Final Polling at Hull game

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Re: Final Polling at Hull game

Post by brownout »

After much checking, as of late this afternoon we do have final figures and these will be released on Monday when the various recipients will receive copies of the report.
There's not much we can say until then, other than to reiterate that every effort has been made to ensure that the poll was neutral and that the result was accurate and based on the votes of match attending fans.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

I don't expect that reason to pacify the sneerers,
Who's sneering?

You have been asked legitimate questions about the methodology and have spent more time duck and diving than addressing the issue.

The sample is not random, so you have no way of knowing even the degree to which it represents the active fan base (never mind those who are currently priced out). Obviously it is reasonable to expect to see this fully and properly acknowledged in any publicity, not sneering.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Pedant wrote: You have been asked legitimate questions about the methodology and have spent more time duck and diving than addressing the issue.

The sample is not random, so you have no way of knowing even the degree to which it represents the active fan base (never mind those who are currently priced out). Obviously it is reasonable to expect to see this fully and properly acknowledged in any publicity, not sneering.
No one is ducking or diving anything. You know full well that no 'sampling methodolgy' has been used, we are not Mori, we are a group of West Ham fans that asked the club to do a poll and got told that they do not wish to do one before the decision is made and so instead we had to do it ourselves.
The poll was carried out by standing outside the ground for 3 home games asking people to participate as well as online.Regardless of what you or MD_HM may think we have tried to make the poll as impartial as possible(regardless of anyones personal opinions) and have taken hours and days of our own time to ensure that no duplicate votes have been collected.
We fully acknowledge in the report that the result is not going to be 100% conclusive, and we do not claim it to be, but at this stage it is the best hope that most fans have to have a say. Most fans thanked us for going to the effort and can see the reasons why it was done. If you can't then fine.
brownout

Post by brownout »

It was not a Mori type opinion poll where 1000 or so people are carefully selected to fill various representative criteria.

It was like most elections - self selecting amongst those eligible to vote - in this case most match attending West Ham fans could choose to vote if they wished.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

pedant just give it a rest, the result will be out when it's out, I doubt it will make any difference or influence our owners at which point you can lock yourself away in the toilet with a picture of the stadium and have a good old **** dreaming of your shiny stadium, retractable seating, 60,000 spectators and the untold riches and success that you seem to think that the move will bring Headbanger
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Blimey. Really powerful argument, there frankie. Could you point to where I have made any such assertions (rather than just asking for some sign that the survey is in any way representative)?

Whuview might have worked hard, but it does not mean they worked well (fatuous comparisons with mayoral elections and claims to be working to eliminate double counting, while utterly ignoring those who are currently priced out of regular attendance, rather emphasise that).
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Pedant wrote:Blimey. Really powerful argument, there frankie. Could you point to where I have made any such assertions (rather than just asking for some sign that the survey is in any way representative)?

Whuview might have worked hard, but it does not mean they worked well (fatuous comparisons with mayoral elections and claims to be working to eliminate double counting, while utterly ignoring those who are currently priced out of regular attendance, rather emphasise that).
Who's been priced out, a season ticket in trev brooking or bob Moore lwr meant average seat cost under £23.
More discounted games this season, and who says it will be cheaper than that at stratford.
What more could we have done than stand out side the ground for three games asking for votes?
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

I've been priced out, as I said upthread. Used have a BML ST. Can no longer afford it.

Nearly got a half season this year, but the overdraft wouldn't stand it.

Given that the Daves have explicitly stated that they want to lower ticket prices - and that Hearn is up in arms about that very thing - I will be stunned if it is not cheaper at Stratford.

But then I know, for certain, as much about that as you do about WHU's plans - but that didn't stop you presenting yourself as the voice of the fans.

And now I have seen just how slanted the question was - and the absence of a "Don't Know/ Want more details" option - it looks even more worthless.
brownout

Post by brownout »

We asked those who weren't season ticket holders or members to state roughly how many games they attended. Some were just a few, some quite a lot, so the survey included some who don't attend much, perhaps due to price. I'd suggest that many of those who might attend more regularly if ticket prices were lower would still have gone to one of the last few games, perhaps able to pick their games rather than every week.

If we had opened it up to anyone who might have attended in the past or the future, current attenders would of complained that they should have had more say, and we would have run the risk of the poll being hijacked by online voters who were not West Ham fans.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

All perfectly true and all adding up to a statistically worthless bit of canvassing.
adie

Post by adie »

I haven't heard the promise of cheap tickets since the first bid and then it was only for the **** seats (Gold's words not mine). The cheap tickets were never for season tickets either, you see as a season ticket holder the club see us as already commited and don't need incentives.
brownout

Post by brownout »

Kumb's current poll has 3 times as many votes against as for, suggesting that WHU's VIEW's poll of match attenders is not a long way out of line with KUMB members.

The club were quite happy to quote KUMB's previous poll (taken at time when Spurs were serious bidders) which was pro the move.

The club are ignoring the views of the majority of supporters.

A handful of posters here are rubbishing WHU's VIEW's poll or questioning methodology but ignoring the bigger picture - the majority of fans don't want to move and the club are ignoring them - not even giving fans the chance to have a say.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

The club are ignoring the views of the majority of supporters.
You have no meaningful basis for that assertion.
A handful of posters here are rubbishing WHU's VIEW's poll or questioning methodology but ignoring the bigger picture
If you had done a proper survey no-one would need to question it.

And again, you have absolutely no valid basis for your claim. Yours is a self-selecting canvas, with no method at all of controlling who is eligible and is very picky about who are "proper" supporters.

Most supporters would think there are other sites available that WHU could compete for (there aren't)
Most supporters would think redeveloping UP is viable (it isn't)
Most supporters are blind to how rammed to capacity the UP transport situation is (completely, with only Forest Gate Crossrail in prospect in 2018 or so)

So given what most supporters know, what makes the few who bothered with your (or KUMB's etc) poll worth listening to?

The board would be insane (and quite possibly failing in their fiduciary duty as directors) if they did not have a damned good go at securing the highest profile stadium in the land on the best possible terms. But even if they weren't the tens of millions they have put into to save the club from extinction has earned them the right to give it a lash. Doesn't mean they will succeed - and UP may yet end up being the least bad option, thanks to Brown's dithering in the 90s - but it is frankly refreshing to see a board with a bit of ambition for the first time in 100 years.

And certainly they should not feel obliged to take any notice of a poorly constructed poll with a horribly slanted question, run by people who can barely keep there agenda secret.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Pedant wrote: If you had done a proper survey no-one would need to question it.
Unlees of course they only wanted to disrupt and destroy the valid message the survey WHU'sview has highlighted , hoping that it gets lost in the noise.
Pedant wrote: And again, you have absolutely no valid basis for your claim. Yours is a self-selecting canvas, with no method at all of controlling who is eligible and is very picky about who are "proper" supporters.
Well starting with people that attend matches is a reasonable place to start , they at least represent the people willing to spend their money with the club , unlike others who choose to sneer from behind their computer keyboards.
Pedant wrote: Most supporters would think there are other sites available that WHU could compete for (there aren't)
So, now without asking them you know what most supporters think , that's quite a talent you have ......for someone who is an expert on the property market in and around East London, as you appear to be claiming .
Pedant wrote: Most supporters would think redeveloping UP is viable (it isn't)
Ah, forgive me, I thought your expertise was as a property surveyor, when you now seem to be an expert on cost accounting .
Pedant wrote: Most supporters are blind to how rammed to capacity the UP transport situation is (completely, with only Forest Gate Crossrail in prospect in 2018 or so)
Whoops, forgive me again, it would appear you failed your CIMA tests and so you became a bus driver ? Nowt wrong with that by the way , perhaps we've met ..
Pedant wrote: So given what most supporters know, what makes the few who bothered with your (or KUMB's etc) poll worth listening to?
Perhaps your chosen profession of asking for the exact fare gives you the opportunity to ask West Ham supporters what they know " That's £1.90 to Barking, and can you tell me all you know please" .....
Pedant wrote: The board would be insane (and quite possibly failing in their fiduciary duty as directors) if they did not have a damned good go at securing the highest profile stadium in the land on the best possible terms.
Back to serious stuff , perhaps the first year of CIMA were easy enough for you to grasp ,or is this now a demonstration of your legal expertise , tell me why Spurs Directors won't be accused of the same.
Pedant wrote: But even if they weren't the tens of millions they have put into to save the club from extinction has earned them the right to give it a lash
Well, it seems that accountancy ain't your strong point after all.......
Pedant wrote: Doesn't mean they will succeed - and UP may yet end up being the least bad option, thanks to Brown's dithering in the 90s - but it is frankly refreshing to see a board with a bit of ambition for the first time in 100 years.
How old are you is normally a question asked of people who seem a bit young , but to have observed the West Ham Boards of 100 years , well I have to ask , how old are you ?
Pedant wrote: And certainly they should not feel obliged to take any notice of a poorly constructed poll with a horribly slanted question, run by people who can barely keep there agenda secret.
At least they had the manners to ask regular match attenders , which is more than the club have done .

Given your expertise in , Accountancy , Law, Real Estate, Logistics, and Marketing research I find it baffling that you claim to have been priced out of attending matches .............perhaps if you had actually done some ****ing work instead of all that studying which appears to have made you a king size smart arse, you may have a few quid to spare for a ticket .
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

adie wrote:I haven't heard the promise of cheap tickets since the first bid and then it was only for the **** seats (Gold's words not mine). The cheap tickets were never for season tickets either, you see as a season ticket holder the club see us as already commited and don't need incentives.
I agree with all of that....I can't remember the last time Gold and Sullivan spoke about cheap tickets! :thup:
adie

Post by adie »

Pedant when you gonna put your money where your mouth is and do a poll yourself or get your mates on the board to do it ? Actions speak louder than words and you're all chat with nothing to back it up.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Pedant wrote:I've been priced out, as I said upthread. Used have a BML ST. Can no longer afford it.
You say that you have not had the chance to vote as you have been priced out and yet you could have voted online if you werent at the ground as you clearly new about the poll.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

paulhs1 wrote:I agree with all of that....I can't remember the last time Gold and Sullivan spoke about cheap tickets! :thup:
Why on Earth would Gold and Sullivan say anything about cheap tickets when that's number one on the list of things that rattles Hearns cage ? He's already raining any objection that he can think of without giving him any extra ammo....
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

[/quote]I agree with all of that....I can't remember the last time Gold and Sullivan spoke about cheap tickets! :thup:[/quote]
Iron-worx wrote:[Why on Earth would Gold and Sullivan say anything about cheap tickets when that's number one on the list of things that rattles Hearns cage ? He's already raining any objection that he can think of without giving him any extra ammo....
When has Gold and Sullivan ever cared about Hearn and what he thinks? The initial arguement for the move was cheap tickets, but they have hardly mentioned it for a while now.
Pedant

Post by Pedant »

Oh, pinky - you are so sexy when angry (and you must be angry a lot, give how frequently you are wrong).

A simple search of this forum, ITBS and WHO shows how right my statements are and - statistically speaking - they are every bit as valid as WHUview's mob-whipping exercise in faux-polling.
tell me why Spurs Directors won't be accused of the same.
Because they gave it their best go and got a nice bung out of it. Do you even watch the news? (and I know that Boris is bending over backwards to keep them sweet) They also spent more than 15 years looking for a new site and the only remotely viable one they found is now News International's print works. Another one they looked pretty hard at is set to become Google's new UK HQ.

Anyway, I'll leave the stampy-foots to huddle together for warmth.

Oh:

@adie - I'm not the one trying to whip up faux-outrage.