NO to Olympic Stadium banners/flags

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bendavids

Re: NO to Olympic Stadium banners/flags

Post by bendavids »

God I hope you end up loving the Olympic Stadium.
MikeNewell'sOldBoys
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by MikeNewell'sOldBoys »

Agree with everyone else on the thread. Don't want to see any anti OS banners. Everything about our support should be positive.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

MikeNewell'sOldBoys wrote:Agree with everyone else on the thread. Don't want to see any anti OS banners. Everything about our support should be positive.
:clap: 100% right.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

adie wrote:before the bid was put in people said don't protest till we know the club is gonna bid, we might not bid, now we have bid, people are saying any protest should have been done before we bid or wait till Monday. Damned if I do, damned if I don't
I have never said that, but the point is for any protest to have any chance of success it needed to have started months ago and built up till the claimed majority against were of one voice letting the club know they do not want to go to the O/S but instead apart from mywhufc's attempt first time round there has been no concerted effort by the majority to oppose this move, a few thousand votes out of 30,000 aint going to cut the mustard. 10-15 thousand boycotting a game would have sent a message, as would a symbolic tearing up of S/T and membership cards at a half time, marching on the ground etc Lots of things could have been done and with the claimed majority behind it it would have made the club take notice! Instead the club aren't bothered because there is no real evidence that the majority oppose the move strongly enough for it to worry them.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Hammer110 wrote:Instead the club aren't bothered because there is no real evidence that the majority oppose the move strongly enough for it to worry them.
Its just a masterful piece of spin by the club. By releasing no concrete details or even giving firm hints about their plans they are cutting any kind of debate for or against off at the knees. The answer to any negative or positive comment can always be met with the same response. "We don't know because we haven't seen the final plans."

Personally, that sets alarms bells ringing as if the whole thing is so bloody good, why won't they lets us have a look?
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Denbighammer wrote:
Personally, that sets alarms bells ringing as if the whole thing is so bloody good, why won't they lets us have a look?
I think it's been said enough times by members of SAB, the club and the Olympic Park People themselves, confidentiality is one of the conditions of the process, but that really is an irrelevance, certain people are hammering on about this mythical majority against despite only anecdotal evidence to support it and this majority instead of campaigning against the move have (mostly) meekly accepted they will get whatever they are given or at best have said they will no longer got to home games.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

I fully intended to take my "say no to Stratford " flag with me today, but I have had doubts this week about it being the right place to fly it. I will prob still take it, hang it up where I'm drinking, but Not in the stadium, I want to enjoy today for the experience.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Denbighammer wrote:
Hammer110 wrote: I think it's been said enough times by members of SAB, the club and the Olympic Park People themselves, confidentiality is one of the conditions of the process, but that really is an irrelevance, certain people are hammering on about this mythical majority against despite only anecdotal evidence to support it and this majority instead of campaigning against the move have (mostly) meekly accepted they will get whatever they are given or at best have said they will no longer got to home games.
Sorry but I don't understand why confidentiality is so important? Why, when its being paid for by the taxpayer can we not be privy to whats going on?
biglee

Post by biglee »

next you would want to boo the national anthem... tut tut...
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Denbighammer wrote: Sorry but I don't understand why confidentiality is so important? Why, when its being paid for by the taxpayer can we not be privy to whats going on?
Are you really serious? You can't understand why confidentiality is so important ?

Did you not see the lawsuits, and complainants the last time they tried to award the stadium ?

Are you not aware that the executives of the awarding body were put under surveillance by private eyes to the extent that the police needed to be called in ?

The reasons for the confidentiality are blindingly obvious.
adie

Post by adie »

the reasons for the confidentiality are blindingly obvious;
Seb Coe=Tory party member. Boris Johnson=Tory party member. David Gold=Tory party member. David Sullivan=Tory party member. It's all a CONtrick, keep the fans in the dark so they can't object to the move, dropping in bullsh!t spin like 'fit for football' Bow Locks and how 100% of the fans are behind the move. All that cr@p about walking away if it ain't right for us is total tosh, the 2 Daves have spent well over a million quid on bidding, they ain't walking away from nothing, especially with Karren Brady involved, afterall she has a duty to honour the queen with a legacy to athletics, how else is she gonna be made a Dame ?
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Adie, as I have said before it's fairly standard practice in these sort of tenders for it to be confidential. We have just received the details of a tender process to develop some industrial land in partnership with the local authority, the initial bid will consist of three parts, what we want to pay, our outline business plan and whether we intend to apply for any public funds for the project, all contents of the bid are subject to binding non-disclosure clauses, which effectively only allow us to say that we have bid for the site.
adie

Post by adie »

ok so it's a secretive Tory plot. With West Ham United being the only bidders being named and the other four remaining a secret and Boris saying he is certain West Ham will be moving in, forgive me for thinking it's all but nailed on and we're being stitched up
adie

Post by adie »

the first bidding process was not secretive and that ended cos of legal issues that the Olympic bods and West Ham felt they couldn't win, so now they have arranged it so no one knows what's going on, whether legal or not and we are supposed to swallow this cofidentiality bullsh!t, really ?
adie

Post by adie »

this confidentiality clause is just one big cop out, in the first bidding process when there was no confidentiality clause yet the club wouldn't commit to retractable seating, now they use the secrets act to still not commit to retractable seating, why ? Personally I don't think retractable seating has ever been a consideration once they found out how expensive it is. With or without the confidentiality clause there has been no commitment to covering the track with reteractable seating, why are so many people convinced it will happen and what makes them so sure it will happen ?
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

3 out of 4 of the bidders are definitely in the public domain us, East London Uni & Essex CC, Livenation and I would guess the fourth is probably Newham, given that I believe there £40 million is still on the table!
Essex CC said in a statement to the BBC: 'We can confirm that the University of East London and Essex County Cricket Club have jointly put in a bid to the Olympic Park Legacy Company to utilise space in the Olympic stadium.
'We cannot provide any further detail at this stage, as we are bound by a legal confidentiality agreement.
'We can though state that both UEL and Essex Cricket see this as a fantastic opportunity. We are committed to supporting the achievement of the best possible outcomes from the Legacy operation of the Olympic Stadium.'
Talking to Bloomberg, Live Nation CEO Michael Rapino stated his reasons for the pursual: “It’s a prestigious stadium. We will make a competitive offer. If we can secure it, we will.”
So you think the retractable seating is a con despite a certain Mr Hearn wanting in now he believes it's possible?

The whole process was delayed because of issues to do with "technical improvements to the stadium and the opportunity to bid for the right to exploit the stadium naming rights.", basically one of the bidders has made proposals that weren't in the original bid, the LLDC are willing to accept these proposals but in order to do so they must give all those who expressed and interest the opportunity to bid on those terms. Now following on from that Barry Hearn has said ""Subject to the changes West Ham are asking for, namely covering the running track, we'd be interested in bidding for the stadium as part of a ground-share with them.". As Hearn was one of those who expressed an interest and he would have now seen the proposals that didn't form of the tender process, I think it's a reasonable to assume that the "technical improvements to the stadium" is retractable seating.

Now the first bid is past history and not really worth dragging up yet again but just to say the possibility of moveable/retractable seating was mentioned on numerous occasions by the club. And I am not sure where you got the idea there was no confidentially last time, there almost certainly was but not necessarily covering the same things as this time, as we were biding for the whole stadium to effectively do with as we pleased as long as we retained the track in a usable way.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

mywhufc wrote:I fully intended to take my "say no to Stratford " flag with me today, but I have had doubts this week about it being the right place to fly it. I will prob still take it, hang it up where I'm drinking, but Not in the stadium, I want to enjoy today for the experience.
Save it for the first game of the season mate. :wink:
adie

Post by adie »

cheers Hammer110 for the debates on the Olympic Stadium, you seem to know your onions and I think you're right they probably will have some sort of retractable seating, I don't think it's gonna be how some people imagine all nice and tight all around the pitch, more likely on just one or two sides of the pitch at a guess. Me personally I don't want to move from Upton Park, I like the area, the pubs, working man's club and supporters club, the food outlets, Ken's Cafe, me mates chippy by the station, all my earliest memories are around the area. I know a lot of people call it a **** hole but I don't see that, to me it ain't changed much since I first started to go in the season of 78/79 and I think it reflects where we came from just right, a football club born out of a works team, wherever we go I think it should be a working class area, just like Upton Park. That may be a bit sentimental but that's how I am. If it is a **** hole well it's our **** hole and I love it. As for the Olympic Stadium one thing that will put me off going is if we can't stand up anywhere, now at most grounds they accept behind the goals people will stand but what if the retractable seating is only on the sides and behind the goal is still really far away, people won't even want to be there let alone stand there. The other concern for me is the capacity, now we might get 40,000 but I think we'll struggle to fill the ground and so when we play the likes of ARSEnal, Spuds, Manure and Liverpool, they're gonna have fans dotted all around the ground, imagine if we draw m!llw#ll in the cup, how many of those slags are gonna get tickets in our ends, dread to think. I accept as a fan there is f#ck all I can do about us moving, come 2014 we will be the tenants of the Olmpic Stadium, it's pretty much nailed on, gonna cherish these last two seasons at the Boleyn Ground. Fingers crossed it turns out alright and all my fears are non existant. Anyway cheers for the chats Hammer110 and be lucky mate.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Hammer110 wrote: I would guess the fourth is probably Newham, given that I believe there £40 million is still on the table!
And I would guess that you're right seeing as it was their £40M that an anonymous complaint was made to the European Commission about the last time that an attempt was made to award the stadium - Reason for the LLDC to insist on confidentiality and for them to keep as low a profile as possible.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

adie wrote:the first bidding process was not secretive and that ended cos of legal issues that the Olympic bods and West Ham felt they couldn't win, so now they have arranged it so no one knows what's going on, whether legal or not and we are supposed to swallow this cofidentiality bullsh!t, really ?
I think it's time that we took a reality check and while we're at it also a check on fans importance in the scheme of things generally....

1. It has been explained in an earlier post how the last attempt to award the stadium collapsed in a flurry of lawsuits, complaints to the European Commission, and private investigations of both legacy officials and those from WHU resulting in police investigations and court adjudications.....

Those are obvious reasons for the London Legacy Development Corporation to adopt stringent confidentiality clauses this time around, emphasis here on LLDC adopting confidentiality clauses let's not make any mistakes in attributing where the confidentiality comes from, it comes from the LLDC.....

2. It has also been explained in an earlier post how to a certain extent it is perfectly normal for there to be confidentiality clauses in affairs such as this even where there is no history of lawsuits / complaints / private investigations and all the rest of it....

Confidentiality clauses are normal even ordinarily let alone following the collapse of an award attempt due to all manner of skulduggery. It is obvious why there's confidentiality and it really does beggar belief that it might be thought that after all that has gone on the LLDC would be minded to openness. Of course they're going to be secretive after all that, anybody of any nous would be...

3. It is absolutely extraordinary self important nonsense for anybody to think that confidentiality clauses might be put in place by the LLDC so as to prevent West Ham fans from having knowledge of the award process. The LLDC deals with and considers those who have submitted a tender, not those who follow those who have made a tender, West Ham fans are of more or less no consideration at all to the LLDC is the measure of things from their standpoint.