david gold on lbc tonight

All you need to know about West Ham United FC's potential move to Stratford.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Dapablo ,
When we had the first poll here on Kumb about whether we'd like to move to the OS or not , I voted YES .
I voted YES because I thought that by moving to the OS it would give West Ham United a chance of mixing it with the big boys , as we'd have bigger crowds and maybe just maybe a richer owner . We'd all want that wouldn't we ?
After all , that's what happened to Manchester City , and that could be us , right ?
Then I thought ,' What if the crowds don't get any bigger , what if the rich Arab doesn't fancy buying a club in rented accomodation , what if we're in the Championship for years and years , never investing , just existing , the Daves just getting older and less interested ? '
That's when I thought the gamble wasn't worth it , and it is a gamble , you know , nothing is certain , and maybe we don't own a flashy , state of the art modern building , but it is ours and it's full every other week , that is certain , and that was when I voted ' NO ' in our second poll .

Mind you , if the Daves could guarantee us a rich Arab who could turn us into the next ' Noisy neighbours' , then I could be tempted to change my mind . :wink:
User avatar
The Old Man of Storr
 
Posts: 13792
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 pm
Location: Lost In the Recesses Of My Mind .

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby bobd_uk on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:55 pm

cockney hammer wrote:how much money would we get for selling the boleyn?


Not enough to cover the cost of moving.
bobd_uk
 
Posts: 7212
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:27 pm

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby Hammer Matty on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:42 pm

cockney hammer wrote:how much money would we get for selling the boleyn?


Not enough.

If you factor in the memories and history, that stadium is priceless.

Long live the Boleyn.
User avatar
Hammer Matty
 
Posts: 2239
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:46 pm

Thought Ian Dale came across as a right tool. 70K people come through my site a month. Just because Peter mentioned a poll on KUMB.

And David Gold came across as a bit of a plum to be honest.

If you knew what was involved I can convince everyone to switch. (But of course I can't tell anyone).

Like the little kid up the street who has a secret so big..But can't (or won't tell you) and when it all comes out, it's a load of bollcoks.
User avatar
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
 
Posts: 22999
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:19 pm
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby NH Hammer on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Up the Junction

thanks for the link :thup:
User avatar
NH Hammer
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:02 pm

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby cockney hammer on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:10 pm

i have e mailed dale five times about putting a link of my website on his page and not once has he had the common decency to reply i would sooner he said **** off


no need for rudeness in my book :thdn:
User avatar
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
 
Posts: 102706
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:52 pm
Location: http://boleynbadges.com

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby eastsidejon on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Thought Ian Dale came across as a right tool. 70K people come through my site a month. Just because Peter mentioned a poll on KUMB.


Listening to Dale's odd mixture of arrogance, sycophancy and condescension I feel like I've been covered in an unpleasant coating of slime.
User avatar
eastsidejon
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:19 am
Location: 4.71 miles from The Boleyn Ground

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby dapablo on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:24 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I voted ' NO ' in our second poll .

Mind you , if the Daves could guarantee us a rich Arab who could turn us into the next ' Noisy neighbours' , then I could be tempted to change my mind .


Snap, but for a different reason, I don't trust the government to accomodate us properly, so I assume like me your applying logic and want a decision based on that basis rather than the more nebulous "because it'll be rubbish I can tell". :)
User avatar
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face
 
Posts: 4464
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:12 am

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby sjb958 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:32 pm

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. Replies may also be deleted.
sjb958
 
Posts: 1814
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:32 pm

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby Up the Junction on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:50 pm

eastsidejon wrote:Listening to Dale's odd mixture...

Can we please stick to the subject matter and refrain from continuing this character assassination. Thank you.
User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
 
Posts: 48865
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:03 am

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby eastsidejon on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:05 pm

eastsidejon wrote:Listening to Dale's odd mixture...

Up the Junction wrote:Can we please stick to the subject matter and refrain from continuing this character assassination. Thank you.


Fair enough boss, but that's how he comes across to me. Not intended as a character assassination, just an observation on his broadcasting style.
User avatar
eastsidejon
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:19 am
Location: 4.71 miles from The Boleyn Ground

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby the pink palermo on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:39 am

the pink palermo wrote:Ah, the old , "lets have a dig at the SAB" comment .Well, I'm on that , and I doubt anyone who has ever read one of my posts would have me down as being in the clubs pocket .

Up the Junction wrote:How do you feel about the fact that Gold is using your group to justify the board's plans to push through the OS move, Pinks?

Given that you're actively opposed to the move, is the SAB doing more harm than good?


UtJ, I believe the SAB only really exists to satisfy a UEFA requirement for supporter consultation - it's one of the multitude of conditions for being granted a licence for entering their competitions .All clubs with aspirations to compete in Europe need to have some form of consultatiive process in place .

You've used the phrase "your group" whereas I would think of it as "our group" - I take it seriously , and give feedback and seek views from those who sponsored me onto it .Those that did have some 5000 plus attended matches between them , so I would class them as being serious stakeholders in the club .Today , at the Barnsley match I was having to apologise profusely to a few of them as they seemed to have the impression that 100% of the SAB were in favour of and supported the proposed move to Stratford .Fortunately , I had my story straight because I had already had to give the same explanation to several others who had phoned and texted me on Wednesday morning . All of them know me well enough to believe that I wouldn't be in favour and therefore the Board members who are spinning tales of 100% support lack credibility, however if you are Baroness Ford on the OPLC all you would know is what is quoted in the Telegraph .

Credibility is of course the key issue .If the club wish to have a credible SAB then it needs to present the facts as they are, not as they would prefer them to be , otherwise the entire process becomes a farce .

I'm honest , I'm not in favour of the move for a number of reasons - the lack of a ballot being one, the lack of a compelling argument being presented by the club as to what benefits fans will receive , and how the team will benefit , being another , but I am willing to accept that there are fans who do want to relocate , and no doubt about it ,there are quite a few on the SAB that do want to go to Stratford .That's why they joined the SAB, and it's why they wanted onto the Olympic stadium focus group , but it doesn't mean they are typical amongst our fans .They may be , they may not .......fact is , nobody knows .There are others on the SAB who hold a different view .....we may be more typical , or possibly less ......who knows .Having stood with the rank and file at Oakwell today I think I've a reasonable idea which is more likely .

Sadly , for reasons best known to themselves two members of the Board appear happy to put a selective interpretation on the feedback being given to them on behalf of fans, and many views are simply being ignored .

How do I feel ? Personally , embarassed, as nobody likes being used .

Do I think the SAB will do more harm than good ? I think there's a risk it may .The comments attributed to the Vice Chair by the Telegraph have certainly compromised it .If Karren has been misquoted I believe a denial or a clarifying statement may be the best thing for her to do .

I gave some very specific feedback to a member of the clubs executive team on Wednesday evening , pointing out the damage the Bond scheme did to our attendences , I offered a couple of simple suggestions as to how the club could give information on the OS without compromising any OPLC confidentiality agreements , and asked , on no fewer than a dozen occasions for that person to take a message back that asking your "customers" is a smart move , and by that I mean all of them . I virtually begged for a voting slip to be printed in the matchday programme............not because dozens of people had asked for one , but because they hadn't asked for one .I fear the club is making the very grave error of confusing compliance with committment .As many business owners will tell you the customers that complain ain't the problem .......it's the ones that don't , they simply disappear without you realising it .

Seeking the views of 43 people in a "focus group" is all well and good , but those people will only buy so many tickets at Stratford.................the 30,000 other regular attendees at the Boleyn are the ones who will need to be persuaded to go to Stratford , and delivering it as a fait accompli won't get the club off to a good start in that respect .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 36890
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Whining is what we are here for

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby Any Old Iron on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:00 am

Pink, you may not be a stooge of the club but you've admitted yourself that the majority of the SAB are in favour of the OS and that is precisely the reason many of them signed up. That makes them stooges in my book.

You say that a couple of the board are putting a selective interpretation on the feedback. I'd say they're telling downright lies and Brady is quite brazen about it. I believe she has nothing but contempt for most of the supporters. They're convinced that if they keep repeating the BIG LIE then we'll eventually swallow it.

All this talk of not being able to reveal all the plans for the OS is a smokescreen. The stadium isn't suited for major changes and we can forget about retractable seating. Besides, why would the club spend millions on changes to a stadium that doesn't belong to us.

There is only one reason that they're avoiding a poll of the fans. They know that it would be a strong NO vote. If they thought it would go in their favour we'd have voted long ago.

Let's face it, the whole thing stinks.
User avatar
Any Old Iron
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:46 pm

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby eastsidejon on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:36 am

Any Old Iron wrote:Let's face it, the whole thing stinks.


I admire TPP for becoming involved via the SAB and wouldn't suggest for one minute that he's anyone's stooge but I find myself agreeing with UTJ and Any Old Iron on this.

I've always found it more conducive to my sanity to "just" be a fan and not get involved in any formal capacity outside of shouting my head off on a Wednesday or Saturday. As big a part as West Ham has played in my life for the last 46 years and as much as I'm opposed to the OS move and think that we are being taken for mugs by the club in general and Brady in particular, I have to leave it behind outside of 90 minutes twice a week.

Life's too ****ing short, what will be will be and there's a tennis court with my name on it in an hour's time.
User avatar
eastsidejon
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:19 am
Location: 4.71 miles from The Boleyn Ground

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby the pink palermo on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:40 am

Any Old Iron

I don't agree on your description of other fans who happen to have a different opinion on the OS as stooges , but I'll defend your right to express your opinion .

Which is the point .

I'm fully aware of the smokescreen tactics the club are deploying, but I'm trying to avoid the use of too much inflamatory language for a reason.Your assessment of the Vice Chairs opinion of supporters is one I would share , and a topic upon which I have posted. at length, on this website about .

Karren has stated the intention is to deliver a category 4 UEFA stadium - which I think is interesting .Were she to study the design regulations she will have seen that temporary seating is specifically excluded

From the UEFA stadium infrastructure regulations 2010 .

Section 2: Spectator-related areas
Article 15 - Stands and spectator facilities
1 Seats for spectators must be individual, fixed (e.g. to the floor), separated from
one another, shaped, numbered, made of an unbreakable and non-flammable
material, and have a backrest of a minimum height of 30cm when measured
from the seat.
2 The use of temporary stands is prohibited.
3 The stadium must be equipped with refreshment and catering facilities for all
spectators in every sector of the stadium.

Now, clearly there is considerbale scope for interpretation of what exactly "temporary" means , but somebody may issue a challange ........

The clubs strategy is obvious .It's a cynical attempt to deliver a fait accompli , and force the fans to go to Stratford by deploying a scorced earth policy : sell the Boleyn , and effectively leave the fans no choice .

The bit they have misunderstood is in failing to recognise we do have a choice , and always will .Currently I choose to travel thousands of miles a year to support the team, driving past numerous pubs that show every West Ham game live before I hit the motorway - 2 miles away .In the future ,I'll make a different choice .

Mr Sullivan is on record as saying that clubs that operate as a democracy tend to go bust , which of course is rubbish .What is true however is that businesses that fail to listen to their customers tend to go bust ......
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 36890
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Whining is what we are here for

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby Doc H Ball on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:42 am

Any Old Iron wrote:That makes them stooges in my book.


Out of order mate. I know a few of them and they're alright.

It's the set up of the SAB which is the problem - they should be independent of the Club and have an elected chair etc.
User avatar
Doc H Ball
 
Posts: 8212
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: in nick

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby Any Old Iron on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Pink. We seem to be in agreement over what is happening re the OS. But I have absolutely no problem with people having opposing views to mine and I don't refer to them as stooges because they do. It's because, as you've previously pointed out, that a lot of people who joined up to the SAG already favoured the move. So it seems that the club were happy with this group as they had largely a bunch of yes-men in place who were unlikely to rock there OS boat.

What Brady says about cat 4 stadiums or whatever is irrelevant. It's all flim flam and bull**** and you know it. It's just a job to her. She doesn't give a flying **** what we think.

A definition of Stooge: A person who serves merely to support or assist others, particularly in doing unpleasant work: I think this just about sums up what the directors want from the SAG.

Doc. I didn't say that they're not alright, I sure most of them are. It's just that they're serving a purpose for our lying directors.
User avatar
Any Old Iron
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:46 pm

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby the pink palermo on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Any old Iron , as I've already pointed out, the SAB exists because of a requirement for supporter consultation as decreed by UEFA .in short if we didn't have one it could be grounds for refusal of a licence to compete in UEFA competitions .

Even without the SAB , the owners would be pursuing the OS .

You are entitled to whatever opinion you like but don't expect me to join in on digging out fellow fans who just happen to have a different opinion to you and I .

The issue is not the SAB, the issue is the misbehaviour of the Board .

In simple terms .Brady is trying to ram it through on the basis of "too good an opportunity to get something for almost nothing", Gold will attempt to justify it on "theres no choice, don't really want to do it , but what can you do " and Sullivan will say almost nothing other than "the fans can all **** off , I own this club , if they want to do something else , they can buy the club off me" .

Forget the SAB, in the context of what the Board are doing, it's just a sideshow .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 36890
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Whining is what we are here for

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby Any Old Iron on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Pink. Like I said before, it looks as though we're in pretty much complete agreement.
User avatar
Any Old Iron
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:46 pm

Re: david gold on lbc tonight

Postby hadleighhammer on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:43 am

the pink palermo wrote:The issue is not the SAB, the issue is the misbehaviour of the Board .


The SAB is a side issue compared to the Board's disgraceful actions, but is nevertheless an issue.

Surely the SAB could've said "Voting on our favourite kit design or which beers to serve in the bar is one thing, but something as important as this club changing, once in a lifetime OS move and as we believe there is a split in supporter opinion, we decline to vote and demand the board conduct a full survey of supporters."

Even if the board told you where to go and there was no survey, I'd have a lot more respect for the postive impact of the SAB if that had been on the minutes.
User avatar
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
 
Posts: 9231
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:18 pm
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

PreviousNext

Return to The Olympic Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests