The Olympic Stadium: Poll V

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the plans by WHUFC's Board of Directors to move the Club to the Olympic Stadium?

Yes
65%
No
23%
Undecided
13%

Total votes: 970

eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Re: The Olympic Stadium: Poll V

Post by eastsider »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote:Why?

I'm just gutted as I was finally going to vote and it was closed.

Always in the past I've voted too soon so was saving this one until I'd seen something to vote for/against.

Damn & double damn.

I don't think it is closed, people have voted in the last few days.....
cockneylol

Post by cockneylol »

I always loved Upton Park (who calls it The Boleyn?), from my first game which was a loss to a Terry Conroy inspired Stoke in the early seventies right up to date. So many great memories-Bonds, Brooking Devonshire and all, but for me from the moment we went all seater and the capacity was reduced its not been the same.

I always stood on the North Bank at the rear overlooking the chicken run, and got to know most of the regulars where I stood. 4-1 against Liverpool, Alvins hat-trick against Newcastle, and so many other memories......................................

And yet, I voted for a move. If we stay where we are I think we'll forever be a yoyo club as we've been the last few years.

I feel with the move and the increse in attendance at last West Ham will be recognised as what I feel we've always been, the largest supported club in London with the biggest and best support out there. The fact that we're getting a great stadium on the cheap is just a bonus, we need to move in order for the club to become what we all deserve.
eastsider

Post by eastsider »

Well said great post!! :crest:
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

I can't wait for 10k Man United/ Tottenham/ Arsenal taking the p*ss at league games
OFT
Has liked: 2953 likes
Total likes: 1745 likes

Post by OFT »

We_are_BML wrote:I can't wait for 10k Man United/ Tottenham/ Arsenal taking the p*ss at league games
Quite a dreadful prospect.

The Olympic Stadium is becoming a millstone round our necks 2 years before we go there.
Apparently it's such a great idea that we must tolerate all manner of rubbish just to make sure we're in the top flight when the time comes. What then? will it be critical to stay in the top flight at all costs just so we can 'fill up' with Mancs and scousers to make it all add up? Will relegation now be a catatstrophe rather than the flirtation with the lower echelons that most clubs experience and really all clubs would benefit from in a 'good for the game' way?
The Olympics coming to London was a wonderful thing, a success at all levels, as a development/re-generation project and a sporting event. Sadly, however, I'm becoming of the opinion that it's main legacy will be the ruin of our wonderful club.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2633 likes
Total likes: 1176 likes

Post by EvilC »

cockneylol wrote:I always loved Upton Park (who calls it The Boleyn?), from my first game which was a loss to a Terry Conroy inspired Stoke in the early seventies right up to date. So many great memories-Bonds, Brooking Devonshire and all, but for me from the moment we went all seater and the capacity was reduced its not been the same.

I always stood on the North Bank at the rear overlooking the chicken run, and got to know most of the regulars where I stood. 4-1 against Liverpool, Alvins hat-trick against Newcastle, and so many other memories......................................

And yet, I voted for a move. If we stay where we are I think we'll forever be a yoyo club as we've been the last few years.

I feel with the move and the increse in attendance at last West Ham will be recognised as what I feel we've always been, the largest supported club in London with the biggest and best support out there. The fact that we're getting a great stadium on the cheap is just a bonus, we need to move in order for the club to become what we all deserve.
If you think we moving to a great football stadium then you are easily impressed.
JimBlythNo1

Post by JimBlythNo1 »

My first game, home to Derby Nov 1972, lost 2-1. Been going ever since, season ticket holder since 1981, when the Chicken Run started standing season tickets.

Do we have to move, I think so

Am i happy we are moving, not really, loads of memories, good and bad.

BUT

We have to keep up with "money mad" Sky football. Will get a season ticket, but, boy, its gonna be strange.
yeoman

Post by yeoman »

season ticket holder in the South Bank (BML) for 21 years, before that stood on the North Bank since 85.

myself and my fellow supporters who make up the BOYS1991 are fundamentally against the move to Stratford. If we were to be getting a state of the art football stadium then just maybe we could be persuaded or at least we would listen to the debate but the simple fact of the matter is that this stadium is unfit to host football matches and no amount of cutting and carving of the structure and introuduction of retractable seating will change this fact.

:crest: @BOYS1991
eastsider

Post by eastsider »

yeoman wrote:season ticket holder in the South Bank (BML) for 21 years, before that stood on the North Bank since 85.

myself and my fellow supporters who make up the BOYS1991 are fundamentally against the move to Stratford. If we were to be getting a state of the art football stadium then just maybe we could be persuaded or at least we would listen to the debate but the simple fact of the matter is that this stadium is unfit to host football matches and no amount of cutting and carving of the structure and introuduction of retractable seating will change this fact.

:crest: @BOYS1991

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but please look at the voting on this thread and 65% have voted for the move. The silent majority is what we seem to have voting on here with a very, very vocal minority against ??........
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

eastsider wrote:
You are obviously entitled to your opinion but please look at the voting on this thread and 65% have voted for the move. The silent majority is what we seem to have voting on here with a very, very vocal minority against ??........
Trouble is that this is a blind vote, of course in principle moving to a stadium with great transport links that holds 60,000 and cheaper tickets is a no brainer.
But we don't know what it going to look like, what the empty blocked of seats will do to the atmosphere and wether it'll be good for football and affordable. The longer it goes on the more obvious it is that they won't show real plans because we won't like them.....until they do we shouldn't have polls like this because they will quote them later as the majority being in favour and use it the silence the protests.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

Or perhaps the plans and proposed pricing structure, parking, queueing arrangments etc could have been made public and an independent poll held to determine whether the majority of fans wanted to move - before the deal was signed up. But for some reason the club didn't want to do that. I wonder why?
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Well you have to think something isn't quite right........

In principle i'm for the move but need to know a lot more than we do.
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

And Sully just confirmed the black & white seats are to remain - cost too much to change to Claret and Blue apparently!

Starting to feel we had our hoods well and truly pulled!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

1860OnceMoore wrote:And Sully just confirmed the black & white seats are to remain - cost too much to change to Claret and Blue apparently!

Who's the "we"? .

Some of us saw it coming .
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 420 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

eastsider wrote:You are obviously entitled to your opinion but please look at the voting on this thread and 65% have voted for the move. The silent majority is what we seem to have voting on here with a very, very vocal minority against ??........
How many KUMBers are season ticket holders intending to go to Stratford in a couple of years? People putting their money where the mouth is have the valid view, IMHO. 65% isn't a significant majority. It's not an overwhelming number.

I've always encouraged the move but recent developments, thoughts and the opinions of others is starting to sway me in another direction. It's going to be so plastic and not enjoyable because I'm not convinced the stadium is suitable for Premier League football.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

1860OnceMoore wrote:And Sully just confirmed the black & white seats are to remain - cost too much to change to Claret and Blue apparently!

In fairness to the club, they have been saying a long time that we won't be haivng claret & blue seats - although they may have forgotton to mention it in the propaganda that was sent out with their 'poll'.

Nothing has been said about the lower tier retractable seats, which will be new, so presumably could be claret & blue (unless they are recyling the original lower tier seats).
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1082 likes

Post by Rio »

brownout wrote: In fairness to the club, they have been saying a long time that we won't be haivng claret & blue seats - although they may have forgotton to mention it in the propaganda that was sent out with their 'poll'.

Nothing has been said about the lower tier retractable seats, which will be new, so presumably could be claret & blue (unless they are recyling the original lower tier seats).
They are recycling he existing ones for the retractable seats. These are actually already constructed as far as I am aware. Or at least one section is.

As mentioned in the GD why not just replace the black ones? Will halve the costs. It was suggested from the club that what would rather, claret & blue seats or a new 'striker'. Well seeing as £5m or £2.5m buys you so fall these days, I'd rather have a subsidy for away travel
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Can't believe people are getting worked up again over the seats colour
When fans sit on them
You won't see them
Anyway years ago we had wooden seats at the Boleyn
Claret n blue seats are a modern addition
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

mywhufc wrote:Can't believe people are getting worked up again over the seats colour

Me neither, it's the least of the problems .

However what I think people are possibly really complaining about is the lack of control over what happens in the new place .

The reality of renting is already biting .
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Just was looking for a review of the cinema at Westfield and came across this

If you're a normal, sane person -- there's not much to complain about. But then if you're someone like me, you'll be craving the smaller cinemas

It's like football stadiums. The new Wembley sucks. Arsenal's stadium sucks. Everyone craves going to places like Upton Park, White Hart Lane and Anfield. They have history. They're places where you have memorable experiences