NO to Olympic Stadium banners/flags

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hammer110

Re: NO to Olympic Stadium banners/flags

Post by Hammer110 »

Not objecting to anyone's opinion.

I think you are missing my point, HarrowInnHammer and a few others on here say they will NEVER step inside the O/S, they are not sceptics, they are not interested in the plans, therefore they could, nay should have been protesting from day 1.

I agree the plans are key and no one should truly make up their mind till they really know what we are getting.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Hammer110, fair enough I guess saying you'll never go is rather extreme.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

People are actually threatening to stop supporting the club if we move to the OS? Loyal fans!

Whether you support the move or vehemently oppose it... this club is in my blood. A stadium isn't going to change that, nor anything else.

You're no better than the "day-trippers" you're worried about.
tavbet
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tavbet »

Hayden wrote:People are actually threatening to stop supporting the club if we move to the OS? Loyal fans!

Whether you support the move or vehemently oppose it... this club is in my blood. A stadium isn't going to change that, nor anything else.

I wonder how many of the old timers made a similar decision when we moved from the Memorial Ground. Can just hear the comments "I'm not paying tuppence to get the tram to East Ham". "We are are moving into East Ham United territory". Oh to have a time machine!
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Hayden wrote:People are actually threatening to stop supporting the club if we move to the OS? Loyal fans!

Outrageous comment and an insult to many postsers on here. I didn't see many day trippers in Braga did you? I think you need to be a little bit carefull what you say. Lots of those opposed to the move are Season Tickets holders some are away season ticket holders as well and to suggest they are no better than day trippers is an insult to people who spend a greater proportion of their income/savings on the club than the spunk dadies ever will. I'm sure those people are opposed to the move have their own valid reasons for doing so, some may be addressed when we see the plans and hear how much extra revenue the manager can expect to see once the move is complete some will not. How they then support the team will be a decision for them, many will just go to away games and pre season friendlies does that make them better than day trippers in your eyes?

Just because people stop going doesnt mean they will want the club to fail
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

tavbet wrote:I wonder how many of the old timers made a similar decision when we moved from the Memorial Ground. Can just hear the comments "I'm not paying tuppence to get the tram to East Ham". "We are are moving into East Ham United territory". Oh to have a time machine!
I hear people trotting this kind of guff out. West Ham have spent over 90% of their history at the Boleyn. They spent about five years at the Memorial Ground. There is not a person alive that can remember West Ham playing anywhere except Upton Park. People obviously didn't complain the same, its just a nonsense to say they would. For a start our average gates were only about 5,000, there weren't that many of us back then!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Hayden wrote:You're no better than the "day-trippers" you're worried about.
Uncalled for Hayden, I think an apology is in order here.
tavbet wrote:I wonder how many of the old timers made a similar decision when we moved from the Memorial Ground.
Where we'd played for seven years, as opposed to 107. Not exactly a fair comparison, is it.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

So if West Ham move to the OS for the next 100 years that Boleyn history will be less than 50% of its timeline. Chances are you won't be around in even 50 years time so will have been part of West Hams history for less than 25% of its time. I guess the average fan plays an insignificant part in the general life of a football club...
I still maintain the best way to really sample the Boleyn atmosphere is to spend a night in the West Ham hotel...I swear looking out on the dark ground with just a few lights illuminating the old stadium you really can hear voices of long gone fans echoing around in the stillness.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

Up the Junction wrote:Uncalled for Hayden, I think an apology is in order here.
The specific comment that provoked that post was HarrowInnHammer (previous page) and anyone who felt the same. He stated that 'they day we move to the Olympic Stadium the club is dead to him'.

As I clearly said in my post, I am addressing people like that who claim they would stop supporting the club. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and if you completely oppose the move to the OS that's fair enough, but for it to make you stop supporting the club you've supported all your life? That just doesn't sit right for me... The reference to daytrippers was in regards to them being fickle (an over-exaggeration sure, and I apologise). West Ham have made some horrendous decisions in the past, they've embarrassed us, supporting West Ham has felt like a curse at times, but you don't just stop supporting the club, you can't...

I apologise if anyone undeserving read that and took offence but anyone who would actually stop supporting the club over the stadium my comments still stand.
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

I won't blindly carry on going to something that will be everything I despise about modern football, and a total contrast to the club as it is now.
Would be hypocritical of me.
If that makes me as bad as a daytripper in your eyes so be it.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

There's plenty that won't be renewing ST's and/or not coming if we move, but they'll all still support the club, just like those that don't go now but will go to the OS along with the 5000 locals that'll be getting free tickets.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Pop Robson wrote:There's plenty that won't be renewing ST's and/or not coming if we move...
We'll see Pop. I think there's a lot of posturing going on at the moment.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Up the Junction wrote: We'll see Pop. I think there's a lot of posturing going on at the moment.
Maybe, but not from a lot of the real old timers that don't go online.

Either way it's each up to their own at the end of day.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Up the Junction wrote: We'll see Pop. I think there's a lot of posturing going on at the moment.
Perhaps .

There's also genuine concern from some of us and a feeling of being steam rollered by young Karren .

When I first started posting on Kumb it was at the time the club was up for sale - and if you recall whilst others were suggesting the club would be sold for hundreds of millions I started the club for a quid scheme , a bit like Kids for a quid, but the adults in the form of Mr Gold and Mr Sullivan benefited .

And, to be fair, good luck to them .

However, and this is a real bone of contention , not once have we had an acknowledgement or even thanks from them for continuing to buy tickets through the clubs darkest hour : our money - the fans , yours and mine, kept this club from sliding into administration, which would surely have happened before G&S could get their deal done .
In effect our loyalty created the platform from which they stand to make millions , and yet we are being consulted after the fact , not before .I've attended meetings and attempted to ask sensible questions - Ut,J ask a few that were there in February where I had my arm in the air for over 40 minutes before KB finally accepted she had better take a question from me as people were starting to giggle .......

Karren lacks empathy with the fans .....until she needs us .Suddenly , needing a PR super gloss from the fans I get a nice e-mail signed "Karren" .......

Charming when she needs us, rude at other times , and that's what causes me to distrust her motives and by extension what we will end up with at Stratford .That's why i have taken the stance I have , posturing , perhaps, but it's behaviour borne out of frustration and my observed behaviour of our Vice Chair .

Let me ask you straight UtJ . Do you trust her to do the best for us as fans ?
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

I feel privileged on behalf of my supporters,................. :shock:

Karren Brady in today's Sun
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Pop Robson wrote:Maybe, but not from a lot of the real old timers that don't go online.
I think there's a fair few who are in the 'over my dead body' camp who'll soon miss it. I hope so anyway, should we go.
the pink palermo wrote: Do you trust her to do the best for us as fans ?
That depends upon who you're referring to Pinkers - the 'us' as in those who want to go to Stratford, or the 'us' who don't...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Up the Junction wrote: That depends upon who you're referring to Pinkers - the 'us' as in those who want to go to Stratford, or the 'us' who don't...
You've missed your vocation guv :thup:

Neat dodge , but I think I have your answer .
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

HarrowInnHammer wrote:I won't blindly carry on going to something that will be everything I despise about modern football, and a total contrast to the club as it is now.
Would be hypocritical of me.
If that makes me as bad as a daytripper in your eyes so be it.
We're four years away from even setting foot in the OS, haven't seen the plans, don't know the prices and haven't seen the facilities that will be available.

And you don't want to be hypocritical?!
westhamnick

Post by westhamnick »

can people not see by cancel season tickets you are hurting the club even more. whether you support the idea or not the club needs to have you there, otherwise i fear we wont even half fill the stadium. But yer your right, its worth ruining the club to prove just how much you love upton park and despise the thought of moving 1 mile down the road to an incredible stadium, better transport links, cheaper tickets an opportunity to get new 'young fans', more income, more money to spend on players.....

i love upton park and would be just as happy if we stay their as i would be if we move. But i genuinely fear our own fans are going to ruin the club by 'striking'.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

westhamnick wrote:can people not see by cancel season tickets you are hurting the club even more. '.
An outrageous accusation .

Absolutely outrageous .