Decision on stadium likely to be delayed

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Re: Decision on stadium likely to be delayed

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hammer110 wrote: No, because one of our chairman said there would be no poll.
Official press release following WHU's View? poll result:

“West Ham United remains committed to extensive supporter consultation, including an official poll representative of all supporters, once we are permitted to share our vision for the Stadium".

It's probably a 'passing reference' :D
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

brownout wrote:So why are the club saying they will hold a poll?
They have given different messages about holding a poll for the last 9 months.
Yes it is a business, although a highly unusual one due to the very small number of customers who will 'switch brands', but the club aren't saying this. They are saying they'll listen to the fans and that they'll hold a poll, but few of us trust them to do so.
Lets put it this way, I wouldn't be holding any polls....

I would consider every aspect of it, including fans propensity to go to matches or not which is their decision, then I'd make a decision whether to move or not....

No polls or votes, that's for democracies not businesses....

I can't think of any reason as to why the board would think any different to that.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Iron-worx wrote:I can't think of any reason as to why the board would think any different to that.
Except they have said they will.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Doc H Ball wrote:Official press release following WHU's View? poll result:

“West Ham United remains committed to extensive supporter consultation, including an official poll representative of all supporters, once we are permitted to share our vision for the Stadium".

It's probably a 'passing reference' : D
Doesnt change the fact that one of our chairmen said there wouldnt be a poll :P

Not sure how I missed that but I note there is wriggle room it says "representative of all supporters", that doesn't necessarily mean all supporters will be allowed to take part!
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

There's no way the club will hold a proper poll unless they think they'll win it.

Meanwhile they'll say that 50%, 70%, 100%, or whatever figure they think of that day, back the move.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

David Gold ‏@DavidGoldWHU

We were told the decision on the Olympic Stadium would be made on the 21st May 2012 this has now been put back indefinitely. DG

Forget 8 weeks ?
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

LLDC have reopened the bidding for 8 weeks, the target is for signing contracts with the for the reconstruction is October, so the decision should be any-time between mid July and October.

Only this country could make such a mess of the seemly simple job of giving away a stadium!
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Pop Robson wrote:David Gold ‏@DavidGoldWHU

We were told the decision on the Olympic Stadium would be made on the 21st May 2012 this has now been put back indefinitely. DG

Forget 8 weeks ?
Pop...Gold posted this Tweet on Saturday at a time when everyone was tweeting him about the 5 year 20% loyalty discount. The tweets then swiftly changed to the olympic stadium!
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Doc H Ball wrote:Except they have said they will.
Then what on Earths all the bleating about ?

If that's that's case they'll be allowing a poll that I certainly wouldn't...

The clubs a business not a democracy and I wouldn't be deferring it's decision making to the semi informed and less than every aspect considering.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Hammer110 wrote:LLDC have reopened the bidding for 8 weeks, the target is for signing contracts with the for the reconstruction is October, so the decision should be any-time between mid July and October.

Only this country could make such a mess of the seemly simple job of giving away a stadium!

I don't think they've made a mess of it, it's that they've faced extraordinary litigants, complainants and downright underhand tactics....

They awarded the stadium in what looked to be good enough fashion only for there to be judicial reviews, complaints and private investigation of their executives.....

Wouldn't anybody put clauses in place and make sure that every last I was dotted and t crossed given what's happened ?

Its the litigants, complainants and the underhand who've made the mess of it by forcing them to be defensive of every last thing they do.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Iron-worx wrote:Then what on Earths all the bleating about ?
That they've backtracked faster than an Italian tank since saying that, with Sullivan saying there won't be a poll.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

EvilC wrote:That they've backtracked faster than an Italian tank since saying that, with Sullivan saying there won't be a poll.
Then I make the mistake saying it in the first place and the correction Sullivan saying that there won't be....

I really don't understand why anybody should expect that there should be a poll, the club is a business not a democracy, while even if it were a democracy even then the vote would be for a person not for the decision yes or no...

Do you honestly believe in your wildest dreams that if a poll were to be held people would read through all the terms and conditions of the lease, through projections, forecasts, costings and reams and reams of other technical stuff before they voted yes or no ?

Of course they wouldn't, they'd vote on knowledge of next to nothing of it.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Iron-worx wrote:Then I make the mistake saying it in the first place and the correction Sullivan saying that there won't be....

I really don't understand why anybody should expect that there should be a poll, the club is a business not a democracy, while even if it were a democracy even then the vote would be for a person not for the decision yes or no...

Do you honestly believe in your wildest dreams that if a poll were to be held people would read through all the terms and conditions of the lease, through projections, forecasts, costings and reams and reams of other technical stuff before they voted yes or no ?

Of course they wouldn't, they'd vote on knowledge of next to nothing of it.
So you've said, it's a business etc. They are of course entitled to do what they like. Punters are also entitled to express an opinion, including pushing them for the poll that they said they would undertake.

Many of the supporters will still be there in the OS once G&S are either pushing up daisies or have sold the club. The "mistake" was just another thing to add to the mish-mash of poor information, lies, misleading statements etc. The whole thing has been a debacle - whilst I am just a punter, the club has handled the situation badly. They have talked about taking people's ideas on board, yet so my knowledge haven't actually followed that up.

I will look forward to saying I misjudged them if they eventually produce an awesome plan for a football stadium. I'm not holding my breath though.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

brownout wrote:After the 20% season ticket discount debacle is there anyone left who trusts the owners to hold the promised poll and listen to fans after we are awarded the stadium - and to turn it down if the fans say no?
Err, not me.

More likely is an unveiling of the OS with some form of declaration that the move arose due to the overwhelming call for a new home from the supporters.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

EvilC wrote:
So you've said, it's a business etc. They are of course entitled to do what they like. Punters are also entitled to express an opinion
Seems like you've answered it in one. Yes they are entitled to do what they like and yes punters are entitled to go to games or not.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Iron-worx wrote:Seems like you've answered it in one. Yes they are entitled to do what they like and yes punters are entitled to go to games or not.
Going to games or not is different from expressing an opinion.