How do you fill 60k?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome

Hammer Smith

Re: How do you fill 60k?

Post by Hammer Smith »

We wont get 60,000 fans against anyone unless you give the tickets away. The stadium is too big for our needs.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Hammer Smith wrote:We wont get 60,000 fans against anyone unless you give the tickets away. The stadium is too big for our needs.
Spot on
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

I can only speak for myself but I agree that the issue is cost. I went to more games last season than this season for one reason and one reason alone: last year I was picking up tickets on the cheap from viagogo - £15 to £20 a pop compared £45 makes a huge difference when disposable income is limited. If tickets for the OS had a £15-20 bracket I'd go most weeks, even if the view was ****. I suspect there won't be that price bracket though.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1726 likes
Total likes: 1480 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

neilbob wrote:I can only speak for myself but I agree that the issue is cost. I went to more games last season than this season for one reason and one reason alone: last year I was picking up tickets on the cheap from viagogo - £15 to £20 a pop compared £45 makes a huge difference when disposable income is limited. If tickets for the OS had a £15-20 bracket I'd go most weeks, even if the view was sh*t. I suspect there won't be that price bracket though.
I think we would see more fans go, although i'm still waiting for someone to explain how tickets will be offered at these prices?
Now I may be mistaken but I cannot remember the last time our owners or Brady mentioned that there will be cheap tickets if we get to Stratford, certainly not recently anyway!
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

I don't think we will, but I'd certainly go more often - and I wouldn't be the only one. I haven't been over much this season, not because of the divion we're in, not because we're on the tv all the time but simply as I don't have the spare cash for it.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

We don't even sell out games against Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea now let alone in a 60,000 stadium! What are we going to do have a neutral section like Fulham and give them a 15,000 allocation?! We won't fill it for any games I don't think other than maybe when all the Man United and Liverpool 'fans' come and sit in the home end like they do now.

Yeah we might make a bit more dosh out of it but is it really all about the money?
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:We don't even sell out games against Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea now let alone in a 60,000 stadium! What are we going to do have a neutral section like Fulham and give them a 15,000 allocation?! We won't fill it for any games I don't think other than maybe when all the Man United and Liverpool 'fans' come and sit in the home end like they do now.

Yeah we might make a bit more dosh out of it but is it really all about the money?

Unfortunately, for e owners, it's all about the money

35k is enough at the moment...if we had any form of success, 45k would be plenty

I don't want a stadium full of away fans, or sitting in our end...no chance
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Pop Robson wrote:Success ?
Is the right answer.

There are so many of us all over the south.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

25,000 core support.
10,000 Dad's with kids who come when tickets cheap
3,000 - 9,000 away fans
5,000 prawn sandwich munchers
Remaining approx 15,000 - day trippers

And we complain at the atmosphere at Upton Park.
Myron T Buttram
Probed by aliens

Post by Myron T Buttram »

Would the new capacity be 60,000 anyway? The mock up somebody put up showing the clubs vision of the retractable seating showed the whole of the upper tiers at each end blocked off with humoungous jumbotron screens, and some of the lower tier lost as the retractable seats would obscure the view. We may only be looking at 45-50k, or roughly 10-15k more than our capacity at present
paulhs1
Has liked: 1726 likes
Total likes: 1480 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Myron T Buttram wrote:Would the new capacity be 60,000 anyway? The mock up somebody put up showing the clubs vision of the retractable seating showed the whole of the upper tiers at each end blocked off with humoungous jumbotron screens, and some of the lower tier lost as the retractable seats would obscure the view. We may only be looking at 45-50k, or roughly 10-15k more than our capacity at present
When was this put up? Can you show re post this please?
Rheo

Post by Rheo »

I've not seen this anywhere, but is the OS capacity going to be reduced or remain at 80,000 now that the Athletics championships are to be held there?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hammers Cautious Over New Stadium Bid

West Ham are not guarenteed to make a fresh application to move into the Olympic stadium, according to Vice-Chairman Karren Brady.

Read on Sky News
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Um, that link didn't work.

Anyway, 'er indoors sounds less than enthusiastic:

West Ham are not guaranteed to make a fresh application to move into the Olympic stadium, according to Vice-Chairman Karren Brady.

The football club's deal with Newham Council saw them selected as the preferred bidder during the initial tender, but the process collapsed in October after a series of objections and legal challenges.

The Olympic Park Legacy Company launched a new tender process which now involves the stadium being leased out to an anchor tenant, with the stadium remaining in public ownership. This also included the requirement to retain the running track.

Brady told Sky Sports News: "If we decide to tender again, our application has to go in by the 23rd March and the deadline for a decision is 21st May, so it will come round pretty quickly.

"We're looking at what's on offer, looking at the differences between being a tenant and being an owner and whether that fits in with West Ham's plan.

"We abided by the original process, we played by the rules, we were the preferred bidder, but that process has been changed and we have to decide if its still the right opportunity for West Ham."
Knaphill

Post by Knaphill »

You fill 60,000 seats by making your money on the back end through food and merchandising - its basic marketing 1-0-1, something football clubs seem to think ony appies to their club shops and mega stores.

Pricing match day tkts sensibly and selling out 60,000 seats would generate something like £1.5M in gate receipts per game. All seats would be banded as either Cat A, B or C seats, with no overcharging for the more glamourous fixtures, preventing half empty stadium for a less attractive midweek fixture.

For a start you make 30,000 season tkts available at a maximum adult price of C. £30 per game Cat A, £25 per game Cat B, and staggered down to a £20 per game for a Cat C season tkt. Concessionary prices for OAP's, Jnr Hammers etc available.

Secondly, you make 16,000 tkts available in Cat A, B & C - all seats available to club members for an exclusive period before going on general sale.

Thirdly, you make 8,000 "kids for a quid" tkts available to every game in the worse viewing areas of the stadium, (miles behind each goal - 4,000 adults + 4,000 kids). Capture the younger fans early, later to be converted into club members or season tkt holders. These tkts would only be available to WH members who hold a "kids 4 a quid" membership card priced @ £21 per season - the same price as an adult + under 16 yr old kid match day tkt.

That leaves 6,000 tkts, (10% of capacity), available for away fans in a cat C area charged @ £30.

Now who do I make my invoice out to at West Ham United FC for my marketing plan & services?
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

Knaphill wrote:You fill 60,000 seats by making your money on the back end through food and merchandising - its basic marketing 1-0-1, something football clubs seem to think ony appies to their club shops and mega stores.

Pricing match day tkts sensibly and selling out 60,000 seats would generate something like £1.5M in gate receipts per game. All seats would be banded as either Cat A, B or C seats, with no overcharging for the more glamourous fixtures, preventing half empty stadium for a less attractive midweek fixture.

For a start you make 30,000 season tkts available at a maximum adult price of C. £30 per game Cat A, £25 per game Cat B, and staggered down to a £20 per game for a Cat C season tkt. Concessionary prices for OAP's, Jnr Hammers etc available.

Secondly, you make 16,000 tkts available in Cat A, B & C - all seats available to club members for an exclusive period before going on general sale.

Thirdly, you make 8,000 "kids for a quid" tkts available to every game in the worse viewing areas of the stadium, (miles behind each goal - 4,000 adults + 4,000 kids). Capture the younger fans early, later to be converted into club members or season tkt holders. These tkts would only be available to WH members who hold a "kids 4 a quid" membership card priced @ £21 per season - the same price as an adult + under 16 yr old kid match day tkt.

That leaves 6,000 tkts, (10% of capacity), available for away fans in a cat C area charged @ £30.

Now who do I make my invoice out to at West Ham United FC for my marketing plan & services?
Send your invoice direct to Mr Gold at his home address. It's on his website! :o)
freddies shears

Post by freddies shears »

Even if we do sell tickets cheap and manage to get 60k for the champions league games we will be playing :asleep: who is going to buy me a pair of bi focal ray bans. Round stadium, oblong pitch. Those best seats on the half way line must come with a time delay. So given the area its in i imagine a gram of H Should get people through the door
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

paulhs1 wrote:
I think we would see more fans go, although i'm still waiting for someone to explain how tickets will be offered at these prices?
Now I may be mistaken but I cannot remember the last time our owners or Brady mentioned that there will be cheap tickets if we get to Stratford, certainly not recently anyway!
Not hard to figure out is it? Basically our standard ticket price is £32 (Band 4) capacity is 32k for Home Fans we're moving to a Stadium which is basically double in size so how can they not half the ticket prices? (effectively keeping the same revenue income from gates)

Also double the number of people means potentially double the numbers of burgers, beers, sweets and hotdogs that with merchandise sales etc and more attractive corporate packages means this means ££.

Remember Arsenal couldn't fill 60k 15 years ago. Chelsea couldn't even get 20k...

Of course that is the most basic way at looking at it.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

The Rebirth wrote:
Not hard to figure out is it? Basically our standard ticket price is £32 (Band 4) capacity is 32k for Home Fans we're moving to a Stadium which is basically double in size so how can they not half the ticket prices? (effectively keeping the same revenue income from gates)
I thought we were moving to increase the money from the gate not keep it the same?
The Rebirth wrote:Also double the number of people means potentially double the numbers of burgers, beers, sweets and hotdogs that with merchandise sales etc and more attractive corporate packages means this means ££.

Remember Arsenal couldn't fill 60k 15 years ago. Chelsea couldn't even get 20k...

Of course that is the most basic way at looking at it.
Perhaps but as were the tennants now, we wont control the food the landlords will
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

Knaphill wrote:Thirdly, you make 8,000 "kids for a quid" tkts available to every game in the worse viewing areas of the stadium, (miles behind each goal - 4,000 adults + 4,000 kids). Capture the younger fans early, later to be converted into club members or season tkt holders.
That'll get them back week after week! Stick them miles away from the game and any chance of atmosphere. At least they will not be tainted by the sound of booing :)