Do we need to publicly protest the Olymic Stadium move?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Napoleon Solo

Re: Do we need to publicly protest the Olymic Stadium move?

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Do we need to publicly protest the Olympic Stadium move?

I would have thought that the answer must be yes.

Being as quiet as a couple of church mice has hardly achieved anything has it?
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

I understand the club is trying to attract families to games, fair dos, but you need to cater for all fans
We seem obsessed with this family club rep. Its like the club think if you can get parents to take their kids to a match, they have a fan for life, but what happens when the kid grows up and wants to go and stand with their mates? I'm not convinced there will be anywhere at the OS where this is possible, and a fair whack of 16-30 year olds will not want to go football sitting in silence with a bunch of families where's the fun in that? I'd like to see the club stance on this kind of thing.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

HarrowInnHammer wrote:I understand the club is trying to attract families to games, fair dos, but you need to cater for all fans
We seem obsessed with this family club rep. Its like the club think if you can get parents to take their kids to a match, they have a fan for life, but what happens when the kid grows up and wants to go and stand with their mates? I'm not convinced there will be anywhere at the OS where this is possible, and a fair whack of 16-30 year olds will not want to go football sitting in silence with a bunch of families where's the fun in that? I'd like to see the club stance on this kind of thing.

amen...i made a similar comment in a different thread about when i first stared going...young lads congregating with their mates on the terraces

how many groups of say 15-20 year olds go now?

the os should have a few sections of dirt cheap, unallocated seating for young groups who want to turn up and have a laugh with their mates...in a 60k arena, we will have more than enough room to accomodate them

arsenal used to have a paddock at the front of their old west stand that was for junior gunners only...and as they got older, the kids moved over to the north bank / clock end...interesting that at arsenal there are now big concerns that a whole generation of fans are missing out now as they have been priced out
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Although this is an open forum and everyone has their view, I personally believe that only season ticket holders and members really are entitled to a "say" in this move. That does not include me.

However, as I think Pinky has pointed out, even if all 20,000 of these voters said no to the OS, they would still be in the minority of the potential new support to Stratford. The reason the board haven't asked is because, frankly, they don't care. They will not have 20,000 season ticket holders at the OS because there's far too many seats for anyone to need reserving one. IIRC the season ticket holders got advised about some scheme like the bond scheme whereby their existing season ticket entitles them to be on a priority list for tickets at the OS (pleased if someone can clarify that).

Listening around, I feel there is a much stronger "no" than what we have seen so far. Why there hasn't been a bigger protest than the one mywhufc led for example, I don't know. Do people really protest anymore about anything? We have all become comfortably knumb (excuse the word play there).

Mind you, a good start would be changing the title thread to correct the spelling!
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

The Old Mile End wrote:Although this is an open forum and everyone has their view, I personally believe that only season ticket holders and members really are entitled to a "say" in this move. That does not include me.

However, as I think Pinky has pointed out, even if all 20,000 of these voters said no to the OS, they would still be in the minority of the potential new support to Stratford. The reason the board haven't asked is because, frankly, they don't care. They will not have 20,000 season ticket holders at the OS because there's far too many seats for anyone to need reserving one. IIRC the season ticket holders got advised about some scheme like the bond scheme whereby their existing season ticket entitles them to be on a priority list for tickets at the OS (pleased if someone can clarify that).

Listening around, I feel there is a much stronger "no" than what we have seen so far. Why there hasn't been a bigger protest than the one mywhufc led for example, I don't know. Do people really protest anymore about anything? We have all become comfortably knumb (excuse the word play there).

Mind you, a good start would be changing the title thread to correct the spelling!
were not as militant as we used to be...nowhere near
HarrowInnHammer

This could be the start of something though
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

If it's going to be done it needs to be done properly,organised, not just 3 men and a flag and not rushed into.
HarrowInnHammer

mywhufc wrote:If it's going to be done it needs to be done properly,organised, not just 3 men and a flag and not rushed into.
Agreed, a meeting could set the ball rolling
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

We should protest the fact that they haven't consulted the fans, when they try to tell us that they do. There is one reason why they haven't consulted us and that is because they know we won't like it, in my opinion. That is why I am against the move, at the moment until they convince me otherwise.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

I'll try to attend any meeting about a protest.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Tottenham organised a anti OS Levy might as well of spat in their faces.

It won't do a thing.

Why waste your time I say that a geniune fan of this football club. When it's on Sky Sports News it will give people more ammunition to rip the piss out of us.

Look at that guy on Youtube who said we took 10,000 to Wigan...
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

The Rebirth wrote:Tottenham organised a anti OS Levy might as well of spat in their faces.

It won't do a thing.

Why waste your time I say that a geniune fan of this football club. When it's on Sky Sports News it will give people more ammunition to rip the piss out of us.

Look at that guy on Youtube who said we took 10,000 to Wigan...
8,000 to be more accurate

and you've had a ST all of .......... ?
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

Pop Robson wrote:
8,000 to be more accurate

and you've had a ST all of .......... ?
What has that got to do with anything Pop?

Does it give you a right to an opinion if you've had one over 5 years? is that the best you can come up with still old bean?

When you giving yours up again?

Proper fan are we?

:thdn:
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

The Rebirth wrote:
What has that got to do with anything Pop?

Does it give you a right to an opinion if you've had one over 5 years? is that the best you can come up with still old bean?

When you giving yours up again?

Proper fan are we?

:thdn:
yeah
The Rebirth

Post by The Rebirth »

Pop Robson wrote:
yeah
Then by your own definition you'll lose that 'title' in 2014 and I'll be giving you the same grief you've given me (which started from having a difference in opinion) over the last year :thup:
HarrowInnHammer

People will still go games just not at the OS.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

The Rebirth wrote:
Then by your own definition you'll lose that 'title' in 2014 and I'll be giving you the same grief you've given me (which started from having a difference in opinion) over the last year
rented athletics stadium, with White Seats, now who was banged on the were going to be Claret & Blue :think:
HarrowInnHammer

The Rebirth wrote:Why waste your time I say that a geniune fan of this football club. When it's on Sky Sports News it will give people more ammunition to rip the piss out of us.
Or we could move to an athletics stadium not fit for football and be a laughing stock...
paulhs1
Has liked: 1726 likes
Total likes: 1480 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Hammer110 wrote:If you at this moment in time you are against the move then you need to start protesting now! A wait and see attitude will result in too little too late as probably by the time details are announced there will not be enough time to gain any momentum and you lose. It's far easier to stop protesting if the plans allay your fears.

Personall I feel that any protest will struggle to gain sufficient numbers ie >7,500 to affect the outcome but you wont know till you try.
Well said H110 I appreciate that your against any type of protest but upmost respect for this post!
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

the pink palermo wrote:I wonder why the club won't ask it's own fans ? :think:
Because they are in the main emotional rather than rational !