Now Hearn wants to ground share

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

AndyCarrollsBarber

Re: Now Hearn wants to ground share

Post by AndyCarrollsBarber »

Hearn is obviously thick. If Orient & West Ham were to groundshare, they would play at home every other week. These so called "floating" supporters who Hearn is so desperate to keep (even though they don't exist) would have to choose between watching a premier league side in front of 60k supporters, or a tinpot side in front of 2k supporters, where sitting next to Bob Mills would probably be more entertaining than watching what's going on on the pitch.

It doesn't take a genius to work out which one they would go for, yet Hearn continues to live in a world of his own.

Leyton Orient will obviously survive, as their supporters are undoubtedly as passionate as most other sides and won't jump ship just because some team nearby has a shiny new stadium. However, if they were to groundshare with WHU, that would pose more of a risk to them than staying put.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

The small corner shop can't do anything when a Tesco store opens up locally.

Compete or shut down.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

So Barry Hearn apparently wants to pursue more legal challenges as to force the authorities and West Ham to allow them to groundshare. I fully expect them to laugh him out of court. Also from what I've heard their so-called bid for tenancy/groundshare was less than convincing according to one senior member of the LLDC. If push came to shove the problem might sort itself out anyway.

If Orient were allowed to groundshare (again I don't see how any club could actually force the LLDC to allow them to use the OS) surely they had to pick up half of everything West Ham agree to pay.
Orient being a League One team would use the OS even more often than us as they have to play more home games. So one would expect them to pay around 1,25 million rent yearly, half of the conversion costs (another 10 or 20 million upfront I reckon) and obviously Hearn would also have to agree to share the profits from a potential Orient sale to another owner. I'm discounting the question of naming rights here totally as Orient are not relevant as a pull for naming right sponsors to the OS.

I think as soon as you start confronting Hearn with his financial obligations if he's serious about sharing the ground, he'd walk away immediately. I'd love to find out what he'd actually be willing to contribute for the privilege of playing in the OS...
Last edited by HamburgHammer on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

I can't see where he has grounds for a legal challenge.

- Process was above board.
- We're paying a competitive market rate with caveats attached, by the sound of it.
- We don't own the stadium, but are leasing it.
- Yes the govt are funding a lot of the conversion, but they have to make it fit for purpose and it's an investment. Speculate to accumulate, as opposed to losing more money over time, which would be a worse deal for the taxpayer.
- PL are happy with us moving. Barry was happy with Spurs moving in. We're moving in our own borough.

So he wants to groundshare, but not pay half of it. Ok Barry, go take your medicine and wait for a phone call with further details...
HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

As pointed out by me previously Hearn should actually pay more than us as Orient would use the OS at least 23 times a year plus more home games in the cups if applicable, West Ham only 19 times a year plus cup games. Hearn would then probably try and argue his case of paying some sort of percentage in relation to average attendance, so he'd probably be looking at paying 500K rent a year and another 500K towards conversion. I don't see why the LLDC or West Ham would bother.

LLDC could make more money from making the OS available for concerts when West Ham are not at home.
Concerts for sure would attract more visitors (=paying customers) than Orient ever could...
orbital
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by orbital »

A very good opinion from an Orient supporter, which makes a change:

Vice-chair James Cassidy said: “Considering our current fanbase, turnover and Orient's available funds for investment, you would have to seriously question whether rattling around in a stadium holding 60,000, where West Ham are committing to huge rents and reconfiguration costs that we don't have, would be a good move for both the Os fans’ experience and the club.

“Many Os fans are of the view that West Ham at the Olympic Stadium could well see us pick up some disgruntled Hammers and other Premier League fans who won’t buy into the Olympic theme-park experience and prices.

“With a bit more imaginative marketing of our club to the huge potential spectator base in north east London and beyond, including targeting youngsters and the local community, it is entirely feasible to increase our small crowds at our current stadium to a level where income matches expenditure in the future.”

Full article here:

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/wfnews/10100233._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

orbital wrote:A very good opinion from an Orient supporter, which makes a change:

Vice-chair James Cassidy said: “Considering our current fanbase, turnover and Orient's available funds for investment, you would have to seriously question whether rattling around in a stadium holding 60,000, where West Ham are committing to huge rents and reconfiguration costs that we don't have, would be a good move for both the Os fans’ experience and the club.

“Many Os fans are of the view that West Ham at the Olympic Stadium could well see us pick up some disgruntled Hammers and other Premier League fans who won’t buy into the Olympic theme-park experience and prices.

“With a bit more imaginative marketing of our club to the huge potential spectator base in north east London and beyond, including targeting youngsters and the local community, it is entirely feasible to increase our small crowds at our current stadium to a level where income matches expenditure in the future.”
You see, if that prick wasn't so blinded with blagging a pound note off the Government he'd realise he may actually have a great opportunity staring him in the face. He could do a deal with us to offer a discount or incentive for Orient games when we're playing away. I and a lot of older folks used to go over there quite a lot if we weren't playing. Wouldn't touch them now with a bargepole with that **** involved.

Either way I'm sure there would be some sort of opportunity between the clubs but he's probably shot himself in the foot with that.
Fortunes always

Post by Fortunes always »

The thing I cannot understand with Hearn coming out & sprouting his crap views is that Brady,Sullivan & Gold still remain quiet when now would be an ideal time to put Hearn in his place about ALL his points of view.The confidelty clause has surely ended & yet our Owners remain quiet, surely they are not looking to do some sort of money deal to get him off of our backs.
HamburgHammer

Post by HamburgHammer »

I reckon Brady, Gold and Sullivan are keeping a dignified silence towards Hearn, being gracious winners here.
How they have managed to stay silent over all this so far I do find astonishing though.
Hopefully sometime next week the court will finally decide there are no grounds for a judicial review and that'll hopefully be the end of Hearn's babblings unless he wants to appeal to the United Nations, the pope or the Dalai Lama...
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

HamburgHammer wrote:I reckon Brady, Gold and Sullivan are keeping a dignified silence towards Hearn, being gracious winners here.
How they have managed to stay silent over all this so far I do find astonishing though.
Hopefully sometime next week the court will finally decide there are no grounds for a judicial review and that'll hopefully be the end of Hearn's babblings unless he wants to appeal to the United Nations, the pope or the Dalai Lama...

We live in hope!! :)
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

HamburgHammer wrote:.................and that'll hopefully be the end of Hearn's babblings unless he wants to appeal to the United Nations, the pope or the Dalai Lama...
Or the old fart that Shitfield United found!
eastsider

Post by eastsider »

[quote="Heysel76"][quote="HamburgHammer"].................and that'll hopefully be the end of Hearn's babblings unless he wants to appeal to the United Nations, the pope or the Dalai Lama...
Or the old fart that Shitfield United found!

LOL :lol:
eastsider

Post by eastsider »

Just been told Barry has failed with the legal chalenge!!
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

If true he'll try something else!
eastsider

Post by eastsider »

Just spoke to Wife and she said it was on the news but nothing anywhere else??!!
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Scrolling across SSN -

"Leyton Orient's application for judicial review into Olympic stadium has been thrown out"
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

As it should be it was a chancer's attempt at best.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Europe next ?
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

Leyton Orient have had their application for a judicial review into West Ham United's move to the Olympic Stadium rejected.

Orient chairman Barry Hearn vowed to continue to fight for the tenancy, believing that the option of a groundshare had been unfairly overlooked.

However, the League One club's hopes now appear to have been dashed by the courts.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/le ... 81529.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WHUTerry

Post by WHUTerry »