Open Meeting and Poll

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Re: Open Meeting and Poll

Post by Denbighammer »

Denbighammer wrote:Really Pinky? Just because of the move or something else?
Pinky wrote:Purely the move, Den .Like many others I have my matchday routines - both home and away , but it just won't be the same in a different ground .Some people say they will just do the aways , but for me that's the same as married people who should divorce but stay together for the kids - it's just living a lie .
Thats such a shame but I fear that your not alone. Mind you if you change your mind I don't think you'll have much trouble getting tickets......
Will you still do aways? Nothing beats a good away trip IMO.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

hadleighhammer wrote: Nope, but UG was trying to lay into them as not being representative for asking G&S&B for us to be polled. WHU's view? want to get a poll for the fans. The SAB is far more worrying that they have made the decision for us in G&S&B's interpretation of events, even if your interpretation is different to their's.
I was not laying into them - I was stating facts.
I simply cannot understand why a poll, at this moment in time, would be of any use seen as details of the bid have not been released. The reasons for the details not being available are down to the OPLC regulations.
I'm pretty sure that DG, DS and KB along with the rest of the WHUFC people working on the bid, would be happy to share the plans with us, the fans, should they be allowed. But they are not.

I do not think that WHU's View? represent me as they have a negative stance to the bid in the first place. I know that the majority of the people belonging to this group seem to regularly show their disdain to moving to the OS and have joined groups on Facebook etc to show their objections, posted 'NO to the OS' posters etc.
A little bit of research goes a long way...

Example:
A main person from WHU's view expressing his opinion on FBook wrote:Now it appears we may not go for the Olympic Stadium, are you pleased?
Delighted! Never wanted the move
mywhufc wrote:This is where i hope to put my point of view on all things West Ham, but mainly on what i perceive to be the madness of the current owners policy of moving from the Boleyn Ground to the Stratford athletic Stadium
At the end of the day our club will struggle, financially, to survive should we stay at the Boleyn. I don't want that - do you?
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

upton girlie wrote:
I was not laying into them - I was stating facts.
I simply cannot understand why a poll, at this moment in time, would be of any use seen as details of the bid have not been released. The reasons for the details not being available are down to the OPLC regulations.
I'm pretty sure that DG, DS and KB along with the rest of the WHUFC people working on the bid, would be happy to share the plans with us, the fans, should they be allowed. But they are not.

I do not think that WHU's View? represent me as they have a negative stance to the bid in the first place. I know that the majority of the people belonging to this group seem to regularly show their disdain to moving to the OS and have joined groups on Facebook etc to show their objections, posted 'NO to the OS' posters etc.
A little bit of research goes a long way...

Example:
A main person from WHU's view expressing his opinion on FBook wrote:Now it appears we may not go for the Olympic Stadium, are you pleased?
Delighted! Never wanted the move
mywhufc wrote:This is where i hope to put my point of view on all things West Ham, but mainly on what i perceive to be the madness of the current owners policy of moving from the Boleyn Ground to the Stratford athletic Stadium
upton girlie wrote:At the end of the day our club will struggle, financially, to survive should we stay at the Boleyn. I don't want that - do you?
Who says we will struggle
Just because I am anti don't mean WHUs view is anti
Why not name "a main person from WHUs view"
Don't confuse me and WHUs view, 2 different things
WHUs view has 1 aim, not to stop the move but to get the fans a vote on it. That's it
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

There on people on WHU's VIEW's committee who are both for and against the move.

WHU'S VIEW is neither for or against - it exists simply to try to get a poll so supporters can give their view as to whether we should move - in line with government and Football Supporters' Federation policy.

Why oppose a poll? (unless you think that the majority of fans oppose your view whether for or against).
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Who says we will struggle
Anybody with the remotest grasp of modern football finances.
DD
Has liked: 1 like

Post by DD »

The point that seems to be being missed is that a ballot can be worded in such a way to take account for the fact that the majority of us know very little about the plans ie if respondents answer yes or no to certain questions they can be re-directed to others to give more of an explanation. For example, if people answer no to moving with the info already at hand, it could be asked what would change their mind.

Now, for many, nothing may change their mind but for a good few, certain modifications could change that. Now, I know that this may only back-up the 200 page document that the SAB submitted but it could add more weight to the argument or it may not.....therein lies the beauty of asking the question to the majority of fans. Supressing this until after a decision is made is utterly pointless

Overall, I don't see what harm a ballot would do and let's remember WHU's view are only doing it because they were given a load of BS by the Club who have changed their mind on this very subject.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Poll or no poll I think the club are burying their heads in the sand if they think they'll replace the long standing STH that will not be renewing.

Some I know aren't even renewing next season if BFS is still in charge, even if we make the PL and if the 20% happens :shock:

These guys have been going donkeys years. Dinamo Tbilisi away is on their CV
brownout

Post by brownout »

WHU'S VIEWS? poll question is simply:

Based on all available information do you agree with West Ham United's proposed move to the Olympic Stadium?

As said above, there is no point asking the fans after a deal is signed.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Pedant wrote:Anybody with the remotest grasp of modern football finances.
are Norwich or Swansea struggling then, stoke city, Fulham ? Can any club our size be self sufficient in the prem league and not reliant on owners to top up. We don't need a 60,000 seater stadium either with an athletics track or not to survive as a club either in or out of the prem league.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Are you saying Fulham (the only remotely comparable club in your list in terms of the property market reality it faces) don't have an owner topping up?

In fact let me add to

"Anybody with the remotest grasp of modern football finances."

with

"anyone with the tiniest shred of a grasp of the brutal reality of developing inside the M25".
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

A reminder that there is a meeting in the Supporter' Club this evening from 7pm for anyone interested in discussing a polling of fans at future home games. Any views are equally welcome as we remain a neutral campaign that simply asks for the balloting of fans.

WHUs View?
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

4th April WHU's View Meeting

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

Unable to attend tonights meeting due to other commitments, but was wondering if there would be a transcript of tonights meeting posted anywhere?

:crest:
Doc H Ball

Re: 4th April WHU's View Meeting

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hello HEH.

Just back from the meeting. I'll post a summary of what was discussed tomorrow.

:thup:
HarlowEssexHammer

Would be much appreciated Doc,

I am currently writing my university dissertation on the Olympic Legacy and the role WHU will ultimately have upon it should the Stratford move happen. Any topics covered last night would be of great help.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

HarlowEssexHammer wrote:Would be much appreciated Doc,

I am currently writing my university dissertation on the Olympic Legacy and the role WHU will ultimately have upon it should the Stratford move happen. Any topics covered last night would be of great help.
If you really want to know what attending fans think, then handing out polling leaflets and talking to them is the best 'primary source' info you could wish for. It is what the club should have done.

There will be a news story and release on this site shortly with details.
brownout

Post by brownout »

Just to make it clear that this was an open meeting, not an anti OS meeting.
Supporters present held a range of views.
WHU’s VIEW? exists with the single aim to campaign for an independent poll of West Ham supporters to be held prior to the club committing itself to moving to the Olympic Stadium. Members of WHU’s VIEW? hold a range of views, but WHU’s VIEW? is strictly neutral on whether the club should move.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

How many fans have seen the plans?

They are the only ones in position to vote on anything.

How can any fan form an opinion on the move without such information? I am a season ticket holder of many years and I can't tell you if the move will be the best for the club without seeing what the plans are either way.

Would I vote yes to move to the Olympic Stadium exactly as it is now, NO I wouldn't!

Would I vote yes to move to the Olympic Stadium if changes are made, it's branded West Ham and the club will benefit financially then Yes 100%.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

MD_HM wrote:How can any fan form an opinion on the move without such information? I am a season ticket holder of many years and I can't tell you if the move will be the best for the club without seeing what the plans are either way.
Isn't that the key point though ?

The decision to move to Stratford will be made before you see any plans .

You are, by your own admission , a STH of many years , and you haven't even been asked your opinion .How do you feel about that ? How will you feel about that 20 seconds after you walk into the OS and realise you've been shafted ?
HarlowEssexHammer

brownout wrote:Just to make it clear that this was an open meeting, not an anti OS meeting.
Supporters present held a range of views.
WHU’s VIEW? exists with the single aim to campaign for an independent poll of West Ham supporters to be held prior to the club committing itself to moving to the Olympic Stadium. Members of WHU’s VIEW? hold a range of views, but WHU’s VIEW? is strictly neutral on whether the club should move.
Brownout, I'm aware of WHU's View and have signed the petition myself. Personally I am against the OS move, but my dissertation that I am writing is completely from a third person, non-biased perspective. Only interested in facts and other fans' opinions, I am remaining neutral (like WHU's View) in the writing of the project.