David Gold on Talksport today

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Re: David Gold on Talksport today

Post by the pink palermo »

The current owners are not going to spend a bean upgrading the Boleyn .

So, if we stay, which I suspect many of us want to, it will exactly as it is now .

There won't be a new East Stand under current ownership .
beckton

Post by beckton »

the pink palermo wrote: There won't be a new East Stand under current ownership .

And why do you think that?

For me, If we Increased our capacity by 5000 there would be no reason why we get bigger crowds than we do now with out big investment in the team.
At the same time we'd be paying for a new stand and paying TFL for Upton Park Station improvements etc.

It doesn't seem to make financial sense.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

the pink palermo wrote:The current owners are not going to spend a bean upgrading the Boleyn .

So, if we stay, which I suspect many of us want to, it will exactly as it is now .

Unless DG is telling porkies...there won't be a new East Stand under any ownership. He has confirmed on a number of occasions that a number of responsible authorities in the area including the Council and the Police have objected to any redevelopment of the East Stand.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote:The current owners are not going to spend a bean upgrading the Boleyn .

I think everyone understands that is more than likely the case

But if the option was to either stay put or watch the team in an athletics arena over a running track i'd stay put every time. Even if it did mean watching us play Championship football
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Maybe they won't redevelop the East Stand because they would only gain a few thousand more seats, which wouldn't cover the cost of knocking it down and starting again?

Maybe they could spend the transfer budget and the ST money to do it, at least then the fans will really feel part of our future.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

beckton wrote:

And why do you think that?

For me, If we Increased our capacity by 5000 there would be no reason why we get bigger crowds than we do now with out big investment in the team.
At the same time we'd be paying for a new stand and paying TFL for Upton Park Station improvements etc.

Gold has stated that spening money on the Boleyn would be like throwing money down the drain, this seems to support your view.
I think the club are dreaming of a top eight prem team with every game sold out.
Not too sure how they intend to do that on a shoestring though.
Smudger1
Has liked: 17 likes

Post by Smudger1 »

Sadly I think all the talk of improved transport or otherwise, increased capacity etc whilst interesting and worthy discussion points are window dressing for the true reason behind the moves. The Daves primary reason IMO for moving is the believed increase in revenue from corporate customers, the likes of you and I are essentially an irrelevenace, they know that the majority of us will turn up wherever we call home.
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Also on this moaning about it's not going to be any easier getting to Stratford, tbh i don't think that matters to the club or any owners we could have, even Tone! As in essence you ain't going to stop supporting West Ham no matter how much you get the 'ump, as for stopping going unless you are really at the end of the line with Football, you will eventually come back.

What matters to any businessman (so forget G&S as it could be anyone who's a self made rich man) is the potential Stratford has of drawing in support from North and South London and also foreign tourist potential from abroad just out to catch an PL game. The other side of the river is 3 stops on from Stratford another 15mins and you are deep into South of the river heartland, and look at the North London line which runs from Stratford and Highbury & Islington is a 20 min journey. Now you may say that will never happen but i would never have put City down as the club with more potential than United, but with investment the potential is with City, that is the proposition G&S want to make us and their investment worthwhile.

The day any of you have wanted for Premier League football or the day you want for a higher league position to gain more Sky money is the day you consigned Upton Park as not good enough to fulfil our future potential, within this modern monster of a game.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

the pink palermo wrote: There won't be a new East Stand under current ownership .
beckton wrote: And why do you think that?
Beckers

DG categorically ruled out redeveloping the Boleyn yesterday .

The reason is simple : they want a stadium that can be used for multiple purposes for more days of the year than the Council will ever let them use the Boleyn for .

The Boleyn, even in a busy season gets used on about 30 occasions .The Council won't give permission to reguarly hold boxing , rugby, NFL etc etc

Local residents won't stand for it .

This is not about planning permission , it's about licensing .The owners want an income from a stadium 200 days a year , not 30 .
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Side of Ham wrote: The day any of you have wanted for Premier League football or the day you want for a higher league position to gain more Sky money is the day you consigned Upton Park as not good enough to fulfil our future potential, within this modern monster of a game.
Or the day any of you get all antsy about Spurs nicking all our best youngsters yet again...
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Pinky as a ST holder you are inside that ground for at best 90 hours of the year that totals around 4 days the other 361 it's there empty. I'd reckon you'd spend more time in your favourite drinking establishment than at West Ham United itself, and in fact i'd go as far to say that most of us spend the day lining other businesses pockets and not actually adding to West Ham United FC's finances once the games over etc. That is how it goes, it's how everyone prospers, why you digging out the owners for wanting to maximise their investment and wanting room to manoeuvre their business strategy, you're not there when they are doing this, so what's it to you what they do or how they'd use the facilities they pay rent for on non match days? Where's the crime as a businessman for wanting a multipurpose stadium over a ground that knocked 3/4 of it's history down 20 years earlier and replaced it with 'modern facilities' and turrets with no more room for manoeuvre?

Where's the crime for wanting part of the Eastend to be a decent venue for all sports? Other than it breaks up your and all the rest of us routines.
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

TPP

Would that be why there are now problems with the bid, I.e we would not be able to make a penny as tennants whilst renting from athletics? Sorry if already spoke about I'm in phone and can't be arsed to scroll back
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Side of Ham wrote: That is how it goes, it's how everyone prospers, why you digging out the owners for wanting to maximise their investment and wanting room to manoeuvre their business strategy, you're not there when they are doing this, so what's it to you what they do or how they'd use the facilities they pay rent for on non match days?
Excuse me chap .

Where am I digging out the owners for wanting to maximise their investment ? I'm merely pointing out what they are trying to do , and why I believe they have ruled out developing the Boleyn .

I have passed neither a positive or negative comment on such behaviour .
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

the pink palermo wrote:
Excuse me chap .

Where am I digging out the owners for wanting to maximise their investment ? I'm merely pointing out what they are trying to do , and why I believe they have ruled out developing the Boleyn .

I have passed neither a positive or negative comment on such behaviour .
Fair enough Pinky i apologise if i've mis quoted you, i'll see you as a Que sera, sera poster with regards to the move. :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Side of Ham wrote:
Fair enough Pinky i apologise if i've mis quoted you, i'll see you as a Que sera, sera poster with regards to the move.
Do as you wish SOH, but on THAT issue, I most definately am not a Que Sera Sera poster .

For the record .

I am opposed to moving into an Athletics arena
I believe the owners should consult the fans on any relocation proposal
I would not object to relocating a short distance into a purpose built football stadium - subject to the aforementioned consultation
I am more than happy at the Boleyn
I am disiniterested in whether or not the East stand is redeveloped .I sit in the West .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Faubert's Boot wrote:TPP

Would that be why there are now problems with the bid, I.e we would not be able to make a penny as tennants whilst renting from athletics? Sorry if already spoke about I'm in phone and can't be arsed to scroll back
There is a statement on the offical site reaffirming the clubs interests in the OS .....subject to the conditions being right .

And there's the rub .Our owners want to be in the driving seat , and so do UK Athletics ...............

David Gold is now expressing doubts in order to soften up the OPLC with regards to the lease conditions ......it's a game of poker .
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

I think your bang on the money pinky, what intrigues me in all this is, what are their other options when they bin the olympic move?
are these two rich enough to finance a brand new stadium? if they are would they be prepared to splash that sort of money? if not
how or where are they planning to get the money from? the way gold is talking it would appear that there is a plan B, it wasn't that long ago that ms Brady said there was not a plan B!
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

the pink palermo wrote: And there's the rub .Our owners want to be in the driving seat , and so do UK Athletics ...............

David Gold is now expressing doubts in order to soften up the OPLC with regards to the lease conditions ......it's a game of poker .
And in a game of poker you don't let on how good your hand is,West Ham made an error letting on the potential income from the events it will be used for.Hence now they can make the income leasing it to all comers rather than us.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

durham city hammer wrote:are these two rich enough to finance a brand new stadium? if they are would they be prepared to splash that sort of money? if not
how or where are they planning to get the money from? the way gold is talking it would appear that there is a plan B, it wasn't that long ago that ms Brady said there was not a plan B!
I don't believe they would fund a new stadium all by themselves .In all fairness, in the SE corner of England, inside the M25 it would be bloody expensive .

My own view is there is a plan B , and that will be to groundshare in a new football stadium at Stratford with either QPR or Spurs .

Don't forget our original budget to convert Stratford was £180m .That might get you half a football ground at Stratford if someone sold you the land cheaply - or sold you a 1000 year lease on the ground .

I don't believe either Tony Fernades, or Joe Lewis will want to spend £450m on building a new stadium all on their own .

I believe both would contemplate ground sharing .

I believe our owners would as well .The infrastructure at Stratford is too good to pass up the opportunity .
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Some interesting points pinky and tbh it would make the most sense as i cannot see them splashing that sort of money out for a stadium, unless a third party comes in and buys the rest of the club off the icemen and is perpared to invest big bucks, this i can't see happening. QPR is interesting as Fernandes was on sky the other day saying they are wanting to move to a new stadium, now i know the Mittal family have shares in the club but they have not really invested huge amounts into the club and are not really showing any signs of doing so, fernandes appears to be running the show there and he aint that rich, so where would he get the finance from?? you may well be onto something, i wonder how that would go down with fans of either club? like a lead balloon i would imagine!