23/2/12 SAB Olympic consultation

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

ekavall

Re: 23/2/12 SAB Olympic consultation

Post by ekavall »

Pop Robson wrote:It can't be branded as we're renting it maybe for only 19 days a year/season, like renting the church hall for a party stick up banners and balloons for the day and take them down after. :(
Honestyly, I think that is the worst comparison Ive heard in 10 years time.

If we are would become the anchor tennant, paying millions of punds converting it, we use the stadium thousands of percents more than anyone else. And over 99 years. It has to be like OUR home, with other events coming in as some sort of guests in which circumstances they would have no say in how the place looks. I think this has to made very clear. For hammers fans coming to the arena week in week out it need to have a WH feeel to it. This is also the kind of view I hope comes across at the SAB consultations. Hopefully the WH board realize this.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Using another analogy, if I rent a flat for 99 years and if I'm expected to cough up some serious money to get the flat redecorated so that it will appeal to other temporary lodgers too (although I'll be around during the 99 years all the time as the anchor tenant, using the flat more often than any other lodger), then surely I do get a say in what the furniture will look like...

Again, when David Gold says the deal needs to be right for West Ham and the supporters I believe and trust him. If we are to committ our future for the next 99 years to the OS it should go without saying that we need to be given the opportunity to make this a proper home for our club. 99 years is not really temporary, is it ?

So we do have a bit of leverage there I feel. Our owners will not roll over and accept any old crap the LLDC might want to throw at us.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

HamburgHammer wrote:So we do have a bit of leverage there I feel. Our owners will not roll over and accept any old crap the LLDC might want to throw at us.
True, the club does have some leverage but not carte blanche; so they will fight hard for the things that the board feel are critical and less hard for those they deem less important. So some branding will a "must have", though that may be stuff that can be covered up if necessary - for example "West Ham" murals like they have at the Emirates. Claret and blue seats will be considered a minor thing IMO, there will be far more critical things to spend money on.

Only time will tell on the consultation but at least they are starting, there may still be details that are bound up in confidentiality agreements; They may be consulting on how best to consult and who to consult for all we know. For example, is it worth (or valid) to ask
a/ someone who lives in Germany and is never likely to attend?
b/ someone who lives in Southend and MAY attend if the conditions are right, on a nice day?
c/ someone who lives in Sweden and attends half a dozen games a season?
d/ someone who lives in Southend and attends half a doxen games a season?
e/ someone who used to have a ST and gave it up a few years ago?
etc etc
Or should we only ask current STH, plus those who attend more than x games a season?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

ekavall wrote:As I guess you are going to the SAB meeting...
I'll be going sir, whether I'll be allowed to participate is another matter.
HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

Obviously season ticket holders should be first in line to be consulted, also those who had to give up their season tickets, but were regulars before. Those are the people that have to bear the biggest consequences if we move. On the other hand I feel people like me who used to have a season ticket but now live abroad should at least be given a chance to be heard as the move to the OS not only affects the people going but also the supporters following the club from afar.

I'm sure that EVERY supporter cares deeply about the club, be they season ticket holders or not.
The move affects the club's finances, the club's future, its ability to keep and attract players, it also greatly increases our chances to find new investors/buyers. As such every supporter will be interested in what happens. So, if possible, season ticket holders' votes may count double whereas other supporters only get the one vote. Then again I'm sure the owners will have their own ideas how to consult the fans in an appropriate manner....
whufc32

Post by whufc32 »

I have a law degree but the amount I put it to use is another thing but I'm sure that if you are leasing somewhere and do work to it that significantly increases its appearance and value etc if ever sold all that is taken into account.
West_Ham1

Post by West_Ham1 »

Anybody going to the meeting tonight could you ask how the club came up with the figures of 500,000 supporters in east London and Essex alone message from the statement

thanks.
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

Can someone ask if we will be getting the stadium lock stock or just renting for our games?
I believe that's what G&S will be going for and then looking to sub let it out for concerts and other events.
I personally think it'll be a crock if we are only renting for games and allowing the Gov to issue leases for other events separately.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

HamburgHammer wrote: On the other hand I feel people like me who used to have a season ticket but now live abroad should at least be given a chance to be heard as the move to the OS not only affects the people going but also the supporters following the club from afar.
Ok I'll bite, why and how does it effect them?

If you live in another country and at best will visit only every few years, how does the ground West Ham play in effect you? The only way I can see is if one or the other directly impacts on the success of the team, and no one in their right mind can claim that.

I'm not saying that every supporter doesn't have the right to have their say, but surely the only group that will definitely be impacted are those that currently attend matches. Those that MAY attend if circumstances change are not definites, as they have to gain a habit when they currently do something else each match day.
adie

Post by adie »

everyone going tonight has to sign a confidentiality form and hand in their mobile phones. So I don't think anyone can ask and answer your questions. I have e-mailed the club three times asking them can I report back to the people who nominated me. I haven't yet got a reply. I'm sure the club was under the impression that once they were named as preferred bidders they could show the fans plans and have a full fans consultation, but the LLDC have insisted the confidentiality clause stays in place. There will not be any detailed plans shown tonight so I don't understand why the secrecy.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

Interesting that Tony Cottee will be there alongside Karren Brady and David Gold. Thought they refused to sell his new book in the club store coz he wrote something they didn't like about the OS. Hopefully, he will be in the fans corner.
whu92

Post by whu92 »

The branding is an interesting discussion. Man City had an agreement to rent their stadium and were allowed to brand the stadium. A 99 year lease is proposed for us , all be it in a "timeshare" fashion, but to my knowledge no other concern are to be granted a lease and no other concern who would be holding events at the stadium are being expected to pay towards conversion so that the stadium can be used regularly in non summer weeks.

A further point is that undoubtably whoever uses the stadium for the next 4 or 5 years will benefit from the euforia of the 2012 olympics. The whole reason we are presently going through this process is to prevent the OS becoming a white elephant and provide an income to offset the original outlay. To that end it would be to the advantage of the LLDC if WHU had proper branding for the stadium to help to pull in punters. I stand to be corrected , but I seem to remember the rent would only reach the top amount agreed if it could be covered by seat sales and tv income. Clearly in the event of relegation a situation arises where the rent may not be covered.

If I am wrong about the rent not being subject in some way to the income of the club , then the board should be in negotiations about this from the beginning. As the main cash provider for the OS there should be no way the LLDC should put West Ham at a disadvantage to all other football clubs by not having branding around the stadium.

One other thing. I keep hearing figures like £425M for the stadium, £150M to £200M for improvements. I have yet to see figures of ticket sales, income from tv coverage, refreshment and souvenir outlet money generated. All these of course were never supposed to only pay for the OS but I was under the impression that generally the olympics broke even particularly considering the worldly goodwill generated and expected benefits of trade which nomally follow these events. From the media there seems to be some kind of implication that we should feel guilty for getting such a good deal. In fact , with the benefit of WHU in a branded stadium with improvements for at least 10 years, the LLDC will have achieved a good deal and then start looking on a profit thereafter. I can see no advantage to them from putting obstacles in our way to compete in whatever league we may be in.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Did any of them make it out alive?
rudeboydubs

Post by rudeboydubs »

id like to know that aswell....
just saw this on twitter

Claret and blue panels all around the Olympic stadium. And no west ham won't change their name to something embarrassing ahaha!

Plans look quality. Retractable seating and an investment is looking likely if we move in. Most people against it atm will come around

dont know if its true though
HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

A guy called Max Harries tweeted the following with regard to the OS:
"The Boleyn , Nathan's and fish and chippy in green street all being offered to open around the OS aswell."
Bobby Moore statue will also be moved.

So they will be trying to take at least some of those things season ticket holders are fond of with the club over to the OS. You cannot say they're not trying to make the move more appealing to the doubters...
Bubble 'N' Cheek

Post by Bubble 'N' Cheek »

HamburgHammer wrote:A guy called Max Harries tweeted the following with regard to the OS:
"The Boleyn , Nathan's and fish and chippy in green street all being offered to open around the OS aswell."
Bobby Moore statue will also be moved.

So they will be trying to take at least some of those things season ticket holders are fond of with the club over to the OS. You cannot say they're not trying to make the move more appealing to the doubters...
I vote the mdf turrets.
West_Ham1

Post by West_Ham1 »

Can any info be posted please?

Im seeing on Twitter it will be 54,000 capacity can anyone confirm?
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

West_Ham1 wrote:Can any info be posted please?

Im seeing on Twitter it will be 54,000 capacity can anyone confirm?
Which also came from this Max kid :?
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

I don't really use Twitter but know that the planned capacity will be between 54,000 and 60,000.
There are plans to have retractable seating all around the pitch at distances no different from the Boleyn.
There will be plenty of toilet and food facilities within the stadium with ease of access a priority.
Stadium plans are to be submitted in January and everyone will see these details then.
I am sure UtJ will be providing a full report of the SAB consultation shortly so keep an eye on the front page. :thup:
Karren also confirmed that there will be a poll in, hopefully, January but this needs further consultation and advice on how it will be held.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Thanks UG :D