Now Hearn wants to ground share

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

gavrosh

Re: Now Hearn wants to ground share

Post by gavrosh »

he's plate juggling. His number 1 option is to be given the Eton manor site (the litle bit of the park in Leyton) with the temporary hockey stadium for free, but Councillors seem to have shot that down. Option 2 is a backhander for not going to court, which he now knows is very shaky after the re-tender (the OPLC's lawyers as well as our promotion have screwed him on that one). Option 3 is a free ride on the Olympic Stadium. This news indicates he's getting increasingly desperate to close some sort of deal. I seriously hope we shut him and his fans out. The vitriol they have against West Ham on their one man and his dog forums is remarkable given that many of us have supported them with our pockets in the past. No longer.
gavrosh

Post by gavrosh »

Here's the news on the Eton Manor bid, late last year:

http://walthamforestlibdems.mycouncillo ... r-refused/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

I wonder if Hearn consulted the O's fans about this? :think:

I feel sorry for them - he has no interest in the club or even football, only money.

I think G&S should try to ensure that the pitch gets minimal use during the season (other than by West Ham, of course).
The OPLC on the other hand, will want it used as often as possible.

Let's hope that, for once, money doesn't talk and G&S tell him to do one.
Persil Tickets
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Persil Tickets »

Hearn is quoted in the local paper saying
"And I look at the season ticket holders and only about five or six per cent of them are local to Leyton Orient."
I would be interested in how many season ticket holders they have. Lets be generous and say 3000. So only roughly 150 Orient fans live locally yet we are accused of killing their club if we move to the OS. I do not want to go there but the hypocrysy of Hearn is astounding.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

As I've written before the Matchroom Stadium / Brisbane Road is a perfect stadium for Orient, perfect in size and a proper football ground. Capacity around 9500 more than sufficient, this may only change IF they get into the Championship which i don't see happening anytime soon.

The only reason Hearn is desperate to leave Brisbane Road is that he wants to sell the ground for housing/business developments and earn himself a wad of cash in the process (so a bit similar to our owners trying to leave Upton Park). I can see the cunning plan, but I cannot see how Hearn is going to make the OS work for Orient without destroying his club in the process.

How ironic would that be, to move into the OS himself and this being the reason for his club's demise without West Ham having anything to do with it... :)
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

isn't this a non starter any way as I'm sure the Premiership are aganst ground shares.
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Just to put in perspective what a non-argument Hearn has. Also said that about 5% of season ticket holders are local. So the whole death of Orient is bull**** and the only reason they will die is because they're tin pot and not because of us...

Fortunes always

Post by Fortunes always »

Don't like the bloke but with regards to Orient ground sharing with us Hearn is being very clever.If Orient do manage to get into the OS he is obviously hoping that when West Ham are playing away with around 6,000 watching, the other (at the moment) 30 odd thousand will go & watch the Orient. So instead of Orient getting only 5,000, with West Ham supporters watching as well he could hope to fill maybe 15 - 20,000 at the OS.After what he has done over the last couple of years i'd hope that on principle ALL Hammers would refuse to go & watch Orient.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/richar ... ork-173385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could these Saggers and Quinny blokes be any further up Hearn's arse?
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Disgusting. I don't get this predatory pricing claim.

'A (deliberate) strategy, usually by a dominant firm, of driving competitors out of the market by setting prices below production costs. If the predator succeeds in driving existing competitors out of the market and in deterring future entry of new firms, he can subsequently raise prices and earn higher profits. Predatory pricing by dominant firms is prohibited by EU competition law as abuse of a dominant position. Prices set below average variable costs can be presumed to be predatory, because they have no other economic rationale than to eliminate competitors, since it would otherwise be more rational not to produce and sell a product that cannot be priced above average variable cost. Where prices are set below average total (but above variable) costs, some additional elements proving the predator’s intention need to be established in order to qualify them as predatory, given that other commercial considerations, like a need to clear stocks, may lie at the heart of the pricing policy'

Firstly how can you determine whether our objective is to drive Leyton Orient out of business. All seems very subjective. We are providing cheap tickets for current West Ham fans predominantly. We already do kids for a quid and stuff like that. Isn't that predatory then?

'since it would otherwise be more rational not to produce and sell a product that cannot be priced above average variable cost'

As we are not producing a product the seats are already there and it isn't costing us money to have cheap tickets the rational argument would be to get bums on seats at whatever cost then them remain empty so that money can be made via other avenues such as merchandise and food/drink. I think it would be hard to prove this is some elaborate strategy to put Orient out of business rather than just what a business would do to maximise revenue.
TurnbullHammer

Re: Leyton Orient bid to ground-share with West Ham

Post by TurnbullHammer »

beckton wrote:And Hearn flogs Brisbane Road and makes a few million quid. Which is what he's been after all the time.
Here's our winner :thup:
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

I'm not that often on London these days anyway, but IF I am the only way I would watch Orient again is at Brisbane Road.
Just the right kind of ground with the right size for the club. Pot and kettle comes to mind.

There is a reason why a club like Stockport or Oldham are not ground sharing with Man United and Man City. These grounds are far too big for clubs like Oldham or Stockport, and Man U and City have obviously no interest to ground share either.

I think West Ham as a club for once should take heed from Man U and City and politely decline, I mean no one can force us to ground share the OS if we are chosen as tenants, right ?
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Larry wrote:isn't this a non starter any way as I'm sure the Premiership are aganst ground shares.
Are there any teams whatever league that they're in that groundshare ? I don't know of any.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

If Orient bring in additional revenue, then what are the reasons for the LLDC not allowing Orient to ground share with us? As long as Orient pay the rent then why would the LLDC care? Im struggling to think of any major stumbling blocks to their bid, other then a bigger team wanting to ground share with us!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

paulhs1 wrote:If Orient bring in additional revenue, then what are the reasons for the LLDC not allowing Orient to ground share with us? As long as Orient pay the rent then why would the LLDC care? Im struggling to think of any major stumbling blocks to their bid, other then a bigger team wanting to ground share with us!
The LLDC wouldn't care, but West Ham would. They can't dictate what each individual organisation puts in its bid, they can only decide which of the submitted bids they prefer. If West Ham don't submit a groundshare bid, it can't be forced on them.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Larry wrote:isn't this a non starter any way as I'm sure the Premiership are aganst ground shares.
Not sure but Brady did say this: "While all of us at West Ham would be happy to share with athletics at the Olympic stadium, there is no way we would go into a ground-sharing agreement with a rugby club. It is a complete non-starter for us.

"Impossible, actually, as soon it will be a breach of Premier League rules to share your ground with rugby."
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Hearn radio interview:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/richar ... ork-173385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What doesn't add up is that he insists on more than one occasion that West Ham in the Olympic stadium a mile down the road means that Orient go out of business, yet somehow West Ham in the Olympic stadium with Orient in there too doesn't mean that Orient go out of business, oh no that means that Orient thrive - Begged the question why but it wasn't asked.
Hammer110

Post by Hammer110 »

If Orient put in a bid the LLDC can insist we groundshare or forget it, part of the process was once all bids were in LLDC would decide which of the bids is the best fit and offer them all a tenancy.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Is there no end to this stadium farce?
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Persil Tickets wrote:Hearn is quoted in the local paper saying "And I look at the season ticket holders and only about five or six per cent of them are local to Leyton Orient."

I would be interested in how many season ticket holders they have. Lets be generous and say 3000. So only roughly 150 Orient fans live locally yet we are accused of killing their club if we move to the OS. I do not want to go there but the hypocrysy of Hearn is astounding.
My cousin's an O's season ticket holder! Lives in Barking.