic Stadium shambles the less I like it. It now appares we can only "rent" the Stadium on a yearly bases and this worries me no end as if for what ever reason the lease was rejected then this would leave us without a home and would destroy the club. Also we seem to have no control over the stadium so we may not be able to brand the stadium and make it feel like a home or explore the whole seating debacale.

Whilst before I was determined to be optimistic about the move I now really fear it will kill our club and we will indeed be left with a souless corprate stadium. I'm all for progression but this whole subservant, finger in their approach is really starting to worry me.

I wanted to know if anyone would be up for a demonstration or maybe a few outside Upton Park on non-match day or even a staged sit in on a match day to publicly speak out as the board seem to of convinced the media that the majority of the fans are on board when in reality we aren't. Suggestions are welcome.

At least we can say we tried to do "something" rather than just moan and resign oursleves to playing in the "Spunk Bowl" come 2014

:crest:
Are you 14? Spunk Bowl? WTF mate

And no protest asway we will move there it's almost certain.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I don't know why so many are convinced it is going to be the very worse case scenario and will be just like the worse photos we have seen so far.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1726 likes
Total likes: 1480 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

the pink palermo wrote: Actually, I don't .
I meant that I think you know why the board will not wat to ask the fans, but agreed taht we don't know right now what the general feeling is although the majority appear to be strongly against!
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

It's not so much the moving from the Boleyn, but what the OS is that's my problem.
If we had of redesigned it like Manchester City did with theirs, then it would be a winner.
But I am yet to be convinced that anything will change for the positive and that it will resemble anything like a football ground I can't support the move.
I honestly think we will end up with demountable seating behind both goals with the side stands still open, that is more lop-sided than the BG. The fact that the Upper Tiers behind the goals are closed off also says alot to me.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

The Rebirth wrote:
Are you 14? Spunk Bowl? WTF mate

And no protest asway we will move there it's almost certain.
I take it you want to go to the OS still then?
HarrowInnHammer

The Rebirth wrote:And no protest asway we will move there it's almost certain.
Maybe but at least we could bring in to the Boards attention that not everyone wants the move
SoulCircus
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

HarrowInnHammer wrote: Maybe but at least we could bring in to the Boards attention that not everyone wants the move
Well judging by the posts on David Gold's Twitter account I'm sure he's pretty aware of the opposition to the move.
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

HarrowInnHammer wrote:
Maybe but at least we could bring in to the Boards attention that not everyone wants the move
Fair enough they will merely counter that not everybody wants to stay!

I have to quote another thread where people who do not even go to games are screaming about not going yet... they rarely ever go if ever.

Maybe if the club held a vote on the people who currently have season tickets (home and away) it would be a better reflection.

I myself have only just got a season ticket so I am not getting all high and mighty but I think in the interest of fairness the fans who go week in week out should be the ones who are consulted.

Sadly although I am yet to meet the hordes of anti-OS at the ground I still think the Anti's would win in that vote.
Last edited by The Rebirth on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

paulhs1 wrote:
I take it you want to go to the OS still then?
It's not a matter of my preference we will be the anchor tennant especially as Newham will own it in effect.

All this enter Chelsea cobblers! :lol:
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

e1hammer wrote:I propose an informal meeting next Thursday 20th October 2011 evening around Liverpool Street to get the ball rolling.
I'll be happy to come along? Perhaps at around 7pm would be a good time.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

I'll be happy to attend a protest if one is organised
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Rocketron »

How about a sing song?
To the tune of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in The Wall

We don't need no athletics stadium
We don't need no running track
No high jump, long jump
Discus or javelin
Oi! West Ham, Save The Boleyn Ground
All in all, Save The Boleyn Ground
All in all, Save The Boleyn Ground
Posh-Hammer

Post by Posh-Hammer »

I am all for protesting In a democratic society we all have the right to voice our opinions
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Rebirth wrote:Maybe if the club held a vote on the people who currently have season tickets (home and away) it would be a better reflection.
Rebirth , that would be fewer than 400 of us .

I speak to plenty of them.........and trust me a vote wouldn't be neccesary , but having said that , it would be far too small a sample upon which to base such a crucial decision .

A simple vote of all members and ST holders would be over 20,000, regular , paying, club supporting fans .

Just think of the power it would add to the David's plans if 19500 out of 20,000 voted yes to the move : a clear mandate , and one with which they could be confident of "client" retention at Stratford .

Of course, if it went the other way , at least , even if they pressed ahead with their plans, they would know the potential lost "customers"......
Old Git

Post by Old Git »

Some people lead, others are born to follow/do as they are told. The owners should not ask the fans as fans are always wrong.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Old Git wrote:Some people lead, others are born to follow/do as they are told. The owners should not ask the fans as fans are always wrong.
But if the owners are fans first and not businessmen then surely they would want to hear what the other fans think?!
Why not put out all the details of the bid in the public domain, let us see their plans about retracrable seating and making the roof and the stadium more football friendly. Put some pictures out there (not the last one with the side on view) showing their plans, why not give us a chance to be won over by the the bid so we can get behind it if it's right for the club. We are stake holders afterall and if they care about fans turning up each week then surely they would want us behind them.

Get us on board and take the fans with them....now that would be leadership!
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

Old Git wrote:Some people lead, others are born to follow/do as they are told. The owners should not ask the fans as fans are always wrong.
I take it you purchased a bond then?
HarrowInnHammer

What 100% of the time?
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

The Rebirth wrote:[ Maybe if the club held a vote on the people who currently have season tickets (home and away) it would be a better reflection.

or thinking outside of the box what if the club asked those that used to go and those that live within a few miles, why they dont go or even what would make them go, it would provide an iinsight to what FUTURE fans or supporters want. Lets be fair us lot will put up with anything.
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

cockney farmer wrote: or thinking outside of the box what if the club asked those that used to go and those that live within a few miles, why they dont go or even what would make them go, it would provide an iinsight to what FUTURE fans or supporters want. Lets be fair us lot will put up with anything.
Sunderland did something similar it worked in the short term but now they're back to square one.

I can pretty much guess that price is one of the reasons they do not go. It forced out our stalwart forum member Cockney Hammer a few years back. (although I believe he is back now) I cannot speak for him so I will generalise, imagine you can take your whole family of 4 to a game for £50-60? Why would that not bring fans back to the ground?