How do you fill 60k?

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hammer110

Re: How do you fill 60k?

Post by Hammer110 »

freddies shears wrote:. Round stadium, oblong pitch.
It's not round it's oval:

NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

The simple answer is that there will be thousands of neutrals there to see The Olympic Stadium / Top flight football.
Loads of locals school children who aren't there for West Ham just on a day out with free tickets.
Away fans will be given whatever they can fell, all the big clubs will bring down travelling armies and take the piss.
Plenty of local Arsenal / Chelsea / Man Utd / Liverpool in the home ends.
So there will be a majority of West Ham but all spread out amongst neutrals, that's why the atmosphere will be ****, like an alien environment.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:The simple answer is that there will be thousands of neutrals there to see The Olympic Stadium / Top flight football.
Loads of locals school children who aren't there for West Ham just on a day out with free tickets.
Away fans will be given whatever they can fell, all the big clubs will bring down travelling armies and take the piss.
Plenty of local Arsenal / Chelsea / Man Utd / Liverpool in the home ends.
So there will be a majority of West Ham but all spread out amongst neutrals, that's why the atmosphere will be ****, like an alien environment.
Travelling fans take the piss now, and the atmosphere has been **** for a few years, whats new? apart from the football has gotten worse!

You think the club will happily sell tickets on the open market to away fans and neutrals, I think not. Security and policing will be higher in order to cope with the increase in crowd.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:
Travelling fans take the piss now, and the atmosphere has been **** for a few years, whats new? apart from the has gotten worse!

You think the club will happily sell tickets on the open market to away fans and neutrals, I think not. Security and policing will be higher in order to cope with the increase in crowd.
So no more groupon, viagogo, ticketmaster

It will be easy for anyone to get tickets at the OS.

As for security and policing, who pays the club or the OPLC, the club has cut back on policing costs as it is.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Mr_Andersonn wrote:
Travelling fans take the piss now,

No they don't

and the atmosphere has been **** for a few years, whats new? apart from the has gotten worse!

Speak for yourself, where I sit the atmosphere is fine

Mr Gold & Mr Sullivan would sell tickets to anyone to make ££££ its all part of the legacy
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

mywhufc wrote:I thought we were moving to increase the money from the gate not keep it the same?
Again you're taking my word as gospel Nigel. I said this is the simpilest form of breaking it down and as it has been pointed out the money will be from other revenue sources.
mywhufc wrote:Perhaps but as were the tennants now, we wont control the food the landlords will
During the Olympics maybe after that its in the hands of Newham who want us there
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

mywhufc wrote:Perhaps but as were the tennants now, we wont control the food the landlords will
The Rebirth wrote: During the Olympics maybe after that its in the hands of Newham who want us there
Dixie Chicken everywhere that'll get the locals in
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Hammer110 wrote:
It's not round it's oval:
The stadium is not oval it's elliptical, the athletics track is oval.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Have people considered the fact there will be 10,000 new homes on the olympic site. Of course a lot of people who will be living there won't support West Ham, but there's a good chance over time we could tap into it. When you have a prem team on your doorstep in a brand new stadium it might be tempting to start following us.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Mike420 wrote:Have people considered the fact there will be 10,000 new homes on the olympic site. Of course a lot of people who will be living there won't support West Ham, but there's a good chance over time we could tap into it. When you have a prem team on your doorstep in a brand new stadium it might be tempting to start following us.
David gold told Ian dale that fans are born into the club, they don't change alligances.
Then again Dale admits to being a man u fan and Sullivan didn't turn up in Essex until he was 11, doubt he was a hammers fan as a kid to begin with, so blows that theory.

With all the newbies turning up, song sheets will be needed on seats to teach them bubbles.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

We should definitely have a neutral section.
It will allow the non West Ham fans who have come along to experience the noise and atmosphere of such a great soccer arena.
Fulham have a neutral section and they are a great little friendly club we should aspire to be like.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

HarrowInnHammer wrote:We should definitely have a neutral section.
It will allow the non West Ham fans who have come along to experience the noise and atmosphere of such a great soccer arena.
Fulham have a neutral section and they are a great little friendly club we should aspire to be like.
I'm going to guess this is meant in the most sarcastic way possible? :lol:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Hammer Smith wrote:We wont get 60,000 fans against anyone unless you give the tickets away. The stadium is too big for our needs.
Right now, of course it will be too big. 10 years down the line however? Who knows....
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I think it unlikely that the new re-design and changes will create a 60k Stadium that needs to be filled every week. I believe it will have the capacity to seat up to 60k but be managed through careful screening, advertising and block by block selling etc. that will (initially) allow for 35k-45k average attendances. This can be managed upwards as events and/or increased demand dictates. Remember, this Stadium needs to be pretty flexible to accommodate all kind of events not just football and therefore it has the advantage of being designed as such.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Yet more evidence to suggest we can fill it:

That said I really don't understand the obsessions with completely filling a stadium.?

If it's full that means you have failed to build a stadium big enough!

It means that there are people who wanted to watch the match that have been locked out!

How is that good?? :eh:
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

WestHamIFC wrote:Yet more evidence to suggest we can fill it:
Where's the evidence? That suggests to me we might need an additional 5,000 seats, not 25,000 seats.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Knighter10WHU wrote:
Where's the evidence? That suggests to me we might need an additional 5,000 seats, not 25,000 seats.
We are top of the entire Premier League when it comes to being % full.

Not sure where you got 5k from(!) :eh: , but in that table we are ahead of Liverpool, ahead of Spurs, and ahead of Chelsea - all clubs who are all desperately trying to find far bigger stadiums (and certainly they want bigger than a 5k increase on their current homes!!).
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Liverpool, Chelsea & Spurs don't have to offer kids for a quid and other discounts, and take out full page newspaper adverts to fill their ground.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

WestHamIFC wrote:That said I really don't understand the obsessions with completely filling a stadium
Neither do I, it should be set at an achievable level for the future. I would imagine there are some that would find it an embarrassment to see empty seats, but otherwise most others would see it as an opportunity to grow the club into a larger home.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

WestHamIFC wrote:We are top of the entire Premier League when it comes to being % full.
yea', selling tickets for a fiver to man €ity local supporters...